Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mormonism and Mormon doctrine is offensive to me but it is allowed in this sub-forum. My post was responsive to He is the ways' post. I think my post is a good response. Keep moving.

• Agree
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A person could say that the New Testament does not agree with the old Testament.
That person would be incorrect.
Certainly the sermon on the mount was different as it was the higher law.
The sermon on the mount was not a "law", let alone a "higher law".
When Jesus was asked who was his neighbor, Jesus responded with the parable of the good Samaritan. He then said go and do likewise. The reason I say this is that being different does not mean that they do not agree. Neither does LDS doctrine disagree disagree with the Bible in that sense. It only disagrees with what you are being taught just as Christ's teachings disagreed with what the Jews were being taught.
Your comparison is incorrect. Christ pointed out the false teachings by the Pharisees that had crept in over time. LDS doctrine is not pointing out the false teachings of Christianity over time. It is introducing false teachings under the guise of "revelation" by a false prophet(s) and those who follow him/them. In your example, it would be like the Jews trying to teach Jesus that his teachings are the false ones.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe this supports the fact that there are worlds without end and that one day we will inherit them.
Your belief is incorrect. You are not Israel. The passage is talking about their everlasting salvation. In fact, verse 18 talks about God creating the earth to be inhabited, not other worlds.

Really bad cherry picking of Scripture on your part.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That person would be incorrect.

The sermon on the mount was not a "law", let alone a "higher law".

Your comparison is incorrect. Christ pointed out the false teachings by the Pharisees that had crept in over time. LDS doctrine is not pointing out the false teachings of Christianity over time. It is introducing false teachings under the guise of "revelation" by a false prophet(s) and those who follow him/them. In your example, it would be like the Jews trying to teach Jesus that his teachings are the false ones.
This is what Jesus taught about the law when He gave us the sermon on the mount:

(New Testament | Matthew 5:27 - 48)

27 ¶ Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut if off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
33 ¶ Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

This is definitely a higher law than the mosaic law.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Mormonism and Mormon doctrine is offensive to me but it is allowed in this sub-forum. My post was responsive to He is the ways' post. I think my post is a good response. Keep moving.

(Old Testament | Exodus 28:2 - 4)

2 And thou shalt make holy garments for Aaron thy brother for glory and for beauty.
3 And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron's garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.
4 And these are the garments which they shall make; a breastplate, and an ephod, and a robe, and a broidered coat, a mitre, and a girdle: and they shall make holy garments for Aaron thy brother, and his sons, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mormon Garments [[UNLIKE AARONIC PRIESTLY GARMENTS]]
- are worn by FEMALES too.
- do not include breastplate ephod, robe, mitre or girdle.

LDS garments are no Aaronic Garment parallel.
My underwear is a garment as well; but it is not sacred. (Some ARE holey, I must admit).

• Haha
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is what Jesus taught about the law when He gave us the sermon on the mount:

(New Testament | Matthew 5:27 - 48)

27 ¶ Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut if off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
33 ¶ Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

This is definitely a higher law than the mosaic law.
The sermon on the mount is 3 chapters long, yet you cherry pick these select few. Why? You conveniently leave out Matthew 7:15-20 which talks about false prophets, of which your church has plenty. An explanation of the "law" does not make it a "higher" law. Sometimes, a great sermon is just that - a great sermon.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Mormon Garments [[UNLIKE AARONIC PRIESTLY GARMENTS]]
- are worn by FEMALES too.
- do not include breastplate ephod, robe, mitre or girdle.

LDS garments are no Aaronic Garment parallel.
My underwear is a garment as well; but it is not sacred. (Some ARE holey, I must admit).
We do believe that the garment is indeed holy and purposeful as was the holy garment worn by Aaron. Members of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints are not the only ones to wear special clothing for religious reasons.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The sermon on the mount is 3 chapters long, yet you cherry pick these select few. Why? You conveniently leave out Matthew 7:15-20 which talks about false prophets, of which your church has plenty. An explanation of the "law" does not make it a "higher" law. Sometimes, a great sermon is just that - a great sermon.
Do you believe I should have posted the entire sermon? No I wouldn't do that nor would I try to post the entire Bible. I did post what was necessary to establish the fact that the sermon on the mount is indeed about the Mosaic law and that it was updated by Jesus Christ. He gave us a more loving update to the Mosaic law. Most likely many of His disciples did not want to LOVE their enemies. They did not want to turn the other cheek. To me this is a higher law of LOVE. This is a better way to know God and to LOVE as He LOVES.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't go around checking people's underwear or finding out why they wear it. There may be others such as fundamentalists.

I have studied fundamentalism and I know of no group that wears sacred undergarments. Google only came up with Mormons.

I challenge you to name the group(s)

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I have studied fundamentalism and I know of no group that wears sacred undergarments. Google only came up with Mormons.

I challenge you to name the group(s)
There are people who have sold them on Ebay most likely to fundamentalists or some other break off group. It won't be on Google because they would not admit it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums