Nov 24, 2010
Athens, OH
✟15,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ephesians 6:10-18 the full armor of God

SURPRISE - the full armor was 7 weapons. The 7th weapon (prayer in the spirit) is mentioned, but it's not mentioned that this weapon is the lance. The lance was a devastating weapon designed to break through enemy shields and fill them with broken scraps of material, it would also shatter on impact, making it useless to the enemy after use. Really, this is where the greatest breakthroughs lie.

No you don't need it to be saved, but you could consider using it if you want divine breakthroughs and doors opened in your life. You could pray in English for 5 years or pray in tongues for 5 month. True prayer is declaring on earth what God has declared in heaven, and it's His will for you to prosper as greatly as you will allow Him to advance you. Of course, power is only given for service, and blessing is given to share, and it's your job to stir up your spiritual gifts. More favor = more responsibility. :pray:

(james 2:17) So you see, faith by itself isn't enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

Don't get me wrong, you're still saved as long as you walk daily with God.

(galatians 4:1) What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lively Stone

Jul 2, 2010
✟1,278.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
ephesians 6:10-18 the full armor of God

SURPRISE - the full armor was 7 weapons. The 7th weapon (prayer in the spirit) is mentioned, but it's not mentioned that this weapon is the lance. The lance was a devastating weapon designed to break through enemy shields and fill them with broken scraps of material, it would also shatter on impact, making it useless to the enemy after use. Really, this is where the greatest breakthroughs lie.

No you don't need it to be saved, but you could consider using it if you want divine breakthroughs and doors opened in your life. You could pray in English for 5 years or pray in tongues for 5 month. True prayer is declaring on earth what God has declared in heaven, and it's His will for you to prosper as greatly as you will allow Him to advance you. Of course, power is only given for service, and blessing is given to share, and it's your job to stir up your spiritual gifts. More favor = more responsibility. :pray:

(james 2:17) So you see, faith by itself isn't enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

Don't get me wrong, you're still saved as long as you walk daily with God.

(galatians 4:1) What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate.

Amen!

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,512.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I see no clear indication that all Christians are supposed to speak in tongues. Paul in his teaching to the corinthians seems to imply that tongues is not given to everyone.

I'm aware that some people make a difference between the gift of tongues, and simply speaking in tongues as a private prayer language.

That is possible, I don't care to argue that its wrong, or to condemn it, but I don't see it clearly taught anywhere either.

Upvote 0

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I see no clear indication that all Christians are supposed to speak in tongues. Paul in his teaching to the corinthians seems to imply that tongues is not given to everyone.

I'm aware that some people make a difference between the gift of tongues, and simply speaking in tongues as a private prayer language.

That is possible, I don't care to argue that its wrong, or to condemn it, but I don't see it clearly taught anywhere either.

Paul, in I Corinthians 14, terms praying in the spirit as praying in other tongues, and states that he (by volition) prays and sings alternately with the understanding and in the spirit. In Jude, we are commanded to build up our most holy faith praying in the spirit. I read that to mean we are all admonished to pray in other tongues. Both Paul in I Co 14 and Jude state that one who prays in the spirit edifies himself. It would seem both cruel and unjust of God to withhold the only manifestation of the spirit that accomplishes this spiritual edification from any of us, especially when we are instructed to exercise it. To me, that is compelling.

The context in which Paul asks, "do all speak in tongues" has to do with ministry, not speaking in tongues devotionally. It is prefaced by a list of ministries (e.g. prophet), after which he asks, "do all prophesy", etc.

Tongues is tongues, and the only difference between speaking in tongues in the assembly and speaking in tongues devotionally is the purpose of it. (I consider "private prayer language" to be an erroneous term). One edifies the speaker, one edifies the church (when accompanied by interpretation of tongues). Paul illustrates this in himself when he states that he spoke in tongues more than anyone in the Corinthian church, yet indicated it was not in the church that he did so.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Must you speak in tongues to be saved?

Jesus didn't. He spoke in plain language. Neither did God, as He walked in a garden long long ago, with Adam.

It is written:

"He hath shewed thee, O man, what [is] good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" ~Micah 6:8

Upvote 0

BoyRescue

Jun 8, 2009
✟15,241.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know many people believe that speaking in tongues is required to enter heaven because of John 3:5.

Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.

Since people associate speaking in tongues as the evidence of the Holy Spirit and if you can't speak in tongues then you can't enter the kingdom of God. Can someone explain? Thanks.

Upvote 0

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jesus didn't. He spoke in plain language. Neither did God, as He walked in a garden long long ago, with Adam.

It is written:

"He hath shewed thee, O man, what [is] good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" ~Micah 6:8

No one spoke in tongues until the day of Pentecost. This manifestation of the Holy Spirit is unique to the New Testament church, after the Holy Spirit (the promise of the Father) was given.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I know many people believe that speaking in tongues is required to enter heaven because of John 3:5.

Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.

Since people associate speaking in tongues as the evidence of the Holy Spirit and if you can't speak in tongues then you can't enter the kingdom of God. Can someone explain? Thanks.

Some may think that way, but it's not correct. You can be born of the spirit (born again) without being baptized in the Holy Spirit. The believers in Samaria turned in faith to Jesus but none of them were baptized in the spirit until they sent for Peter and John to come lay hands on them.

Upvote 0

BoyRescue

Jun 8, 2009
✟15,241.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some may think that way, but it's not correct. You can be born of the spirit (born again) without being baptized in the Holy Spirit. The believers in Samaria turned in faith to Jesus but none of them were baptized in the spirit until they sent for Peter and John to come lay hands on them.

So do you receive Jesus and baptism of the Holy Spirit as a two step?

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,512.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Being born of the Spirit, in John 3:5 is not being baptized in the Holy Spirit. It is referring to being born again. (which phrase has a dual meaning in greek, it means both born again, and also born from above, as in born of God, ie born of the Spirit)

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lively Stone

Jul 2, 2010
✟1,278.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
So, there are some cases where a person has only received Jesus, but not the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Is the baptism of the Holy Spirit necessary for salvation then or no and is receiving Jesus all you need for salvation?

Yes, a person can be saved and never experience the baptism of the Holy Spirit. It isn't necessary for salvation, but it is necessary for the power needed to exercise one's God-given gifts with ease and great success.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, a person can be saved and never experience the baptism of the Holy Spirit. It isn't necessary for salvation, but it is necessary for the power needed to exercise one's God-given gifts with ease and great success.

Is the Spirit indwelling in us different than a baptism in the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

Lively Stone

Jul 2, 2010
✟1,278.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Is the Spirit indwelling in us different than a baptism in the Holy Spirit?

Yes, brinny. We have the Holy Spirit in measure when we receive salvation, but when we are baptized in power, we have Him and His anointing to overflowing! Praise God!

Upvote 0