Do different denominations have their own views on how one becomes born again?

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am a Baptist and as a Baptist, we too follow the beliefs of the Sonship of Jesus and the saving grace of Jesus. We too are saved by faith. Jesus is the one and only Savior and that the Father rose Him from the dead. We also believe in the baptism of full body immersion as described in scripture. I have noticed that many Baptists believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible and that we are more Fundamentalists.

However, Baptists believe in baptism not only of the Holy Spirit but baptism in full body immersion in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. There are others like Catholics and Lutherans who baptized through sprinkling of water in the name of the Holy Trinity; is that true? You will have to excuse me because I am don't have much knowledge or have taken much time to study different religions or denominations.

Now having written all of that, according to the book of Mark, it says that those who believe and are baptized are saved, but one who does not believe is condemned already. So does that mean that there are more than one way to become born again in terms of full body immersion versus baptism through sprinkling one's head with water? My point is, do Catholics have believe in confirmation and baptism making them born again as written in Mark for instance? What is the difference how one becomes a born again Christian?

When Jesus says that we must be born again, in Spirit and in water, did He mean water baptism plus Holy Spirit baptism? Is there more than one definity of how one becomes a born again believer? Does all of this mean that many denominations have differing views on baptism in relation to being born again not only because of the mode of baptism, but in the belief on how one becomes born again also by Spirit?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The big difference between Baptists and those who baptise by pouring (not sprinkling) water over the head is not really the mode of baptism (submersion vs. immersion vs. affusion) but about who is a valid candidate for baptism, and why.

Most Christians, historically, were and are baptised as infants; based not on their confession of faith, but on their families' intention to raise them in the faith, and on a belief that in baptism, it is God who acts to effect change in us. So here baptism is the occasion of being born again, even if one must then grow into that new identity.

Those who insist on baptism being only for adult believers place the emphasis on what God has already done in the believer, and the believer's confession of that, as warrant for baptism. So being born again precedes baptism.

I'm sure you can see that these present two very different views of the role baptism plays in being born again!

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
1 Peter 3:21-22
21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.

And how does on acquire a good conscience toward God? The Jews under the law couldn't keep the law due to their carnal nature - the nature we are born with that is not born again that needs to become new creatures in Christ. Romans 7 is all about the struggle of those trying to keep the law in their own puny strength. It is Peter who tells us how to become born again, and it is the same reason John the Baptist came FIRST to make straight the way to Christ. It is called Repentance of Sin. Acknowledging that we cannot save ourselves by trying over and over and failing. We have no power in ourselves. But when we acknowledge our weakness of flesh and cry out to God to help us become acceptable to Him, Jesus gives us His Sinless Holy Spirit to dwell in us making us dead to those old desires of the old man, and gives us supernatural power that we've never known before. Repentance is the key, that acknowledgement that we are indeed sinners, and desire with all our heart to please God, accepting Jesus as our Savior and Lord. Once that old man is dead through the baptism of the Holy Spirit, we can now have a good conscience, and baptism is the outward symbol of burying that old man, and raising up out of the water, resurrected by the power of the Holy Spirit.

If one does not repent of sin, and just accepts Jesus as their ticket into heaven, but your desire is to go on living out the old man's desire of the flesh, and expects baptism to save you, think again. You cannot manipulate God. He knows our heart. There is no formula that says you must be baptized BEFORE you can receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. It is God's gift to give, not ours to earn, so you can't earn the Holy Spirit by being baptized. For one thing it is the Holy Spirit that makes you dead to sin. You don't bury someone who is still alive. In other words, we don't baptize to kill someone to make them dead to sin. The Holy Spirit is the one who does the killing of those desires, and baptism is the answer of that good conscience toward God.

