• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured Do Christians need to belong to a church?

Discussion in 'Congregation-specific Ethics' started by Romans 8, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Romans 8

Romans 8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,078
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I've heard different views from, "Yes, there is no exception or excuse", to, "No, you are the church". Are there verses in the bible that dictate we must go? If we're Spirit filled and pray on our own, is that considered ok?

I'm not attempting to get out of going to a church. I currently attend one twice a week and two others now and then, but my lifestyle changes and so does my job. Also, sometimes I go through stages where I just don't want to be on a hectic schedule. What say you?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,441
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Your thread title and post seem to be asking different questions.

• List
  3. Romans 8

+1,078
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Not at all. I can't sound out the words for you ;)

What's so confusing?

4. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,441
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Do Christians need to belong to a church? - thread title

Are there verses in the bible that dictate we must go? - in post
    If we're Spirit filled and pray on our own, is that considered ok? - in post

"Belong to" and "go" are not the same thing. Then you ask whether being Spirit-filled and praying on our own is okay.

There are no Christians outside the church. Whether you are formally enrolled as a member of a parish or go to services is another question.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  5. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+2,588
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Born again Spirit filled believers are the called out ones and as Hebrews 10:25 says:

"And we should not be forsaking our meetings, as is the custom for each person, but plead with one another all the more, as long as you see that day drawing near."

We should assemble at the appointed times and daily fellowship is also excellent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Romans 8

+1,078
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The question is regarding the the brick and mortar, not body of Christ which we all belong to regardless.

There are a few questions in there but I don't think it's that difficult to understand.

7. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,125
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Without attending a Church one cannot participate in the sacraments. That begins with baptism. For a person to be "Spirit filled and pray on [his] own" can be found nowhere in the new testament.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Romans 8

+1,078
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Sorry, if the Christian has already been baptized, and Spirit filled at a church, can he relax a little on the attendance?

9. HTacianas

+4,125
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    There are monks and hermits who live solitary lives but who gather with others for confession. It's something a monk's spiritual father decides.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+7,753
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It is best to fellowship with other Christians if you can. If you're in a very difficult or dangerous situation, e.g. you are a hidden / invisible Christian in a predominantly Muslim society who still pretends to be at least nominally Muslim to stay safe, then fellowship may not be possible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  11. Romans 8

+1,078
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I'm not a monk or living a solitary life. I'm just looking for some insight here ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • List
  12. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+2,588
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Vows of solitary...like the vows of poverty?

13. HTacianas

+4,125
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I do not know if there is a vow to live a solitary life, only that some monks do.

• List
  14. Romans 8

+1,078
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Married
    How many times a week? This church I go to meets 2 or 3 times a week :eek:

I don't think I can keep that up. Originally I wanted to meet more than once a week, but after a couple of months I realize that it's not practical. I'm afraid I'm going to burn out and drop out all together if I try to keep this up. I got a couple text messages from the Pastor when I skipped sessions (for mostly legitimate reasons), but I don't really want that kind of pressure.

15. jacks

jacks Er Victus Supporter

+947
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Relax. :) Go when you can, if you can't the Lord understands.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • List
  16. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+22,047
    Anglican
    Married
    Yes, we should attend church. Whether that means every Sunday or that a formal membership is necessary is another matter, but the New Testament is clear about the coming together with other believers, so that a person who simply swears off such participation and considers himself to be a church until himself really is not taking a defensible position about this IMO.

It should also be said, though, that this does not mean such a person is denied salvation or is not a real Christian or anything along those lines. Still, if the question is asked if church attendance should be part of ones life, that has to be answered in the affirmative.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+7,753
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Sunday worship should be just fine. If you feel pressured, or feel like you're in danger of burning out, reel it back a little. It's ok to just do Sunday morning. And pray at home the rest of the week.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  18. Stranger36147

Stranger36147 Active Member

+333
    Other Religion
    Nice. I agree.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Romans 8

+1,078
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Thank you, I wanted to hear that. I have to pick up a puppy tomorrow morning so I don't really have much choice but to pull back the throttle for a while now anyway.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  20. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+11,092
    Christian
    Married