Do Jews and Christians believe in the same God?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some Jewish people, such as Messianic Jews, believe in both the OT, and the NT that Jesus revealed to humanity. They still keep their Jewish religious and cultural traditions, while believing in the New Testament. However, most Jewish people reject Jesus and view him as a false prophet, deny what the New Testament says about the nature of God (such as the Holy Spirit and the Trinity-which are all implied in the Torah, which is both the Christian and Jewish Old Testament.)

Even though the OT (the Torah) speaks of Jesus being the coming Messiah to pay the price for the sins of humanity, many Jews not only reject Jesus being the Messiah, but they reject the doctrine of the Messiah being God in the flesh who dies for the sins of the world. They view the Messiah as a political figure, a doctrine not in the Bible. They dont just believe in the Old Testament-they also believe in extrabibical writings like the Talmud and the writings and traditions of rabbis, etc. The Jewish Talmud contains writings of hatred against Jesus, the God that Christians worship.

Moses and Abraham and the other OT people didnt know directly about the Holy Spirit, the Trinity, or Jesus the Messiah dying for their sins, but they didnt deny it after it was revealed to them, like most Jews do now.

Here is the reason some people view the God of Judaism as the same as the God of Christianity. Mohler says Jews worship different God

___Mohler's assessment that Muslims worship a different God than Christians is not likely to draw protest from Baptists, but his distinction between the God of Judaism and Christianity could. Many Baptists--conservatives and moderates alike--see Christianity as a fulfillment or extension of Judaism and have sought to build bridges between the two religions.

Yes, Jews believe in the Old Testament, but Muslims also believe in Adam and Even, Noah, King David, Solomon, and the other OT prophets, etc.

The Jewish OT, is of course, much more similar to the Christian OT than what Islam believes. The Jewish OT is part of God's revelation to humanity, while the Islamic belief of Judeo Christian OT prophets is simply Mohammad copying and pasting stories from the Bible, changing it a bit (Islam believes extrabibical things like Abraham building religious monuments in Arabia, among many other things). That's what makes the topic of this thread a bit tricky. Jews dont just believe in the same OT prophets Christians believe in-they also believe in the Old Testament, which is God's revelation to humanity. But they also deny the other half of God's revelation to humanity-and even key doctrines relating to God, which the OT mentions.

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jews and Christians do beleive in the same God, but see him differently.

Both believe in the Father.
Both believe in the Spirit, but Jews do not believe that the Spirit is internalized in people while Christians do.
Both believe in a physical manifestation of God (God in the Garden, God standing and talking to Abraham, etc), but the Jews deny that Jesus of Nazareth was that physical manifestation.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jews and Christians do beleive in the same God, but see him differently.

Both believe in the Father.
Both believe in the Spirit, but Jews do not believe that the Spirit is internalized in people while Christians do.
Both believe in a physical manifestation of God (God in the Garden, God standing and talking to Abraham, etc), but the Jews deny that Jesus of Nazareth was that physical manifestation.

What Jews Believe: Essay #6: Gd Is One

Jews do not believe in a trinity. The Jewish idea of Gd is that Gd is One and Indivisible. Gd cannot be divided up into separate parts, where each part is unequal to each of the other parts, yet somehow they are one and the same. The Hebrew Scriptures describe Gd as an absolute One, but the Christian Scriptures describe Gd as divisible into three parts called a trinity.

Upvote 0

FoxyRoxy

Truth Seeker
Sep 11, 2014
✟15,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jews, Christians, and Muslims have roots in the belief of the same God.
All the major Abrahamic religions claim a direct lineage to Abraham:

Abraham is recorded in the Torah as the ancestor of the Israelites through his son Isaac, born to Sarah through a promise made in Genesis. (17:16)

The sacred text of Christianity is the Christian Bible, the first part of which, the Old Testament, is derived from the Jewish Bible, leading to similar ancestry claims... though most Christians are "gentiles" who consider themselves as grafted into the family tree under the New Covenant.

It is the Islamic tradition that Muhammad, as an Arab, is descended from Abraham's son Ishmael. Jewish tradition also equates the descendants of Ishmael, Ishmaelites, with Arabs.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Right. That's what I was saying. To the Jews, God is one, but can manifest any way he chooses. Christians create a differentiation between the Father, Spirit, and Son, but not (as that quote you provided says) in a way that divides the three. That quote implies that Christians divide God into a pantheon of three gods and that is simply not true.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Right. That's what I was saying. To the Jews, God is one, but can manifest any way he chooses. Christians create a differentiation between the Father, Spirit, and Son, but not (as that quote you provided says) in a way that divides the three. That quote implies that Christians divide God into a pantheon of three gods and that is simply not true.

How can Jews worship the same God as Christians if they believe God has a different nature from what Christians believe in? I dont they they worship the same god. Both Jews and Muslims have different interpretations of who God is and what he does-which is why I believe they BOTH worship a different god than Christians.

