Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
from Guest blogger Paul Thigpen. Paul Thigpen PhD. is an editor at TAN books and the author of hundreds of article and dozens of books on the Catholic faith. His book of prophetic prophecy–The Burden– is a powerful pointer to the perilous times we live in with a passionate call to repentance. Learn more about The Burden here.

GHOSTS AND CATHOLIC FAITH

When I used to edit the national magazine called THE CATHOLIC ANSWER, this time of year, with the approach of Halloween, we always received the same question from our readers: What about ghosts? Do they fit into Catholic belief?

Some may quickly scoff at the idea as fanciful or superstitious. But belief in ghosts seems to have been universal across human cultures from the beginning of recorded history, and it’s based at least in part on countless reports that the living have in fact encountered them. Given the special significance that genuine ghostly phenomena would have for theology, Catholics should not so easily dismiss the possibility.

Do Ghosts Exist?

Our first task is to address the fundamental issue here: Do ghosts in fact exist? To answer that question we must define “ghost.”

According to Webster’s, the word means “the soul of a dead person, a disembodied spirit.” That seems to fit best the popular use of the term, so we’ll accept it as a working definition. We should keep in mind, then, that in the present discussion, “ghost” does not refer to an angel or demon, a poltergeist or even an extraterrestrial. Rather, it’s that part of a human being which is not corporeal (bodily), and which has been separated from the body through death.

With this definition, Catholics should readily affirm that ghosts do indeed exist. After all, it’s a fundamental part of Catholic belief that the human being is a union of soul and body; that at death, the soul and body are separated; and that after death, though the body usually decays, the soul survives, awaiting the Last Judgment, when the body will at last be raised and reunited with the soul.

From a Catholic perspective, then, not only the souls in hell and purgatory, but also the saints in heaven can be called ghosts (with the exception of Our Lady, who is not a disembodied spirit because her body was assumed with her soul into heaven). The question for Catholics, then, is not whether ghosts truly exist. They do. The more pressing question is whether disembodied human souls, in the present time before the Last Judgment, are able to manifest themselves to those still alive on earth.

Evidence From Scripture

Continued below.
Do Catholics Believe in Ghosts?

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,093.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've told this story before, so it's a rehash, and a bit long to go into all the details.

My old Presbyterian Pastor once said to me "I think you'll be doing a cleaning job for a short time. You won't like it much, and you won't be doing it for long, but I think the Lord will just want you to hear about a ghost." He also indicated he thought I'd seen this ghost before.

He said that circa 1990/91 as he died himself in 1992.

Fast forward to 2006, and I did a cleaning job for a short time (about four months), didn't like it much, and "heard about a ghost". It was the suicide of a former manager of an old store in a town called Ipswich. The young chap who showed me the cleaning run was scared of it, and said that one night ALL the stock on one complete set of shelves just jumped up and landed on the floor.

On other occasions he could push a very heavy buffer with his little finger. Something was pushing it with him. But I used to get positive vibes, and never felt threatened.

I don't think the story is over yet, since a young priest on his first appointment was one of my first points of contact in order to get a mass said for the suicide. He's now at a university in Rome (he had to learn Italian as part of the process), but the latest rumour I heard from his father is that he might become the spiritual director of our local seminary. So that's one interesting connection between a ghost and the priest who organised the mass for him, in line with the pastor's original prediction.

If "The LORD wanted me to hear about a ghost", then there'll be a reason for it.

As for the ghost himself, it may simply have been that he needed a priest to say a mass on his behalf. I suspect he was doing his purgatory in that store (he committed suicide sometime back in the 1960's). That would probably have included a period underwater in the 1974 floods.

The other thing is that God's not in a hurry to make the reason clear. In line with the business of "seeing this ghost" before, I think that was around 1970, when my father and I were driving home from a camping trip, and drove through Ipswich. A bloke I saw standing on the side of the road wiht a briefcase turned and walked into a building. The trouble was the door was closed.

So the sequence of events was as follows -

1. 1970 - I saw the "ghost" for the first time when he walked through the door, as we were driving past.
2. circa 1990 - The pastor made the prediction.
3. 2006 - I did the cleaning job for a short time, didn't like it much, and heard about a ghost.
4. 2010 - I saw an Australian priest on Catholic Answers Forums (only Australian priest I'd seen on that forum) who just happened to be located at the very same Ipswich parish as the old store on his first assignment, and to whom I sent an email, requesting a mass to be said for the ghost. There were around 1300 Catholic parishes in Australia at that time. Somewhat unlikely odds.
5. 2015 - The same priest was now located at a Catholic Church about 600 metres from the same Presbyterian Church where the pastor made the original prediction. I sent him another email reminding him of the 'ghostly' mass, only to find out he had attended the same Catholic Church I was then attending before he went to seminary. His reply email started "Just to raise the spookiness level another notch...".
6. 2017 - I found myself sharing the Bible reading roster with the priest's family at the church I go to.
7. 2020 - Talking to his father, he told me it seemed he might become the spiritual director at the local seminary.

That's 50 years and counting. God's sure not in a hurry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0