Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I personally don’t believe “by His wounds we are healed”should be applied to physical healing,
I've seen too many miracles in the videos, often with the fruit of people turning back to God, to doubt that they occur. But the underlying question isn't whether a particular healer is honest or not, or whether the videos are accurate, it's whether the Lord heals. Matthew, whose Gospel was primarily directed to Jews, writes:

That evening they brought to him many who were oppressed by demons, and he cast out the spirits with a word and healed all who were sick.
This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah: “He took our illnesses and bore our diseases.” --Matt 8:16-17​

Here Matthew explicitly ties physical healing (as well as deliverance from demons) to the Isaiah 53 passage in question:

Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed -Isa 53:4-5​

The Hebrew word for grief there is literally 'sickness', and many of the literal translations accordingly render it as sickness, disease, infirmities, afflictions, etc.. And the word for sorrows is 'pain', which can be spiritual, emotional or physical. So Matthew's use of the verse is entirely legitimate. Physical healing is part of the atonement.

The problem, as I see it, is that we often see physical healing not happen in our lives, and so we adjust our theology to accommodate it, rather than hold the Word to be true and press on into the healing. We sometimes can form a hard shell of unbelief, all the worse for being draped in our own private theology, that prevents the Lord's healing grace from penetrating. It is just like it was with some people in the Gospels.

I'm in the process of dealing myself with an area where healing didn't happen the way I wanted, and in the time frame I wanted. But rather than abandon belief in the healing, I'm pressing on, looking for the dietary changes that will cooperate with God's will to heal me, which I still affirm. This not only keeps me in line for the eventual healing, it gives me spiritual protection in the now. Even some of Jesus' healings were done as a process, so we shouldn't be surprised that things aren't always instant.

God allows troubles into our lives to teach us things, to bring needed change, and to build character. But His will for our wellbeing does not change. Sickness has no inherent good purpose, so the sooner we move into the faith realm, the sooner we can shed useless infirmities for the wellbeing our good God wants for us.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I used to watch these healing/healers videos on YouTube and truly believed them. I believed they would be the cure to my illness..I watched many..not just street healers but prayers online. I really believed a healer could heal me as in the bible as Peter did, Jesus and John. I watched videos on it and believed one could touch me and heal me. I prayed it silently when I was on the street. My prayers for healing didn’t work and they still don’t. I do believe God keeps me alive despite my illnesses..for some reason I guess.

I personally don’t believe “by His wounds we are healed”should be applied to physical healing, but they use it a lot. I believed prayers would heal me. I still believe they can heal someone. I have also tried “self exorcisms” which haven’t worked but have seen work (despite the person administrating it having trouble getting them all out)

I watched this recently
and it opened my eyes to how fake these healings can be. I personally think Benny Hinn and a lot of this other ones are fake and use a form of hypnosis. Lots of people walk away healed from healers only for it to return.

So are modern day healers real?
The Lord heals people all the time. Whether or not he uses people to accomplish this sometimes, I don't know.

Upvote 0

shannon T daringer

Apr 29, 2018
Lancaster
✟8,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doubtful..even Jesus said.. its easier to say 'be healed' rather than 'your sins are forgiven'.
He was not out to heal physical needs (thpugh it happened) he wished for a spiritual clease. If someone truely had this gift..they would be walking thru hospitals curing everything.

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
um i dont know, i never saw that yet..Jesus has authority over us and gave us commandments and what to do already, (you don't really need only hands to heal someone, his words can heal us and live a bit longer, love can heal people too, like he says love others and God and he'll do the rest)..... but i think if he really wanted to work thru someone he would give that person authority by working through them...etc.

Upvote 0