Do Christians Consider it a Lack of Faith to Put Trust into Doctors?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, (this is a poorly constructed question)

I have noticed that a tiny minority of Christians (I'm not trying to make a hasty generalization here) don't really trust their doctors. I have heard some stories (and ongoing stories) about people refusing to go to the doctor, trusting that God will heal them of their sickness (in a divine way). Moreover, I have been kinda worried about these people.

I'm no doctor yet (I'm not even a pre-med student yet). However, I just feel a bit worried about this minority group of Christians. But, I don't know if it is right for me to feel this way.

Do Christians consider it a lack of faith (in regards to God) to put trust into Doctors?
Your correct it is a very small minority. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,476.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't think you can bring forth a cookie cutter idea to use for all indivdials as in right to do what a doctor says or not...or seek God. Things can be a little bit more complex than a simple answer. There's variables.

Example....Doctor tells patient they've got something terminal...call it cancer. They need to go on chemo.

So what will it be divine healing alone without chemo or somebody can actually say they want to believe God will help the chemo work. They might do that to. Here's the thing though. I've known people that don't want to take chemo. Some say they'd just like to enjoy the last amount of time they've got left with no side effects so that can be a reasonable choice if that's how they want their life to play out right?

How can we say it's not. You might hear them say they're just going to trust God alone but that doesn't do away with the fact that they know there's a possibility they could die. Part of their decision of God alone might be because they don't want side effects. So is there decision wrong?

Point....some might say God alone without medicine or procedures but part of why they're saying that might not be to prove they have greater faith but for the reasons stipulated above. I'd never encourage anyone to take that position but I personally know of cases which refused a doctors advice not even Christians I might add that just didn't want side effects and they're alive 20 years later in good health too. Yes might be a bad decision for a reader here but I have heard it happening. At the end of the day people have to live with their choices but there could be things between the lines that you don't know totally why they're making them.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think you can bring forth a cookie cutter idea to use for all indivdials as in right to do what a doctor says or not...or seek God. Things can be a little bit more complex than a simple answer. There's variables.

Example....Doctor tells patient they've got something terminal...call it cancer. They need to go on chemo.

So what will it be divine healing alone without chemo or somebody can actually say they want to believe God will help the chemo work. They might do that to. Here's the thing though. I've known people that don't want to take chemo. Some say they'd just like to enjoy the last amount of time they've got left with no side effects so that can be a reasonable choice if that's how they want their life to play out right?

How can we say it's not. You might hear them say they're just going to trust God alone but that doesn't do away with the fact that they know there's a possibility they could die. Part of their decision of God alone might be because they don't want side effects. So is there decision wrong?

Point....some might say God alone without medicine or procedures but part of why they're saying that might not be to prove they have greater faith but for the reasons stipulated above. I'd never encourage anyone to take that position but I personally know of cases which refused a doctors advice not even Christians I might add that just didn't want side effects and they're alive 20 years later in good health too. Yes might be a bad decision for a reader here but I have heard it happening. At the end of the day people have to live with their choices but there could be things between the lines that you don't know totally why they're making them.
Someone went to a local hospital emergency room with a panic attack (rapid heart beat). They put an IV drip in his vein while he waited a couple of hours for it to pass. The bill was $14,000.

I went to a dentist after being away from a dentist for ten years. She reported about six cavities in my teeth. She filled two of them and pulled a tooth because she said it was abscessed. She had a difficult time pulling it out. I started to think it was not rotted at the root and she might be lying to me. I was supposed to return to her for work on four more cavities. I did not go back there for awhile. I went to another dentist with a chipped front tooth. I asked if he could find any cavities. He found one, but not four. He did a good job putting some new material where the broken front tooth was. The overlay has lasted years.

Trust should be earned. I do not assume all doctors are good.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,929.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as cancer is concerned, there are innumerable stories of folk who avoided cancer treatment and believed God, are now dead, while those who believed God and took the treatment and are now still alive.

There are also those who had cancer and sought prayer and are completely healed. (See post #87)

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,476.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Someone went to a local hospital emergency room with a panic attack (rapid heart beat). They put an IV drip in his vein while he waited a couple of hours for it to pass. The bill was $14,000.

Right and that stands as another possible example of why someone would say no to medical treatments or procedures. They might say I'm just going to trust God but all these other things about costs might have moved them to that decision too. One doesn't know the whole picture when they hear one state they're just going to trust God.

