Do many atheists pray to God, just in case?

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do atheists pray to God, just in case? What about agnostics?

What is prayer?

I consider " Oh God! " Etc etc to be a prayer, or the start of one, so every atheist who says this or any variant is hypocritically praying.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am reminded of the time on the cartoon called Metalocalypse when they were visiting different kinds of churches. They even went to an atheist church, it was hilarious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nine of Spades

♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤
Nov 13, 2020
Texas
✟28,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do atheists pray to God, just in case? What about agnostics?

An atheist doesn't believe in God for the same reason Christians don't believe in Thor, Odin, and Zeus. For this reason, a Christian wouldn't pray to a pagan deity "just in case," whatever you mean by that. Why would atheists think any differently about the biblical god? In their minds, God is a mythological invention of human imagination, so they don't pray to him.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
What is prayer?

I consider " Oh God! " Etc etc to be a prayer, or the start of one, so every atheist who says this or any variant is hypocritically praying.
I don't agree.
For most people, words like "Oh God" or "Christ", are just expletives, they come out of the mouth just like "Oh $**t" or "F**k" does, and that's why such words are so often combined in an explosion of swearing.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't agree.
For most people, words like "Oh God" or "Christ", are just expletives, they come out of the mouth just like "Oh $**t" or "F**k" does, and that's why such words are so often combined in an explosion of swearing.

Yes that is how they are using those words, but how does God view it?

Is blasphemy by an atheist any less blasphemy because they don't believe in God?

Would a traffic policeman let a speeder off because the speeder didn't believe in speed limits?

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The part of the brain that has to do with saying cuss words is a kind of warning mechanism. Perhaps unconsciously people may not like to hear such things because it reminds them of danger or something negative or because such things should occur only when there is danger or else it would be a false alarm.

It has also been proven that when you get hurt and cuss that it lessens the pain. I cannot be against what will lessen someones suffering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Yes that is how they are using those words, but how does God view it?

Is blasphemy by an atheist any less blasphemy because they don't believe in God?

Would a traffic policeman let a speeder off because the speeder didn't believe in speed limits?
The foul words an unregenerate uses against God are irrelevant, even if he lived a perfect life, it still wouldn't get him to heaven.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The foul words an unregenerate uses against God are irrelevant, even if he lived a perfect life, it still wouldn't get him to heaven.

No where have I implied this.
What I have said is atheist who blaspheme are hypocrites as they are praying to a being they say does not exist.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
No where have I implied this.
What I have said is atheist who blaspheme are hypocrites as they are praying to a being they say does not exist.
OK, but it didn't come across like that.

Upvote 0