Do Christians believe that Christianity is the only true religion?

Do Christians believe that Christianity is the only true religion?

• Yes, Christians believe that there is only 1 true religion, and it is Christianity.

• No, Christians believe that there are 2 equally correct religions, Judaism and Christianity.

• No, Christians believe that there are 3 equally correct religions: Islam, Judaism and Christianity.

• No, Christians believe that there are many equally correct religions, including Christianity.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Jews and Jesus all followed the True God. But by the nature of sin we are not connected in Spirit except by Faith. Even Jesus had to endure the difficulties of living a life of faith.

But people have created their own versions of the One True God. Those are the other religions you see.
As I thought. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Paul addressed that while in Athens.

29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.” Acts 17:29-31
That's what I was thinking, broadly. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to pose a question for all users. Does Christianity claim to be the one true religion?

This question is for Christians and non-Christians alike. It doesn't matter whether you believe that Christianity is true or not. If you could choose an option and vote in the poll, I'd be grateful.

(Edited to add)
If your answer is that yes, Christianity is the one, true religion, could you tell us why you think that? What do you mean by saying it is the "true" or "correct" religion? And if you vote for one of the no options, please could you let us know why? I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts.
I would say it is the one true religion. Jesus said He is the only way to salvation.

And another follow-up question: which is more important? Whether a religion is true or not, or whether it promotes goodness?
I would say whether it is true or not. If it is true then we know more about what is true or false. We can promote goodness without religion.

Thank you!
Your welcome!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They certainly did!

So then you can imagine that people would take up the Greek Gods and embrace that rather than Jesus submitting to His death for our benefit. Even the Jews hated that story. Were's the victory and conquering and gold plunder?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would say it is the one true religion. Jesus said He is the only way to salvation.

I would say whether it is true or not. If it is true then we know more about what is true or false. We can promote goodness without religion.

Your welcome!
Thanks very much, Clizby!
Perhaps you'd be interested in seeing what Magnanimity says? She seems quite convinced that all religions are equally valid. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, except that for some strange reason she thinks that most people in most religions agree with her. And she's a Catholic, at that!

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So then you can imagine that people would take up the Greek Gods and embrace that rather than Jesus submitting to His death for our benefit. Even the Jews hated that story. Were's the victory and conquering and gold plunder?
And after they'd been promised a King who would lead them to glory, too!
(Mind you, the Greek Gods rather predated Christianity).

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How would you feel about saying that there are many religions in the world, and that if you classify religion as "a particular system of faith and worship" then Christianity is one of them, but that Christianity is the only religion that allows a person to have a living relationship with God?

There are two forms of Christianity. There is the religion and there is the relationship. Not everyone who is in the religion has the relationship and not everyone with the relationship is in the religion (non denominational)

When someone who never really gives God much thought but goes to Easter service because "its the right thing to do" or because "I'm Anglican/Baptist/Catholic" simply because their parents were this label and a minister sprinkled them with water as a baby, this is the religion.
But when someone is just going about their day who thinks about God and talks to God about the small things and when what God says really matters to them and effects their day to day life, this is the relationship.
Some people are in the religion, some people are in the relationship and some people are in both.

• Agree
Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is huge disagreement on the subject of hell among Christians. Some think it's a literal burning fire, some think it's eternal and some temporary, some don't believe it exists at all. Don't blame me for that!

But for those who believe that there is a literal hell in which souls are punished, then how would you put that into an analogy in which God is a father to His children?

And what is this literal burning fire doing exactly? The point is, if you dont know, why draw conclusions?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There are two forms of Christianity. There is the religion and there is the relationship. Not everyone who is in the religion has the relationship and not everyone with the relationship is in the religion (non denominational)

When someone who never really gives God much thought but goes to Easter service because "its the right thing to do" or because "I'm Anglican/Baptist/Catholic" simply because their parents were this label and a minister sprinkled them with water as a baby, this is the religion.
But when someone is just going about their day who thinks about God and talks to God about the small things and when what God says really matters to them and effects their day to day life, this is the relationship.
Some people are in the religion, some people are in the relationship and some people are in both.
Is it possible to have a relationship with the Christian God and not be a Christian?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And what is this literal burning fire doing exactly? The point is, if you dont know, why draw conclusions?
Because Christians tell me so.
You realise, I'm an atheist and don't believe this is real, don't you?
Let's try this another way.
Do you believe in hell? If so, my job on these forums is to point out mistakes in your arguments. If not, we don't need to discuss it.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because Christians tell me so.
You realise, I'm an atheist and don't believe this is real, don't you?
Let's try this another way.
Do you believe in hell? If so, my job on these forums is to point out mistakes in your arguments. If not, we don't need to discuss it.

Of course I do, still, you may want to verify what the bible says since that is supposily where those Christians get it from.

We are all responsible for our own claims.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Of course I do, still, you may want to verify what the bible says since that is supposily where those Christians get it from.

We are all responsible for our own claims.
All the Christians who tell me different things about hell claim that their views are based on the Bible. There's a lot of stuff in that book, you know :)

So you do believe in hell? What do you think this hell is like, and why?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it possible to have a relationship with the Christian God and not be a Christian?

Since Jesus is God and the word Christian is from the Greek word Χριστιανός (Christianos), "follower of Christ" then no. If they have a relationship with God, they are having a relationship with Christ.
Perhaps they might not know that they are a Christian since really that is only a label. I would not say definitively that the Holy Spirit has never or could never come to some person in some remote place who has never heard of Jesus since I can't possibly know that.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
You say Christianity should not be about rules but say children need discipline? Your views seem inconsistent.
I'm a bit addle brained at present as I'm deeply concerned about a friend in hospital. I will try to clarify my statements.

Rules are indeed for children. God wants His people to be mature, not children. I had rules as a kid. I learned certain things were off limits and certain things were mandatory. As I grew up, a lot changed.

God looks at attitude of heart, not outward conformity to rules. Some people are bound by a rule that they must give 10% of their income to their church. I discovered that 10% is only a starting point, the minimum. I was proud of my 10%. But God said, "You can do better than that." I could and I did. I've never been better off financially.

For some people giving anything at all is a real stretch. God is fine with that. A billionaire won't miss a million or so and it will give him a tax credit. Someone struggling gives a few bucks and it hurts them. Guess which God deems more valuable?

God wants us to trust Him. The rulebook says don't murder people. Yet God told Abraham to sacrifice his son. And Abraham trusted God enough to comply. Trust is based on relationship. God called Abraham "Friend". I don't believe that there is anything better than to be known as God's friend. Abraham did not have a rulebook to follow. He did not need it. He knew God. And that's how God wants it to be with everyone.

• Agree
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I'd say that if you're comparing Christianity to a family, with God as the father, then a good analogy for help would be the father locking his children up in a cellar to be beaten would be a pretty good analogy. Would you do it any differently? Let us not forget, it was God who created hell, and who created and maintains the process by which people go there.
God created hell for the devil and his angels, not for humanity. God gave Adam possibly the easiest instruction ever. Don't eat the fruit of one tree, out of who knows how many? God also told Adam what would happen. The narrative does not say, "I will kill you"(God speaking). It says, "You will die"

Adam died spiritually. He existed, he could reason, choose and show emotion. But he was cut off from God. Adam and Eve hid themselves in fear.

People who reject Christ won't want to be in heaven. Everyone is born separated from God. God reached out to save people. Jesus did not come to condemn the world but to save it. It's as if God gives everyone a chance to make a fresh choice instead of being condemned out of hand. People seem intent on making God out to be the bad guy. Nothing could be further from the truth. If God was who people think He is, he would kill everyone who said a word against Him. That's Islam, not Christianity. You choose your destiny, heaven or hell. I'd go for heaven if I were you.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
People who reject Christ won't want to be in heaven.
This is untrue. I want to be in heaven, I just need good evidence that it exists.

Everyone is born separated from God.
Why is this? It is God's system that does this.

God reached out to save people. Jesus did not come to condemn the world but to save it. It's as if God gives everyone a chance to make a fresh choice instead of being condemned out of hand. People seem intent on making God out to be the bad guy. Nothing could be further from the truth. If God was who people think He is, he would kill everyone who said a word against Him. That's Islam, not Christianity.
God creates the problem under His system and then provides His cure. Love and follow me or else I will torture you at worst or have nothing to do with you at best.

You choose your destiny, heaven or hell. I'd go for heaven if I were you.
Why should I choose heaven?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
People who reject Christ won't want to be in heaven.
Speaking as someone who "rejected Christ", I have to say...
Wait. Hang on a moment. Who told you I rejected Christ? That's a really loaded and unfair way to describe it. I've never even met Christ. I seriously, honestly, cross-my-heart do not even believe God or His Son exist.
So if you describe a person who honestly and sincerely doesn't believe in God as "rejecting" Him, you are playing with words in an unfair way. That is NOT what the word "reject" means. It's a lawyerly trick. It's practically entrapment.

Anyway. Back on track.
As someone who "rejected" Christ, let me tell you: I would want to be in Heaven. If Heaven is, as you say, a wonderful place, and especially if Hell is the only alternative - of course I want to to be in Heaven!
It makes you really wonder - how stupid do Christians think we are? Do they really imagine we see and know this choice and choose to deny it?

Of course not. The truth is, Christians must assume it is our fault. They must say nonsense like "You wouldn't like it in Heaven," or "You chose to go to hell," because if there really is a God, then people who honestly and sincerely disbelieve in Him do not deserve to be punished.
But, as Christians, you cannot admit this. Hence, the tortured "stop hitting yourself!" logic of the playground.

People seem intent on making God out to be the bad guy. Nothing could be further from the truth. If God was who people think He is, he would kill everyone who said a word against Him.
Like those forty-two kids?
Like drowning the whole world?
Like the pillar of salt?
Like them, you mean?

You choose your destiny, heaven or hell. I'd go for heaven if I were you.
So simple, is it?
Okay. I choose to go to heaven, if it exists.
What's that? The choice doesn't count unless I actually become a Christian? Can't I just wait until I die and have proof that Heaven, Hell and God actually exist, and then choose between them? No? It's too late after you're dead?

What a surprise.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All the Christians who tell me different things about hell claim that their views are based on the Bible. There's a lot of stuff in that book, you know :)

So you do believe in hell? What do you think this hell is like, and why?

Of course I belive in hell, but I think I already indicated it seems to me, the bible is sketchy on the subject, and maybe by design.

Upvote 0