Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF

There's a doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2). There are 3 baptisms:

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus is the baptism for salvation. Baptized into the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection.
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13: Acts 2:38: Gal 3:27, +++)
When we become believers then we are sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise. "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise," Eph 1:13

Water and Spirit baptism follows - not required for salvation- not in a set order following salvation:
2 - By another believer (water baptism) (Matt 28:19, Matt 3:16 Philip with the eunuch "...when they were come up out of the water..." Acts 8:39.

3 - By Jesus with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) Believers already have the Holy Spirit but this baptism endures us with power for service. (Acts 1:5 8: Acts 8:14-17; 10:44-48, Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; Acts 11:16++++)'

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was praying I believe I received the holy spirit. I felt somewhat drunk, peaceful and can now pray in tongues. I felt like water went into my head from above. Is it still required to get water baptized

The water baptism is not so much for you as for the Body of Christ of which you become part.

Upvote 0

Aquatic Waves

Mar 31, 2019
USA
✟29,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I was praying I believe I received the holy spirit. I felt somewhat drunk, peaceful and can now pray in tongues. I felt like water went into my head from above. Is it still required to get water baptized

I ask myself the same thing

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The Lord Himself thinks baptism is a good idea.

Matthew 28:19

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

Jesus instituted baptism and directed us to be baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The normative practice of baptism as shown in Acts was to be baptized in water and receive the Holy Spirit. This is not just baptism in the Holy Spirit - it is specifically water as well (take a look at the passage of the Eunuch and Phillip).

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟166,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Simple answer is yes.

The salvation/sealing indwelling Holy Spirit baptism you received is a spiritual circumcision of the heart & can only be preformed thru Jesus.

Christ gave 2 commandments: Love God 1st & love your fellow believer. Matt 22:37-40

And 2 ordinance/decrees water baptism (Matt 28:19) & partaking in the Lords Supper (1 Cor 11:1-34).

Believers should live/partake in both commandments & ordinance/decrees.

Why water baptism? You are making an outward/public statement of you're inner change. You are stating/showing your belief in Jesus death (you are dying to self to live for Christ) burial (when you're immersed) & resurrection (when you rise up out of the water)

Why partake in the Lords Supper? You are making a statement that you're remembering, Christ body, that was broken for your spiritual & physical health & Jesus shed blood whereby you received remission/pardon from ALL your sins. Peace BrotherJJ

Find additional info see POST #11 in this thread: Does water baptism save you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Then Jesus arrived from Galilee at the Jordan coming to John, to be baptized by him. But John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?” But Jesus answering said to him, “Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he permitted Him. Matthew 3:13-15

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Water baptism is as close as you can get to being crucified with Christ, buried and resurrecting as He did.

By all means get water baptized as John the baptist fully immersed them, as Jesus was fully immersed, and as the Ethiopian Eunuch was fully immersed in water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The question asked by the Original Post was this:

When I was praying I believe I received the holy spirit. I felt somewhat drunk, peaceful and can now pray in tongues. I felt like water went into my head from above. Is it still required to get water baptized?"

Nothing was said, one way or the other, about such a person not being saved if he isn't baptized.

Upvote 0