Do Baptist believe they can hear God today immediately, or only through scripture?

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes and your point? We are not the early church now. They have passed and gone to be with the Lord, and that scripture thats been written and been handed down and is now the new testament is precious to all believers that came after.

God hasnt left us without His Word!

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes and your point? We are not the early church now. They have passed and gone to be with the Lord, and that scripture thats been written and been handed down and is now the new testament is precious to all believers that came after.

Couldn't agree more. As the scriptures say "heaven and earth will pass away, but my word will never pass away. Therefore what is relevant to the New Testament Church is relevant to the current church.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Couldn't agree more. As the scriptures say "heaven and earth will pass away, but my word will never pass away." Therefore what is relevant to the New Testament Church is relevant to the current church.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Couldn't agree more. As the scriptures say "heaven and earth will pass away, but my word will never pass away." Therefore what is relevant to the New Testament Church is relevant to the current church.

Upvote 0

Beaker

Jan 31, 2008
South Western Ontario
✟32,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hello all and God bless,

It has come to my attention over the years that many seem to say they have never heard God at any time and that they cannot hear God speak today. They say God only speaks through the scriptures.

Is this the case with Baptist?

Do you believe you can hear God speak today apart from the scriptures? Though we know that God speaks through scripture as we are given understanding of them by Jesus. The Holy scriptures are vital and they were given by the inspiration of God. But no man can know the scriptures unless they are taught by God through the Spirit.

The bible says

"7 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, 8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation i

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Though not a Baptist when this happened, I don't actually believe that God choses who HE will speak to because of their domination. Refer to my post "God still speaks to us" from May 22 2016

I don't think it is a case of God choosing someone according to his denomination.

I happen to believe that God is a gentleman and as has been said, "if you don't want revival you won't get a revival."

There are some denominations that won't have a bar of the supernatural so it would be very difficult for someone in that denomination to be used in the supernatural.

Generally speaking, as a Baptist that was, you will not find too many of their churches where the supernatural is acknowledged and those that do, do so in a very limited capacity.

In England, I was part of a charismatic brethren for 10 years where the gifts of the spirit were evident in every meeting as that was the character and nature of the church.

It was very easy for God to invade the meeting with the supernatural and he did regularly.

So, the church you are in does dictate whether God can use you in the supernatural. I actually did try and introduce the concept of the supernatural in one Baptist church I was in by describing situations where God had used me in the supernatural. After that, the leadership went out of its way to make life difficult for me.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
God certainly does speak to us. I was in church in 2009 and the preacher was speaking and it was like a cone of silence came around me and I heard the voice of the Holy Spirit. It was not audible to anyone else but to me it was like a megaphone. I couldn't hear anything else. I thought many times about this and when I hear my own voice in my head, it sounds like me speaking, with my intonation and dialect. Two hours went by before I could mutter a sound, and I burst out in tears standing in like at Picadilly waiting to order food. I had grown up believing this was not possible since the "perfect" was taught to be the completion of Scripture but now I am certain that Paul meant the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Finally I told my wife and son what had happened. It only lasted for 10 seconds maximum. Everything I heard was directly from the bible, but I am here to tell everyone that it was a message directed at me that went deep into my bones and my soul leap for joy like nothing I've experienced ever before or in the 8 years since it happened. I now believe I was given the gift of faith. I had been saved around age 23 and this happened when I was 46. But I had never been baptised, and was frankly embarrassed and had this not happened I doubt I would ever have done it, but I jumped in that water in front of 500 people including almost every relative I have from my wife's family and my own. So yes, God spoke to me, and it changed my life and the lives of many others who I've witnessed to in the years since. So no human being is ever going to be able to convince me it didn't happen or couldn't happen because someone thinks Paul meant the "Perfect" was the completion of Scripture. I now firmly believe it refers to the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and all the gifts of the Spirit still exist, though not at the scale that occurred during the ministry of the Lord, for that was a very special time marked by many miracles including the raising of Lazarus and continued with the Apostles. I've also heard of Baptists who have encountered disembodied demons as well as my father in law who is a Baptist Deacon and head of the music ministry of a church who actually witnessed a real life exorcism. So if Satan has that kind of power to attack believers, why in the world would anyone try to say that God cannot do the same through the Holy Spirit based on words given to Him by the Lord Jesus Christ?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Beaker
Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
God certainly does speak to us. I was in church in 2009 and the preacher was speaking and it was like a cone of silence came around me and I heard the voice of the Holy Spirit. It was not audible to anyone else but to me it was like a megaphone. I couldn't hear anything else.

