Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do I Really Have To OBEY God Too?

Hebrews 5:9
AND BEING MADE PERFECT, HE BECAME THE AUTHOR OF ETERNAL SALVATION UNTO ALL THEM ***THAT OBEY HIM***;

Genesis 22:18
"And through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed—all because YOU HAVE OBEYED ME

Luke 11:28
Jesus replied, "But even more blessed are all who hear the word of God and PUT IT INTO PRACTICE."

James 1:22–25
But don't just listen to God's word. YOU MUST DO what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.

1 John 5:2–3
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS

2 John 6
And this is love, that we walk ACCORDING TO HIS COMMANDMENTS; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it

1 John 2:3–6
And we can be sure that we know him if we OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS.
Even Jesus had to learn obedience.

"Although He was a Son, He learned obedience from the things which He suffered." (Hebrews 5:8). Jesus learned by experience. When He suffered in Gethsemane and later on Calvary's hill, He experienced something completely foreign to His experiences in heaven, for there is no pain, tears or death there. Of course, being omniscient, Jesus had always known what pain and death was, but had not experienced it until He became a man and suffered.

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Having been made a new creation in Christ we are called to live faithful and obedient lives to God, not to affect our own salvation, for salvation is apart from ourselves and from God alone by His grace; but to live out that faith toward our neighbor in love.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

AND BEING MADE PERFECT, HE BECAME THE AUTHOR OF ETERNAL SALVATION UNTO ALL THEM ***THAT OBEY HIM***;

"And through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed—all because YOU HAVE OBEYED ME

Jesus replied, "But even more blessed are all who hear the word of God and PUT IT INTO PRACTICE."

But don't just listen to God's word. YOU MUST DO what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS

2 John 6
And this is love, that we walk ACCORDING TO HIS COMMANDMENTS; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it

"Although He was a Son, He learned obedience from the things which He suffered." (Hebrews 5:8). Jesus learned by experience. When He suffered in Gethsemane and later on Calvary's hill, He experienced something completely foreign to His experiences in heaven, for there is no pain, tears or death there. Of course, being omniscient, Jesus had always known what pain and death was, but had not experienced it until He became a man and suffered.

Are you talking to yourself?

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟832,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your example from I John goes on to say, "and His commandments are not grievous." Or "burdensome," in some translations.

I often use the analogy of God as parent, since He presents to us as our Heavenly Father. A good parent provides, nurtures, teaches, and protects. A good parent also demands obedience. Why? Because the parent knows what's good for the children. What the parent tells the children to do, and to avoid doing, is in the children's best interest. The children need to obey, even if they doesn't always know the reason the parent has made this decision. As the children grow and mature, they will in time come to understand the reason.

I wouldn't want to have a bunch of children running around, expecting me to provide, nurture, teach and protect, but then when I tell them what to do.... "Wait, you mean I have to obey you? Awwwww...."

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Your example from I John goes on to say, "and His commandments are not grievous." Or "burdensome," in some translations.

I often use the analogy of God as parent, since He presents to us as our Heavenly Father. A good parent provides, nurtures, teaches, and protects. A good parent also demands obedience. Why? Because the parent knows what's good for the children. What the parent tells the children to do, and to avoid doing, is in the children's best interest. The children need to obey, even if they doesn't always know the reason the parent has made this decision. As the children grow and mature, they will in time come to understand the reason.

I wouldn't want to have a bunch of children running around, expecting me to provide, nurture, teach and protect, but then when I tell them what to do.... "Wait, you mean I have to obey you? Awwwww...."

I am a good parent but I don't 'demand obedience'; never have. I regard imposing my will on other people as bullying, and doubly so if the other person is small and lacking in power. I let my daughter choose as much as she was capable of choosing, and if on any given occasion she objected strongly to any given food, or any given bath, then I let it go. Nobody forces me to do anything; why should I teach her that being forced to do stuff is fine?

I might say in return, 'Fine, no bath tonight. But remember you will have to have a bath at some point. When do you think that will be?' Then I would let her tell me when it would happen; usually the next day. And why not? I would rather have a daughter who knew she was in charge of herself than one who learned the opposite.

From a very early age I told my daughter to treat me as she wanted me to treat her. Whatever she did, I would do. If she threw a tantrum, so would I. If she swore at me, I would swear at her. She soon learned how to live in and appreciate a peaceful home.

There was never any need for authoritarianism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A favorite analogy in the New Testament was that of becoming "obedient sons" (1 Peter 1:14). The opposite expression was also used (Ephesians 2:2-3, Ephesians 5:6). What distinguished the two groups was that one was willing to accept discipline while the other was not (1 Corinthians 11:30-32; Hebrews 12:5-11).

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Deuteronomy 6:24 And the Lord commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the Lord our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as we are this day.

Deuteronomy 10:12-13 “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments and statutes of the Lord, which I am commanding you today for your good?

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a good parent but I don't 'demand obedience'; never have. I regard imposing my will on other people as bullying, and doubly so if the other person is small and lacking in power. I let my daughter choose as much as she was capable of choosing, and if on any given occasion she objected strongly to any given food, or any given bath, then I let it go. Nobody forces me to do anything; why should I teach her that being forced to do stuff is fine?

