Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe the scripture says that the Holy Spirit enters you when you repent of your sins and believe in Christ as lord at salvation. There is no second gifting or baptism, it’s false doctrine due to misunderstanding of scriptures
Ephesians 5:18 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
18 Don’t be drunk with wine, which will ruin your life, but be filled with the Spirit.

Read through the books of Acts, concentrate on Holy Spirit, Spirit, full, fill, filled --- you will find that being filled with the HS, gives you energy to do God's will. Often boldness to share the Gospel..

Ephesians 4:5There is one Lord, one faith, and one baptism.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Was my baptism valid?

Did the Lord give you understanding?

Acts of the Apostles 16:14-15
14 One of those listening was a woman from the city of Thyatira named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth. She was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message. 15 When she and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home. “If you consider me a believer in the Lord,” she said, “come and stay at my house.” And she persuaded us.

Has the Lord so moved you such that you understand and believe - a deep belief in your heart?

Believers baptism would follow after that belief..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, in my ignorance, I was water baptised 3 times. As a baby, as an adult Anglican, & fully immersed in the River Jordan, in Israel, when I was a Pentecostal, all were unnecessary. Yeshua (Jesus), had a proselyte baptism, which fulfilled righteousness, as He was from Nazareth, the Pharisees would say, nothing good comes from Samaria, so to be heard in Judah, Yeshua was baptised. After Yeshua's death & resurrection there were no more rituals, Col2v14, making baptism spiritual, where our hearts are sprinkled with the blood of Yeshua, just like also circumcision is of the heart. John the Baptist said Yeshua will baptise with The Holy Spirit & Fire, well that is blood baptism, being a daily death to self.

Thank God you did not visit a Baptist Church.

• Haha
Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did the Lord give you understanding?

Acts of the Apostles 16:14-15
14 One of those listening was a woman from the city of Thyatira named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth. She was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message. 15 When she and the members of her household were baptized, she invited us to her home. “If you consider me a believer in the Lord,” she said, “come and stay at my house.” And she persuaded us.

Has the Lord so moved you such that you understand and believe - a deep belief in your heart?

Believers baptism would follow after that belief..
No I did not have enough understanding and still don't, it would take careful studying and learning of the Bible to have a 'deep belief' but I do have faith/put my faith in Jesus Christ. They didn't even call it 'believer's baptism', it seems the young lady wasn't exactly very mature or was influenced to get people to be baptized in a hurry without having good judgment of when one is really ready.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Did we control that?
Don't think so.
M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No I did not have enough understanding and still don't, it would take careful studying and learning of the Bible to have a 'deep belief' but I do have faith/put my faith in Jesus Christ. They didn't even call it 'believer's baptism', it seems the young lady wasn't exactly very mature or was influenced to get people to be baptized in a hurry without having good judgment of when one is really ready.

We all begin with the kernels of faith and then it grows from there as we grow in the faith.

Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Ok basics....you will know...

Acts 2v37 + …
, Men [and] brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent,( babies cant !!) and be baptized (greek=dip immerse etc symbol of burial ) every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.

how do you KNOW you did it Gods way..

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

or just follow man made ideas and believe the Easter bunny God stuff !! make excuses why not !!

package deal (all) .. you dont get this unless you do it Gods way

Joh 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

new test command...

Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

so to worship according to the truth.. HIS WAY !!

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Ephesians 5:18 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
18 Don’t be drunk with wine, which will ruin your life, but be filled with the Spirit.

Read through the books of Acts, concentrate on Holy Spirit, Spirit, full, fill, filled --- you will find that being filled with the HS, gives you energy to do God's will. Often boldness to share the Gospel..

Ephesians 4:5There is one Lord, one faith, and one baptism.
Walking in the Holy Spirit and being filled by the Holy Spirit according to Ephesians describes the act of being in obedience to the spirit and right standing of the Holy Spirit which is actually already inside you, as it entered at the point of salvation. The second filling, or additional dwelling often referred to in these types of discussions is presented as a mystical and required second possession which is not biblical IMO but there are different interpretations that I can respect. I do not, however, believe that there is a second indwelling necessary for salvation, nor do I believe speaking in tongues is a requirement of salvation. These are lies preached by false prophets in some branches of the Pentecostal movement.

Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No one else can answer that but you. You can ask yourself questions to find out though. Answer this: Do you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?
I have faith in Jesus Christ that He is my Lord and Savior and I put my faith in Him. I also have this impression in me that Jesus is real and feel that I cannot depart from Him. but I can also say at times I'm not so sure Jesus is real but I know a lot more than when I was teen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I have faith in Jesus Christ that He is my Lord and Savior and I put my faith in Him. I also have this impression in me that Jesus is real and feel that I cannot depart from Him. but I can also say at times I'm not so sure Jesus is real but I know a lot more than when I was teen.

Everyone doubts. It's natural to question. It doesn't mean you lost your salvation. It means you are a rational being. Pray. Study. Immerse yourself. The trust will come.

Upvote 0

Peter John

Feb 12, 2019
peterborough
✟33,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank God you did not visit a Baptist Church.

