Do Christians accept all Christians?

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
OK. Let's say that a Christian preaches on the street about God, Jesus, and the Bible, and let's say that a random person actually walks to the Christian and tells the Christian that he/she "believes". The Christian preacher in this story is a non-denominational evangelical Christian. The Christian convert in this story lives near two churches - a Roman Catholic Church and an Orthodox Jewish synagogue. Since the convert is sure that he/she is a Christian and not a Jew-by-choice, he/she would presumably visit the Catholic church, because (1) he/she is a new Christian and (2) he/she wants to be baptized as all Christians do. So, he/she goes through the process of converting to Roman Catholicism and --ding-- becomes a member of the Roman Catholic Church. Now, if the evangelical Christian preacher finds out that the random person in this story is a Roman Catholic instead of affiliated with whatever Protestant church the preacher belongs to, will the preacher still accept that the Roman Catholic is a Christian, or would he regard the evangelism a failure because the random-guy-in-this-story does not join the preacher's church?

E

Episcoboi

OK. Let's say that a Christian preaches on the street about God, Jesus, and the Bible, and let's say that a random person actually walks to the Christian and tells the Christian that he/she "believes". The Christian preacher in this story is a non-denominational evangelical Christian. The Christian convert in this story lives near two churches - a Roman Catholic Church and an Orthodox Jewish synagogue. Since the convert is sure that he/she is a Christian and not a Jew-by-choice, he/she would presumably visit the Catholic church, because (1) he/she is a new Christian and (2) he/she wants to be baptized as all Christians do. So, he/she goes through the process of converting to Roman Catholicism and --ding-- becomes a member of the Roman Catholic Church. Now, if the evangelical Christian preacher finds out that the random person in this story is a Roman Catholic instead of affiliated with whatever Protestant church the preacher belongs to, will the preacher still accept that the Roman Catholic is a Christian, or would he regard the evangelism a failure because the random-guy-in-this-story does not join the preacher's church?

Sadly this is one of the by-products of our sinful human community. We are divided. Some will accept others as Christian. Some will not. We have to be honest that the church is very divided. :(

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

MY DEAR FRIEND,

Reading in Luke last night i was struck by Luke 11:17-18: "Every kingdom divided against itself is headed for destruction, and a house divided against itself falls. If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand?"

The thought struck me that if Satan's kingdom was divided against itself and headed for destruction, would not the same principle pertain the God's Kingdom?

As any atheist can tell you, Christianity is divided into literally hundreds, perhaps thousand of denominations, sects, cults, communions, fellowships, etc., all squabbling over beliefs, words, meanings, translations, requirements, do's and don'ts, liturgies, hierarchical power structures, calendars, Holy Days, and much, much, more.

Looking at church history--from the Great Schism of 1054 during which Christ's One Body was cut in two, through the Protestant Reformation in which that Body was shredded into hundreds of body parts, up to the present in which Christianity has been so watered down and fragmented that it is left as little more than Sunday morning (or perhaps Saturday morning, as the case may be) entertainment, emasculated, powerless, and the laughing stock of devils and a source of tears to the Saints, not to mention Abba, His Son, and His Holy Spirit--it becomes obvious that God's Church has become a human-operated institution governed by the thoughts, feelings, and whims of self-righteous, egocentric sinful men.

Should we not, assuming that we are TRUE Christians--i.e.,Jesus' disciples--perhaps, stop our learned debates as to "Why the Kingdom hasn't arrived yet"--(even God's written Word, the Bible indicates that Paul and others though the Kingdom would arrive in their lifetime)--and surrender ourselves--our time, talents, and riches--COMPLETELY to God in all spiritual matters revolving around the building up of the ONE BODY of Christ into the glorious and flawless Kingdom Scriptures picture, allowing Him the opportunity to put all the pieces of the Church-puzzle in their proper places so that our Prayer (recited mostly by rote, unfortunately) "THY KINGDOM COME, THY WILL BE DONE" will become a reality at last, after a 2000 year delay?

ABBA'S SLAVE,
ephraim

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We would.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Christians accept all Christians. However, some have a different definition of what a Christian is than others do. With a subjective definition, the boundaries of what is and is not acceptable are all over the place.

The question is whether there is an objective method to determine who is a Christian. I believe a starting point is a knowledge of God as Father, Son, and Spirit, belief in Jesus' work on the cross, and baptism. Ultimately, we can speculate as to who is and is not Christian but we do not see the Book of Life and cannot know with certainty who is wheat and who is tares. We must be optimistic and observe the fruit of another's faith and make a judgment whether we want to be in fellowship with them or not.

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Christians accept all Christians. However, some have a different definition of what a Christian is than others do. With a subjective definition, the boundaries of what is and is not acceptable are all over the place.