I thought many times about this and when I hear my own voice in my head, it sounds like me speaking, with my intonation and dialect. Two hours went by before I could mutter a sound, and I burst out in tears standing in like at Picadilly waiting to order food.

I had grown up believing this was not possible since the "perfect" was taught to be the completion of Scripture but now I am certain that Paul meant the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Finally I told my wife and son what had happened. It only lasted for 10 seconds maximum. Everything I heard was directly from the bible, but I am here to tell everyone that it was a message directed at me that went deep into my bones and my soul leap for joy like nothing I've experienced ever before or in the 8 years since it happened. I now believe I was given the gift of faith.

I had been saved around age 23 and this happened when I was 46. But I had never been baptised, and was frankly embarrassed and had this not happened I doubt I would ever have done it, but I jumped in that water in front of 500 people including almost every relative I have from my wife's family and my own.

So yes, God spoke to me, and it changed my life and the lives of many others who I've witnessed to in the years since. So no human being is ever going to be able to convince me it didn't happen or couldn't happen because someone thinks Paul meant the "Perfect" was the completion of Scripture.

I now firmly believe it refers to the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and all the gifts of the Spirit still exist, though not at the scale that occurred during the ministry of the Lord, for that was a very special time marked by many miracles including the raising of Lazarus and continued with the Apostles.

I've also heard of Baptists who have encountered disembodied demons as well as my father in law who is a Baptist Deacon and head of the music ministry of a church who actually witnessed a real life exorcism.

So if Satan has that kind of power to attack believers, why in the world would anyone try to say that God cannot do the same through the Holy Spirit based on words given to Him by the Lord Jesus Christ?

Try using paragraphs Jeff as it makes it easier to read. I have broken up your post to give you an idea of how it works.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,087.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Archie,

The fact remains that when God gives a 'revelation' to someone in a church group (supported by the Scriptures I've provided), God is speaking to that person with a message for the group that is other than that in the Bible.

Oz
There were many things said in the truth and in the power of the Spirit by believers that are not written down. Even John says that Jesus spoke and did many more things but they were not all written down. Paul and all the apostles preached messages in the spirit all over that are not written down. Even the prophets that spoke in Corinth truly, there messages were not written down. But still from God.

God gave certain things for us in scripture not every single word that was spoken by Him. Jesus spoke always as God yet we do not have every single word he spoke in his whole life written down.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe that God will contradict his written word if He does speak to you. We have to let scripture be the final source of authority. But, I have had a few times in my Christian life where I felt like God was giving me a specific word of comfort for me. It was not audible. It was louder than that.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,087.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe that God will contradict his written word if He does speak to you. We have to let scripture be the final source of authority. But, I have had a few times in my Christian life where I felt like God was giving me a specific word of comfort for me. It was not audible. It was louder than that.
That’s good that you have heard Gods voice and what I am saying is that the holy scriptures were given by the Spirit through men. But to understand them we need to be in the spirit and have God working in us and leading us and opening the scriptures to us. Then the rule is to live and walk in Christ as a new creation. The holy scriptures will be profitable to us as we believe . The word works in those that believe.

But if we put scripture alone as the rule and say it is our only authority we can miss having God in us and walking in the spirit as our rule. They both work together , living in Christ as a new creation where God works in us to make us perfect unto EVERY good work and the holy scriptures that were given by the Spirit.

The problem is, when sone say they do not need to hear Gods voice or that Jesus Christ is not in them and all they need is scripture. The cults say they do what they do from scripture, every faise doctrine if man made religious forms in professing Christianity say they use scripture as thier authority. The Pharisees thought they had eternal life in scripture but they did not even recognize the living Word right in front of them and Jesus said they did not have his word abiding in them, or hear his word inwardly. They heard him speak physically but they did not hear his word spiritually. So all thier trust in scripture would not save them unless they were a new creation in Chrust. Yes, we can use scripture to warn them reprove them etc. But the inward life is by being born again.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,087.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Though not a Baptist when this happened, I don't actually believe that God choses who HE will speak to because of their domination. Refer to my post "God still speaks to us" from May 22 2016
Hello and God bless,

What do you mean when you say “because of their denomination”?

