Do christians rely too heavily on prayer part 2

Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Millions of christians are praying for those suffering in afghanistan. Praying to God that healthcare and infrastructure might be fixed. Praying for jobs and a strong economy.

As a christian and believer in God. I do not like all of this random praying.

People pray to empower and enable illiteracy, a lack of knowledge and anti intellectualism.

We pray to God to fix healthcare. Rather than take the time to educate or inform ourselves as to how healthcare is broken.

We pray to God to help those in afghanistan. Rather than take the time to educate or inform ourselves as to the history of afghanistan and what went wrong there.

When the time for healthcare reform comes around, none of us support the right politics to fix healthcare. Due to none of us understanding the basics of how healthcare is broken. The same negative precedent applies to every topic we face as a people. People never know the basics, and always support the wrong things and people.

The bible teaches us how to fix healthcare and other issues faced by society, that the essential keys are knowledge, information and education:

John 8:32
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

We must know the truth -- the relevant and essential information on topics like healthcare in order to be free of problems related to them.

The bible teaches us why things like healthcare remain broken and never get fixed:

Hosea 4:6
My people perish from a lack of knowledge. “Because you have rejected knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the law of your God, I also will ignore your children.

Of course, our people are dying from a lack of knowledge. Not a lack of prayer.

People never have the knowledge or accurate information they need to fix issues like healthcare. Its not due to a lack of prayer.

Christians are supposed to study and attain the knowledge and information necessary to address issues like healthcare. Knowledge which we are supposed to share, to liberate others:

Isaiah 42:6
“I am the LORD, I have called You in righteousness,
I will also hold You by the hand and watch over You,
And I will appoint You as a covenant to the people,
As a light to the nations,

7To open blind eyes,
To bring out prisoners from the dungeon
And those who dwell in darkness from the prison.

Long story short, the world would be a better place.

If christians prayed less.

And google searched more to learn the basics of healthcare. To gain the knowledge and information needed for the truth to set them free. The information needed to understand how things are broken, and what is needed to fix things.

Then share what they learn with others, so others can be liberated and set free by the truth. And not perish for a lack of knowledge.

Prayer is good.

Prayer is real.

But prayer was not meant to reinforce notions of us failing to know basic knowledge on important topics which affect the lives of millions.

Many today lack the basic knowledge to understand what is happening in the world today. We lack the basic knowledge to know the truth. And that is what makes it difficult for us to be free.

Last edited:

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Millions of christians are praying for those suffering in afghanistan. Praying to God that healthcare and infrastructure might be fixed. Praying for jobs and a strong economy.

People pray to empower and enable illiteracy, a lack of knowledge and anti intellectualism.

We pray to God to fix healthcare. Rather than take the time to educate or inform ourselves as to how healthcare is broken.

We pray to God to help those in afghanistan. Rather than take the time to educate or inform ourselves as to the history of afghanistan and what went wrong there.

When the time for healthcare reform comes around, none of us support the right politics to fix healthcare. Due to none of us understanding the basics of how healthcare is broken. The same negative precedent applies to every topic we face as a people. People never know the basics, and always support the wrong things and people.

The bible teaches us how to fix healthcare and other issues faced by society, that the essential keys are knowledge, information and education:

The bible teaches us why things like healthcare remain broken and never get fixed:

My people perish from a lack of knowledge. “Because you have rejected knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the law of your God, I also will ignore your children.

People never have the knowledge or accurate information they need to fix issues like healthcare. Its not due to a lack of prayer.

Christians are supposed to study and attain the knowledge and information necessary to address issues like healthcare. Knowledge which we are supposed to share, to liberate others:

7To open blind eyes,

And google searched more to learn the basics of healthcare. To gain the knowledge and information they need for the truth to set them free. Then shared what they learned with others, so we can liberate. And not perish for a lack of knowledge.

Prayer is good.

Prayer is real.

But it was not mean to reinforce notions of us failing to know basic knowledge on important topics which affect the lives of millions.

Many today lack the basic knowledge to understand what is happening in the world today. We lack the basic knowledge to know the truth. And that is what makes it difficult for us to be free.
You can never pray too much. Many of the problems Christians face is because they don't pray. They take unsuitable jobs, get into bad relationships or make bad purchases because they don't consult God first. With places like Afghanistan, it is necessary to pray the right prayers. I've been praying for the Christians, who have never had it easy and now face even more difficulties.

When you don't know what to pray, "Your will be done" is fine.

The secret of prayer is 3-fold. There is someone to pray to - God, in Jesus' name. There is something to be prayed for (Philippians 4:6). And there is the devil to be prayed against.

So with Afghanistan, you can pray that God's will be done and his kingdom come in that antichrist nation. You can put a curse on Satan's will. Does prayer work? For sure. No one expected the collapse of the USSR. Christians had been praying for decades. When the devil is deeply lodged, it takes great effort from the saints to dislodge him.

