United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And for the guys???

Every item on the list she named would apply to the guys as well except perhaps protecting yourself as a girl. I think it would be useful for them to learn what a single mother who is abandoned with a child has to go through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it would be useful for them to learn what a single mother who is abandoned with a child has to go through.
Not sure how well that could be communicated. Even my daughters who had the "egg" to take care of in their sex ed classes said it was NOTHING like caring for an actual baby.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not sure how well that could be communicated. Even my daughters who had the "egg" to take care of in their sex ed classes said it was NOTHING like caring for an actual baby.

Yeah I always found the egg thing rather silly

They could watch a documentary of single mothers and struggles (or single fathers) - single parents in general. That's how I'd do it if I were a teacher and had a choice in the matter, but I know the curriculum is pretty controlled.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They could watch a documentary of single mothers and struggles (or single fathers) - single parents in general.
Yeah - that might work. At least it would be better than the egg.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Every item on the list she named would apply to the guys as well except perhaps protecting yourself as a girl.
Maybe.
As a guy, the list seemed rather skewed.
But since Zoii is a girl, it is understandable.

My comments on Zoii's recomendations:

It should be all through years 7 to 10.
I would add sessions up to about age 15 or 16.
But I would not dump everything on a 7 or even a 10 year old.
The basics of human bio of course including the sex act, through to pregnancy and including puberty and menstruation.
Would you have the guys and girls together for this? For the guys you should include erections and wet dreams. (or even waking wet - whatever)
What are STDs, what do they do, how are they contracted, how can you avoid them, and how would you recognizance the systems, and where to go if you want to be checked.
Your rights under law when it comes to health - eg I want to get contraception - Do I have to have my parents permission.
Yeah - both of those are very important.
Sexual abuse, assault and harassment - what it is and what to do about it including the law.
Would you include as "harassment" what young women do to intentionally get guys aroused?
Sex and the net - inappropriate content and its true dark effect for the victim and to your own brain
Sexting - the law and its psychology
Indeed. "Sexting" is inappropriate content - plain and simple. And it can have a very dark consequence indeed.
homosexuality - what it is - and the evidence around effects for those who identify as LGBT
A hot button issue for sure. But I would also include those who were born with ambiguous genitalia.
Whats [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] about
Depending on the age level, that would be an interesting discussion ......

The funniest thing that happened during my high school days was in 10th grade Bio class, and was because a young woman in that class had no clue about that. (she went on to be an ER doctor)
Contraception methods
That would be included above
Abortion - its not just a quick fix - all the issues on this topic
As someone who is very pro-life, seeing this on the table is disturbing. But I understand why. As long as the death of the child is one of those issues - ok.
Protecting yourself as a girl
The life of a single mum
or a single dad.
Sex and ethics
That is going to be all over the map.
What do various religions have to say about sex, rape and menstruation.
And a LOT more issues than those. Most apropos to middle and highschoolers would be masturbation. Religious groups (conservative christians especially) have had a LOT to say about that topic.
Self image and disorders of it eg over-eating, and under-eating.
Not really sex-ed, although I can see it affecting that.
This should be part of a larger overall healthy living curriculum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would you have the guys and girls together for this? For the guys you should include erections and wet dreams. (or even waking wet - whatever)

It's knowledge and I don't see why the girls should be barred from learning about this. We learn details about the body in biology, including the difference between male and female reproduction. With all the stigma around menstruation, it wouldn't hurt for the males to have a better understanding of it either IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Maybe.
As a guy, the list seemed rather skewed.
But since Zoii is a girl, it is understandable.

My comments on Zoii's recomendations:

I would add sessions up to about age 15 or 16.
But I would not dump everything on a 7 or even a 10 year old.

Yeah - both of those are very important.

Would you include as "harassment" what young women do to intentionally get guys aroused?

Indeed. "Sexting" is inappropriate content - plain and simple. And it can have a very dark consequence indeed.

A hot button issue for sure. But I would also include those who were born with ambiguous genitalia.

Depending on the age level, that would be an interesting discussion ......
That would be included above

As someone who is very pro-life, seeing this on the table is disturbing. But I understand why. As long as the death of the child is one of those issues - ok.

or a single dad.

That is going to be all over the map.