God can speak to men all over in any place

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,087.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello, and God bless,

When you say we are not the early church now are younsayingb(as sone do) that all the gifts of the Soirit have passed away and all men need now is scripture? By the way they (in the early church) had scripture also.

Are you speaking of that erroneous doctrine of cesstationist ? That there are no more prophecies or tongues or revelation or gifts of healing or miracles etc or apostles and prophets today?

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
my question is, is Jesus Christ in you? Yes or no? and have you heard the voice of the shepherd?

I heard the audible voice of the Lord before I learned to hear His still small voice.

Which testimoony would you like to hear? They both have one...I can't wait, hear this one.

It was saturday morning and both of my sons were staying with me again. I was sleeping and they got up and started fighting. I mean really fighting. Woke me up, shook the house. I go out and I start seeing damages to the house. Furniture, walls. So I got angry and got up and went out and yelled at them to stop.

The more aggressive of the two had a bad attitude and was very uh, voiceferous to me shall we say? So I decked him. He got up and snatched up his phone and said I'm calling the police and you're going to jail! And he proceeded to ring up the cops...

So I am no fool, I know how C. Springs cops are. I would go to jail. So I lit out the door walking so I wouldn't be there when the cops rolled in. The problem was I had been in an auto accident about 6 months before then and broke my back in 2 places. So I couldn't walk far. So I started praying. Lord, please dont let me go to jail today. Please dont let me go to jail today.

Then suddenly without warning and without the presence of God, I hear a voice inside of me and it said turn right at the corner. I felt elated because I was praying right then so I knew it had to be God. So I turned right.
Then the voice said, turn right in the alley.

Turn left here. Sit down and rest here. (in the sun!), then, get up go right go left up the alley. And so forth and so on. I couldn't walk more than a few blocks before needing to rest. And my old 1993 van was on gas fumes so I had to walk and stay close to home. and sometimes the Holy Spirit's prompting took me across an intersection. And I would look back and forth up and down the street while crossing.

Several times I saw cop cars crossing the intersection a few blocks down. Always a few blocks down. I knew they were searching for me.

Stop here and wait. Go now and go left then right on the next street...etc etc.. This went on for about 45 more minutes. Then all of a sudden I hear, it's safe to go home now, they have left and the search is over. So I walked home and thought, praise the Lord, I didnt get arrested. But what now? It all starts over again? Lord, please bring the Spirit of Peace to my house and upon those children. And when I went home and walked in my younger, more aggressive son immediately apologized to me and continued to clean the place up...(Thank You GOD!)

This incident of hearing Holy Spirit's voice was a special incident I believe. It was not the same (still small voice of God) that I have come to learn to hear. It was, different somehow. There was no, is that you God? I knew it was and that my prayer was being answered. But it was somewhat louder than the still small voice that I am used to. Like God cranked up the volume to make it easier for me to hear Him? I dunno.

But God does so speak to people every day.
Usually they don't recognize His voice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I really don't get it or the arguments of some. I"ve had a lot of Baptist friends that have had no problem with believing God speaks to us today. Now does God give new foundational truths for doctrine? No. Most everyone agrees that he doesn't. But what about someone wanting to know God's will for their personal life?

Sure most Baptists believe when they pray God can speak to them...perhaps a great many may not believe it's through an audible voice but through circumstances aligning which can no way be considered to be coincidental. My Baptist friends we'd have in our company lunch time Bible study....I don't think they'd even be opposed to the idea that one can hear an audible voice from God ....they basically held to (which I do to) that there can't be no new doctrinal truths and that we must test the spirits.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The time the Holy Spirit kept me from being arrested was the first time I heard the voice of the Lord.

The one time that I heard the audible voice of the Lord was the second time that I can (remember) ever hearing the voice of the Lord. This time, it ws auduble! It was right in the room with me. It was the voice of Jesus I instantly knew that. I recognized it (!!!) and was amazed that I somehow did recognize it!). It went like this:

One day I am at the computer checking my emails. I wasnt praying. I wasnt thinking about the Lord. I had my mind on other things. And He snuck up on me! suddenly I am interupted by Jesus walking into the room. He did not manifest Himself so that I could see Him. I saw nothing. But I felt it. The atmospher in the room became electric and charged. There was power in the room. There was the presence of God in the room and I felt it stronger than I ever have before (Or Since!). Let me tell you Brothers and Sisters, when Jesus walks into the room...you know it. You know who He is. You know He is God. (Wow!)