Personally, I was baptized 3 times and never had power over sin. I couldn't abide in Christ because I had no power to do so. Therefore, not one prayer was answered in 30 years. Then one night I finally truly repented, and the windows of heaven opened up. One might call it a "religious experience." I saw a vision, and heard God's voice for the first time in my life, and many times since, plus all my prayers are answered. He baptized me with His Spirit and all desire to sin willfully left me. I then loved what God loved, and hated what God hated, so not willfully sinning was no longer a problem. Now I knew what the scriptures meant by being dead to sin. Before that it was just words. It is a reality. Then I was baptized for the fourth and last time and buried that old man that was now finally dead. And am thankful I have a good conscience every night before going to sleep. He is still working through me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't remember ever hearing the expression "born again" until I joined a Christian forum.
It is in the Bible. Jesus was the first who mentioned it:

Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?”

Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.” (John 3:3-8 NASB)

Also by Peter:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. (1 Peter 1:3-5)

for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God. (1 Peter 1:23)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a Baptist and as a Baptist, we too follow the beliefs of the Sonship of Jesus and the saving grace of Jesus. We too are saved by faith. Jesus is the one and only Savior and that the Father rose Him from the dead. We also believe in the baptism of full body immersion as described in scripture. I have noticed that many Baptists believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible and that we are more Fundamentalists.

However, Baptists believe in baptism not only of the Holy Spirit but baptism in full body immersion in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. There are others like Catholics and Lutherans who baptized through sprinkling of water in the name of the Holy Trinity; is that true? You will have to excuse me because I am don't have much knowledge or have taken much time to study different religions or denominations.

Now having written all of that, according to the book of Mark, it says that those who believe and are baptized are saved, but one who does not believe is condemned already. So does that mean that there are more than one way to become born again in terms of full body immersion versus baptism through sprinkling one's head with water? My point is, do Catholics have believe in confirmation and baptism making them born again as written in Mark for instance? What is the difference how one becomes a born again Christian?

When Jesus says that we must be born again, in Spirit and in water, did He mean water baptism plus Holy Spirit baptism? Is there more than one definity of how one becomes a born again believer? Does all of this mean that many denominations have differing views on baptism in relation to being born again not only because of the mode of baptism, but in the belief on how one becomes born again also by Spirit?

By vising other denominations, you learn a lot about others.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I can't remember ever hearing the expression "born again" until I joined a Christian forum.

It is a term Jesus coined in His conversation with Nicodemus. He was talking about our spirit (as in spirit, soul and body). When Adam sinned he brought death to our being. He was no longer immortal. Followers of Christ go from death to life. That is being "born again." Our spirit goes from mortal to immortal again.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion baptism is a church ritual that recognizes and celebrates something that has already taken place. The born again experience is a spiritual transformation. It can be quite sudden and is often dramatic and emotional. For others the born again experience can be much like a real birth --- slow, painful and time consuming.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
In my opinion baptism is a church ritual that recognizes and celebrates something that has already taken place. The born again experience is a spiritual transformation. It can be quite sudden and is often dramatic and emotional. For others the born again experience can be much like a real birth --- slow, painful and time consuming.

I agree.

Matthew 10:32-33 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven."

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... So does that mean that there are more than one way to become born again...

But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name:
John 1:12

Jesus answered him, "Most assuredly, I tell you, unless one is born anew, he can't see the Kingdom of God." Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" Jesus answered, "Most assuredly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can't enter into the Kingdom of God! That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don't marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born anew.'
John 3:3-7

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

On basis of those I would say, person must be born anew by the words Jesus declared, as God had commanded him to do.

For I spoke not from myself, but the Father who sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. I know that his commandment is eternal life. The things therefore which I speak, even as the Father has said to me, so I speak."
John 12:49-50

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hi Lik3, the "born again" concept describes being alive spiritually - freedom to live without condemnation in God's sight. This is what Adam and Eve had before the fall, but as soon as they did their original sin, they were hiding from God because they received condemnation in their conscience.

This is why people sometimes respond with passion against us when we are sharing the gospel (1 John 3:15). They are convicted by God's holiness in our presence (John 3:36), and seeing us as being in the form of a man, think to exercise dominance and deceit in defiance of the truth. A person who is alive in the spirit doesn't respond that way when we invoke Jesus' name (Matthew 18:20), instead they enter civilised dialogue and together we work through our differences, arriving at agreement (even if that agreement is that more time is needed to consider various views).

