Do Christians believe in guardian angels?

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is guardian angels something that Christians believe in and have experience of?
Is it biblical?

I believe they exist. I had a large block of cement fall off a freeway bridge that was large enough to crush my car. It hit the top of my car and stayed there. It was determined to weigh three tons and left a dent the size of a bird bath. I think the Guardian Angel was in the car holding up the roof.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Psalm 91:11

New International Version
For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;

New Living Translation
For he will order his angels to protect you wherever you go.

English Standard Version
For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.

Berean Study Bible
For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.

New American Standard Bible
For He will give His angels charge concerning you, To guard you in all your ways.

New King James Version
For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways.

King James Bible
For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

Christian Standard Bible
For he will give his angels orders concerning you, to protect you in all your ways.

Contemporary English Version
God will command his angels to protect you wherever you go.

Good News Translation
God will put his angels in charge of you to protect you wherever you go.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
For He will give His angels orders concerning you, to protect you in all your ways.

International Standard Version
for he will command his angels to protect you in all your ways.

NET Bible
For he will order his angels to protect you in all you do.

New Heart English Bible
For he will put his angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.

A Faithful Version
For He shall give His angels charge over you to keep you in all your ways.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
For he will command his Angels concerning you, to keep you in all your ways

GOD'S WORD® Translation
He will put his angels in charge of you to protect you in all your ways.

JPS Tanakh 1917
For He will give His angels charge over thee, To keep thee in all thy ways.

New American Standard 1977
For He will give His angels charge concerning you, To guard you in all your ways.

King James 2000 Bible
For he shall give his angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways.

American King James Version
For he shall give his angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways.

American Standard Version
For he will give his angels charge over thee, To keep thee in all thy ways.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
For he shall give his angels charge concerning thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

Douay-Rheims Bible
For he hath given his angels charge over thee; to keep thee in all thy ways.

Darby Bible Translation
For he shall give his angels charge concerning thee, to keep thee in all thy ways:

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
For he will put his angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.

Young's Literal Translation
For His messengers He chargeth for thee, To keep thee in all thy ways,

Psalm 91:11 For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.

In NT this text is applied to Jesus.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it biblical?

There is some evidence that children may have particular angels 'assigned' to them, depending on how one interprets Matthew 18:10: "See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven."

Whether adults have "assigned" angels or not, I have no idea. The notion that God's angels minister to and protect and guide people is completely Biblical. Some people believe that the phrase "the angel of the Lord" (singular) is speaking about the Holy Spirit rather than what we'd normally think of as "an angel". But even if you believe that, there are many other Scriptures referencing angels (plural) working for us on God's behalf.

Genesis 32:1 Jacob also went on his way, and the angels of God met him.

Genesis 19:15 With the coming of dawn, the angels urged Lot, saying, “Hurry! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away when the city is punished.”

Psalm 91:11 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.

Matthew 13:49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous.

Hebrews 13:2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus answered the question, “Do we have guardian angels?” in Matthew 18:10. "See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of My Father who is in heaven.” Do We Have Guardian Angels? Evidence in the Bible

"
This question has been asked for a long time in Christian history. The idea that each believer has an angel to guard them, and a demon to tempt them, arose in early extrabiblical writings. For example, the Shepherd of Hermas teaches that each person has two angels, one good and one evil, and gives instruction on how to tell the difference. The Epistle to Barnabas describes God’s angels as protectors of the way of light, and Satan’s angels as guardians of the way of darkness. Probably the most historically significant early writer on this issue, Origen, writes in his First Principles that “every human soul is put in subjection to some angel.”

Similar views were espoused by Basil of Caesarea and Gregory the Great and the medieval theologians and the reformers (though less so). One explanation for the pervasive belief in guardian angels is that many thoughtful Christians have espoused such a belief for a long time."
Does Every Christian Have a Guardian Angel?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Traditionally, yes.

Is it biblical?

Probably, for example we read in the Gospel of Matthew,

"See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 18:10

This has historically been understood to refer to children's guardian angels.

Whether what the biblical authors mean is that God's angels watch over us in a more general sense, or that God assigns specific angels to people is open to interpretation and debate.

While I believe in "guardian angels", it's not a subject I spend much time thinking about--in part because I am cautious about devoting too much attention to the subject of angelology.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Is it biblical?
Angels are real enough and I've been helped myself. I'm not so sure about guardian angels. I had one as a child but it was an evil angel/demon courtesy of my occult relatives. I suffered terribly as a result.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is some evidence that children may have particular angels 'assigned' to them, depending on how one interprets Matthew 18:10: "See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven."
I suppose they could be making intercession for us.

And I can see God can assign angels to people for special operations. I might have only one angel while I am sleeping. Maybe a few would be around while I am riding my bike somewhere. While I am doing things with others, there could be angels with us, specializing . . . dealing with demons and physical events.

And Hebrews 1:13-14 says angels minister salvation, I understand. So, I see they can minister grace which changes us to become like Jesus so we are ready to spend eternity with our Groom Jesus. So, this would not be only guarding us.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"For He will give His angels [especial] charge over you to accompany and defend and preserve you in all your ways [of obedience and service]." Psa 91:11

But they don't make us behave in certain ways.. We still have free will.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Regarding angles or spiritual beings Paul gave us a very good picture of the spiritural realm.
Ephesians 6:12 (NIV) For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

What he is talking about is the angles of Satan verses the angles of God. If we weren't protected by God's angles we as followers of Christ would be destroyed by the evil spiritual powers. The story of Job is a good example of what can happen to us if God's protective hand is removed, but it also is a tremendous example of God rewarding Job's faithfulness and trust in God.

So yes, we definitely have guardian angles. Have you ever had an experience where you had a very strong feeling, sometimes referred to as "gut feelings", that you should do or not do something you were planning? If so they may very well have been an angle attempting to help you make the right decision. I do believe angles have also protected people from physical harm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Is it always easy to tell if you are being guided by good forces or bad forces?
How do you know?

I think that question is pretty obvious. If you are being led to do something you know or believe is wrong, then obviously that didn't come from God.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
I think that question is pretty obvious. If you are being led to do something you know or believe is wrong, then obviously that didn't come from God.
Well.... it might not always be obvious... what about when Abraham was asked by God to sacrifice his son? He didn't have to do it in the end, but he knew the instruction came from God.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Obviously Abraham trusted God, remember he told his son God would provide the sacrifice, he had complete trust in God. Here again we are diving into Old Testament stories, and moving away from the new covenant. Jesus came to correct what was wrong with the old covenant, and he did. I could write a book on things I see as problematic in the Old Testament, doesn't change who Christ is, and what he has given all of us who chose to follow his teachings. What we do have in the Old Testament is a clear path leading to Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Here again we are diving into Old Testament stories, and moving away from the new covenant.
Old or New covenant, the question is about discerning good v evil guidance...
How did Abraham know he wasn't being guided by an evil spirit masquerading as God? What God was asking him to do wasn't obviously good... there must be more to discerning true guidance?

(Was the old covenant wrong, or was man wrong? Does God make mistakes?)

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Old or New covenant, the question is about discerning good v evil guidance...
How did Abraham know he wasn't being guided by an evil spirit masquerading as God?

Very good question, you first must understand that God does communicate with us through the Holy Spirit. The longer you walk with the Holy Spirit he becomes such a part of you that you know his guidance and correction and it can't be subverted. I compare it to knowing someone that you are very close to, if my wife calls me I immediately recognize her voice. The Holy Spirit doesn't speak to you audibly, but through your spirit, sometimes just your gut feelings, but once you know him there is no mistaking.
Obviously Abraham had that kind of relationship with God.

Upvote 0