Then a voice spoke that I did recognize as Jesus. Which in itself seems weird because if I my beginning was here on earth, then I had never heard His voice before, right? But wait, there was something in scripture? Oh, He knew us before we were in the womb!So we have talked before I was born here.

Anyway, Jesus spoke and said, Pray for Brother (XXXX) he needs help...
I, IMO said the stupidest thing possible that I could. I said, Why what happened? Is he ok?
Jesus said, Pray for him now, he needs help now...
But when He spoke those words, I felt the terror of God for a moment. He had spoken in that parental tone that us parents use with our kids when we want to send the message...do it Now or you are in Big Trouble Mister! (That tone)
I immediately went into prayer for man. Jesus stayed in the room while I prayed. I could feel His presence still. Then when I fiished my prayer for my Brother in Christ and said my Amen and Amen. And it was then that the strong presence of God left.

So I left sitting there with my head spinning. What was that all about? And I remembered the tone and the terror and then remembered about Zacharias in Luke 1 where he had questioned Gabriel and got struck dumb for it. And I felt like, Yikes! That was close.

I learned a very good lesson that day! "When the Lord tells you to something (anything), the correct answer is Always going to be the same. The answer is, Yes, Lord! Yes. And obey immediately.

As I'm sitting there chewing on this stuff I realize something. Why would God do that?! God don't need me to heal someone! Who am I? I am nobody. (but the urgency in His voice was there). But if God really doesnt need me, then, it was a privlege to be asked to participate! So I began Praising the Lord and thanking Him (for allowing me to participate and Not striking me dumb when I questioned Him!)

It had been maybe 2 minutes since the Lord left the room. So I jump on the computer and I send off a private message to the man that I prayed for him to get help. I only knew him from an online christian forum and we were buddies online. I asked what hapened to him today? And told him that the Lord came to me and told me to pray for him...

I didn't get a reply for 2 or 3 hours so he could confirm some of these things. But he told me that he is diabetic (I think) and that he was in class at school when it began. (A older gentleman, private small school where everybody knows everybody, etc..)He said his blood sugar was off and he needed to go to the vending machine for some OJ to help him. He excused himself and walked out of class. He did not make it to the vending machines. He collapsed in the hallway and everyone was in class. There was no one in the hallway to help him.

Then he said a stranger wearing a suit walked up to him and said, I'm here to help Brother, what do you need? He said OJ and the man got him some OJ and broought it to him and he begins drinking it and when he got some of it into him and could take a momnet to look back up, the man was gone. He wondered who the man was, because he was a stranger. It was a small school. He asked everybody if they seen a man in a suit. No one saw him. And he told me that based on the time stamp of my PM to him, that was the time that it all happened!

So my prayer was helpful to this Brother, Praise the Lord. I felt good then. Wow. I learned a lot from this. I also felt like I dodged a bullet! Wow, I could have easily been struck dumb or something for talking back to the Commander in Chief !! I recognized my Lord's voice! He said, my sheep know my voice. That is true. And when Jesus walks into the room...there is no mistaking it. God is here now. Jesus is here. The Father waas prolly there also because Jesus is in the Father and the Father in Him.

Immediate obediance with a Yes Lord is the right answer! There was so much power in that room! Wow! That's My GOD!

Oh Lord, I thank you again for not striking me dumb that day!

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,087.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The time the Holy Spirit kept me from being arrested was the first time I heard the voice of the Lord.

The one time that I heard the audible voice of the Lord was the second time that I can (remember) ever hearing the voice of the Lord. This time, it ws auduble! It was right in the room with me. It was the voice of Jesus I instantly knew that. I recognized it (!!!) and was amazed that I somehow did recognize it!). It went like this:

One day I am at the computer checking my emails. I wasnt praying. I wasnt thinking about the Lord. I had my mind on other things. And He snuck up on me! suddenly I am interupted by Jesus walking into the room. He did not manifest Himself so that I could see Him. I saw nothing. But I felt it. The atmospher in the room became electric and charged. There was power in the room. There was the presence of God in the room and I felt it stronger than I ever have before (Or Since!). Let me tell you Brothers and Sisters, when Jesus walks into the room...you know it. You know who He is. You know He is God. (Wow!)