For political and social reasons, people associate Judaism and Christianity as being similar religions (unlike with Islam)-but that doesnt mean we worship the same god as them.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Jews today know about Jesus, but only see Him as a Prophet --not deity. In the OT they were all responsible to Jehovah-God, who is still overall. We appreciate Him as our Father in Heaven and mind of the Godhead; and the Lord Jesus --the Christ of God, as our Redeemer --which is the Godhead manifest in the Person of a man to manifest Himself and go to the Cross for our redemption. God is wonderful and beyond our best understandings.

We should note that any Israelite today who is converted and embraces the Lord Jesus is what is known as a messianic Jew or messianic Christian.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Jews today know about Jesus, but only see Him as a Prophet --not deity. In the OT they were all responsible to Jehovah-God, who is still overall. We appreciate Him as our Father in Heaven and mind of the Godhead; and the Lord Jesus --the Christ of God, as our Redeemer --which is the Godhead manifest in the Person of a man to manifest Himself and go to the Cross for our redemption. God is wonderful and beyond our best understandings.

We should note that any Israelite today who is converted and embraces the Lord Jesus is what is known as a messianic Jew or messianic Christian.

Jews dont view Jesus as a prophet-Muslims do. Jews view Jesus as a false prophet. What makes you think Jews believe Jesus is a prophet?

I agree-messianic Jews are christians, but most Jews dont believe in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How can Jews worship the same God as Christians if they believe God has a different nature from what Christians believe in? I dont they they worship the same god. Both Jews and Muslims have different interpretations of who God is and what he does-which is why I believe they BOTH worship a different god than Christians.

For political and social reasons, people associate Judaism and Christianity as being similar religions (unlike with Islam)-but that doesnt mean we worship the same god as them.

Jesus was a Jew. If Christians worship a different God than the Jews, and Jesus worshiped the God of the Jews, and we worship Jesus, then we are the ones worshiping the false god(s).

But, you are right that Jews and Muslims agree that Christians are not worshiping God correctly (i.e. that we are blasphemers and polytheists). But, as I explained earlier, the Jews do actually acknowledge the three manifestations of God (the Creator, the Breath/Spirit, and the physical manifestion). The Muslims have created an anti-God out of their moon god, Allah, and are completely apostate.

Upvote 0

Dan61861

7 days without God, makes one weak.
Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We do not worship the same God.

John said I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. Christ said to the Jews,Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.

I do believe one day the nation of Israel will be grafted back in, that day may be closer than we realize. I pray for that day.

May God bless Israel.

In Christ
Daniel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jews, Christians, and Muslims have roots in the belief of the same God.
All the major Abrahamic religions claim a direct lineage to Abraham:

Abraham is recorded in the Torah as the ancestor of the Israelites through his son Isaac, born to Sarah through a promise made in Genesis. (17:16)

The sacred text of Christianity is the Christian Bible, the first part of which, the Old Testament, is derived from the Jewish Bible, leading to similar ancestry claims... though most Christians are "gentiles" who consider themselves as grafted into the family tree under the New Covenant.

It is the Islamic tradition that Muhammad, as an Arab, is descended from Abraham's son Ishmael. Jewish tradition also equates the descendants of Ishmael, Ishmaelites, with Arabs.

you started talking about God... then you switched to abraham..
the common denominator is abraham..
the God of israel and the God of islam are diametrically opposed .

one spoke and his word became flesh-Jesus

the other spirit denies that Jesus is LORD (God incarnate)

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some Jewish people, such as Messianic Jews, believe in both the OT, and the NT that Jesus revealed to humanity. They still keep their Jewish religious and cultural traditions, while believing in the New Testament. However, most Jewish people reject Jesus and view him as a false prophet, deny what the New Testament says about the nature of God (such as the Holy Spirit and the Trinity-which are all implied in the Torah, which is both the Christian and Jewish Old Testament.)

Even though the OT (the Torah) speaks of Jesus being the coming Messiah to pay the price for the sins of humanity, many Jews not only reject Jesus being the Messiah, but they reject the doctrine of the Messiah being God in the flesh who dies for the sins of the world. They view the Messiah as a political figure, a doctrine not in the Bible. They dont just believe in the Old Testament-they also believe in extrabibical writings like the Talmud and the writings and traditions of rabbis, etc. The Jewish Talmud contains writings of hatred against Jesus, the God that Christians worship.

Moses and Abraham and the other OT people didnt know directly about the Holy Spirit, the Trinity, or Jesus the Messiah dying for their sins, but they didnt deny it after it was revealed to them, like most Jews do now.

Here is the reason some people view the God of Judaism as the same as the God of Christianity. Mohler says Jews worship different God

Yes, Jews believe in the Old Testament, but Muslims also believe in Adam and Even, Noah, King David, Solomon, and the other OT prophets, etc.

