Do Christians risk losing their faith at University?

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Members of the National Academy of Science are far more likely to withhold belief in the supernatural than the general population. Science majors in general lack belief more than the general population.

Biblical and New Testament scholars do not often hold conservative theological beliefs such as inerrancy. This often impacts scholarly views of the miraculous claims of the Bible and its broader supernatural claims. If a deeper analysis of the text leads to the liberalization of theological belief or secularity, should Christians pursue doctoral degrees in biblical scholarship?

According to this data trend, should conservative Christians pursue advanced degrees (Masters and Doctorates)?

Last edited:

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Members of the National Academy of Science are far more likely to withhold belief in the supernatural than the general population. Science majors in general lack belief more than the general population.

Even among scientists, atheists are a minority, however, with 51% believing in some form of God or Higher Power.

Scientists-and-Belief-1.gif

Biblical and New Testament scholars do not often hold conservative theological beliefs such as inerrancy.

The majority of Biblical and New Testament scholars do hold conservative theological beliefs, however.

If a deeper analysis of the text leads to the liberalization of theological belief or secularity

It does not. That's a ridiculous suggestion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The data is complex. You should look at this Gallup report: In America, Does More Education Equal Less Religion?

One thing to note is that most grad students in the sciences are foreign, usually from countries that aren't highly Christian. This makes cause and effect harder to see than you might expect.

The views of Biblical scholars are strongly split depending upon the type of school. Most scientists are probably trained in non-religious institutions. Biblical scholars there would generally not be conservative. There are, of course, plenty of religious colleges and Bible colleges. Depending upon denomination and relationship to the church, faculty there might well be conservative.

Deeper study of the Bible in a conservative environment might well support the conservative viewpoint. In a non-conservative environment, not.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Even among scientists, atheists are a minority, however.

Scientists-and-Belief-1.gif

The majority of Biblical and New Testament scholars do hold conservative theological beliefs, however.

It does not.
I didn't mention Atheists in my post. I referred to the top scientists in the National Academy of Sciences as withholding supernatural claims. A person may have no religious belief and still not identify as an atheist.

I don't know what you mean by conservative theological beliefs since that would change from tradition to tradition. I references inerrancy as an example. Clearly most scholars currently publishing tin the field of New Testament scholarship do not hold to inerrancy.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
The data is complex. You should look at this Gallup report: In America, Does More Education Equal Less Religion?

One thing to note is that most grad students in the sciences are foreign, usually from countries that aren't highly Christian. This makes cause and effect harder to see than you might expect.

The views of Biblical scholars are strongly split depending upon the type of school. Most scientists are probably trained in non-religious institutions. Biblical scholars there would generally not be conservative. There are, of course, plenty of religious colleges and Bible colleges. Depending upon denomination and relationship to the church, faculty there might well be conservative.
Those are great points. I found one study that suggests students do not lose their religious belief in college. However, when receiving advanced degrees in certain subjects, such as science and New Testament, those religious beliefs become less conservative and more liberal.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what you mean by conservative theological beliefs since that would change from tradition to tradition. I references inerrancy as an example. Clearly most scholars currently publishing tin the field of New Testament scholarship do not hold to inerrancy.
Are you sure? It may depend upon the publications you look at. There are plenty of Bible colleges with conservative faculty. I'd bet they publish somewhere.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Are you sure? It may depend upon the publications you look at. There are plenty of Bible colleges with conservative faculty. I'd bet they publish somewhere.
Yes, those professors publish, but they publish works that focus on textual analysis or historical reference. It is similar to scientists who are religious, their published works do not engage in theology or the supernatural.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Those are great points. I found one study that suggests students do not lose their religious belief in college. However, when receiving advanced degrees in certain subjects, such as science and New Testament, those religious beliefs become less conservative and more liberal.
To study that question you'd need to look at beliefs before and after education. If you only look at beliefs after education, conclusions would only be valid if scientists and non-scientists started college with the same views. That is very unlikely. It's probably unlikely even for US citizens, but it's absurd for the actual US scientific population.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
To study that question you'd need to look at beliefs before and after education. If you only look at beliefs after education, conclusions would only be valid if scientists and non-scientists started college with the same views. That is very unlikely. It's probably unlikely even for US citizens, but it's absurd for the actual US scientific population.
The previous Pew Survey I cited did look at religious beliefs of students entering and exiting university. They found no significant change in their theistic belief. They did not study however, if their beliefs liberalized or not.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I references inerrancy as an example. Clearly most scholars currently publishing tin the field of New Testament scholarship do not hold to inerrancy.

Actually, most scholars currently publishing in the field of New Testament scholarship would indeed hold to inerrancy.

Exactly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
According to this data trend, should conservative Christians pursue advanced degrees (Masters and Doctorates)?
It's probably at the undergraduate level that the danger is greatest, not at the graduate level.

That said, parents and students ought to research the reputations and histories of the various universities that are under consideration.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, most scholars currently publishing in the field of New Testament scholarship would indeed hold to inerrancy.
I think you are thinking of more popular writings--books you might find in a book store. I am talking about scholarly works published in peer reviewed journals or in presses like WM.B. Eerdmans or Oxford University Press. These are often not available in bookstores or on popular sites such as Amazon.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
It's probably at the undergraduate level that the danger is greatest, not at the graduate level.

That said, parents and students ought to research the reputations and histories of the various universities that are under consideration.
What should they research them for? What might discourage one from attending a particular school?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This paper http://religion.ssrc.org/reforum/Regnerus_Uecker.pdf argues that simply being g a young adult involves you in rethinking your beliefs, and those who don’t go to college are at least as likely to lose faith. High school students are very likely to go to church and say they are Christian if their parents are. When they get out of the house, this often changes. Whether they go to college or not.

• Agree
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What should they research them for? What might discourage one from attending a particular school?
It is possible to find information on any college's political slant, that of the professors, and also the policies that are in effect concerning free speech or the lack of it, etc.

Also, it is possible to ascertain what published codes of conduct apply to students, which student clubs are on campus, and other such information. A look at the courses of study that the institution offers also tells a lot about the school.

• Agree
Reactions: Silmarien
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Try not to be so patronising.

As am I, and I'm probably more familiar with the literature than you are.
You might be more familiar with the literature than I am--assuming you have advanced degrees in textual analysis, Greek, and Religious Studies.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This paper http://religion.ssrc.org/reforum/Regnerus_Uecker.pdf argues that simply being g a young adult involves you in rethinking your beliefs, and those who don’t go to college are at least as likely to lose faith.

Going to college for the first time, a young person with "fuzzy" beliefs often meets a clearly articulated alternative. That can trigger a rethink.

High school students are very likely to go to church and say they are Christian if their parents are. When they get out of the house, this often changes. Whether they go to college or not.

Indeed; that is very noticeable in the census data.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Biblical and New Testament scholars do not often hold conservative theological beliefs such as inerrancy. This often impacts scholarly views of the miraculous claims of the Bible and its broader supernatural claims. If a deeper analysis of the text leads to the liberalization of theological belief or secularity, should Christians pursue doctoral degrees in biblical scholarship?
I don't believe that deeper analysis of the text leads to liberalization or secular beliefs, but if people are taught to believe that it should, it can be a problem. My solution: Don't go to a liberal institution for your postgraduate Biblical studies.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
It is possible to find information on any college's political slant, that of the professors, and also the policies that are in effect concerning free speech or the lack of it, etc.

Also, it is possible to ascertain what published codes of conduct apply to students, which student clubs are on campus, and other such information. A look at the courses of study that the institution offers also tells a lot about the school.
Do you think it is important to choose a school based on the likelihood a student will maintain their religious beliefs?

Upvote 0