I had an example of this a long time ago. A self proclaimed guru was leading all kinds of people astray, including celebrities who were influential and causing others to join (no, not Tom Cruise). Our group prayed about it and put a curse on Satan's will. Before long, the "guru" was exposed as a fraud and the whole movement collapsed.

I asked the Lord why that group collapsed when so many others remained. He showed me it was like a seed. If you dig a sapling out soon enough, it is easy. If it is left to grow, it sends out deep roots and is much harder.

We need to persist. We may not see any change, but God answers the prayers of His people. Keep asking, keep knocking, keep seeking. If what you ask is according to God's will, it will come to pass.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We must know the truth -- the relevant and essential information on topics like healthcare in order to be free of problems related to them.

7To open blind eyes,

And google searched more to learn the basics of healthcare. To gain the knowledge and information needed for the truth to set them free. The information needed to understand how things are broken, and what is needed to fix things.

Then share what they learn with others, so others can be liberated and set free by the truth. And not perish for a lack of knowledge.

Prayer is good.

Prayer is real.

But prayer was not mean to reinforce notions of us failing to know basic knowledge on important topics which affect the lives of millions.

There is never a wrong reason for prayer.
Prayer changes us into people who accept
that God knows what He's doing. Let His
will be done on earth.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The simple answer is no, we’re not praying nearly enough, because Christ commanded us to pray without ceasing, and people have attained that goal with remarkable results.

I don’t think you understand what prayer is for. You need to read books on prayer by the early Church fathers and the Eastern ascetics, for example, The Sayings of the Desert Fathers, the Philokalia, On the Prayer of Jesus and The Arena by St. Ignatius Brianchaninov, the anonymous Russian text The Way of the Pilgrim, and everything else of this nature you can find.

Take a look at The Life of St. Anthony, by St. Athanasius, the writings of St. Basil of Caesarea and St. Gregory Nazianzus, and St. Gregory of Nyssa, the Conferences of St. John Cassian, the work of Psuedo-Dionysius the Aeropagite, St. Symeon the New Theologian, St Isaac the Syrian, St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Joseph the Hesychast, whose skull I kissed in veneration at St. Anthony’s Monastery in Florence, Arizona, Elder Ephrem, who I met before he reposed in 2018, the founder of aforesaid monastery and several others in the US, who was an Athonite monk who revived some sketes and monasteries there before coming here, and St. Paisios the Hesychast, who I believe was Elder Ephrem’s spiritual father, and Father Lazarus el-Antony, the Anchorite Hermit at St. Anthony’s Monastery in Egypt, who is an Australian who became a Serbian Orthodox monk before being received into the Coptic Orthodox Church by Pope Shenouda, memory eternal (Serbian, Russian and Greek Orthodox are Eastern Orthodox, whereas Copts are Oriental Orthodox; the difference between the two Orthodox communions, and the other Eastern church no one knows about, the Assyrian Church of the East, is very slight, although a mass genocide in the 12th century lead to an end of their monastic tradition, which produced St. Isaac the Syrian.

@GreekOrthodox and @Pavel Mosko , who are Orthodox Christians, who in my opinion particularly excel at prayer, would be interested in this thread.

But even in the West we have a great tradition of prayer. Look at St. Theresa, St. John of the Cross, Meister Eckhardt, Soren Kierkegaard, John and Charles Wesley, the Carthusians, the Cistercians, Thomas Merton, even George Fox and the Quakers. Attend morning and evening prayer in an Anglican church, or a Low Mass in a Catholic church, or an Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, or Saturday Night Vigils in a Russian Orthodox Church, or Psalmody in a Coptic Church, or Vespers in any church that has Vespers as a standalone weekly service. Attend a meeting of unprogrammed worship by Friends (Quakers). Go to a monastery. There are Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Anglican and Methodist monasteries, not counting Taize, which is a semi-monastic retreat founded by a Calvinist, specifically focusing on the youth, which has its own rich prayer life and traditions developed over the past several decades.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Prayer is so important, I feel most at peace when attending or celebrating or concelebrating or serving another celebrant in the role of deacon or subdeacon in the Eucharist or Matins or Vespers or any other services in church. And outside of church, I feel most at peace when saying the Jesus Prayer.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,136.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My favorite lesson about prayer from the Apostle Paul is in 1 Thess 5

16 Rejoice evermore.

17 Pray without ceasing.

18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I will deal with both of your examples in turn.

7To open blind eyes,

None of these passages you cited teach us how to fix health care. Furthermore, there is not a consensus on how to fix health care. Many who have researched it in depth have come to different conclusions, turning it into a partisan issue. At which point, the civil thing to do is to pray for the opposition, rather than the alternatives that dictatorships employ.

Informing one's self of the history of Afghanistan won't bring justice to Afghanistan, or give the Gospel a strong foothold in Afghanistan. Those who are well-educated on Afghanistan's history couldn't produce a better solution than our failed nation building attempt, or as an alternative, killing millions of Afghans. The latter certainly will not result in the salvation of the millions who would be killed, and the former didn't bring the Gospel in a meaningful way on a large scale - before the Taliban's takeover, it was #2 on Open Doors' World Watch List, only behind North Korea. The more a good Christian educates one's self on Afghanistan, the more he or she will be compelled to pray.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the OP is really concerned with ineffective prayer.

Christians seem to pray a lot, but we don't seem to get tangible results.

Maybe we are using prayer as an excuse to feel good while remaining stupid, lazy, and disobedient.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the OP is really concerned with ineffective prayer.

Christians seem to pray a lot, but we don't seem to get tangible results.

Maybe we are using prayer as an excuse to feel good while remaining stupid, lazy, and disobedient.

If a Christian is disobedient, her prayers won't have much effect anyway.
Pro. 28:9
One who turns away his ear from hearing the law,
Even his prayer is an abomination.

And James 5:16
Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, and the Church and ancient Israel may now be in the same situation where God laments our sacrifices/prayers combined with a lack of obedience.

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

7To open blind eyes,

Prayer is good.

Prayer is real.

But prayer was not mean to reinforce notions of us failing to know basic knowledge on important topics which affect the lives of millions.

No. Just No.
Sorry but prayer is a tool given to us by God. And just like all tools, it is designed by God for a specific purpose, and to be used in a special manner, to accomplish what it was intended to do by God.
So using and applyingthe above directions, we can easily that each tool will work and will accomplish the purpose for which God designed it, provided that the accompanying directions are followed in it's use.
For example, I would not hold an electric chain saw up to a hedge and expect the saw to direct itself.
No, instead I would plug the cord provided into an electrical outlet, turn on the switch, and direct the saw where it should go, and in a manner that will accomplish what I intend that it should do.
So for prayer to work it must be:
1. Empowered.
2. Directed.
3. The person praying must be prepared to receive the outcome.
If none of these things are done, then it is far better to accept the fault than to blame God.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Our Heavenly Father wants us to pray; to rely on Him for every situation.Our Father knows all,has all knowledge. He can do all things. There is nothing too hard for Him. He has written for humanity instructions for life and Godliness.
2Chronicles instruct us
2 Chronicles7:14 If my people which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

This is very clear what we must do. First thing is lose the arrogance and humble ourselves. We are called Christians. We have His name! Certainly that means something to our Father. We are to earnestly pray, and seek His Face in every circumstance. We need to REPENT! From the richest to the poorest we need to turn from our wicked ways. Look at society. It is totally corrupt. But we Christians are charged with praying . It is us that needs to step up in praying. But WE need to tighten ourselves up before we can intercede for the world. We need to ditch fear and hatred and learn to love our fellowman.There is too much of it in the Body of Christ. Look at how much fear and anxiety of the pandemic has gripped the Church. But the scripture instructs us:
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.

5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with THANKSGIVING let your requests be made known unto God.

7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

It is impossible for our Father to lie, so we can trust His Word.He will do what He said He would do if we just follow simple instructions.

Upvote 0

Ayenew

Mar 2, 2019
Addis Ababa
✟35,266.00
Country
Ethiopia
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

7To open blind eyes,

Prayer is good.

Prayer is real.

I don't think prayer is meant to replace what we have to do. And, may be, that's why one of the most prayer man in the Bible is also one of the strongest warriors in the Bible, David.

Prayer comes because things won't change positively, just because we worked hard. I believe it's a way of giving our efforts so that God will make it for our good and for the good of others. It's also a way of expressing our obedience to God.

This is, I think, completely wrong statement. The world is a better place, because Christians prayed more.

Pray as much as you can. And do as hard as you can, under God's guidance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is, I think, completely wrong statement. The world is a better place, because Christians prayed more.

Pray as much as you can. And do as hard as you can, under God's guidance.
Amen!:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Prayer is good.

Prayer is real.

But prayer was not meant to reinforce notions of us failing to know basic knowledge on important topics which affect the lives of millions.

NO! I think many have an Deistic attitude towards God. He is a Celestial Clockmaker who sits apart from his creation for the most part and expects us to run things. Your post reminds me of a meme making its round on the Facebook. A man in robes cries out to Jesus "heal me" and Jesus puts his hand on his shoulder and says "get vaccinated". Lots of people have replaced the Gospel with the Social Gospel.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
NO! I think many have an Deistic attitude towards God. He is a Celestial Clockmaker who sits apart from his creation for the most part and expects us to run things.
Yes most secular people and some Christians see our Father in this way. But, Christians have the indwelling Holy Spirit and we are suppose to know that He is in us, wanting us to yield to Him so He can work His will through us just as He did through Jesus Christ when he walked the Earth as Son of Man.Lord Jesus had to leave us, but He said:
John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
Do we believe this? Do we do this? Do we Christians really want to comply? Scripture tells us in James:
James 4:1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Upvote 0