Then a voice spoke that I did recognize as Jesus. Which in itself seems weird because if I my beginning was here on earth, then I had never heard His voice before, right? But wait, there was something in scripture? Oh, He knew us before we were in the womb!So we have talked before I was born here.

Anyway, Jesus spoke and said, Pray for Brother (XXXX) he needs help...
I, IMO said the stupidest thing possible that I could. I said, Why what happened? Is he ok?
Jesus said, Pray for him now, he needs help now...
But when He spoke those words, I felt the terror of God for a moment. He had spoken in that parental tone that us parents use with our kids when we want to send the message...do it Now or you are in Big Trouble Mister! (That tone)
I immediately went into prayer for man. Jesus stayed in the room while I prayed. I could feel His presence still. Then when I fiished my prayer for my Brother in Christ and said my Amen and Amen. And it was then that the strong presence of God left.

So I left sitting there with my head spinning. What was that all about? And I remembered the tone and the terror and then remembered about Zacharias in Luke 1 where he had questioned Gabriel and got struck dumb for it. And I felt like, Yikes! That was close.

I learned a very good lesson that day! "When the Lord tells you to something (anything), the correct answer is Always going to be the same. The answer is, Yes, Lord! Yes. And obey immediately.

As I'm sitting there chewing on this stuff I realize something. Why would God do that?! God don't need me to heal someone! Who am I? I am nobody. (but the urgency in His voice was there). But if God really doesnt need me, then, it was a privlege to be asked to participate! So I began Praising the Lord and thanking Him (for allowing me to participate and Not striking me dumb when I questioned Him!)

It had been maybe 2 minutes since the Lord left the room. So I jump on the computer and I send off a private message to the man that I prayed for him to get help. I only knew him from an online christian forum and we were buddies online. I asked what hapened to him today? And told him that the Lord came to me and told me to pray for him...

I didn't get a reply for 2 or 3 hours so he could confirm some of these things. But he told me that he is diabetic (I think) and that he was in class at school when it began. (A older gentleman, private small school where everybody knows everybody, etc..)He said his blood sugar was off and he needed to go to the vending machine for some OJ to help him. He excused himself and walked out of class. He did not make it to the vending machines. He collapsed in the hallway and everyone was in class. There was no one in the hallway to help him.

Then he said a stranger wearing a suit walked up to him and said, I'm here to help Brother, what do you need? He said OJ and the man got him some OJ and broought it to him and he begins drinking it and when he got some of it into him and could take a momnet to look back up, the man was gone. He wondered who the man was, because he was a stranger. It was a small school. He asked everybody if they seen a man in a suit. No one saw him. And he told me that based on the time stamp of my PM to him, that was the time that it all happened!

So my prayer was helpful to this Brother, Praise the Lord. I felt good then. Wow. I learned a lot from this. I also felt like I dodged a bullet! Wow, I could have easily been struck dumb or something for talking back to the Commander in Chief !! I recognized my Lord's voice! He said, my sheep know my voice. That is true. And when Jesus walks into the room...there is no mistaking it. God is here now. Jesus is here. The Father waas prolly there also because Jesus is in the Father and the Father in Him.

Immediate obediance with a Yes Lord is the right answer! There was so much power in that room! Wow! That's My GOD!

Oh Lord, I thank you again for not striking me dumb that day!
Interesting.

These type of stories are endless and many believers have similar stories. I have had God speak to me and direct me many times into specific situations.

One day I was walking downtown ministering and sharing the gospel and I head God tell me to go over to a large building and go into it. It was a Roman Catholic structure (unbiblically called a church). God told me to go sit down and wait. So I did. Shortly after that the man called “a priest” cane and talked with me . There were a few other people in there praying. I started to discuss the things of God with him a bit louder than he wanted and he asked me to go into his office to talk. It seemed he didn’t want the others to hear these things I was speaking that were correcting sone of his wrong doctrines. As I was in his office I showed him many scriptures to correct his heresy and doctrine and he had no answers against what I shared. But he was so troubled that he just tried to laugh it off and I left him with what I shared as he was too airy and light and was resistant to the truth.
. As I was walking out of there God directed me to walk across the street as I was walking I saw another man walking towards me we were about to intersect in the sidewalk. I started to talk to him about Christ and salvation. He was slightly intoxicated and didn’t care to hear about salvation. Then I suddenly said something to him that I believed Gid was saying through me to him. I said, “if you keep going the way your going you are going walk across the road and get hit by a car and break your leg”. Then I warned him and told him what to do and repent and believe the gospel. He walked away scoffing at me.

