Do Christians need to belong to a church?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, I find that comment to be amazing, since the explicit command of Christ to his Apostles was to go into the whole world and baptize...and that's to say nothing of his own baptism, done as an example. And there's no way to ignore the Last Supper, what Christ said about it, and about future observances of it.

True, but your post dismissed ALL of them.

Then the obviously correct approach would be to observe the sacraments properly, not talk as though we should have nothing to do with them at any time, under any circumstances, etc.

Again, I believe we are to be baptized and to partake in the Lord's supper.

However, I believe the Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, etc. view on baptism and the Lord's supper is not biblical. They also classify baptism and the Lord's supper under an umbrella word that is not unbiblical (i.e. sacraments). The word “sacraments” does not appear in the Bible and it usually is identified with these particular churches that partake in extra biblical practices not found in His Holy Word, as well. There is no biblical warrant for praying to the dead, and or partaking in odd ceremonies that the Bible does not clearly talk about.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Without attending a Church one cannot participate in the sacraments. That begins with baptism. For a person to be "Spirit filled and pray on [his] own" can be found nowhere in the new testament.

I politely disagree friend, John the Baptist is one example.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Again, I believe we are to be baptized and to partake in the Lord's supper.

However, I believe the Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, etc. view on baptism and the Lord's supper is not biblical. They also classify baptism and the Lord's supper under an umbrella word that is not unbiblical (i.e. sacraments). The word sacraments does not appear in the Bible and it usually it with these particular churches that partake in extra biblical practices not found in His Holy Word, as well.
Okay, so you prefer the Baptistic or some other view of the sacraments. You haven't said what is wrong with the view you attribute to the churches you named, so I'll just have to let that pass as perhaps a consequence of not being entirely aware of what it is that they believe.

The concern over a relatively bland word like "sacrament" is a bit mystifying, especially since, if taken literally, it applies best to the symbolism-only view of the sacraments that most non-denominational, Baptist, Pentecostal, and similar denominations take.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so you prefer the Baptistic or some other view of the sacraments.

Get the word “sacraments” out of your head. The word does not exist in the Bible.
Also, I am farthest thing from being a Baptist. I disagree with their view on Soteriology.

You said:
The concern over a relatively bland word like "sacrament" is a bit mystifying, especially since, if taken literally, it applies to the symbolism-only view of the sacraments that most non-denominational, Baptist, Pentecostal, and similar denominations take.

Again, the word is not found in the Bible, and thus it does not exist when we talk about the faith.
Faith comes by hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Get the word “sacraments” out of your head. The word does not exist in the Bible.

Neither do Trinity, Millennium, Altar Call, Rapture, and dozens of other words that people of multiple denominations use routinely. This is not an issue.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Neither do Trinity,

It's another word for “Godhead” that appears 3 times in the King James Bible.

You said:
Millennium,

It means 1,000 years.

You said:
Altar Call,

While I am not against people doing an Altar Call, I am not a Protestant.
So yes, the term is not biblical. A call to accept Jesus Christ would be more appropriate biblicaly speaking.

You said:

It means a seizure and or taking away, which is exactly what the Bible describes.

You said:
and dozens of other words that people of multiple denominations use routinely. This is not an issue.

The problem with the word “sacraments” is that it is word often associated with extra biblical practices in various churches like the Catholic church. When we start to add to what God's Word says we are in dangerous waters. Again, this gets at the heart of why many have a problem with institutionalized churches. They start making up stuff that is not in the Bible. The OP appears to be concerned with the Pastor in being authoritarian when the Pastor should lead by example. Remember, Jesus said the greatest among you serves. We are told by Jesus not to be like the Gentiles in that they are authoritarian.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.” (Matthew 20:25).

In other words, the Pastor or spiritual leader mentioned in the OP is not following Matthew 20:25. Thus, he is disqualified and another body of believers needs to be sought after. I think the OP should text Matthew 20:25 the next time the Pastor requires his attendance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's another word for “Godhead” that appears 3 times in the King James Bible.
But you are okay with saying "Trinity" although it's not in the Bible. (?)

It means 1,000 years.
And it's okay to say Millennium, too. (?)

So what's different about "sacrament?"

Remember that this disagreement is NOT about what various words mean, despite you defining these for us. It's about using a word that is not in the Bible. This seems to bother you.