So this spiritual death that needs to be put right by "rebirth", it means having a change of spirit such that our conscience doesn't convict us in God's presence. If you think it sounds like a thing that a Christian has to do every now and then even after having been baptised, you are right! (James 5:19-20, Galatians 6:1). In fact, as we share the gospel, we happen to find Christians from time to time who have an evil spirit (Matthew 6:23, 1 John 4:1). On the other hand, I have met people who don't identify as Christian and when we begin talking, they find that their opinions and beliefs line up perfectly with the scriptures. We are of a common spirit, although having different beliefs. To be "fishers of men" is to bring such ones into a knowledge of the truth about God without letting them get snatched away from The Holy Spirit (Matthew 13:4).

So we should remember that these ones who are living with good conscience in God's sight, yet aren't Christian, the only reason they do not yet call themselves Christian is because they have not received an education that has safely led them to that knowledge. They haven't learned that Christianity is a thing they should pursue and they haven't thus learned why they should be baptised. In saying this, it isn't as though they are without sin, because they also haven't learned the law of God enough to have received conviction for the sinful lifestyle that the world has groomed into them, and this is where spiritual death becomes a real and present threat to them:

St. Paul wrote "I was alive once apart from the Torah, but when the commandment came, sin came to life and I died". What is he describing in this? It seems that he is describing his childhood, before the commandment (of the Torah) came - that he says invoked sin that put him to death. When he was a child, he was treated as a child, having full freedom to make mistakes through society's grace toward him. There comes an age of accountability in society's view though, where children are expected to have become rich enough in knowledge to discern right from wrong, and they are no longer afforded the same mercies and patience as a child is naturally ascribed (Mark 10:14, Luke 6:20).

(As an aside, with the wrath and impatience of today's anxious society, parents are often punishing their children without teaching them. Their anxiety and wrath is fury for their own relief, but it is making hell for their children who burst into tears because they aren't linguistic enough to stand up for themselves - they don't deserve punishment, they deserve mercy and teaching in patience - Matthew 24:12).

At this age of accountability, we are expected to conform to society's pattern, even if it might not be the pattern that we naturally think it should be. Depending how disjointed society is from the child's expectation, some become embittered and rebellious, thinking that they are right to be. This is a pride that causes them to be resentful, and this manifests at fruits of the flesh that are opposed to the fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5:19-23). We see this happening among young people in various churches, and there isn't much of a pattern to it because each individual is exposed to a unique pocket of influences (James 1:14-15, 1 Corinthians 15:33).

.. so of those ones I was describing, who are not necessarily opposed to The Holy Spirit but have yet to learn Torah, if they are not introduced to Torah in a way that is successful, they can actually be misled to following the passion of their flesh into sin where they would begin receiving condemnation from their conscience in God's sight. This is the greatest value in the commandment "Do not judge" - for who are we to condemn another man's servant? It is to his own master he should stand (as for ourselves).. and "if anyone should cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were tied around his neck, cast into the depths of the sea".

So we see that to be reborn of the spirit, is to have a change of spiritual disposition - repentance, so as to receive God's approval according to having a clear conscience (1 Peter 3:21). This cannot be achieved by just anyone who is handling scripture, essentially because 1 Corinthians 8:1 - scripture can only be effective at edifying and building-up a person when it is handled in love, by one who is operating in a holy spirit.

Jesus said "You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you, remain in me and I will remain in you, that you may bear much fruit". It is through this everlasting arrangement of a bilateral substitution, whereby He gave His life to save us and we give our life to represent Him, that is how the life much more abounds than the death that entered the world through sin.

"In Him was life, and the life was the light of mankind"

.. as for how denominations teach this, they all have individual augmentations, but we who are alive in the spirit (John 13:35) are finding agreement in all variety of denominations (1 Corinthians 3:3, 1 Corinthians 11:19, 1 Corinthians 14:33, Philippians 2:3).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So does that mean that there are more than one way to become born again in terms of full body immersion versus baptism through sprinkling one's head with water?

There is not more than one way. You mentioned Mark 16:16, so look at the Greek word.

