Do any Orthodox have any info on the Starvation of Alaska/Inuits in the North?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Was writing due to some research I've had to do for an organization I'm with/working on for a project - as it is on the issue of the Inuit/Eskimos and the ways that their ways of life are being harmed (specifically food security/environment based on ice) by much of the globilization going on near them - in addition to the devestation happening to the food supply and the high prices being placed on foods in the North with the markets.....and many communities not being able to afford it at all. More was written elsewhere in a thread I made on the issue - seen in Eskimo Eradication: Why is the U.S aiding the destruction/starvation of the Inuit?

I have a deep love for Native American culture - and historically, they have a beautiful heritage. With Alaska, I know of others who did amazing work in helping the Eskimos - such as St. Herman of Alaska (Orthodox, 18th century) who was a major force in evangelising the North and the West of North America, working to evangelise the Inuit natives of Alaska and the adjacent Canadian areas. It has been a blessing seeing how there are indeed a number of striking similarities between Orthodox and American Indian cosmologies, particularly the Inuit/Aleut tribes of Alaska. With the Algonquin Canadians, it's interesting to see some of the suggestions others have brought up when it comes to showing their cultural perspective within Orthodox parishes - some suggesting that as Orthodox in America, they should develop unique chants/try to marry Orthodox worship and Native American chanting..:) Some examples (abeit modern) on the point
One time, I was studying up on what another Orthodox minister remarked on in seeing the Orthodox Church as being a "bottom up" affair. In his view:
Throughout the history of the Church we see that the variou groups of people or tribes which were brought into the fold occured as a result of their entire culture being "baptised". This was tru when the Hebrew Apostles went out, first throughout the Middle East (as with Antioch where "we were first called Christians").

The process repeated itself when the Apostles spread out to the rest of the Mediterranian world to the Greco-Roman Culture. Then centuries later when Sts Cyril and Methodious went to the Slavic Tribes. They created an alphabet (based upon the Greek Alphabet), then the Russians went to Alaska in the 18th century and repeated the same tried and true process. Each with great success, one could argue that in Western Europe something different occured. They stopped teaching in the varnacular and continued Latin even through the Protestant Reformation. There was never any move to create a unique German, or French, or English Church. Not as a unified structure as occurred in Eastern Europe.

The individual, who is an Orthodox minister ( Rev. Archpriest Michael J. Oleksa, Th.D ), actully has a ministry on the issue for developing chants with Native America tones and ideas (as it concerns Alaskan Orthodox native chant, liturgy, culture) - which can be found if going www.naocf.org /Native American Orthodox Christian Fellowship

That said... although I am aware of how there are some Orthodox communities in the Alaska area as well as Artic circles, I was not aware as to what they have said on the issue and what they're seeking to do on it for those who are being impacted by the ecological/cultural devestation that seems to be occurring.

To see the ways that their culture seems to be slowly eradicated by many things done globally - including consumerism in the U.S - I didn't know what their strategies were for helping those individuals.

If anyone has any useful resources (i.e. articles, coverage, interviews, etc.), I'd greatly appreciate it. Blesings:)

Last edited:

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
inuit-mother-and-child-nancy-griswold.jpg
Beautiful picture and appreciate you taking the time to find it :).

On the subject of the OP, I was glad that Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew shared on the issue some very excellent information:

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
G,

Contact Bishop Benjamin of the West (OCA). He studied the Native Americans in Alaska, and then gave a presentation of his findings. It was awesome.
Is his contact information online? If so I'll have to hit him up indeed :) Was the presentation he gave on the Inuit culture or the ways that their environment is being destroyed? Also, how did you come across the man? What did you find awesome on it?

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);62862640 said:
Is his contact information online? If so I'll have to hit him up indeed :) Was the presentation he gave on the Inuit culture or the ways that their environment is being destroyed? Also, how did you come across the man? What did you find awesome on it?

Go to the OCA website, hierarchs, and click on Bishop Benjamin's profile.

He described their evangelization, the purchase of Alaska, and the persecution of the Natives by the US Government resulting in the loss of native languages, separation of children from parents, and mass numbers of suicides due to the resultant depression and forced evangelization of the Orthodox Christian Natives by Protestant and Catholic missionaries all with the blessing of Big Bro. This resulted in alcoholism and drug addiction, which still plague the Native Americans to this day.

Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Go to the OCA website, hierarchs, and click on Bishop Benjamin's profile.

He described their evangelization, the purchase of Alaska, and the persecution of the Natives by the US Government resulting in the loss of native languages, separation of children from parents, and mass numbers of suicides due to the resultant depression and forced evangelization of the Orthodox Christian Natives by Protestant and Catholic missionaries all with the blessing of Big Bro. This resulted in alcoholism and drug addiction, which still plague the Native Americans to this day.

Lord have mercy.
Wow. That's intensive what they suffered through and I will have to definately hear what the minister had to say...for it's bad enough not many in the Body of Christ talk on it. But many may not be aware..

Lord have mercy...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think another guy to check out would be Fr Michael Oleska. he knows a LOT about Alaska
Appreciate the reference and will have to look him up. Found his material here/here - although if there's another place you had in mind, please let me know

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Was writing due to some research I've had to do for an organization I'm with/working on for a project - as it is on the issue of the Inuit/Eskimos and the ways that their ways of life are being harmed (specifically food security/environment based on ice) by much of the globilization going on near them - in addition to the devestation happening to the food supply and the high prices being placed on foods in the North with the markets.....and many communities not being able to afford it at all. More was written elsewhere in a thread I made on the issue - seen in Eskimo Eradication: Why is the U.S aiding the destruction/starvation of the Inuit?

I have a deep love for Native American culture - and historically, they have a beautiful heritage. With Alaska, I know of others who did amazing work in helping the Eskimos - such as St. Herman of Alaska (Orthodox, 18th century) who was a major force in evangelising the North and the West of North America, working to evangelise the Inuit natives of Alaska and the adjacent Canadian areas. It has been a blessing seeing how there are indeed a number of striking similarities between Orthodox and American Indian cosmologies, particularly the Inuit/Aleut tribes of Alaska. With the Algonquin Canadians, it's interesting to see some of the suggestions others have brought up when it comes to showing their cultural perspective within Orthodox parishes - some suggesting that as Orthodox in America, they should develop unique chants/try to marry Orthodox worship and Native American chanting..:) Some examples (abeit modern) on the point
One time, I was studying up on what another Orthodox minister remarked on in seeing the Orthodox Church as being a "bottom up" affair. In his view:
Throughout the history of the Church we see that the variou groups of people or tribes which were brought into the fold occured as a result of their entire culture being "baptised". This was tru when the Hebrew Apostles went out, first throughout the Middle East (as with Antioch where "we were first called Christians").

The process repeated itself when the Apostles spread out to the rest of the Mediterranian world to the Greco-Roman Culture. Then centuries later when Sts Cyril and Methodious went to the Slavic Tribes. They created an alphabet (based upon the Greek Alphabet), then the Russians went to Alaska in the 18th century and repeated the same tried and true process. Each with great success, one could argue that in Western Europe something different occured. They stopped teaching in the varnacular and continued Latin even through the Protestant Reformation. There was never any move to create a unique German, or French, or English Church. Not as a unified structure as occurred in Eastern Europe.

The individual, who is an Orthodox minister ( Rev. Archpriest Michael J. Oleksa, Th.D ), actully has a ministry on the issue for developing chants with Native America tones and ideas (as it concerns Alaskan Orthodox native chant, liturgy, culture) - which can be found if going www.naocf.org /Native American Orthodox Christian Fellowship

That said... although I am aware of how there are some Orthodox communities in the Alaska area as well as Artic circles, I was not aware as to what they have said on the issue and what they're seeking to do on it for those who are being impacted by the ecological/cultural devestation that seems to be occurring.

To see the ways that their culture seems to be slowly eradicated by many things done globally - including consumerism in the U.S - I didn't know what their strategies were for helping those individuals.

If anyone has any useful resources (i.e. articles, coverage, interviews, etc.), I'd greatly appreciate it. Blesings:)

Hi my dear!!! :):):)
Also you can see this about your subject: Alaska of my heart

Upvote 0