Then about a week later I was in a different part of the Diwntown further up North with another brother evangelizing and as we walked I saw that man who I spoke to and warned. He was walking towards us with a broken leg and crutches. When he saw me he was startled as if he saw a ghost and came towards us. I asked him did he remember me?, he said “yes”, and I asked him what happened to him. He said he walked across the road got hit by a car and broke his leg. I asked him if he remembered the warning about this, he said yes in a nervous way. As he shook telling us. Then my brother in Christ with me took him and got him some food and shared more if Christ to him. He seemed more receptive this time.

These stories are soo many it would take too long to share them all. But this to me is the normal Christian life, or so it should be. Sadly many have all sorts of ideas why God does not speak to us today or why Jesus Christ is not actually in believers speaking. Yet, the scripture says different. 2 Corinthians 13:5

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,087.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really don't get it or the arguments of some. I"ve had a lot of Baptist friends that have had no problem with believing God speaks to us today. Now does God give new foundational truths for doctrine? No. Most everyone agrees that he doesn't. But what about someone wanting to know God's will for their personal life?

Sure most Baptists believe when they pray God can speak to them...perhaps a great many may not believe it's through an audible voice but through circumstances aligning which can no way be considered to be coincidental. My Baptist friends we'd have in our company lunch time Bible study....I don't think they'd even be opposed to the idea that one can hear an audible voice from God ....they basically held to (which I do to) that there can't be no new doctrinal truths and that we must test the spirits.
It’s not that God is teaching new doctrines when believers read scripture. But God can open their understanding to understand the right doctrine. Many religious groups have very different doctrines from the scriptures as they claim. But they can’t all be tight if they disagree strongly.

For example, sone teach that the gifts of the Soirit are done away and not for today and that any claiming to have such gifts are deceivers and in error. But others believe that God never stopped giving the gifts to the church and He still gifts the church today.

So the right doctrine can be shown by God to those who hear his voice and have the Soirit guide them to all truth . This can be done by a revelation of scripture to expose the error and show Gods way. Also God can give them such gifts and as they walk in them that is also evidence.

The verses the cestationist use to say there is no more gifts today are not right and as I have understood faise doctrine. I can show by scripture that the gifts are for today and never ceased.

But I also don’t see why God cannot show new doctrines according to scripture that may have been missed by many .

For example in history the Roman Catholic Church had certain doctrines that Luther had a revelation against and he showed from scripture doctrines about faith etc that were different than the Roman church taught. There are many examples of this all through history .

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It’s not that God is teaching new doctrines when believers read scripture. But God can open their understanding to understand the right doctrine.
You can most certainly have both.
But I also don’t see why God cannot show new doctrines according to scripture that may have been missed by many .
Fine but show a good foundation not just an odd OT verse but where the NT is full of it as well. Did Jesus actually teach it during his ministry? Did the Apostles? I'll give you an example. There's a teaching that's taken hold throughout various circles called Generational Curses.....I call it GC teaching. While I do believe physical weakness can go down a family line as we know doctors

always ask of the history of your parents THAT DOES NOT mean one has a curse and a need to break it or it was because of your Grandmother's sin you need to ask forgiveness for. NOT a Biblical teaching or doctrine. Jesus NEVER taught this...neither do we find it in Matt, Mark, Luke, John, and all the writings of Paul, Peter or John! But some current teachers believe they've got some NEW revelation usually taking 1 or 1 1/2 verses of scripture from the Old Testament. So they encourage people to make a mental list of past relatives to find out why they've got

these sore knees. Did your ancestors commit sin A, B or C? It's been known that Sin A can cause this physical affliction. Just crazy absolute nonsense but some or many are taken in by the latest new shining doctrine......they claim their teaching is deep and is the REAL meat of God's word.....that many just can't accept. I'm glad I'm among the number which don't.
For example in history the Roman Catholic Church had certain doctrines that Luther had a revelation against and he showed from scripture doctrines about faith etc that were different than the Roman church taught. There are many examples of this all through history .
But FAITH as you're referring of was taught by the Apostles all throughout the New Testament. As you say it wasn't a new teaching but was always there. Other junk and nonsense that some put out are not.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,087.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can most certainly have both.