I did hear a case like this years ago. The doctors said they could do A, B and C but they said NOPE they were just going to trust God. They also said on the tape I heard something like "Here's the thing. If I do what they say I could die anyway and all that money would be gone. My way I've still got the money for my family to bury me and take care of other expenditures." Good news....this was one who actually did recover after prayer.

Point....don't anyone take this as an encouragement to not take medical advice. I have no belief what's actually right or wrong to do about these things. That's a decision that only each individual can make and there's a variety of reasons why they do or don't.

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have noticed that a tiny minority of Christians (I'm not trying to make a hasty generalization here) don't really trust their doctors. I have heard some stories (and ongoing stories) about people refusing to go to the doctor, trusting that God will heal them of their sickness (in a divine way). Moreover, I have been kinda worried about these people.

I'm no doctor yet (I'm not even a pre-med student yet). However, I just feel a bit worried about this minority group of Christians. But, I don't know if it is right for me to feel this way.

Do Christians consider it a lack of faith (in regards to God) to put trust into Doctors?

Yes it is considered a Lack of Faith in God to put trust in anyone, or anything outside of God. Although dangerous, it is still ok to put trust only in doctors, or in doctors first.....

Note that putting trust in God, only, does not mean that one never goes to a doctor or never listens to what their advice.

It is akin the using an alarm clock to get up in the morning. Do we trust in the the alarm clock for the ability to wake up every morning......or God? Do we thank the alarm clock for waiting us up....or God? Does the fact that we use the alarm clock to wait us up mean that we no longer put trust in God to wake us up? I think not.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yeah some of our brothers and sisters get some real whacky teachings. Luke was a physician and hung with the apostle of apostles. That should settle the issue for all believers!

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why pick on doctors? Do Christians trust electricians, carpenters, plumbers, engineers, auto repair shops, food stores, teachers, and all the other people who make our lives easier? If so, then why wouldn't they trust doctors?
I like it.

However, the bible does state that "By his stripes we are healed" and that healing is a sign that follows those that believe. Now if it stated anywhere that plumbing would also be unclogged and tires reinflated, I would totally agree that there is no reason to single out healers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is not just Christians. Functional medicine is on the rise because traditional medical grads are not always taught how to get to the underlying cause but only prescribe meds to treat symptoms.

RA runs in my family. When my own joints started to get inflamed I did my own reach. I discovered autoimmune diseases happen when the immune system is confused and attacks healthy cells. I saw the damage RA caused my mom and cousin. The meds prescribed were disease modifying but also killed healthy cells and still left tons of pain and joint damage. So I set out to reset my immune system which I learned was mostly in the gut. Fasting is highly medicinal for reseting our guts. I did a six day fast and then fed my gut good stuff. Slowly but surely my inflammation went away. It took time to heal my gut but I did. No more all night inflammation making me cry and scratch my knuckles. And no huge knuckles like my mom were and my cousin's are.

Also, I lost a baby potentially because of two different different antibiotics two different medical professionals prescribed me early in a pregnancy. One Dr. blamed the other. Come to find out UTI dont even require antibiotics. It was stupid I ever touched antibiotics early in a pregnancy but I trusted the professionals.

Seriously it is not just Christians who question the professionals these days.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Come to find out UTI dont even require antibiotics

I would be very careful with saying the above. That can be construed as giving medical advice.

Also, my ex-wife has frequent UTIs and only antibiotics clears them up, for her.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
For some Christians, yes. I'm talking about the Christians here who are very condescending towards science and label it as "wisdom of man", as a way to discredit any argument against their bad theological views.

Going to a doctor is logically ironic. Why go to a doctor for any reason, if you are about "keeping to the word of God" and hold this line as a trump card against any form of supported refutation against your arguments, then shouldn't you refrain from taking a person to a doctor because whatever the reason or outcome is, it's God's will and taking it to a doctor not only puts faith in the "wisdom of man" to cure the person, but also interfering with what God wants to happen.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right and that stands as another possible example of why someone would say no to medical treatments or procedures. They might say I'm just going to trust God but all these other things about costs might have moved them to that decision too. One doesn't know the whole picture when they hear one state they're just going to trust God.

I did hear a case like this years ago. The doctors said they could do A, B and C but they said NOPE they were just going to trust God. They also said on the tape I heard something like "Here's the thing. If I do what they say I could die anyway and all that money would be gone. My way I've still got the money for my family to bury me and take care of other expenditures." Good news....this was one who actually did recover after prayer.

Point....don't anyone take this as an encouragement to not take medical advice. I have no belief what's actually right or wrong to do about these things. That's a decision that only each individual can make and there's a variety of reasons why they do or don't.
Trust in God alone.