Oh! I was with them too, in ignorance, for 3yrs. It's all about defining the words baptism & baptised, which come from 2 words in the Greek. Bapto & baptizo, which means to cover (atone) & to stain or dye (blood). It is also a verbal noun, meaning the subject does not move, & the liquid is poured over. If it meant to immerse, then the subject could not move, & would stay under.
In Acts10v47 from the Greek Interlinear Bible - Not the water, forbid, that these should not be baptised.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Simply, ask God to fill you with his Holy Spirit. Speaking in tongues is not given to everyone because it is least of the gifts. I cor 12 -14 explains the gifts. Ask God to give you the higher gifts. Talk with friends or others at Church because often they will recognize your gifting.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh! I was with them too, in ignorance, for 3yrs. It's all about defining the words baptism & baptised, which come from 2 words in the Greek. Bapto & baptizo, which means to cover (atone) & to stain or dye (blood). It is also a verbal noun, meaning the subject does not move, & the liquid is poured over. If it meant to immerse, then the subject could not move, & would stay under.
In Acts10v47 from the Greek Interlinear Bible - Not the water, forbid, that these should not be baptised.

Hi Peter, my problem with the Baptists is that many congregations do not accept the Baptism of another Baptist denominations.

An early church manual called the Didache (dates 80 to 110 AD) tells us,

"
7:1 But concerning baptism, thus shall ye baptize.
7:2 Having first recited all these things, baptize {in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit} in living (running) water.
7:3 But if thou hast not living water, then baptize in other water;
7:4 and if thou art not able in cold, then in warm.
7:5 But if thou hast neither, then pour water on the head thrice in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
7:6 But before the baptism let him that baptizeth and him that is baptized fast, and any others also who are able;
7:7 and thou shalt order him that is baptized to fast a day or two before.
"
Didache. The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles (translation J. B. Lightfoot).
Baptism in the Early Church

Numbers 8:7This is what you should do to make them clean: Sprinkle the special water from the sin offering on them. This water will make them clean. Then they must shave their bodies and wash their clothes. This will make their bodies clean.

God says,
Ezekiel 36:25
I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you.

Hebrews 10:22let us approach with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

The earliest church fathers were taught by the Apostles.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
You are comparing the baptism of God incarnate to ours. It is not the same thing. John tells us that Jesus will baptize with spirit and fire.
If you would open your eyes, you would see that in principle, it is exactly the same thing.

Jesus was born by the action of the Holy Spirit on a very humble young woman called Mary, That means Jesus was born from above, not from earth.
Then we see Jesus telling Nicodemus-
Jn3v3Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, (literally, "born from above) he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
Thus in similar fashion to Jesus, we must be born from above by the Holy Spirit, otherwise we remain spiritually dead.

It is scripture that draws that comparison to Jesus, not me!

But despite being born from above, and as you put it, being God incarnate, Jesus did not walk in power till the Holy Spirit came upon him and filled him.
Likewise, believers who are born of the spirit, still do not walk in power till they get filled with the spirit.
But I'm not sure this is the moment for a theology debate. We have a person who desperately wants to find his way to God. He is seeking. Us arguing will not help him find the Truth.
I agree, but false teaching will not help him either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
If you would open your eyes, you would see that in principle, it is exactly the same thing.

Jesus was born by the action of the Holy Spirit on a very humble young woman called Mary, That means Jesus was born from above, not from earth.
Then we see Jesus telling Nicodemus-
Jn3v3Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, (literally, "born from above) he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
Thus in similar fashion to Jesus, we must be born from above by the Holy Spirit, otherwise we remain spiritually dead.

It is scripture that draws that comparison to Jesus, not me!

But despite being born from above, and as you put it, being God incarnate, Jesus did not walk in power till the Holy Spirit came upon him and filled him.
Likewise, believers who are born of the spirit, still do not walk in power till they get filled with the spirit.

I agree, but false teaching will not help him either.

This is stretch in so many ways. No where in scripture does it say that Jesus was not always God incarnate. You and I do not and never will possess the power he possesses. He is God. He always was God. He always will be God. Jesus quite explicitly made it clear what we must do to recieve eternal life. He gave examples of people recieving salvation without baptism. It is not our place to question the salvation of any person. That is between him/her and God.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Peter John

Feb 12, 2019
peterborough
✟33,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 10:22let us approach with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

Our hearts are sprinkled by Christ's blood, (spiritually) like the Ark was sprinkled (literally). Heb10v1 For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things.....
Mk10v38-39
38 But Yeshua said to them, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?”

39 They said to Him, “We are able.”

So Yeshua said to them, “You will indeed drink the cup that I drink, and with the baptism I am baptized with you will be baptized;

Blood baptism is death to self, & drinking the cup, is what James & John did, by dying a martyr's death. Water baptism was only to be a citizen of Israel, along with 2 turtle doves or pigeons & circumcision. Yeshua got the proselyte baptism to fulfil righteousness, & be heard in Judah, as the Pharisees said nothing good can come from Nazareth.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Peter John

Feb 12, 2019
peterborough
✟33,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Simply, ask God to fill you with his Holy Spirit. Speaking in tongues is not given to everyone because it is least of the gifts. I cor 12 -14 explains the gifts. Ask God to give you the higher gifts. Talk with friends or others at Church because often they will recognize your gifting.

Speaking in tongues was an infant gift of the 1st century church 1Cor13v8 But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.
This was given to the disciples, so that all who came with different dialects, could hear them in their language. Not some odd language like I spoke, when I was a pentecostal for 10yrs (hides embarrassment), & ignorant of it's definition.
By the way, God's elect have the Holy Spirit within them, there is no need to keep asking to be filled, like putting petrol in a car, it's about self dying daily, Lk9v23, & the inner man growing by Faith. As the Kingdom of God is within us, as He has made us Kings & Priests (2 witnesses) Rev1v6.

Upvote 0