Do Christians really believe God can heal?

Soloworld

Mark
Jul 14, 2011
Great North
✟24,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is a question today, the can get you a vehemently charge answer. But why? Shouldn't believers seek God for their help and healing and not get upset if you seemingly pose the question without even asking it...did you? Or today do we view Him as a second, third or forth choice just not in healing, but really anything. It is a great discussion to bring up because if believers seen God as there first protection and help and the rest of everything out there as second, third, or forth line of defense maybe we would not be sitting in the situation we are today. If God's people are not going to lead then they must follow, but what are you following?

I made this video about my experience with God healing through the years. The knowledge He gave me by believing in faith really help me to trust God first. I guess what I am telling you put your trust in people alone and they can really screw you up! If you do watch this video read down in the video description to how I really came to see it and the impact it is having us.

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 8:43
And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any

The physicians who treated the woman with the issue of blood took everything she had, yet they are remembered for the results of their treatment.

Luke 8:48
And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.

Romans 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Reactions: Soloworld
Upvote 0

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Healing was one of thhe focal points of Christ's ministry and then the apostles after him. God declared Himself to be Jehovah Rapha - the Lord who heals. There is a continuity between this self-revelation in the OT, Christ's healing ministry and the dispensation of healing through the apostles. There is no reason to believe that such miracles ended at some arbitrary point Anno Domini.

We might also say that healing is coextensive with evangelism. The purpose of the gift of healing is first and foremost to give glory to God

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is a question today, the can get you a vehemently charge answer. But why? Shouldn't believers seek God for their help and healing and not get upset if you seemingly pose the question without even asking it...did you? Or today do we view Him as a second, third or forth choice just not in healing, but really anything. It is a great discussion to bring up because if believers seen God as there first protection and help and the rest of everything out there as second, third, or forth line of defense maybe we would not be sitting in the situation we are today. If God's people are not going to lead then they must follow, but what are you following?

I made this video about my experience with God healing through the years. The knowledge He gave me by believing in faith really help me to trust God first. I guess what I am telling you put your trust in people alone and they can really screw you up! If you do watch this video read down in the video description to how I really came to see it and the impact it is having us.

God can and does heal. However, God is not obligated to heal. The criteria He uses is something only known to Him. We just have to trust Him and His decisions regarding these things. Besides, all born-again Christians are healed when they die and go into the Lord's presence apart from this fallen flesh we inhabit presently. But, I never forget that the greatest healing is when a person becomes born-again of the Spirit of God through faith in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hi, God healed my ankle from a tennis injury that was causing me pain in 2007.

A healing

I prayed and He healed, just amazing...

God bless...

Upvote 0

Soloworld

Mark
Jul 14, 2011
Great North
✟24,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think what I hear in the comments if God chooses to heal. I think it can become easy then to move to the assumption that he probably will not because of x,y,z and our belief is just not there. Maybe in a ritualistic way we go through the motion of praying for or laying hands on, but is out of faith or obligation to look faithful.
Jesus said, one of those signs that accompany those who believe is they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover. I think it is with heart of faith we go into it. As servants or slaves of Christ delivering what God told us and believing that is who we are doing for.
Just some additional thoughts I had. I didn't list all the healings in the videos I post that came from believing, praying and laying hands on the sick, but I have watch God do it so many times I don't have doubts He is able and maybe why I see Him do it, with me being just the vessel used to deliver it.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's great that you are going to pray for others. Do you have a mentor in your church or area? Not that it's mandatory. Don't know if you plan to go out but in Luk 10 they were sent out 2 x 2.

Also, some keep records of those they pray for and their testamonies. Can see where that would be a tremendous task.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soloworld

Mark
Jul 14, 2011
Great North
✟24,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's great that you are going to pray for others. Do you have a mentor in your church or area? Not that it's mandatory. Don't know if you plan to go out but in Luk 10 they were sent out 2 x 2.

Also, some keep records of those they pray for and their testamonies. Can see where that would be a tremendous task.
Thanks for your comments tturt. It is hard to find a mentor, don't you think?

Many years ago it would have been great to have a mentor when I was a new christian, but a lot of things that require faith to walk in sometimes the only one who really can lead you is Jesus through the work of the Spirit. God's help (grace) illuminates your path through your desire for Him.

Today, the church I am in and the believers around me can be very discouraging when you listen to them. So what has been helpful through the years is that relationship that you keep fresh with God that sustains your life, so that you can remain in fellowship with the believers around you in a healthy way even if they are not.
Seaking about going with someone, I think my favorite is to have my wife with me, but when God prompts me or her to witness that is not always possible. I don't know if you seen the other vids ((I use videos because my writing is not always the best and takes awhile to correct before I post) I make these vids to give my thoughts like some use their words in written format.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the few times, we had pretty good response by introducing ourselves and asking if they wanted prayer to the Lord. After praying for/with them, do you encourage them to read Scripture, etc You can add a second phone number for a couple of dollars monthly fee if you want contact - just for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
God can and does heal. However, God is not obligated to heal. The criteria He uses is something only known to Him.

We need to look at the word you use, "obligated". What is one meaning? Would you say God is obligated to save one? Some don't as in Calvinists. Others as myself believe if proper conditions are met and the person is willing to believe and receive, well it's no such much that where we should like to say God is obligated but rather that he wants to and his word said he would.

We just have to trust Him and His decisions regarding these things.

I hold rather to he already made a decision to heal. Jesus ‘He took up our infirmities and bore our diseases’.Is 53:4 and Jesus used this declaration to heal ALL in Matt 8:17 . Also in 1 Pt 2:24 Peter stated by his stripes we were healed. So that's a message to the universal body of Christ not just in one select region of Israel. Now if one wanted to say obligated....as I said I don't care for that word as I wouldn't care to hear someone say I'm obligated to take care of my children. I don't want to hear the word obligated over something I want to do anyway. It would almost make it seem like I didn't want to do it.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We need to look at the word you use, "obligated". What is one meaning? Would you say God is obligated to save one? Some don't as in Calvinists. Others as myself believe if proper conditions are met and the person is willing to believe and receive, well it's no such much that where we should like to say God is obligated but rather that he wants to and his word said he would.

I hold rather to he already made a decision to heal. Jesus ‘He took up our infirmities and bore our diseases’.Is 53:4 and Jesus used this declaration to heal ALL in Matt 8:17 . Also in 1 Pt 2:24 Peter stated by his stripes we were healed. So that's a message to the universal body of Christ not just in one select region of Israel. Now if one wanted to say obligated....as I said I don't care for that word as I wouldn't care to hear someone say I'm obligated to take care of my children. I don't want to hear the word obligated over something I want to do anyway. It would almost make it seem like I didn't want to do it.
Well, rather than straining out a gnat over the subject and quibbling over the meaning of words, we will just have to agree to disagree. Not everybody gets healed. This is a fact. Even Jesus didn't heal everybody and grew tired of doing it because that is all people wanted, so He stopped. It is no different today. Rather than getting to know our God, many only want Him for the physical blessings He offers. True healing is dying and going to be with the Lord. Instead of getting lost in the minutia of what word I used and our differing opinions of the scriptures you cited, let's just trust God will teach us. We can't both be correct, but we can both be wrong. Grace and peace.

Upvote 0

Soloworld

Mark
Jul 14, 2011
Great North
✟24,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for sharing. I had to remind myself about something I need God's healing for just tongiht when i was talking to my wife, I think because of modern medicine and living in affluent country it is easy sometimes not to trust God that He can heal you.
Instead we make plans to the contrary because then we don't have to interface with God for our need and with other things that we might contemplate in prayer before Him. A relationship with anyone requires effort and unfortunately for too many christians the effort it takes to be in relationship with God can get in the way or our own wants and desires. So, we take other routes to fulfill our needs. If we do that in marriage we eventually in end in divorce because there is no purpose to having that relationship.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where is it Jesus got tired of healing and stopped while He was on earth?

There are hindrances to prayers being answered such as "Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered." I Peter 3:7

Think it's interesting that it's not gift but gifts

Anyway, for those who believe in God healing -Wondering how you view the gifts of healing "...another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;" I Cor 12:

imo Realizing that faith is vital for healing so when praying for others we need faith in God for healing for their particular sickness / illness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soloworld

Mark
Jul 14, 2011
Great North
✟24,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where is it Jesus got tired of healing and stopped while He was on earth?

There are hindrances to prayers being answered such as "Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered." I Peter 3:7

Think it's interesting that it's not gift but gifts

Anyway, for those who believe in God healing -Wondering how you view the gifts of healing "...another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;" I Cor 12:

imo Realizing that faith is vital for healing so when praying for others we need faith in God for healing for their particular sickness / illness.
I think you are right. Having faith is a two-fold thing, one, you yourself are living pleasing to God the best you know how, knowing that not doing so can hinder you as an individual in having confidence in Christ that part is our part. The second, is when praying for others out of that confidence in Christ that God is able to heal or do things needed the seem humanly impossible... The rest is up to God what that will look like.

Another verse that goes along with the one you mentioned, Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The urgent request of a righteous person is very powerful in its effect. HSCB James 5:16

Other versions may say, The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

Concerning the gifts of healing, I think of it as something the recipient could not have paid for or earned, but God's Spirit gives a person a healing as a gift. All the more reason we shouldn't be shy in praying for others or asking for ourselves, because God will or may give us what we ask, because He is a good father who desires to take care of His own (creation)! Unfortunately, man and sin has been constantly working against that. Like a disobedient child towards a father, then what can the father do? It would be wrong to reward bad behavior, even though God does have mercy on us when we sin it is not how He desires us to live.

I believe some have faith in knowing God is able to heal, so they pray for people and see more healings.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am one who never believed in healing up until, I experienced my own divine encounter. My story is a very long one, as I experienced many different attacks in one go. I tend to narrow everything down to one problem, when I comment, as i have to try and keep the very long story as short as possible.

God still heals and delivers today Absolutely YES, if it's His Sovereign will to do so. But even if He doesn't or we do not believe, let us keep pressing on, regarding our salvation. At the end of the day, we will be healed someday permanently in heaven.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It is a question today, the can get you a vehemently charge answer. But why? Shouldn't believers seek God for their help and healing and not get upset if you seemingly pose the question without even asking it...did you? Or today do we view Him as a second, third or forth choice just not in healing, but really anything.

I think Christians get a bit...tense when someone brings up the matter of miraculous healing because they have encountered believers who want to make healing a litmus test of spirituality. Despite the apostle Paul clearly saying not all have the gift of healing, and despite the examples in the NT of Christians not being healed (Trophimus, Epaphroditus, Tabitha, Timothy, Paul), and though healing is listed in Scripture as a "lesser gift," these healing-is-for-everybody types press fellow Christians to make healing a prominent feature of their living, insinuating they have a shallow, juvenile faith if they don't. And this is why - some of the time, anyway - there can be very vehement responses to having brought up the matter of healing.

Romans 12:4-6
4 For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function,
5 so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
6 Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;

1 Corinthians 12:8-11
8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit,
9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.

1 Corinthians 12:28-31
28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

It is a great discussion to bring up because if believers seen God as there first protection and help and the rest of everything out there as second, third, or forth line of defense maybe we would not be sitting in the situation we are today.

What "situation" are you talking about, exactly?

If God's people are not going to lead then they must follow, but what are you following?

Where does God's word say Christians must lead? And lead who?

I think what I hear in the comments if God chooses to heal. I think it can become easy then to move to the assumption that he probably will not because of x,y,z and our belief is just not there.

Far more important, I think, than our capacity to believe is our willingness to live in constant surrender to God's will and way (Micah 6:8; Romans 6:13-22; Romans 8:14; Romans 12:1; James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:6). If one is doing this throughout every day, faith in the right measure in the right things happens naturally and powerfully.

Jesus said, one of those signs that accompany those who believe is they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover.

And the cases of Trophimus, Epaphroditus, Tabitha, Timothy and Paul who received no miraculous healing (except Tabitha, who had to die of her illness first)? These all indicate that, as some have already noted in this thread, healing is not guaranteed to believers.

As servants or slaves of Christ delivering what God told us and believing that is who we are doing for.

And if it serves God's purposes to keep a person ill? Are you willing for this to be? Often people only turn to God in humility and dependence when they have been pressed by disease and the prospect of death to do so. Healing may, in these cases, work contrary to what God is doing in a person's life. Do you take this into account in your views on healing? God kept Paul weak and dependent through a "thorn in his flesh," didn't He? But the result was that the power of God was more fully flowing in and through Paul. "When I am weak then am I strong," he wrote. Do you believe him? Or was Paul's faith simply too weak?

I am not denying God heals some even today. But I would urge you not to deride fellow believers who don't adopt your degree of enthusiasm about this particular gift. See above.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I definitely believe God can heal; he's healed me physically, and spiritually.

But I also know how easy it is to make assumptions, i.e. "God can heal and always wants to heal so he WILL heal you - but if he doesn't do it right now in the way that we ask, then it's YOUR fault; lack of faith, unconfessed sin etc."
Christians who pray, and have prayed, for physical healing have been left feeling worse off by being blamed for not receiving from God.

I had M.E for 18 years.
I was certain, from the beginning, that God could heal me - yet if he had done so, immediately I asked him, I would have missed out on so much. It's very likely I would have said "thank you very much" and carried on being busy, busy. Instead, I learnt that he did not stop loving me because I could not DO much; my worth was not in my achievements. I learnt to trust him and lean on him when I had little physical strength. I learnt new hobbies, and did things that I may not have done otherwise - e.g becoming secretary of a local M.E group, building a website and even training as a preacher.

12 years ago, God miraculously healed me.
This was fantastic and I felt like I got my life back. But I still thank him for all the things I learned when I had M.E.; when, in the eyes of some Christians, I had little faith and was not trusting.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe God heals and experienced it on many levels. Including the removal of incurable diseases. I can’t say my life was better, faith was deeper, or anything along those lines. It was grace in action.

This is a sensitive subject. Compassion should season our comments. There are many walking with the Lord who’ve sought the same and haven’t received it. Whether they will only He knows. Healing shouldn’t be a barometer for this or that.

~bella

Upvote 0