Do any other childfrees here have a heart for the elderly?

Amélie Unbound

Just doing the best I can.
May 11, 2005
Canada
✟4,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This may sound odd, but I often think that elderly people are a lot "cuter" to me than children are, and tug at my heartstrings more than children do!

My husband has this one older uncle who I think is just adorable in his little-old-man way. My husband has similar features to him, so I often think that my husband might look like him when he's old. Awwww! :)

I just love being around elderly people, talking to them, and hearing what they have to say from the vantage point of having most of their life behind them already.

Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone work or volunteer with the elderly? Does anyone else feel more drawn to the elderly than to children?

bluebug83

Jan 5, 2007
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't really have a strong heart for the elderly in the way you describe, but I know what you're talking about. Yes, I could probably say I enjoy being around them more than I enjoy being around kids. You're right, elderly people are "cute" in their own way, but I mainly love the fact that they've lived a long life and therefore have a lot of interesting stories. In a way, they're like walking history books, all with their own unique experiences and wisdom. I love sitting down and talking to my husband's 91 year old grandfather, who tells many interesting stories from WWII (he was in the military), and just about general stuff about what life was like back then. So, ultimately I like the elderly better than kids because I'm very intellectually minded, and elderly people offer much more intellectual stimulation than kids do.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,236.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I absolutely love the elderly, and have a big soft spot for them. I recently became involved in the senior ministry at our church, in fact, and I love it.

I just think older people are really cute, and I feel for them because they often are lonely, don't have a lot of family around, and don't have many people to talk to. I love just sitting and asking them about their lives, hearing their stories, and letting them reminisce. You can tell it makes them feel really good to know someone is interested in hearing their old stories.

And yes, I'd most definitely enjoy spending my time around the elderly much more than I would children.

Upvote 0

Epoh99

Veteran
Oct 28, 2005
✟9,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting question, Orchard. I have "adopted" several senior ladies at my church who have no one... husbands have passed, they either never had kids or they don't see their kids a lot, and some are homebound. One of my favorites is a 92 year old lady who is a real spitfire. You know where you stand with her. :D They actually kind of remind me as children and pets (no disrespect to the elderly meant at all when I say that) as they are easily taken advantage of, need someone to speak up for them and defend them, and often can't do everything for themselves. They tell me frequently what a blessing I am to them but I am equally blessed by their friendships.

Upvote 0

firestar

Senior Veteran
Sep 3, 2005
Beautiful Canada
✟13,381.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yes, I have a HUGE heart for the elderly. I work in a nursing home and I absolutely love my residents!! They never fail to cheer me up if I'm down, try to encourage me if I look like I need it, they have even offered to pray for me- and they know I'm Christian and they are Jewish. They are lovely people.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I love elderly people too! It makes me sad that our society these days is all about youth and beauty instead of important things like wisdom, patience and experience which the elderly possess in large amounts.

I don't have time today to post more, I've just returned from Rome (it was fab, despite it being a school trip with 29 pupils aged 16 and 17 - most of them were really very nice, some of them were a bit bored and rude), but I'll be back.

Oh, and I made some great four-legged friends in Rome! (Yes I know, wrong thread, but I'm in a hurry.)

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,236.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I just wanted to share this with you guys.

This week, I went with some people from our church to a local nursing home to host a karaoke sing-along. It was such a great time. The residents really got into it, singing with us and clapping their hands, way more than I thought they would (I was afraid they'd fall asleep) and they had such joy on their faces. We were mingling with them and singing with them, and people who weren't singing before would start when we came near them. You could tell they really enjoyed the interaction and having people with them for a while.

We sang some old gospel songs and some secular standards. So many of them knew the words to the gospel songs by heart, which was so neat to see. It was like we were giving them a little bit of time to worship with other people, which they may not get very often.

Anyway, I thought it was a really rewarding experience. I really want to go back and visit with them again. Just in the hour I was there, several of them really caught hold of my heart.

Upvote 0