I might say in return, 'Fine, no bath tonight. But remember you will have to have a bath at some point. When do you think that will be?' Then I would let her tell me when it would happen; usually the next day. And why not? I would rather have a daughter who knew she was in charge of herself than one who learned the opposite.

From a very early age I told my daughter to treat me as she wanted me to treat her. Whatever she did, I would do. If she threw a tantrum, so would I. If she swore at me, I would swear at her. She soon learned how to live in and appreciate a peaceful home.

This example sounds more like you are a friend, not a parent. Not saying it will happen, but this could lead to problems with authority, among other issues, when they are on there own.

There is a reason the bible says Proverbs 13:24, for example. It teaches accountability, responsibility, etc etc.

Not telling you what to do being a parent as you make your own choices how you wish to do things, but it would be a grave mistake to think God is just going to let you off the hook for not obeying His will. That's just crazy to think that when one see what scripture says and understands what they read.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟832,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I know neither one of us wants to get sidetracked on matters of child discipline; that isn't what this thread is about, and I've had enough discussions with you to know you've got a good head on your shoulders. In fact, I've learned a lot from you, and that I appreciate very much. I just wanted to clarify something. We can start another thread on authoritarianism vs. authoritativeness if you'd like. It is an interesting topic.

I know exactly where you're coming from, because I was overcontrolled, and it did me a lot more harm than good. What I had in mind about demanding obedience was on matters of health and safety, such as "don't play with matches," "don't put that in your mouth," or "look both ways before you cross the street." I'm almost certain any parent would expect to be obeyed in those situations.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

2 John 6

The purpose of the Lord's commandments is to lead us to happiness. He doesn't just wave a magic wand and, poof!, paradise appears.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
This example sounds more like you are a friend, not a parent. Not saying it will happen, but this could lead to problems with authority, among other issues, when they are on there own.

There is a reason the bible says Proverbs 13:24, for example. It teaches accountability, responsibility, etc etc.

Not telling you what to do being a parent as you make your own choices how you wish to do things, but it would be a grave mistake to think God is just going to let you off the hook for not obeying His will. That's just crazy to think that when one see what scripture says and understands what they read.

No, I am not a friend. I am a mother, and I have never had any problem with authority; none at all.

I am just not a bully at the same time as being a mother. Neither is God.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I know neither one of us wants to get sidetracked on matters of child discipline; that isn't what this thread is about, and I've had enough discussions with you to know you've got a good head on your shoulders. In fact, I've learned a lot from you, and that I appreciate very much. I just wanted to clarify something. We can start another thread on authoritarianism vs. authoritativeness if you'd like. It is an interesting topic.

:)

I know exactly where you're coming from, because I was overcontrolled, and it did me a lot more harm than good. What I had in mind about demanding obedience was on matters of health and safety, such as "don't play with matches," "don't put that in your mouth," or "look both ways before you cross the street." I'm almost certain any parent would expect to be obeyed in those situations.

Once again, it is a matter of perspective. If this is presented as 'Do what I say or else!' then the message is simply that the strongest gets to dictate what everyone else does. This is communicating the wrong message.

If a parent in such a situation takes a bit more time to sit down and talk about why matches are not toys, or why it is good to be careful on roads, and that the rules are the same for everyone, not just imposed on children, then the message communicates, without the covert message of 'power wins.'

I am not in favour of any form of 'Do this or else!'

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
In order for one to become righteous, one must obey God, Romans 6:16-17.

Eccl 12:13 "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole of man."

Keeping the commandments can be done for many reasons; it does not have to be blind obedience of a tyrant.

Meanwhile, nobody becomes righteous by keeping the commandments; we keep the commandments because the Holy Spirit helps us to do so.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I am not a friend. I am a mother, and I have never had any problem with authority; none at all.

I am just not a bully at the same time as being a mother. Neither is God.

Like I said, "not saying it will happen" but "a possibility".

I suppose the main topic I wished to stay on before veering away was about God and His commands for obedience "or else".

As far as God goes, He does say to obey His commands "or else" ( one example Luke 13:3). Does that make Him a bully now? I myself do not think so but I do understand that God does say "do this or else this will happen". The bible is chalk full of warnings like that. I can pick any book in the bible and just read a few chapters in and I find a hand full of "or else's" in it. (John 14:15; 15:14)

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟304,048.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:)

Once again, it is a matter of perspective. If this is presented as 'Do what I say or else!' then the message is simply that the strongest gets to dictate what everyone else does. This is communicating the wrong message.

If a parent in such a situation takes a bit more time to sit down and talk about why matches are not toys, or why it is good to be careful on roads, and that the rules are the same for everyone, not just imposed on children, then the message communicates, without the covert message of 'power wins.'

I am not in favour of any form of 'Do this or else!'
Yours is not to reason why yours is but to do or die is not scriptural nor faithful to the word of God nor does it show any knowledge of God`s character.

Upvote 0