Do most Baptists believe the Rapture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickJ

Aug 3, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
I was talking to a Baptist pastor and he preaches the rapture. I don't believe that, but I agree with a lot else he preaches and he seems very Biblical. Is the Rapture part of Baptist beliefs? Would you go to a church if it is mostly Biblical, but disagreed in one area? BTW I'm not Baptist. I'm a Christian looking for a church to be fed on the Word.

Koontzy

KJV Only Bible Believer
Feb 1, 2005
Indiana
✟791.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The word rapture is not in the bible, however the bible says that God will take his people up in the twinkling of an eye... which according to scientist is sooo fast that we will basically disappear...... I believe in the rapture, because the Bible says so... and the bible doesnt lie.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
PatrickJ said:
I was talking to a Baptist pastor and he preaches the rapture. I don't believe that, but I agree with a lot else he preaches and he seems very Biblical. Is the Rapture part of Baptist beliefs? Would you go to a church if it is mostly Biblical, but disagreed in one area? BTW I'm not Baptist. I'm a Christian looking for a church to be fed on the Word.

To answer your first question: that depends on what Baptist you talk to. There are all kinds of Baptists. Our only real areas of agreement are baptism for believers only, and a belief that the eucharist is a symbolic and memorial ordinance. While Baptists tend to be conservative, some (such as American Baptists) are very liberal.

Now in regards to the rapture. My church believes in something that we call "the rapture," but we don't believe in the rapture theology developed by John Darby in the 1830's. The rapture is a point in time when all believers on earth and under the earth (that is, dead believers too) will be raised up to heaven. This much is in the Bible, so all Christians believe in it. But the question arises: when does the rapture occur, relative to other end-time events? The Bible says that after the man of sin ("the Beast" in the Revelation to Saint John) is revealed, the earth will suffer a seven year tribulation period. When many evangelicals talk about the rapture, they're referring to a "pre-tribulation rapture." Believers in this theology say that the church will be raptured before the man of sin is revealed. This is very significant, because it implies that the church won't have to suffer tribulation.

As I said, my church denies the pre-tribulation rapture, and my pastor says that it is dangerous theology, since it encourages Christians to not prepare themselves for persecution. Furthermore, I would submit that this theology is non-traditional. Before 1830, most people understood that the rapture would occur at the end of the tribulation. The evangelical John Darby proported a new idea, and it seemed to take hold among certain believers in the American church. Finally, I would like to point out that when Saint Paul says that believers will "meet the Lord in the air," the Greek word he uses suggests a meeting in which believers come up to meet the Lord, and go back down with him to the earth. That same word is used elsewhere, in the book of Acts (remind me to look up the verse), when believers from a town go out to meet Paul, and bring him back into town. All this suggests to me that belief in a post-tribulation rapture is wiser.

Should you go to a church if it's mostly Biblical but disagrees in one area? If you consider that area to be of minor importance, then sure. For example, as much as I love my church, my pastor advocates corporal punishment for children. I happen to believe that this isn't a good idea. But it's a small enough issue for me that I don't generally give it a second thought. If eschatology isn't important to you, then I'd say you should continue attending this church. But if this is something that will be nagging at you day and night, then you should probably find a better place to fellowship.

But if you're looking for a church that truly preaches from the Bible, I think you couldn't have picked a better denomination than Baptists.

Reactions: fieldlily
Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Koontzy said:
The word rapture is not in the bible, however the bible says that God will take his people up in the twinkling of an eye... which according to scientist is sooo fast that we will basically disappear...... I believe in the rapture, because the Bible says so... and the bible doesnt lie.

That's true, the word rapture isn't in the Bible. Actually, that word comes from a Latin translation of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Hisbygrace

Carried On The Wings Of An Eagle
Sep 22, 2004
California
✟158,418.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat
I am Southern Baptist and yes we do believe in the rapture. Although the word rapture itself does not appear in the Bible, we take being taken up to mean raptured. I would only attend a church that teaches based on the Bible and even then I check what the Bible says for myself.

Upvote 0

abbygirlforever

Loved by the Father
Aug 7, 2003
NY
✟11,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Then, of course, there is the mid-trib theory in which believers are "raptured" partway into the Great Tribulation (most mid-tribbers put it at halfway through, or 3.5 years into, the GT). I tend to lean somewhat toward a mix between pre-trib and mid-trib; by that I mean that Christians will see the beginning of the GT take hold but will not have to suffer through the majority of it.

As far as persecution goes, Christians are already being persecuted all throughout the world. Christians are dying for their faith in places like China, N. Korea, etc. Christians in America face a different kind of persecution via attacks on the concept of Christianity and those who practice but (usually) without resorting to physical violence.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
abbygirlforever said:
As far as persecution goes, Christians are already being persecuted all throughout the world. Christians are dying for their faith in places like China, N. Korea, etc. Christians in America face a different kind of persecution via attacks on the concept of Christianity and those who practice but (usually) without resorting to physical violence.

I agree with the part about Christians in China, North Korea, and other places facing persecution. But I feel very strongly that American Christians don't know the meaning of persecution. Here in America, our children learn evolution in school and do not have state-sponsored worship services in class, and we call that "persecution." There was a time in Roman history when Christians would have been happy to just be left alone by the state. Here in the States, evangelical Christians have overwhelming political influence, and the worst persecution we suffer is from skeptics who intellectually attack Christianity. The fact that some Americans disagree with Christianity doesn't count as persecution. People who publish anti-Christian books, as godless and wicked as they may be, are not persecuting Christians. In America, we waste our time debating over meaningless Ten Commandments monuments. But there are places in the world where people will behead you if they learn that you believe in the Ten Commandents. Again, this isn't persecution. The church has suffered from over 200 years of dominance in America, and it has led us to be lax. I doubt many Christians (yes, even myself) would have any clue about what to do if Christianity ever became an illegal religion. That would be true persecution.

