Do messianics do lent?

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
Actually we use the original Calendar. Ever wonder why Easter moves around so much? its because its actually following a set date on the Jewish calendar (while removing any Jewish references to it).

Catholics are more observant than most ever realize. ;)

Purim occurs before the Passover and could be possibly construed as Lent. Though certainly no fasting goes on. Rather its a celebration of deliverance from your enemies, whereas Lent is about where Yeshua was delivered to his enemies (correct?).

Upvote 0

sklippstein

Nov 2, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,351.00
Faith
Catholic
Today at 01:14 AM Ruhama said this:
Lent is about Jesus' forty day fast in the wilderness.

It's a little more than just that; Lent and Easter season is a time of the Church's annual renewal and revival in rites of celebration of the Paschal Mystery, Christ's death and resurrection. Christians make this annual retreat together as one family in Christ, that we may all be invigorated and inspired for our mission to bring Christ to the world. We cannot become fruitful missionaries unless we are filled with Christ. We cannot carry His life- giving message of Salvation to our families and to the world unless we comprehend it ourselves. We cannot bring the revealing Light of Christ into the darkness of the world unless this Light blazes within our own hearts.

Prior to the Second Vatican Council, the pre-Lenten penetential season began on the Sunday three weeks before the beginnng of Lent, called Septuagesima. The word Septuagesima (seventieth) was a supposed to be a reminder of the seventy years of the Babylonian captivity of the Jewish people, and thus of our captivity in sin, although this Sunday was actually only sixty-three days before Easter. The succeeding pre-lenten Sundays were called Sexagesima and Quinquagesima. Just as in Lent, violet vestments were worn and the Alleluia was omitted from Mass.

The main current of Lent must flow through the interior man, through hearts and consciences. The essential effort of repentance consists in this. In this effort the human determination to be converted to God is invested with the predisposing grace of conversion and, at the same time, of forgiveness and of spiritual liberation."

This reflection by Pope John Paul II in Lent of 1979, recorded in a collection of his meditations, "The Light of Christ," indicates the attitude with which we should approach our observance of this penitential season--a season which begins with a sign of repentance so ancient as to be almost lost in antiquity, and continues with penitential action equally ageless.

Putting ashes on our heads as a form of penitence is a practice inherited from Jewish tradition....

The ashes imposed on our foreheads on Ash Wednesday are a reminder of our unworthiness and sinfulness--sinfulness which corrupts and stains us and leads to death (we return to the dust from whence we came.) Ashes remind us of our original sin and our need of redemption--our need to be cleansed of sin and made worthy of Salvation....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chelcb

'Totus tuus'
Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,163.00
Today at 07:05 PM Pray4Isrel said this in Post #17

No we do focus on Yeshua as well.   
I am saying that we have celebrations and feasts where Yeshua (Jesus) is definitely recognized and celebrated.

Oh.

and I thought I was getting this messianic stuff down pat ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ruhama

25 'הושע ב
Feb 5, 2003
Visit site
✟891.00
Faith
Messianic
I think you had it right, chelcb, P4I is just saying that within the Jewish holidays Jesus is celebrated because his life has bearing on the meaning of the festivals, but there are no specifically JESUS holidays in the Messianic faith like there are in the gentile Christian counterparts (i.e. like how Easter or Christmas are specifically set aside to celebrate Jesus' life and nothing else).

Upvote 0

chelcb

'Totus tuus'
Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,163.00
Yesterday at 11:21 PM Ruhama said this in Post #20

I think you had it right, chelcb, P4I is just saying that within the Jewish holidays Jesus is celebrated because his life has bearing on the meaning of the festivals, but there are no specifically JESUS holidays in the Messianic faith like there are in the gentile Christian counterparts (i.e. like how Easter or Christmas are specifically set aside to celebrate Jesus' life and nothing else).

Well do you all celebrate or focus specifically at all on the resurrection or Good Friday at all with in the Jewish feasts? I mean do y’all give these mysteries specific mention in the Jewish Passover?

For us and I am sure you to, Jesus’ resurrection is how we know he was/is God and his sufferings brought us redemption so remembering them is very special. Do you do this with in the Jewish feasts? 

Upvote 0