The Jewish OT, is of course, much more similar to the Christian OT than what Islam believes. The Jewish OT is part of God's revelation to humanity, while the Islamic belief of Judeo Christian OT prophets is simply Mohammad copying and pasting stories from the Bible, changing it a bit (Islam believes extrabibical things like Abraham building religious monuments in Arabia, among many other things). That's what makes the topic of this thread a bit tricky. Jews dont just believe in the same OT prophets Christians believe in-they also believe in the Old Testament, which is God's revelation to humanity. But they also deny the other half of God's revelation to humanity-and even key doctrines relating to God, which the OT mentions.

yes- jews and christians believe in the same God.

for the most part ,as a nation on the whole.. God himself has put a veil over their spiritual eyes so they cannot grasp who the messiah (christ) is.thus we tend to be more gracious toward them and bless them,awaiting the removal of that veil .we do not judge them for what God himself has done.that would not be wise.

they don't need to believe the modern terminology of the trinity(its not a scriptural word) as they already,in their language, allow for the multifaceted nature of Elohim .the very hebrew word for God,is PLURAL already.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was a Jew. If Christians worship a different God than the Jews, and Jesus worshiped the God of the Jews, and we worship Jesus, then we are the ones worshiping the false god(s).

But, you are right that Jews and Muslims agree that Christians are not worshiping God correctly (i.e. that we are blasphemers and polytheists). But, as I explained earlier, the Jews do actually acknowledge the three manifestations of God (the Creator, the Breath/Spirit, and the physical manifestion). The Muslims have created an anti-God out of their moon god, Allah, and are completely apostate.

What makes you think Jews believe in the Trinity? From what I've read, Jews reject the doctrine of the trinity.

What makes you think Muslims worship a moon god? Allah is the arabic word for God that even appears in Arabic Bibles.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What makes you think Jews believe in the Trinity? From what I've read, Jews reject the doctrine of the trinity.

What makes you think Muslims worship a moon god? Allah is the arabic word for God that even appears in Arabic Bibles.

The Trinity is different than three ways for God to manifest. Its a long, complicated explanation, but if you read the OT, you can find God in three forms in there. They beleive that those events did happen as written.

But, to be clear, I am not calling them "The Trinity". That is different entirely.

Allah was the Arabic moon god as worshipped in a pantheon of pagan gods in Mecca, where Mohammed lived, using the meteorite named the Kaaba as the god's idol. Part of Mohammed's early work was to eradicate the worship of all the other gods and allah became their only god. So, in Arabic, "allah" does mean God, but it hasn't always meant God. Its like ordering a "Coke" in the south and the watiress asks you "which kind?" We use "Coke" as a generic term to mean caramel-colored carbonated beverage.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We do not worship the same God.

John said I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. Christ said to the Jews,Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.

I do believe one day the nation of Israel will be grafted back in, that day may be closer than we realize. I pray for that day.

May God bless Israel.

In Christ
Daniel

Great scriptures, but if I can say and not offend....too broad of a brush. Jesus didn't say that to ALL Jews....he said it to those who did not believe in Him. Christ apostles were Jews, many of his followers were Jews.

Jews believe in the same God, they just have rejected Jesus as the Christ. They are still waiting for the Christ to show up, where Christians know that he has already came and died and rose. Today thousands and thousands of Jews are converting to Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dan61861

7 days without God, makes one weak.
Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Great scriptures, but if I can say and not offend....too broad of a brush. Jesus didn't say that to ALL Jews....he said it to those who did not believe in Him. Christ apostles were Jews, many of his followers were Jews.

Jews believe in the same God, they just have rejected Jesus as the Christ. They are still waiting for the Christ to show up, where Christians know that he has already came and died and rose. Today thousands and thousands of Jews are converting to Christianity.

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about the Jews who do not believe in Christ. As a nation, that rejection is still happening. I would agree with you, many of there eyes are opening. I pray the Holy Spirits opens their eyes each and every day.

Those who do reject Christ are not worshipping the same God. Christ made it very clear, those who reject Him, reject the Father. As I said earlier, I do believe God will graft them back in. As Christians, we should all be praying for that day.

In Christ
Daniel

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
HEy there D R ... :wave:... good to see your voice of reason floating about the forums :)

Hi micheal....thanks, though many here would disagree.....lol. Seems I read awhile back and never dug into it, some reading that during the tribulation time that a man shows up to speak to the Jews about the scriptures and that Jesus was in fact the Christ that they had rejected.....when they realize he is the Christ he disappears before them. There was some scriptures to go with this, but never researched it....going to have to do some digging.....

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jews worship the same God as we Christians do, albeit in vain because they deny the Son. In denying the Son they deny the Father who sent him, and though they worship Jehovah God, he is not in them. It made Jesus very sad, and Paul very sad.

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jews/Christians worship the same God/Creator, but understanding is a bit different.

The important thing I think is the message. The NT and OT has the same message, Love God and your neighbor, don't steal, murder or covet. The NT explains more by Jesus. The Jews don't take him as a prophet, but God is the same.

The Muslims on the other hand also try to worship the same God, as you can see many of the good Muslims on this forum try their best to use the parts of Quran that agrees with the Bible for their beliefs and try to justfiy the bad part of the Quran (kill/loots etc) by puting it into a context (basically abrogate them with time). The problem is if you put it under the context of how Muhammad was using them, it clearly show that Muhammad basically did whatever he want, by putting word in God's mouth to allow him to marry son in law's wife and any female prisoner of war, conflict with Quran about no compel of religion with the war/tax etc.

Upvote 0