And a LOT more issues than those. Most apropos to middle and highschoolers would be masturbation. Religious groups (conservative christians especially) have had a LOT to say about that topic.

Not really sex-ed, although I can see it affecting that.
This should be part of a larger overall healthy living curriculum.
at school years 7-10 is like 13-16

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
With all the stigma around menstruation, it wouldn't hurt for the males to have a better understanding of it either IMO.

Agreed. It was a shock to my husband to discover that I was in pain...

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. It was a shock to my husband to discover that I was in pain...

I understand that. There was a lot we weren't taught about female sex/biology when I went through sex education. I had learned a lot later through doing internet searches on topics I realized I didn't understand. Interestingly, I realized a while back my wife, even after 27 years of marriage, had some knowledge gaps. Wound up doing a quick male biology lesson for her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand that. There was a lot we weren't taught about female sex/biology when I went through sex education. I had learned a lot later through doing internet searches on topics I realized I didn't understand. Interestingly, I realized a while back my wife, even after 27 years of marriage, had some knowledge gaps. Wound up doing a quick male biology lesson for her.
I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but here in the US in the 1950s-1970s there was the idea that "ignorance is bliss." i.e., if you don't know about it you won't want it.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As to the original question, yes. However, it is the parents of the child that have the overarching authority on how the child is educated in regards to sexual education. The parents have the right to opt their child out of sexual education in schools that promote and celebrate sexually immoral behavior (homosexuality, bisexuality, fornication, adultery, sadism/masochism, etc).

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However, it is the parents of the child that have the overarching authority on how the child is educated in regards to sexual education. The parents have the right to opt their child out of sexual education in schools
And if the parents know next to nothing themselves; and the only "education" they can give is "Just say no?"

I heard next to nothing growing up and my wife only heard how evil and nasty sex was. After 40 years of marriage we still have serious issues.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And if the parents know next to nothing themselves; and the only "education" they can give is "Just say no?"

I heard next to nothing growing up and my wife only heard how evil and nasty sex was. After 40 years of marriage we still have serious issues.

You have a good point. People assume parents know what to teach their children but there's a surprising amount of ignorance on the subject with a lot of parents. I knew more technically than my parents on a few issues because I had more education about it. They didn't get the best sexual education either and in some ways carry through myths/ misconceptions to this day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have a good point. People assume parents know what to teach their children but there's a surprising amount of ignorance on the subject with a lot of parents. I knew more technically than my parents on a few issues because I had more education about it. They didn't get the best sexual education either and in some ways carry through myths/ misconceptions to this day.
I remember reading in a book by Cliff and Joyce Penner back in the mid 1980s that they were in favor of the school system handling sex ed. As conservative christians that kind of shocked me; but they made a very good case. Ignorance and lack of resources only served to perpetuate ignorance.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I remember reading in a book by Cliff and Joyce Penner back in the mid 1980s that they were in favor of the school system handling sex ed. As conservative christians that kind of shocked me; but they made a very good case. Ignorance and lack of resources only served to perpetuate ignorance.
And what if that included same sex attraction

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it's ridiculous to pretend that same-sex attraction doesn't exist. We may differ on what to do about it, but never mentioning it leaves young people extremely poorly equipped, not only for their own decision-making, but for social relationships with those around them!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's ridiculous to pretend that same-sex attraction doesn't exist. We may differ on what to do about it, but never mentioning it leaves young people extremely poorly equipped, not only for their own decision-making, but for social relationships with those around them!
And I think that is exactly what the Penners were talking about. Stuff that gets left out of parental based sex ed - for what ever reason - that really NEEDS to be addressed.

Same sex attraction is one of those things.

But what gets left out of either approach is HOW to redemptively manage those urges.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Information in sex education about this? I don't see a problem with facts and knowledge about it, especially when it comes to STD protection

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I think that is exactly what the Penners were talking about. Stuff that gets left out of parental based sex ed - for what ever reason - that really NEEDS to be addressed.

Same sex attraction is one of those things.

But what gets left out of either approach is HOW to redemptively manage those urges.

The challenge in this (note - I did not say problem, but challenge) is how to provide factual information on a topic that has become very politicized. No matter how a school tries to approach it, one side or the other (or both) will be unhappy with the approach and want their view proselytized.

• Agree
Upvote 0