Sorry for responding with such vitrol, but it's important to realize that we American Christians are spoiled. We mustn't minimize that real persecution that other Christians suffer by comparing our small trifles with the real sufferings of Christians.

Reactions: crossrunner
Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
PatrickJ said:

Well, yes, I think it is part of baptist doctrine the rapture is inevitable and is eminent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hisbygrace said:
I am Southern Baptist and yes we do believe in the rapture. Although the word rapture itself does not appear in the Bible, we take being taken up to mean raptured. I would only attend a church that teaches based on the Bible and even then I check what the Bible says for myself.

To me the rapture is like a cult. I only also attend my church based on the teachings of Jesus Christ in the bible.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
JPPT1974 said:
To me the rapture is like a cult. I only also attend my church based on the teachings of Jesus Christ in the bible.

Well, please keep in mind that the Bible teaches the rapture. Even Catholics believe in it. It only becomes cultish when people start quitting their jobs and heading for the hills because they think Christ is coming within days. The Thessalonians did this, and Saint Paul chastized them for it.

Upvote 0

abbygirlforever

Loved by the Father
Aug 7, 2003
NY
✟11,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
arunma said:
I agree with the part about Christians in China, North Korea, and other places facing persecution. But I feel very strongly that American Christians don't know the meaning of persecution. Here in America, our children learn evolution in school and do not have state-sponsored worship services in class, and we call that "persecution." There was a time in Roman history when Christians would have been happy to just be left alone by the state. Here in the States, evangelical Christians have overwhelming political influence, and the worst persecution we suffer is from skeptics who intellectually attack Christianity. The fact that some Americans disagree with Christianity doesn't count as persecution. People who publish anti-Christian books, as godless and wicked as they may be, are not persecuting Christians. In America, we waste our time debating over meaningless Ten Commandments monuments. But there are places in the world where people will behead you if they learn that you believe in the Ten Commandents. Again, this isn't persecution. The church has suffered from over 200 years of dominance in America, and it has led us to be lax. I doubt many Christians (yes, even myself) would have any clue about what to do if Christianity ever became an illegal religion. That would be true persecution.

Sorry for responding with such vitrol, but it's important to realize that we American Christians are spoiled. We mustn't minimize that real persecution that other Christians suffer by comparing our small trifles with the real sufferings of Christians.

I do not think that how Christians are treated in America is anything compared to how Christians are treated in some countries. I know that we are not attacked and/or killed for our beliefs... yet. But I firmly believe that such a day is coming.

I in no way meant to sound like American Christians go through intense persecution, just that we have our own form of opposition.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
abbygirlforever said:
I do not think that how Christians are treated in America is anything compared to how Christians are treated in some countries. I know that we are not attacked and/or killed for our beliefs... yet. But I firmly believe that such a day is coming.

I in no way meant to sound like American Christians go through intense persecution, just that we have our own form of opposition.

Well again, the only reason I was jumping on your last post was because I want everyone to know how I feel on this issue. I'm very glad to hear that you also feel the severe persecution that our non-American brethren face.

Indeed, the day is coming when Christians will be persecuted, and would that it would come now! But at the moment, those of us who live in America have it quite cozy.

Upvote 0

Flynmonkie

The First Official FrankenMonkie ;)
Feb 23, 2004
Home of Harry Truman - Missouri
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
JPPT1974 said:
This is the first time in my life I have EVER heard this. :scratch:

arunma -Actually, I am pretty interested in why the differences. Does anyone have some trusted "scripture" supported information for each theory? (or research)

I had been raised with the idea of a pre trib rapture... pretty assured it was explained right out of the Bible. But I understand that my position could be lacking in knowledge of other perspectives. So if you have any ideas where I might find some good information comparing the different "ideas" I would love to explore this further!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HisJavajunkie

Aug 8, 2003
Idaho, USA
Visit site
✟21,988.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Along with Flyingmonkie, I have been brought up in Baptist church that definitely supports the Rapture. And all the sister churches in this area also support that view. Lastly, I must say that the Christian College that I went to supported the view of Rapture. Now all I need is assistance from others that agree with this view. I will research it and bring the support that I can find. But if others who already know Scripture that support this could enlighten me, I would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

9-iron

Football Fan
Jun 14, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟4,518.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As I said, my church denies the pre-tribulation rapture, and my pastor says that it is dangerous theology, since it encourages Christians to not prepare themselves for persecution. Furthermore, I would submit that this theology is non-traditional. Before 1830, most people understood that the rapture would occur at the end of the tribulation.

I agree with you here. As something of interest, I took on studying the tribulation, rapture and end-times about 4 years ago. To get a unbiased view I studied all trains of thought.

The problem is that all sides make a valid arguement and can use scripture to back up their point. Perhaps God did this on purpose, after all, He did say no on knows the hour of Christ's return.

Based on my study there will be a 'rapture' for lack of a better word. The problem is timing the occurence. For even more clouded view, I can't even fully support the theory of a true 7 year tribulation on earth.

I do know this. Every generation since Christ's ascension thought they were the last. My grandmother will tell you they lived in a manner of Christ's return during WWII. They were convinced beyond a shadow of doubt that Hitler was the true anti-christ. She is now 93 and so it goes.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
9-iron said:

Based on my study there will be a 'rapture' for lack of a better word. The problem is timing the occurence. For even more clouded view, I can't even fully support the theory of a true 7 year tribulation on earth.

I have to agree with this. The end-times framework commonly (7-year tribulation) taught pieces together prophecies from both the Old Testament and New Testament, which I'm just not sure is the way they were intended to be read. My current church only teaches a premillenial second coming.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat