Do christians rely too heavily on prayer

Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An attempt at a parable, parody, satire.

The pet dog poops in the yard.
Christians: "We'll pray about this and God will fix it for us."

Pet dog continues to poop in the yard.
Christians: "We'll pray about this to God and He will fix this."

Eventually, entire yard is filled with dog poop.
Christians: "God, why hast thou forsaken us?!"

I believe prayer is real. God listens to the words of the faithful.

But for the power of prayer to be effective. People must not degrade their relationship with God by using prayer as a form of laziness or anti-intellectualism.

Prayer does not exist to educate people on things they could learn on their own with 5 seconds and a google search. And prayer does not exist, so that people can stop learning and stop growing in the faith.

To pray to God to fix things we ourselves are too lazy or lack the knowledge to fix. With zero attempt made on our part to better educate ourselves or fix problems. Is an incorrect format of prayer.

Please share with me, your thoughts on this.

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

But for the power of prayer to be effective. People must not abuse their relationship with God by using prayer as a form of laziness or anti-intellectualism.

Prayer does not exist to educate people on things they could learn on their own with 5 seconds and a google search. And prayer does not exist, so that people can stop learning and stop growing in the faith.

To pray to God to fix things we ourselves are too lazy or lack the knowledge to fix. With zero attempt made on our part to better educate ourselves or fix problems. Is an incorrect format of prayer.

There is never too much reliance on prayer. Whenever this kind of thing comes up the criticism is not of prayer but of laziness. Some people are lazy. Has nothing to do with prayer. For we should pray at all times (and many Saints achieved this).

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Prayer exists to strengthen our relationship with God and cause it to grow; to help ascertain God's will for us (alongside reading/learning Scripture of course); and to facilitate our wills in becoming more in line with God's perfect will.

So there are multiple ways prayer helps us.

I agree with you though, God's not a Santa Clause.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

But for the power of prayer to be effective. People must not degrade their relationship with God by using prayer as a form of laziness or anti-intellectualism.

There's a common thought among Christians, said in various ways, such as: "God is not a vending machine in the sky"

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

revybub

Just here to grow, learn, give council, love God
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
✟200,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The bible says pray with out ceasing for a reason.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

As with other spiritual things, we see everything backwards. We think prayer is for getting things. "Rely on prayer" is not the term I put on that. 'Rely on Christ' is better than 'rely on prayer', but a constant 'conversation' with Christ, is one of the best routes to relying on him.

Enoch walked with God.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Yeah some people do this, but I think you are mischaraterizing most prayer. That being said you are right that God gave us common sense and we should use it. Further, as we grow in understanding through prayer we should then walk it out in wisdom. Meaning we if we know it is the right thing to do, we don't need to ask God about it, we just need to do it.

Upvote 0

jeffweedaman

Nov 22, 2020
PROSPECT
✟82,293.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The only way to get the dog from pooping in your yard , is to get rid of the dog.

Christians must be asking God to kill it. I dont think God will want to do that.
We must learn to love the filthy animal.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There is never a bad reason for prayer.
It helps to alter the person praying so they begin
to see glimpses of God's perfect plans.

Do you know God's plans for you through interactive prayer? - Steps 1, 2, & 3

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

i found the opposite to be true. Ask and you shall be given does not indicate any labour whatsoever.

i asked The Lord for a new heart years ago already and then thought foolishly that religion had it right and i had to do and do, and rule and rule, just like Scripture teaches, i got ensnared terribly by my own set standards.

So on the contrary to what you say, it was not until i let Jesus Himself teach me to break with the input of my flesh, and satan whispering his lies in my ears, and the world 's ways and teachings ruling my inner world of being, that Jesus was able to renew my heart and set me free from those sins that had enslaved me.

It wasn't until the word took me on a personal ride that i came to realise that all of us have been trained in this world and by this world. i came to realise that much of my life of faith in Jesus had been hindered by my rational mind, educated by the world, it turned out to be one of my biggest enemy, (and went down in my life very much the same fashion as Babylon does in Revelation 18.)

This was the manner the light of light revealed to me. That faith in God's love needs to be living and active in Christ, and not in obedience to religious rules, values or morals, but that such was the unfaithful prostitute ruling me right inside my own heart. Such freedom when the word brought me freedom from those spiritual realities, living in my inner world of being.

All of this came about because of prayer that Christ Himself taught me, for all that stood in the way between Him and me would be taken away by the power of His loving truth coming to life within me through the works of the living word dwelling in me. And He did it and does it every day again since then.

Yet to learn to love true, we face far more opposition than i dared to believe possible. No one had ever taught me to understand that The Word had to become Alive within me, and that i would have to crucify myself in sin - time and again - before i would find newness of life with Him and in Him. i did not realise that it is His life we want, not our own. Yet it is all written.

So rather than doing things because we are compelled by our own values, rules and laws, those inner kings ruling, it is best to stop doing anything to improve yourself by yourself. Rather pour out your heart before Him, lay it completely bare, and let Him put you back together, with you watching on, rather than interfering in His process of salvation. i think you be amazed to see that He has to do all the work in you, otherwise it is not eternal.

It has been a lesson hard learned in my life.

Once He has rebuild you a free person. That means you have truly as free will, and you can choose not to sin, no matter how much sin entices, then you know that you are safely build in His loving truth and that you will, like Him and all the Saints, endure forever.

For i know that in my religious spirit i have not been invited to the Feast, in that lay my down fall time and again. Rather i have been set free from such nonsense always demanding adherence to rules and laws, always have to do. Always been ruled by thoughts and feelings that made my life miserable.

i have learned to trust prayer in Jesus completely, for i know that when we ask in His Spirit it is always yes, and it is always already done for me. The finished work of Jesus as my reward for trusting His loving truth. He would set me free from my sins and make me a believer that loves God and neighbour. Jesus has not disappointed me but loving build me into His loving truth. i will always love him for doing that.

Peace.

The Living Word Saves
Meeting Jesus down in my deepest Pit
brought an end to all my inner pain
For lovingly The Word made me fit
to have my Good Life back again.

First The Farmer pulled up my weeds
digging up the dirt and rocks within me
then lovingly sowing His Good Seeds
in time harvesting me most abundantly!

Yes The Word's Voice in Spirit of Love
The Living Word brought me under His care
His love dwelling within me from up above
His everlasting Good Life with me to share.

So please do from your pit walk away
also farming His Good Life in your soul
finding New Life in God's Truth today
The LIVING WORD your constant goal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A story of how God answers prayer.
A man was living in his home, when there was a flood. Neighbours came and offered him a lift to safty, he declined saying God would save him.
Fireman came to evacuate the arear, he declined because God would save him.
As the flood water rose a helicopter came to rescue him, he declined.
He drowned and in heaven asked God why didn't you save me.
The reply I sent your neighbours, the fireman and a helicopter all of which you refused to use.

Lesson.

God answers our prayers often through the use of doctors, nurses, police, neighbours etc etc.

In Gods economy of resources why should he use a miracle when human interaction does it.
We have to work at being married, a Christian etc etc

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

I hear you...

It's like this guy, who prays to God to win the lottery. Months go by, and this guy's knees are worn from all the prayer. So, finally, this guy asks "My Lord, why hast thou forsaken me?" Then God speaks, and says, "Won't you at least buy a ticket?"

Jokes aside, my view is to try fix stuff myself, and when struggling to do so, to ask for help on how to fix it. Not to sit back and be lazy.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't say you mean this, but there are people who pray to God, then they try to make things happen that they themselves are dictating that God wants them to do.

And they get wasted, because they are not submitting to how Jesus personally guides us. With Jesus we have creativity better than knowledge we might already have.

Prayer can be what gets us together with God, so then prayer keeps us with God all through the day, discovering how He personally guides us.

And this can be so much more efficient, than pushing our own selves and trying to control others . . . which can take a lot more time and energy, than if we simply stay with God and how He guides us.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Why spend good money on dog food anyway? No dog, no poop.

Matthew 15:26 But he answered, “It is not appropriate to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums