Do Christians need to belong to a church?

_Dave_

Supporter
Jan 3, 2019
Arizona
✟144,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do we know which churches are apostate, or more specifically, heretical? Is a church being heretical a denominational issue, like many will argue (e.g. our sacraments are superior to your sacraments, your sacraments are satanic mockery of our true sacraments) or is it the attitude of the local congregation regardless of denomination?

You can tell a lot by going to the church's website and reading their statement of doctrine. The websites for a couple of mainline denominations (that I won't mention) blatantly state that they don't believe in the rapture, the 1,000-year physical reign of Christ on the Throne of David, and that God still has a plan for His people Israel.

Someone looking for good, solid, biblical teaching would not want to set foot inside these churches no matter the great fellowship and social values they offer ... other than to remain milk Christians and just to enjoy the fellowship.

• Informative
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That's a mature way to view it. Problem is some of the body parts want to hack off the other parts. 'If thy eye offend thee...'
If thy eye offend thee talks about lusting after women, it even invites the offender to cut his hand off in juxtaposition. It illustrates that the body doesn't cause us to sin, it's something deeper.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You can tell a lot by going to the church's website and reading their statement of doctrine. The websites for a couple of mainline denominations (that I won't mention) blatantly state that they don't believe in the rapture, the 1,000-year physical reign of Christ on the Throne of David, and that God still has a plan for His people Israel..
Most of that would not constitute a heresy in the average church body, and certainly not apostasy. However, there no doubt are some denominations or congregations which would think of departure from the POV of the church on even such a matter as how exactly to interpret the Bible reference to the thousand years as constituting a heresy.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just want to hear that it's all good. So thanks! ;)
If you desire to hear that it is ok to not go to church.....why ask Christian? There are much more people in the world who would be willing to tell you what you desire to hear.

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Romans 8

Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟114,753.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah now it is more clear. You are getting pressured by the Pastor in your church to attend frequently.

It's slightly invasive yeah.

Maybe the Pastor is insecure? Maybe he/she needs to be less controlling? Maybe you need to remind he/she that Christ lives in you whether or not you attend "meetings". Let's be reasonable and reason with love and honesty.
Blessings

Insecure, possibly so. It's a smaller congregation and so one person means a lot more than a much larger congregation that's less noticeable.

He will get used to my schedule, I'm still fairly new. God Bless!

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟114,753.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you desire to hear that it is ok to not go to church.....why ask Christian? There are much more people in the world who would be willing to tell you what you desire to hear.

Raymond, Raymond. Please read through the thread before commenting. Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It may matter what the doctrines of the church happen to be. If regular Sunday attendance is part of the creed in that church, officially or unofficially so, then there is an expectation that all members will be present, barring illness or other unavoidable reasons.

But if that is not part of the religious belief system of the congregation, the pastor is merely urging regular attendance for all the good reasons people attend worship services.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Calvin_1985

Sep 1, 2018
Roanoke
✟22,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've heard different views from, "Yes, there is no exception or excuse", to, "No, you are the church". Are there verses in the bible that dictate we must go? If we're Spirit filled and pray on our own, is that considered ok?

I'm not attempting to get out of going to a church. I currently attend one twice a week and two others now and then, but my lifestyle changes and so does my job. Also, sometimes I go through stages where I just don't want to be on a hectic schedule. What say you?
Stop coming on here asking these questions and follow Yeshua Messiah and He will guide you into the truth. I do not know the intent of your question, but if you genuinely are trying to settle some thoughts of your mind and heart, then seek Fathwr on this. You're only going to get a ton of different answers on here that use selected verses and traditions to sway you in one direction or another.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟114,753.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Stop coming on here asking these questions and follow Yeshua Messiah and He will guide you into the truth.

He didn't just say what I think he said...did he? You've no authority to demand anything from anyone.

I do not know the intent of your question, but if you genuinely are trying to settle some thoughts of your mind and heart, then seek Fathwr on this.

Then ask before replying with nonsense.

You're only going to get a ton of different answers on here that use selected verses and traditions to sway you in one direction or another.

That's why I posted here. Is this not a forum?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
You can tell a lot by going to the church's website and reading their statement of doctrine. The websites for a couple of mainline denominations (that I won't mention) blatantly state that they don't believe in the rapture, the 1,000-year physical reign of Christ on the Throne of David, and that God still has a plan for His people Israel..

In my church that's actually considered heresy, the Augsburg Confession actually condemns chiliasm. Many Protestants did, historically.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Does God say we need to take communion/go to church? Serious question.

If we are only thinking of church as a burdensome obligation, we are missing the big picture.

Upvote 0

CGB3928

Feb 6, 2019
SouthEast USA
✟10,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've heard different views from, "Yes, there is no exception or excuse", to, "No, you are the church". Are there verses in the bible that dictate we must go? If we're Spirit filled and pray on our own, is that considered ok?

I'm not attempting to get out of going to a church. I currently attend one twice a week and two others now and then, but my lifestyle changes and so does my job. Also, sometimes I go through stages where I just don't want to be on a hectic schedule. What say you?
No we are not mandated by the bible to attend a building as a group and worship God. But King David did say he was glad to go into the House of the Lord. So it's a good thing and I pay my tithes. Does not have any effect on your salvation or anything like that. A lot of times I get quite weary of attending church myself. I only go sunday mornings and the occasional friday night communion, and I don't tarry after church I go home. But I have seen too many people that actually think God is impressed or they get brownie points from God for attending church. Going to church saves no one and unfortunately too many so called "Christians" have agendas at church that have nothing to do with God. That's why church attendance is at an all time low. And I know why.

• Agree
Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟667,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'Do Christians need to belong to a church?'
'I got a couple text messages from the Pastor when I skipped sessions (for mostly legitimate reasons), but I don't really want that kind of pressure.'

Attending a church and 'belonging' to a church are two different states of being, at least in the various churches I've attended in the past 10 years. Mere attendance never seems to be sufficient. They tend to push and pressure for official membership over attendance, even during service, which usually requires classes and some public welcoming ceremony. I'm sure this is structured this way to make sure all the congregation is on the same page, but can also seem sectarian. I"m wondering if this is an issue the op is having with his specific church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Calvin_1985

Sep 1, 2018
Roanoke
✟22,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He didn't just say what I think he said...did he? You've no authority to demand anything from anyone.

Then ask before replying with nonsense.

That's why I posted here. Is this not a forum?
Please don't take what I said as a demand, it isn't meant for that, but is a suggestion for the love I have for you. Jesus has the authority, that's why I point you in the direction of Him as it is he that holds the answers you are looking for. There is no need to be offended. I genuinely thought maybe you were searching for sincere answers to some questions you have, but it is clear by your response to me that you have another intent, but I ask, what does your intent profit you? What does this do in helping you grow closer in the image of Our Yeshua Messiah?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Romans 8

Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟114,753.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No we are not mandated by the bible to attend a building as a group and worship God. But King David did say he was glad to go into the House of the Lord. So it's a good thing and I pay my tithes. Does not have any effect on your salvation or anything like that. A lot of times I get quite weary of attending church myself. I only go sunday mornings and the occasional friday night communion, and I don't tarry after church I go home. But I have seen too many people that actually think God is impressed or they get brownie points from God for attending church. Going to church saves no one and unfortunately too many so called "Christians" have agendas at church that have nothing to do with God. That's why church attendance is at an all time low. And I know why.

I'm getting the feeling from this Pastor that he thinks the more times we meet in one week, the better for reasons in his own mind. But I can pray and worship at home too. I don't think attending more than once a week is going to bring me closer to God since I spend most of my time reading the bible and reading about the bible (minus the time I've been spending in CF which has been a lot lately).
Thanks I totally agree with your post! God Bless!

• Agree
Reactions: CGB3928
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No we are not mandated by the bible to attend a building as a group and worship God.

First, the question did not ask if we should "attend a building" (if that even makes sense).

Second, the Bible--specifically, the New Testament--has plenty to say, positively, about believers gathering together for worship, instruction, and fellowship.

Some of what happens there is referred to separately. The worship leaders are identified and their qualifications given. People who started up new assemblies are referred to. And more.

If the question is asked about the importance of assembling together, there are likely to be people saying yea and others saying nay, but there is no question whatsoever about what the Bible has to say on the subject!

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would say one should actually not go to church or attend a local church.

Instead, one should be part of a local church.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear OP

It is essential that you belong to a Christian fellowship i.e. a church.

How important?

Really, really, really. really,
IMPORTANT!!

What did Jesus say?
I am the vine and you are the branches.
What did the early Christians do?
They met *together* and they prayed constantly ... together.

You cannot be an isolated Christian. Yet I get the impression that a lot of people who visit here arw trying to do this.

Let me say this. Isolation has become a sickness in America. Really - it is a social illness. People live in their houses for years and years, and they do not even know who their neighbor is. This behavior has become so common in America, that a lot of people actually think it is normal.

It is not normal. The best way for you to see why ... is to go and live in another culture e.g. any country in Central America or S. Amrica. Then you will belong to a real community, and you will understabd what the word community really means.

So back to your question ... you need to belong to a real fellowship with real people. Face to Face contact.

Blessings!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I would say one should actually not go to church or attend a local church.

Instead, one should be part of a local church.

You said so much with so few words. In fact I was trying to emphasize a similar point on another thread, but didn't put it so elegantly. Many Americans tend to focus on "attending", but the actual idea you belong to something is increasingly dying. But belonging in itself is an important spiritual discipline.

Reactions: HatGuy
Upvote 0