Baptized = baptizō - "to immerse, submerge; to make whelmed (i.e. fully wet)"

Even when you use the word baptism, like Romans 6:4 for example,

Baptism baptisma-"baptism (technically or figuratively):—baptism"; "immersion, submersion"

Thinking of it in terms of using dirt,

Can you be buried with Christ using a hand full of dirt that doesn't cover your entire body?

Or....

Can you be buried with Christ being fully immersed in the ground?

Now apply this example to sprinkling verse full immersion.

What is the difference how one becomes a born again Christian?

If one is sprinkled, one cannot possibly have obeyed what the gospel has commanded of what one needs to do to become a Christian. If one is fully immersed, then they obeyed and are "born again", they have put on Christ (Galatians 3:27).

The "born again Christian" is not even a thing. Either you are a Christian or you are not. You are either in God's family or you are not. "Born again Christian" implies you were a Christian to start with, then left, then came back.

With that said, a Christian can fall from grace and be in a doomed state ripe for eternal punishment (Hebrews 10:26-29), however, that very same Christian, if they so choose, can repent and be welcomed back into the Kingdom and eternal life. They do not need to be "re-baptized" just merely come forward and repent (1 John 1).

When Jesus says that we must be born again, in Spirit and in water, did He mean water baptism plus Holy Spirit baptism?

Jamieson, Fausset & Brown :: Commentary on John 3
"5. of water and of the Spirit--A twofold explanation of the "new birth," so startling to Nicodemus. To a Jewish ecclesiastic, so familiar with the symbolical application of water, in every variety of way and form of expression, this language was fitted to show that the thing intended was no other than a thorough spiritual purification by the operation of the Holy Ghost. Indeed, element of water and operation of the Spirit are brought together in a glorious evangelical prediction of Ezekiel ( Eze 36:25-27 ), which Nicodemus might have been reminded of had such spiritualities not been almost lost in the reigning formalism."

Matthew Henry :: Commentary on John 3
"[a.] The author of this blessed change, and who it is that works it. To be born again is to be born of the Spirit, v. 5-8. The change is not wrought by any wisdom or power of our own, but by the power and influence of the blessed Spirit of grace. It is the sanctification of the Spirit(1 Pt. 1:2) and renewing of the Holy Ghost,Tit. 3:5. The word he works by is his inspiration, and the heart to be wrought on he has access to.
[b.] The nature of this change, and what that is which is wrought; it is spirit, v. 6. Those that are regenerated are made spiritual, and refined from the dross and dregs of sensuality. The dictates and interests of the rational and immortal soul have retrieved the dominion they ought to have over the flesh. The Pharisees placed their religion in external purity and external performances; and it would be a mighty change indeed with them, no less than a new birth, to become spiritual."

David Guzik :: Study Guide for John 3
"a. Most assuredly... you must be born again: Jesus was emphatic in saying that man does not need reformation, but a radical conversion by the Spirit of God. We must be born of water and the Spirit.

i. “In verse 3 Jesus has spoken of ‘seeing’ the kingdom of God, whereas here He speaks of ‘entering’ it. There is probably no great difference of meaning.” (Morris)

ii. Most assuredly: “The words add solemnity to and underline the truth of what follows. The modern expressions, ‘In truth I tell you’, ‘Believe me when I say’, ‘I do assure you’, convey the meaning.” (Tasker)

iii. Unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God: If a nation passed a law that said no one could live there except those who were born in that nation, and someone wanted to live there who was not born there.

· It wouldn’t matter if he took a name that was common in that nation.
· It wouldn’t matter if he spoke the language.
· It wouldn’t matter if he observed some of the customs.
· It wouldn’t matter if he dressed like those in that nation.
· It wouldn’t matter if he practiced some of the religious traditions of that nation.
· It wouldn’t matter if his parents were born in that nation.
· It wouldn’t matter if his children were born there.
· It wouldn’t matter if he had many friends in that nation.
· All that would matter was if he was actually born there.
iv. “A man may cast away many vices, forsake many lusts in which he indulged, and conquer evil habits, but no man in the world can make himself to be born of God; though he should struggle never so much, he could never accomplish what is beyond his power. And, mark you, if he could make himself to be born again, still he would not enter heaven, because there is another point in the condition which he would have violated — ‘unless a man be born of the Spirit, he cannot see the kingdom of God.’” (Spurgeon)"

b. You must be born of water: We know from John 3:10 that whatever being born of water was, it should have been familiar to Nicodemus from the Old Testament.

