Do Catholics vote for Catholic candidates?

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It comes to my mind Beto O'Rourke who is a Catholic and is running for Senator for Texas. Would you vote for him just because of his belief?
I'll vote for a Catholic candidate if they agree with the fundamentals of Catholic teaching.

• Agree
Reactions: The Grouch
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If a candidate's beliefs are sincere (they're not a "cafeteria Catholic"), then I could vote for them. I'm not going to give them my vote immediately, though. They still have to earn it.
Cafeteria Catholic? Does that mean they go to Mass for Coffee?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Frankly, I'm sticking with Ted in the Texas race.
It's complicated. O'Rouke seems like a nice guy and Cruz kind of has a bad reputation so I see why a lot of people like Beto. Do you know what's their stance on abortion?

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Cafeteria Catholic? Does that mean they go to Mass for Coffee?
If only.

It means that someone picks and chooses which teachings to follow. Maybe they like charity, but maybe they don't submit to the Church's moral teachings on abortion, for example.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
It's complicated. O'Rouke seems like a nice guy and Cruz kind of has a bad reputation so I see why a lot of people like Beto. Do you know what's their stance on abortion?
I know that Cruz is strongly against it- I honestly know next to nothing about Beto. Cruz is great in the senate, and that's why I'm sticking with him.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Decades ago, I read in some political book that a Catholic candidate usually gained about an extra 5% points from Catholic voters, just for being a Catholic. I would imagine that said 5% figure has now dropped in this day and age to maybe a one or two point gain?

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If O'Rourke was ever truly a Catholic, he is an apostate now. His beliefs put him outside the Church. I would vote for somebody because of their beliefs, but not just somebody who claims to be Catholic. If somebody says they are Catholic and their beliefs and actions back that up, then I would support them.

• Agree
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If O'Rourke was ever truly a Catholic, he is an apostate now. His beliefs put him outside the Church. I would vote for somebody because of their beliefs, but not just somebody who claims to be Catholic. If somebody says they are Catholic and their beliefs and actions back that up, then I would support them.
How does he put his beliefs outside the Church?

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How does he put his beliefs outside the Church?
His beliefs put him outside the Church, which means he believes things that faithful Catholics are not allowed to believe, particularly on abortion.

• Informative
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Decades ago, I read in some political book that a Catholic candidate usually gained about an extra 5% points from Catholic voters, just for being a Catholic. I would imagine that said 5% figure has now dropped in this day and age to maybe a one or two point gain?
Decades ago a Catholic candidate would get a 5% deduction from anti-Catholic voters. Kennedy got elected only by promising to be a bad Catholic. Al Smith would have been a wonderful president, but he was Catholic, so the country lost out.

• Agree
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
His beliefs put him outside the Church, which means he believes things that faithful Catholics are not allowed to believe, particularly on abortion.
I am going to comment since on the social issues I have a lot in common with Catholics and yes I do tend to vote for good practicing Catholics at the polls.

I have read enough Catholic material to know that a politician that persistently promotes abortion can be denied the Eucharist. The Second Vatican Council defined abortion, along with infanticide, as an unspeakable crime.

That being said. If the politician were a good Catholic, I would vote for him. He he were a bad Catholic then no.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It comes to my mind Beto O'Rourke who is a Catholic and is running for Senator for Texas. Would you vote for him just because of his belief?
No. And this isn't theoretical since I'll have the chance to vote for him in a few weeks.

That leaves me no choice but to vote for sigh Ted Cruz.

I was originally planning not to vote in the senate election at all. But better that the winner be Cruz than O'Rourke... though not by much.

There aren't very many Catholic candidates who deserve my vote, tbh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No. And this isn't theoretical since I'll have the chance to vote for him in a few weeks.

That leaves me no choice but to vote for sigh Ted Cruz.

I was originally planning not to vote in the senate election at all. But better that the winner be Cruz than O'Rourke... though not by much.

There aren't very many Catholic candidates who deserve my vote, tbh.
Why don't you like him?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why don't you like him?
If you mean Cruz, it's a long story. But his behavior in 2016 showed me what a [imagine something unsavory here because CF's rules are neurotic] he truly is.

If you mean O'Rourke, his support for abortion should be disqualifying for any Catholic's vote. It won't be because Catholics don't actually obey their Church in a lot of cases. But it should be.

• Agree
Upvote 0