WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m not trying to sound vain or anything but I want honest answers.

When it comes to finding a potential partner, to you- do looks come first before personality or does their personality overcome their looks?

Should looks matter or is it a 50/50 thing?

If you saw someone who you found physically attracted to but found out their personality wasn’t compatible with yours, would you still pursue them?

Do you have any interesting stories to share around this topic?

Personally, the look of a person wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me, but there are certain things in a man that I would find physically attracted to such as his eyes, height or hands lol overall I would have to be attracted to his personality as well, more importantly his faith and love for God.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

When it comes to finding a potential partner, to you- do looks come first before personality or does their personality overcome their looks?

I like good looks, a good personality, and good character, and good values. I'm greedy like that.

The question of "should looks matter" needs to take a back seat to the question of "do looks matter" - because they do for most people. There's no use in trying to deny that through guilt or moralizing. It's going to be unsuccessful, and the person you're trying to give a fair chance that you're not attracted to is going to get hurt as a result. (I've done that - never again.) Besides, I think most people would rather be truly desired, than simply accepted by partners who don't find them attractive. If there's no attraction, don't force it. As for myself, I'd rather she be truly attracted to me than trying to force it. If she's not attracted, I want to move on as fast as possible.

If you saw someone who you found physically attracted to but found out their personality wasn’t compatible with yours, would you still pursue them?
Usually not, though I have rarely allowed myself to remain attracted and even hope it could kind of work even though I knew it wouldn't. Sometimes the magnetism is just that powerful.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Personally, the look of a person wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me, but there are certain things in a man that I would find physically attracted to such as his eyes, height or hands lol overall I would have to be attracted to his personality as well, more importantly his faith and love for God.

I fell hard for one woman in my life, later entered a relationship with, that I thought was super unattractive looking, until I reached out to know her. I remember the time that happened, we were watching a play and I just stared at her thinking about her and that's when everything about her changed in a blink of an eye. I couldn't help but compare all other women with her. :grimacing:

This has happened a few times in my life.

I realized that when you get to know a person, the way you look at them changes. So that is one of my reasons why I have tried not to place too much importance and emphasis on how they look.

Upvote 0

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Besides, I think most people would rather be truly desired, than simply accepted by partners who don't find them attractive. If there's no attraction, don't force it.
This is absolutely true.

Upvote 0

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I fell hard for one woman in my life, later entered a relationship with, that I thought was super unattractive looking, until I reached out to know her. I remember the time that happened, we were watching a play and I just stared at her thinking about her and that's when everything about her changed in a blink of an eye. I couldn't help but compare all other women with her. :grimacing:

This has happened a few times in my life.

I realized that when you get to know a person, the way you look at them changes. So that is one of my reasons why I have tried not to place too much importance and emphasis on how they look.
I was hoping for a happy ending but happy that you’ve learnt this.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I put its a balance because I don't know that you could have a partner that you found you didn't like how they looked.
It would have to be equally personality with looks but really the first priority would be they would have to be Christian before looks and anything else, then an animal lover, kind, mellow.
I don't mean they have to be super handsome but at least pleasant.
But its really up to the individual unless they are so shallow they go on looks alone.

Certain features can also suit some people ie less than perfect nose etc.

It must be remembered anyway that looks do fade in time whereas personality usually doesnt .

However as I'm old and happily permenantly single it doesn't really apply to me!;)

• Friendly
Reactions: Mel2020
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,128.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I've believed for a long time that looks matter in some way to everyone. How much of a consideration they are and what is considered attractive will vary from person to person.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It's all fine and dandy when she says, "I want a man that can follow me in the footsteps of the Lord...but he also must be 6 feet tall....tee hee"

Of corse, she's only 5'4".

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m guilty of this unfortunately!

You may want to be more flexible in that department. Esp. if your short yourself. Just saying. :) I mean, it would make sense if you're a tall woman. Like 5'7" or more.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You may want to be more flexible in that department. Esp. if your short yourself. Just saying. :) I mean, it would make sense if you're a tall woman. Like 5'7" or more.
I meant the part about being attracted to tall men. Lol.

I’m actually 5”9, which sometimes for someone my height, most men I come across are either shorter or same height.

Upvote 0

VMaeLove

Selbst ist die Frau
Jul 30, 2019
Saxony-Anhalt
✟124,235.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I vote Yes They Do.
What you see tell a lot about a person, how they choose to present their self, always there is a reason.
People are not 'ugly', but they care or do not. I like the one that care because the one who does not will bring you down.

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I meant the part about being attracted to tall men. Lol.

I’m actually 5”9, which sometimes for someone my height, most men I come across are either shorter or same height.
Most men,in the USA,are between 5'9'' and 5'10" tall.Since the average American Male is less than 6'0" tall,most American Women are mathematically eliminating their chances of finding a good man.
Yes,I am 5'9" tall. Therefore,I know from experience.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0