Here is an example of an outrageous hospital bill:
A baby was treated with a nap and a bottle of formula. His parents received an $18,000 bill.

Vox has another article about a patient who did not get beyond the waiting room and was charged $5,000.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The body of Christ is saved without any covenant.

The new covenant that was promised to Israel will grant them salvation from their sins in a future date when Christ returns for them (acts 3:19-21, romans 11:27).

But we have salvation from our sins the moment we believe 1 corinthians 15:1-4.

So you don't consider that Hebrews 8 applies to Christians?

I'm just trying to understand this new doctrine you're preaching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is considered a Lack of Faith in God to put trust in anyone, or anything outside of God. Although dangerous, it is still ok to put trust only in doctors, or in doctors first.....

Note that putting trust in God, only, does not mean that one never goes to a doctor or never listens to what their advice.

It is akin the using an alarm clock to get up in the morning. Do we trust in the the alarm clock for the ability to wake up every morning......or God? Do we thank the alarm clock for waiting us up....or God? Does the fact that we use the alarm clock to wait us up mean that we no longer put trust in God to wake us up? I think not.

I believe it's a blessing that God has created a world and written such consistent physical laws that engineers can devise and build a reliable alarm clock to wake me up in the morning.

It's a blessing that God has a world and written such consistent physical laws that doctors can diagnose an illness and conceive of a way to counter that illness.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have seen some divine healing occur, through prayer for others. This has given me faith in God's divine power. I always seek God "first", but if he does not heal then I go to the doctors. As an example I had skin cancer, when I found out I prayed about it, but when nothing changed I underwent an operation to have it removed, today I am healthy, thanks to the doctor's hands.

I believe Christians need to be balanced, to have faith in God, but still respect the medical profession, as an avenue for healing.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The majority of doctors are not worthy of total trust and that has nothing to do with faith and everything to do with the poor quality of doctors.
If I trusted every doctor I came across I would be in a very bad way, if I was even still alive.

As to the actual topic, not seeing a doctor because you trust God to heal you reminds me of the story of the man sitting on his roof in a flood. He waves away first the row boat, the speed boat and last of all the helicopter saying "Don't worry God will save me" The water rises and he dies and goes to heaven. He asks God why he didn't save him when his faith was so strong and God says I sent a row boat, a speed boat and a helicopter and you ignored all of them. I believe they are looking at medicine in the wrong light, I believe God gave us medicine. I wouldn't be here without it, or certainly not here cognitively capable of typing this without it. Does that mean I have to trust every infallible man who says they know what they are doing with it? No.

I think the best thing any person who wants to be a doctor can remember is they are not God. Actually listen to your patient and think a bit wider than your narrow textbook.

• Agree
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The majority of doctors are not worthy of total trust and that has nothing to do with faith and everything to do with the poor quality of doctors.
If I trusted every doctor I came across I would be in a very bad way, if I was even still alive.

As to the actual topic, not seeing a doctor because you trust God to heal you reminds me of the story of the man sitting on his roof in a flood. He waves away first the row boat, the speed boat and last of all the helicopter saying "Don't worry God will save me" The water rises and he dies and goes to heaven. He asks God why he didn't save him when his faith was so strong and God says I sent a row boat, a speed boat and a helicopter and you ignored all of them. I believe they are looking at medicine in the wrong light, I believe God gave us medicine. I wouldn't be here without it, or certainly not here cognitively capable of typing this without it. Does that mean I have to trust every infallible man who says they know what they are doing with it? No.

I think the best thing any person who wants to be a doctor can remember is they are not God. Actually listen to your patient and think a bit wider than your narrow textbook.
Over four years ago God led me to read a nutrition book by a vegan doctor named Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I started eating whole grains, vegetables and fruits. I lost weight, was healed of kidney stones and stopped taking Flomax prostate medication. At my most recent annual checkup, the doctor told me my prostate gland was no longer enlarged.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe it's a blessing that God has created a world and written such consistent physical laws that engineers can devise and build a reliable alarm clock to wake me up in the morning.

It's a blessing that God has a world and written such consistent physical laws that doctors can diagnose an illness and conceive of a way to counter that illness.
Amen,

The alarm clock does not give me life in the morning.....neither does that stitch or the one who put the stitch in, maketh my torn flesh mend back together and become whole again.... All Praise and trust belong to God....yet we do appreciate and show appreciation to and for every person and object He uses to accomplish His desire.

Upvote 0