Do Jews and Christians believe in the same God?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Jews worship God the Father because that is who he is to them: the great creator of the earth, the father of the nation of Israel, and the father of God's anointed. They believe in the Messiah, who has not yet come, and the Holy Spirit.

The Torah refers to the first five books of the Bible, not to the complete Old Testament (or Hebrew Bible).

If Jews only believe in the first five books of the Old Testament, then why do they believe in the Messiah, which is mentioned in the book of Isaiah and is not a part of the Torah?

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If Jews only believe in the first five books of the Old Testament, then why do they believe in the Messiah, which is mentioned in the book of Isaiah and is not a part of the Torah?

He was correcting your comment where you said, "Old Testament, aka The Torah". He wasn't saying the Jews don't believe the Hebrew Bible.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
He was correcting your comment where you said, "Old Testament, aka The Torah". He wasn't saying the Jews don't believe the Hebrew Bible.

What makes you think Jews only believe in the Torah? They believe in the Hebrews Bible, the 39 books of the old testament.

Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Judaism is a monotheistic religion, with the Torah as its foundational text (part of the larger text known as the Tanakh or Hebrew Bible), and supplemental oral tradition represented by later texts such as the Midrash and the Talmud. Judaism is considered by religious Jews to be the expression of the covenantal relationship that God established with the Children of Israel.[5]

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What makes you think Jews only believe in the Torah? They believe in the Hebrews Bible, the 39 books of the old testament.

Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Umm. I don't think that. I was quoting YOU. Note the Wiki article (which is NOT a scholarly source) says that the Torah is PART of the Hebrew Bible. They believe the WHOLE Hebrew Bible, Torah and all.

Upvote 0

FoxyRoxy

Truth Seeker
Sep 11, 2014
✟15,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do realize that. That's why this thread (and many other threads) is ludicrous. God is too big for anyone to nail him down to the "One True Way" to worship him. None of us--Christians or Jews, Ancient or Contemporary--can begin to fathom just exactly who he is.

The bottom line is that God is fully sovereign and, if you fully realize that and all the implications of that realization, then you worship him as best you can using the knowledge you have. But, as soon as you start thinking that God needs any of us for his purpose to be fulfilled or that he's anxiously waiting for us to make a decision to follow him, then whatever method you use for worship is meaningless.

Do you also include Muslims in the same group then? Even Jesus called God, The Father, El Abba Allah Yahweh.

Upvote 0
I

iluvtheSims

If Jews accept Christ as the one true savior, the trinity, and God in the flesh then yes they are saved and do worship the same God. If they do not accept the trinity or Jesus as God in the flesh then I would wonder if they are truly saved, but that is up to God to decide.

Also may I add, muslims if they do not accept Jesus then they are not saved, and no muslims do not worship the same God. Their allah, is not the God of the Jews and Christians. islam is not a religion of peace either, I would even go as far as to say that their god allah is truly the devil in disguise. They may not mean to be worshipping the devil, but they are. The bible even says that the devil can disguise himself as an angel of light.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If Jews accept Christ as the one true savior, the trinity, and God in the flesh then yes they are saved and do worship the same God. If they do not accept the trinity or Jesus as God in the flesh then I would wonder if they are truly saved, but that is up to God to decide.

Also may I add, muslims if they do not accept Jesus then they are not saved, and no muslims do not worship the same God. Their allah, is not the God of the Jews and Christians. islam is not a religion of peace either, I would even go as far as to say that their god allah is truly the devil in disguise. They may not mean to be worshipping the devil, but they are. The bible even says that the devil can disguise himself as an angel of light.

How were people in the Old Testament saved, if they didnt know about Jesus dying on the cross?

That doesnt make any sense to me. The Allah of Islam is not the christian devil. Mohammad's concept of God was influenced by pre-islamic arabian religions, for the most part. Is the Quran An Implicit Endorsement and Continuation of Arab Paganism?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
.... not to mention where the pagan ideas in christendom came from....(opposed to Scripture, but held to as tightly as any tradition of man)

in my case you would need to define christendom . because if you referring to the rcc version.. i have no part with it.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

You or no one needs to accept the trinity doctrine to be saved. It was not even invented in concept by "man" until many years after Christ our Lord died and rose.....it came to being by the hands of the Catholic church. There is no teaching of it by the OT, NT or by any of the Apostles. No scripture says you have to believe in the "trinity doctrine" to be saved. The NT is full of what is required to be saved.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you also include Muslims in the same group then? Even Jesus called God, The Father, El Abba Allah Yahweh.