i. Some have thought born of water means to be baptized. Water here may represent baptism, but there is no real Old Testament foundation for this.

ii. Some have thought that born of water refers to our physical birth, since we come forth from a sack of water. This approach is more attractive, but doesn’t it simply state the obvious? However, it does make a good parallel with the idea of that which is born of the flesh in John 3:6.

iii. Some have thought that born of water means to be born again by the Word of God. In other passages of Scripture, water represents the Word, as we are washed by the water of the word (Ephesians 5:26).

iv. Some have thought that born of water means to be regenerated by the Holy Spirit, the living water of John 7:38-39.

v. Some have thought that born of water means to receive the water of cleansing prophesied in Ezekiel 36:25-28 as part of the New Covenant. This is the approach has the most weight (though it is a tough call), because of its firm connections to Old Testament prophecy – which Jesus says Nicodemus should have know to understand these things."

With these commentaries in mind, now look at the example used here when Peter says,
Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Repenting is not the same thing as being "sorry". I can be "sorry" that I kicked you in the knee and then still kick you again in the knee and say sorry again. Repenting is a complete 180 change in mind, to turn away from.

Being baptized is full immersion as stated before.

Being baptized is also done in Christs name, to put on Christ (Gal.3:27) and to bury the "old man" and become a "new creature" (Rom.6:1-5) and to cancel out that debt of sin (remission of sins/see also 1 Pet.3:21)

Once you have done all of the above, you receive the Holy Spirit. You are now part of Christs kingdom (John 3:3 and 5)

Is there more than one definity of how one becomes a born again believer?

According to scripture,
1-hearing the word Romans 10:17
2-believing the word Hebrews 11:6 (by the way, faith/belief is used as a verb; an action word indicating you have conditions to meet)
3-repent Acts 17:30-31 and Luke 13:3
4-confess Matthew 10:32-33
5- be baptized Acts 2:38,41,47 and Mark 16:16
6- continue to walk a Christian life in Christ to the end Revelation 2:10

I do not see any other way in scripture. To not do as the gospel instructs us puts verses like 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 in ones path to think about among many others.

Does all of this mean that many denominations have differing views on baptism in relation to being born again not only because of the mode of baptism, but in the belief on how one becomes born again also by Spirit?

You will find that many do have varying views on the subject of baptism. We are warned of such things in 2 Timothy 4:3-4. The bible is quite clear and not hard to understand, it is made hard by those who wish not to follow what it says (John 6:59-66 example).

The bible says there is only "one" Ephesians 4:4-6. The bible also states unity and not division Romans 12 and 1 Corinthians 12. So somewhere down the line one is going to have to be forced to concluded that there is only one way to do things, one accepted church/body/kingdom, and any other way, is quite frankly, false. This includes baptism.

On a side note:
There are only 2 Holy Spirit baptism in the whole of the NT. Once in Acts 2 and once in Acts 10. This will not occur for anyone else and has not ever since.
First of all, miraculous gifts followed, which do not happen anymore since the completion of the bible with the book of Revelations and Johns death (the last apostle).
Secondly, you need apostles to pass on these miracle gifts by the laying on of hands (Acts 8 for example), and this cannot be done since John (author of Revelation) was the last apostle.
Thirdly, scripture tells us through the author/letter of Paul in 1 Corinthians 13:8-10, that these miracles will cease "when that which is perfect comes". The word "that" clearly does NOT refer to Christ since Christ is not a "that" or thing. The word "that" refers to the bible aka the gospel that you read to this day 2 Timothy 3:16 as "that which is perfect". Since the bible is indeed complete, there are no super natural miracle workings like the apostles had.

On top of that, those 2 events (Acts 2 and Acts 10), were prophesied before and foretold to happen. Here is a link to explain in more detail of the topic of those 2 events I speak of compared to baptism/immersion in water:
Baptism in the Holy Spirit - Five Facts

Upvote 0