Fine but show a good foundation not just an odd OT verse but where the NT is full of it as well. Did Jesus actually teach it during his ministry? Did the Apostles? I'll give you an example. There's a teaching that's taken hold throughout various circles called Generational Curses.....I call it GC teaching. While I do believe physical weakness can go down a family line as we know doctors

always ask of the history of your parents THAT DOES NOT mean one has a curse and a need to break it or it was because of your Grandmother's sin you need to ask forgiveness for. NOT a Biblical teaching or doctrine. Jesus NEVER taught this...neither do we find it in Matt, Mark, Luke, John, and all the writings of Paul, Peter or John! But some current teachers believe they've got some NEW revelation usually taking 1 or 1 1/2 verses of scripture from the Old Testament. So they encourage people to make a mental list of past relatives to find out why they've got

these sore knees. Did your ancestors commit sin A, B or C? It's been known that Sin A can cause this physical affliction. Just crazy absolute nonsense but some or many are taken in by the latest new shining doctrine......they claim their teaching is deep and is the REAL meat of God's word.....that many just can't accept. I'm glad I'm among the number which don't.

But FAITH as you're referring of was taught by the Apostles all throughout the New Testament. As you say it wasn't a new teaching but was always there. Other junk and nonsense that some put out are not.
Yes I agree that we can find scripture for many things when we have a revelation. It seems though that many can miss what some of the teachings of the scripture say. They either did not have the Spirit teach them or they just made something up or a devil doctrine twisted texts or a carnal man pressed his false view on them and deceived them etc.

There are so many examples of this. We can also have revelation of personal things about our life or others that we may not find every detail in scripture. For example I told that man I mentioned in a post above that prophetic warning or word of knowledge about his life which came to pass. We don’t find my exact words in scripture, but we find the principle of doing so all through scripture.

There are many other doctrines that are claimed to be taken from scripture that Christian’s and professing Christian’s disagree on. Like, can a believer lose salvation after they have began in the spirit by faith? Sone say yes sone say no. All use scripture or so they believe they do. All could claim a revelation of scripture as well. Or sone may ask can a man who is divorced get remarried? Sone say no, unless the partner dies others say yes for certain reasons, others say yes for any reason and all try to use or twist scripture. There are thousands of examples of this.

But, God may also show things that he revealed spiritually in the New Testament to those who also hear from the Spirit. These things may be hid from those who are not in the spirit. They may seem new to many but they were practiced by the apostles and early church.

For example, for years I was under the impression that every church should have a one man called “the pastor” over it. This is the norm almost everywhere. But when I head the Lotd that this is not the case I was startled and He showed me the apostolic pattern in scripture of plurality of elders in every church and that every part of the body can edify one another whenever they gather. We only see the word pastors in the plural once in the Bible in Ephesians 4 (KJV).

God also showed me many many scriptures about His order in the gatherings as they were there all along but I missed them assuming the one man pastor and the silent body ministry was the way it should be. But it wasn’t. Since God directed me to an apostolic ministry and planting churches he also showed me this order in scripture. Paul and Peter followed His order and taught others the sane. But so many today fight against this, and miss this clear direction in scripture and in thier church.

Here are just a few scriptures about body ministry and plurality of elders

1 Corinthians 14:26-38 this is Gods command for the churches. Yet how often have you ever heard men reveal these commands? Ephesians 4:10-16, Romans 12:2-8, 1 Thess 5:11, 1 Peter 4:10,12, 1 John 2:27, Acts 14:23, Colossians 3:16, 1 Corinthians 12:7-25, etc, etc. Jesus also said believers should not have those over them in authority like the Gentile Lords do yet we see this faise authority everywhere today and the church is run like the world in many cases.

So many times God will reveal things to certain people for the work he has called them to. And within scripture are so many things that seem hidden to many.

Sadly, when a person sees something that has not been seen much or taught by the masses of Christendom, it is looked at with suspicion and men will often follow their traditions of men rather than the truth as revealed in scripture abd to the person sharing them.

Upvote 0