• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

JW Do Jehovah's Witnesses consider The Watchtower a holy book?

Discussion in 'Debate Other Religions & Faiths' started by ChristianForCats, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats God Seeker

+224
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I used to work with a JW. She told me at Kingdom Hall the preacher and congregation read not only the Bible, but also a book titled The Watchtower. In Google searches for "Bible," I see that title on the first results page. It appears they believe Watchtower supplements the Bible as the religion's sacred text. Am I wrong about this? What exactly is the connection between JWs and The Watchtower?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,028
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I'm not a JW but I can help you with that. The Watchtower is a publication of the JWs. It's more or less a newsletter of sorts.

3. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic

+422
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    From what I've read, probably unofficial "no", but in terms of its authoritative value yes. Because that writing and other JW sources is a document that interprets scripture for church doctrine, not only that they tend to use it for their devotions etc. I hear speakers have pretty much read it from the pulpit etc. in their services and so on.

4. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,578
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The Watchtower is like their periodical magazine, which due to its content is also one of the primary means by which members of the sect, and potential converts, are indoctrinated with core Jehovah's Witness beliefs, many of which are woefully nefarious and therefor potentially causing great harm, because they are flat out lies -- damnable heresies.

I know from personal experience and from others I've personally met and conversed with about this.

5. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic

+422
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    It's their official Magistereum aka Teaching Authority. They look to it like Catholics look to papal decrees, their Catechism etc., Lutherans read Luther's works, Calvinists read "the Institutes of Christian Religion" and whatever else he wrote etc.

6. Thess

Thess Well-Known Member

+306
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  7. DW1980

DW1980 Don Supporter

+525
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Engaged
    UK - SNP
    They certainly wouldn't see it that way. They do however treat it like that, but allow for changes in theology over time.

8. Peter1000

Peter1000 Well-Known Member

+265
    Mormon
    Married
    Sorry, my mistake.