The question is whether there is an objective method to determine who is a Christian. I believe a starting point is a knowledge of God as Father, Son, and Spirit, belief in Jesus' work on the cross, and baptism. Ultimately, we can speculate as to who is and is not Christian but we do not see the Book of Life and cannot know with certainty who is wheat and who is tares. We must be optimistic and observe the fruit of another's faith and make a judgment whether we want to be in fellowship with them or not.

How about making fellowships/relationships/friendships with all self-identified Christians and non-Christians instead of just "make a judgment whether we want to be in fellowship with them or not"?

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yep, we just have to look at their fruit to tell who's a Christian... The Bible plainly tells us that! (Matthew 7)

Oops! Or.... DOES it? Hummm... upon closer reading, I see maybe it said, instead, that "love" would be the give-away sign. (John 13:35)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do Christians accept all Christians?

Did the early Christians accept all the other churches and their varied beliefs? No, neither did Apostle Paul, nor should you. However, Apostle Paul reminded us to respect these other brothers and sisters in God's salvation family. I do, do you?

The problem today is that people don't have faith. Remember Jesus asking when he came back would he find faith on the Earth. He was talking about us, Christians! Remember Apostle Paul, saying:

Romans 14:4
American Standard Version (ASV)

4 Who art thou that judgest the servant of another? to his own lord he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be made to stand; for the Lord hath power to make him stand.

Shouldn't we have faith in God's ability to save those who serve and trust him (not their theologies, but the author of their faith)?

Ask God the very tough questions and he will give you your answers. Have faith my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ask God the very tough questions and he will give you your answers. Have faith my brothers and sisters in Christ.

That means you have to be dead in order to meet God and ask God the very tough questions and he will give your answers, right? The only way to meet God would be after death. :D

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Generally speaking the vast majority of Christians embrace as Christian all who confess the basic tenets of the faith as summarized in the Nicene Creed.

There are certainly exceptions, but as a general rule we're pretty willing to embrace as brothers and sisters those who share in the basic summary of faith. The fact that Christians can more freely discuss with one another, and that we have increasingly become more interested in joint efforts and ecumenical activity many of the nastier language of the last couple hundred years is falling to the wayside as it's clear that such behavior is never what our Lord Jesus wanted for us.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That means you have to be dead in order to meet God and ask God the very tough questions and he will give your answers, right? The only way to meet God would be after death. :D

Why do people give well to others who may only then turn on them, because that is our job to give. Your answers from God to your sincere heart are given while you live. It's up to you to ask him the questions.

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Why do people give well to others who may only then turn on them, because that is our job to give. Your answers from God to your sincere heart are given while you live. It's up to you to ask him the questions.

So... how exactly do you "ask" the questions? Can you please specify? I think you are assuming that God is real and literally exists. Are you?

Upvote 0

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So... how exactly do you "ask" the questions? Can you please specify? I think you are assuming that God is real and literally exists. Are you?

Yes, God is real and has always existed. Man may have hoped for such a God as he (caring Father), but they aren't able to fabricate him.

How do you ask questions: very honestly and sincerely with patience! Why would you want to ask someone whom you don't believe in anything? Yet, if there is belief in God, then just remember that he will open the doors that you knock on. He has for me. Ask him to help you, when you aren't deserving and an evil person at a bad time in your life, and yet he will help you and answer you.

How do you ask? How do you pray; out loud, quietly, in a closet, on a hillside, in the woods, with others, in the flash of a second before a crash, or however sincerity moves you towards him!

Did you ever wonder why so many varied types of people believe in God & Christ? They still do in this modern age and will for how ever long the world last. They have evidence in their lives and hearts to the answerings of prayers & questions to him. Man doesn't deserve God, but many do call out for him and his help. So faith continues always as before. It doesn't die out because it works, is real and we do have a Father in Heaven.

How do I ask God anything? In private singing, in prayer, in a group with others, out loud by myself or quietly in my heart. I believe that he hears me or others. I don't comprehend his abilities in hearing millions or even more at the same time, but then I am not God, just a simple minded creature, a human being. I hope that I have answered you questions.

Upvote 0

Joshua260

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
✟9,504.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, Willie T, I agree:
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]35[/FONT] By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. John 13:34-35 (KJV)

But another verse comes to mind from Paul:
And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]2[/FONT] For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
1 Cor 2:1-2 (KJV)

I think these two versus unite us as Christians. Wait...just thought of another...

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: [FONT='Verdana', 'Arial', 'Helvetica', sans-serif]3[/FONT] And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: 1 John 4:2-3 (KJV)

So my answer is yes, I would accept him as my brother!

Upvote 0