I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
After 12 years of homeschooling my loneliness has broken from abuse.

I'm just content most of the time now :D

Lol, I've been home schooled most of my life too. Usually, I'm fine, but sometimes, I wish some kids that I know would grow up, so I could talk to them about things. I get lonely when I can't talk about serious stuff with people. lol.

Upvote 0

Unfit'for'swine

Mar 12, 2010
✟8,199.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
sometimes a normal school won't help all that much... I know that, I've been there.

I don't quite see how that is an example of loneliness, most people go to school and you are surrounded my interesting human beings all the time. I've now reached a point where I have no clue how to communicate with other teenagers.

Upvote 0

DMMullinax

I could live in hope
Sep 11, 2007
North Carolina
✟15,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't quite see how that is an example of loneliness, most people go to school and you are surrounded my interesting human beings all the time. I've now reached a point where I have no clue how to communicate with other teenagers.

Even though there may be tons of kids at regular school it doesn't mean you can't be lonely. Sometimes it's very lonely. A lot of kids are either too caught up in whats going on in their own lives to worry much about yours, or the friendships you do have with most of them are at such a base level that you can't communicate serious things with them; I've noticed that with friends I've had for a long time a lot of times don't want to talk about serious things; like the relationship goes as far as the petty things and joking around. So I'd say there's just as much room for loneliness in regular school as there is homeschooling. The grass isn't always greener.

Upvote 0

Unfit'for'swine

Mar 12, 2010
✟8,199.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Even though there may be tons of kids at regular school it doesn't mean you can't be lonely. Sometimes it's very lonely. A lot of kids are either too caught up in whats going on in their own lives to worry much about yours, or the friendships you do have with most of them are at such a base level that you can't communicate serious things with them; I've noticed that with friends I've had for a long time a lot of times don't want to talk about serious things; like the relationship goes as far as the petty things and joking around. So I'd say there's just as much room for loneliness in regular school as there is homeschooling. The grass isn't always greener.

Have you ever been home educated?

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Lol, but loneliness is far more crippling in a public environment.
Crowds make one lonely.
The absence of them, well, it may be lonely, but at least you don't see other people surrounding you that aren't lonely.
That's what made me so lonely this year. Seeing as I went to a school filled with kids who only cared about sports and social status, and I was the one kid who wasn't athletic, and the one person who cared about everyone, I didn't fit in. That was the loneliest year of my life.

Upvote 0

DMMullinax

I could live in hope
Sep 11, 2007
North Carolina
✟15,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever been home educated?

No, I have not been homeschooled before. I'm not trying to prove which is lonelier out of the two, but that there's more than just meets the eye when it comes to normal schooling, and that it comes with it's own type of loneliness to some.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unfit'for'swine

Mar 12, 2010
✟8,199.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No, I have not been homeschooled before. I'm not trying to prove which is lonelier out of the two, but that there's more than just meets the eye when it comes to normal schooling, and that it comes with it's own type of loneliness to some.

Believe me there is no competition, once I tried to make friends with the mail-man.

I don't get lonely nowadays

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Believe me there is no competition, once I tried to make friends with the mail-man.

I don't get lonely nowadays

Lol, I guess that's how I've been too. When I was in 6th grade, I befriended a tree because I was so lonely being home schooled.

I'm going back into it this year again... Lol, hopefully I won't get quite as lonely.

Upvote 0
M

MissElizabeth

I have had a taste of public and home school, and have felt loneliness in both. I generally am a real social bug, so leaving school was really hard and quite depessing on the social side. But after 5 or so years i've learnt to deal with, not to say I still don't get social cravings. But at public school, I wasn't the "cool athletic" girl, so was under alot of peer pressure to be "with it", and being judged so, you can often be left feeling by yourself. Also, talking to people that you can't talk about your beliefs and just talking chit chat with no purpose grates on me too, which is all the kids at my school were interested in. Lol! So you get lonliness in both worlds, everywhere. I suppose you just have to try hard to find an outlet for it. I'm glad though that we had lots of animals so I didn't have to befriend a tree! lol! ;)

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It really must suck that you have (had?) a hard time finding other teenagers to hang out with, didn't you have hobbies or kids a your neighborhood you could have been friends with?

Anyways when it comes to being lonely despite of being in a regular school, my experience was that school was one of the worst settings for making friends... Like others have stated, school environment is a place where being different will be noticed easily and sometimes it's hard making friends if no one agrees with you or has a similar life style. Not to forget things like bullying and such.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unfit'for'swine

Mar 12, 2010
✟8,199.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It really must suck that you have (had?) a hard time finding other teenagers to hang out with, didn't you have hobbies or kids a your neighborhood you could have been friends with?

I am an outcast, a social reject, I don't have any friends to speak of. They neither speak to me nor give me the time of day, but i'm very fortunate to have a wonderful Dad, Mommy and sister, and i'm not one of those confused people whom enjoys the negative attention of being a social outcast, i'm not trying to win sympathy, I've just noticed that people don't give me the time o day.

Anyways when it comes to being lonely despite of being in a regular school, my experience was that school was one of the worst settings for making friends... Like others have stated, school environment is a place where being different will be noticed easily and sometimes it's hard making friends if no one agrees with you or has a similar life style. Not to forget things like bullying and such.

Try living in an environment where you can't make any friends because they're s no-one to make friends with, and if you do find someone, they treat you like yesterdays trash.

Upvote 0

DMMullinax

I could live in hope
Sep 11, 2007
North Carolina
✟15,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try living in an environment where you can't make any friends because they're s no-one to make friends with, and if you do find someone, they treat you like yesterdays trash.

I know there are a lot of outright vicious people out there, but why would they treat you like trash before they even had a sense of who you were, or refuse even giving you the time of day?

Upvote 0

Unfit'for'swine

Mar 12, 2010
✟8,199.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know there are a lot of outright vicious people out there, but why would they treat you like trash before they even had a sense of who you were, or refuse even giving you the time of day?

I've asked myself that question many times. I guess teenagers are too busy for the likes of mere mortals.

Upvote 0