• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Do aspies tend to be atheists?

loudatheist101

Logic is the train, evidence is the track.
Feb 10, 2007
Saturn
✟24,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I always wondered this. Every person with aspergers I know is an atheist! I think this makes sense. Aspies tend to view the word differently than most, and we tend to analyze more. I think ignoring common sense also has something to do with it, common sense says that there is a designer, however trusting common sense when it comes to science has a horrible track record and I always say that common sense or logic without evidence is a train without a track to follow.

Aspies also tend to be intelligent and have higher IQ's than most, as Aspergers is often refered to as the "Geek Syndrome" or "Young Professor Syndrome". This means we basically think about the world more than most I assume.

Is it coincidence that aspies tend to be atheists? Does aspergers have something to do with it? I'm going with the 2nd option.

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Havn't talked to an excessive amount of atheists so I can't speak from a lot of experience myself. The online tests I've taken have shown that I tend to be an intutive selfdiagnosed aspie. So for myself I find that having those qualities has allowed me to have dreams and knowing differing needs for prayer even before hearing the requests. Essentially I'm very intuned to the supernatural from both the Godly and the evil perspective.
Having those experiences for most of my life has opened my eyes to how small I am in the grand scheme of things that the Creator has created. So being aspie has allowed me to look with my spiritual eyes and heart as much as I do with my natural eyes and mind.

Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Havn't talked to an excessive amount of atheists so I can't speak from a lot of experience myself. The online tests I've taken have shown that I tend to be an intutive selfdiagnosed aspie. So for myself I find that having those qualities has allowed me to have dreams and knowing differing needs for prayer even before hearing the requests. Essentially I'm very intuned to the supernatural from both the Godly and the evil perspective.
Having those experiences for most of my life has opened my eyes to how small I am in the grand scheme of things that the Creator has created. So being aspie has allowed me to look with my spiritual eyes and heart as much as I do with my natural eyes and mind.

In my B.C. days, I channelled a lot of darkness through my sci-fi/adventure stories (never published), too. In my A.D., it shows up as discerning of spirits.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I don't know many aspies, but all those I do know are Christians, including my two kids, and another kid at our church.

I suspect that their beliefs depend strongly on those around them, since they seem so intent on learning the "rules" and following them.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I got saved through a Baptist church and really did connect with the Law aspect of God's Word, but the Paraclete can assume the role of "those around them..."

"But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you." John 16:13-15

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a possible aspie--no official diagnosis, but I pass all the tests. And I am a Christian. So is a good friend of mine who is a confirmed aspie.

Upvote 0

kyle123

Mar 17, 2008
✟7,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
i have aspbergurs bad case of it,and i like to think im a christian. i got saved when i was a little kid. ever since then its been a contant struggle to beleive god is love, and god hasnt adboned me. cuz of the pain in my soul. but anyways. it is true alot of people with aspbergurs are athiests. maybe becuz they have trouble with relation ships. but i doubt its thier iq. alot of christians have a high iq. albert eistien. believed in god. dont know if he was saved thou. also common sense can have a impact. sometimes people with common sense reject god.cuz alot of the bible goes agaist common sense. i have no common sense i beleive its for my good. god can save anyone. apsbergurs,ocd, what ever. its up to the person if they want to be saved. knowing from my pain and expereinces. most people with mental illness reject god cuz they dont understand the pain in their soul. or why god allowed them have a mental illness.

sorry for a long email, lone wolf

Reactions: gracechick
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

loudatheist101

Logic is the train, evidence is the track.
Feb 10, 2007
Saturn
✟24,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
i have aspbergurs bad case of it,and i like to think im a christian. i got saved when i was a little kid. ever since then its been a contant struggle to beleive god is love, and god hasnt adboned me. cuz of the pain in my soul. but anyways. it is true alot of people with aspbergurs are athiests. maybe becuz they have trouble with relation ships. but i doubt its thier iq. alot of christians have a high iq. albert eistien. believed in god. dont know if he was saved thou. also common sense can have a impact. sometimes people with common sense reject god.cuz alot of the bible goes agaist common sense. i have no common sense i beleive its for my good. god can save anyone. apsbergurs,ocd, what ever. its up to the person if they want to be saved. knowing from my pain and expereinces. most people with mental illness reject god cuz they dont understand the pain in their soul. or why god allowed them have a mental illness.

sorry for a long email, lone wolf

Not at all. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

doglover

Serving my Prince
Dec 8, 2004
✟20,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
My dad has aspergers, and is a very strong believer in Christ; has been for about 30 years. I don't have a ton of experience with other aspies, but I don't think they'd be more "prone" to being athiests. God made people with aspergers that way, and He wouldn't create someone to not be in His love and will.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suspect that the clergy of certain religions such as Judaism and Catholicism are full of aspies.
At first I thought that was a bit of a flame, but you know, you might have a point. :idea:

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Timuchin

May 4, 2007
Visit site
✟8,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thirty-five years ago I got done reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and was looking for another thick book to read. I decided to read a Bible. I got a readable version of the Bible (unlike the King James) and started at page one.

I found the old testament entertaining and amusing. When I got to Ruth, I decided to read the New Testament and see how it ended. I was amazed by this guy Jesus. He was definitely worth following, but He said, "If any man would come after me, let Him deny himself, pick up his cross and follow me." He wanted all or nothing.

That was a little scary. But my life was such a mess anyway, I raised my right hand and said, "I'll do it."

As I read on, I saw that the patriarchs of old and the apostles all talked to God and God talked to them. If I am a Christian, they are merely my brothers. God can talk with me, too. As a matter of fact, If I ask for it by faith, I can have it because it is God's will that I do so! I prayed for it and thanked God for it -- and God Spoke.

I had just received the gift of the Holy Spirit called Word of Knowledge. God has directed me thusly all of my Christian life.

I found out I was Aspergers two years ago.

In looking around, it struck me that the father of Methodism, John Wesley, had all sorts of symptoms that looked like Aspergers.

Upvote 0

Prince Lilac

Oct 31, 2008
Des Moines
✟7,636.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've never heard of there being a correlation between Asperger and atheism. Then again, I don't know anyone with (confirmed) Asperger Syndrome aside from myself--and I just so happen to be atheist. As far as following common sense, yes common sense tells me that everything comes from somewhere. However, it does not tell me that this "somewhere" must be an intelligent designer. It tells me that if something is completely intangible, then there is no reason to presume that it truly exists at all.

Upvote 0

Timuchin

May 4, 2007
Visit site
✟8,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've never heard of there being a correlation between Asperger and atheism. Then again, I don't know anyone with (confirmed) Asperger Syndrome aside from myself--and I just so happen to be atheist. As far as following common sense, yes common sense tells me that everything comes from somewhere. However, it does not tell me that this "somewhere" must be an intelligent designer. It tells me that if something is completely intangible, then there is no reason to presume that it truly exists at all.
Yep, been there, done that. It makes internal sense. God bless you.

The world view you were given in government school is that of scientific materialism, which you have described well. When you get out of school and into the real world you will find that there are things that aren't accounted for by that world view. They have to rely on "faith" to cover the holes. If praying to God heals people, it must be power of suggestion, coincidence or some scientific principle we don't understand yet. If a child gets a recurring visitation from something evil every night for no apparent reason, it must be an over-active imagination or insanity. If someone says they hear God and come up with accurate predictions, it must be coincidence or an extremely brilliant subconscious -- or some scientific principle we don't understand yet.

So which world view has fewer holes in it that hae to patched with "faith?" Check out a church some time for the other side of the story.

Reactions: gracechick
Upvote 0