Mohammed created a corrupted version of God. They can call their god whatever they want, but that doesn't make it God. They worship words on a page and nothing more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
correction.. many jews or peoples of israeli descent..believe and have accepted that Jesus is the messiah.
Paul,after all was a jew in the absolute meaning of what a jew is.
The bulk do not yet recognize Jesus Is the one the father sent..but they believe in the same father..

:) ... more and more and more and ... ... ... ... (Jews) looking to Yhvh
hopefully
joyfully
encouragingly
desperately
finally
exultantly
rejoicingly

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:) ... more and more and more and ... ... ... ... (Jews) looking to Yhvh
hopefully
joyfully
encouragingly
desperately
finally
exultantly
rejoicingly

Do messianic Jews or messianic Christians believe Jesus is God? Also I wonder if the belief Jesus is God, is the reason some think Jews worship a different God. The OP and others imply it.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do messianic Jews or messianic Christians believe Jesus is God? Also I wonder if the belief Jesus is God, is the reason some think Jews worship a different God. The OP and others imply it.

messianic refers to the messiah -the one anointed of God
in english "the anointed one" is spelt Christ .(of course of greek origin but now fully incorporated to english use.
so no jew or israeli would refer to them selves as messianic..unless,they believe in the Christ ..Jesus our Lord and only saviour.

and we all believe in the God of Abraham.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
messianic refers to the messiah -the one anointed of God
in english "the anointed one" is spelt Christ .(of course of greek origin but now fully incorporated to english use.
so no jew or israeli would refer to them selves as messianic..unless,they believe in the Christ ..Jesus our Lord and only saviour.

and we all believe in the God of Abraham.

Thanks Michael, I agree with the definition, but I was asking if messianic Jews believed Jesus is the Son of God, or God the Son? I would be surprised if a Jew believes Jesus is God, which is why the OP thinks they worship a different God.

Would you agree with the following quote from Wikipedia?

"Messianic Judaism is a syncretic[1] religious movement that arose in the 1960s and 70s.[9] It blends evangelical Christian theology with elements of religious Jewish practice and terminology.[14] Messianic Judaism generally holds that Jesus is both the Jewish Messiah and "God the Son" (one person of the Trinity),[18] though some within the movement do not hold to Trinitarian beliefs.[19] With few exceptions, both the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament are believed to be authoritative and divinely inspired scripture."

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh ..i see what you mean ..i think youll find in most cases they believe he is the word of God manifest as fleshas we do.
Perhaps not all...but youd have to pop over and ask them .
Messianic judaism is distinctly different from messianic jews or israelis .
The judaism part clings to observance..but is split..some say you must observe law..not to get rightous but because christ made you so,,and some say you cant be rightous if you dont..there is merit in the first ,none in the second snd both sort of miss the point.
But so do western church denominations.we too believe some same foundational truth yet cling to utterly non and anti bible traditions.
I wont even bother listing them.. they are to obvious

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Messianic Judaism is a Christian denomination. They worship in Jewish context, just as every other denomination worships in a particular cultural context. You might say that their beliefs, rituals, etc. are closer to biblical than other denominations since Christianity has its roots in a Jewish culture. Much of the language, customs, and imagery can't be translated accurately into a culture as foreign as our own. Jesus was a Jew and the earliest church was, for all intents and purposes, 100% Jewish. The first believers were Messianic Jews.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

thankfully, in union with ABBA and Yahshua, all ecclesia know experientially.

others, (any and all) , with the mind think all kinds of different things.

there may be no way (for men) to change anyone else's mind.

thankfully, in union with ABBA and Yahshua, all ecclesia have the mind of Messiah Yahshua. (Yhvh knows how to work all things out).

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is an interesting thread. I was prepared to fight you to the end, defending the idea that Jews and Christians do worship the same God. But Steve Peterson's posts (and his faith icon says Messianic) have stated, with authority, that we do not worship the same God.

So, I think I'll change sides on this, with the caveat that Modern Jews do not worship the same God as Christians, but that Christians do worship the same God as 1st century Jews.

How can you say that Christians worship the same god as the ancient Jews, if the ancient Jews believed the Messiah would be a King in the literal sense and not somebody who died for their sins?

Upvote 0