Yet, you appear to have just approved of Trinity and Millennium simply because you can offer a definition for them, despite neither of them being in the Bible.

The problem with the word “sacraments” is that it is word often associated with extra biblical practices in various churches like the Catholic church.
Ah. Then let's compile a better list of forbidden words--ones that one denomination or another has misused, thus making such word or words unusable by other Christians. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But you are okay with saying "Trinity" although it's not in the Bible. (?)

And it's okay to say Millennium, too. (?)

So what's different about "sacrament?"

Remember that this disagreement is NOT about what various words mean, despite you defining these for us. It's about using a word that is not in the Bible. This seems to bother you.

Yet, you appear to have just approved of Trinity and Millennium simply because you can offer a definition for them, despite neither of them being in the Bible.

I don't have a problem with bibical synonyms. I have a problem with a word associated with extra biblical practices and that is what the word “sacraments” paints a picture of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a problem with bibical synonyms. I have a problem with a word associated with extra biblical practices and that is what the word “sacraments” paints a picture of.

Perhaps that's true...but only to people who do not understand the word...or who dislike Catholics.

After all, that's the church that has seven of them and places the most emphasis upon the sacraments.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps that's true...but only to people who do not understand the word...or who dislike Catholics.

After all, that's the church that has seven of them and places the most emphasis upon the sacraments.

I am not against the people who call themselves Catholics, but I dislike their belief in that it teaches extra biblical things that we are not supposed to add to His Word. I believe Orthodox, and Anglican churches are spin offs of the Catholic church (even though you may disagree with that). For there is still the praying to the dead and extra biblical ceremonies in Orthodox, and Anglican churches. Again, the institutionalized churches of today is simply not what we read about in the New Testament. There are many religious practices that are added to God's Holy Word. This is not how things should be. We are to follow God's Word alone.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am not against the people who call themselves Catholics, but I dislike their belief in that it teaches extra biblical things that we are not supposed to add to His Word. I believe Orthodox, and Anglican churches are spin offs of the Catholic church (even though you may disagree with that). For there is still the praying to the dead and extra biblical ceremonies in Orthodox, and Anglican churches. Again, the institutionalized churches of today is simply not what we read about in the New Testament. There are many religious practices that are added to God's Holy Word. This is not how things should be. We are to follow God's Word alone.

IMHO, trying to explain all the mistakes in that post probably won't succeed better than what should have been quick and easy--defining "sacrament." So, here's hoping the rest of your day goes well. :wave:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A person who was Spirit filled and prayed on his own without receiving the sacraments.
John obviously couldn't have participated in any sacraments before Christ instituted them, nor could ANY of the Old Testament figures like Moses and Abraham, etc. None of that affects the nature and functioning of the Church Christ founded.

But what exactly are you pointing to in John's life as we know it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
IMHO, trying to explain all the mistakes in that post probably won't succeed better than what should have been quick and easy--defining "sacrament." So, here's hoping the rest of your day goes well. :wave:

Thank you for being kind even though we disagree strongly on the Scriptures on this matter.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The title question of the thread asks this question:

Do Christians need to belong to a church?

To answer this question: Well, actually the church are Christians. The church is a body of believers. Now, do Christians need to fellowship with other Christians? Yes, but we have to keep in mind that....

(a) We are living in the last days as per 2 Timothy 3:1-9
(So finding believers that actually fit close to the early church is extremely difficult).
(Most churches today are doing their own thing outside of what His Word (the Bible) says).

(b) Not every believer is capable of fellowshiping due to health, location, etc.​

The key is to pray to the Lord and ask for true genuine fellowship. The Lord is truly looking for followers in these last days, and finding believers who truly just want to follow the Bible alone and not add things to the Bible is exceptionally difficult but not impossible. If we appear to not run into any believers that are not following what the early church taught, said, and did: We have to serve Jesus even if there are no believers who appear to be obeying God's Word. We have to stay the course and keep the faith no matter what. We have to keep praying for genuine believers who want to uplift God's grace and live holy lives (according to the Bible and not what some church says or some men say).

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There could be extraordinary circumstances where a Christian shouldn't be expected to participate in a congregation, for a variety of reasons.

Some Christians, for instance, have lived as hermits, or they live in an area in which there are simply no suitable congregations.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0