A Light in the Darkness
Jul 25, 2010
Europe
✟8,342.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not the question (I don’t think :)). Tongues are necessary for service, not salvation. If you hire me to build an addition to your home and give me a hammer would you say the hammer is necessary to do the job, just as much as, say, a saw or crowbar? I can always use a wrench or any other tool as a hammer, but the hammer is designed for a particular job just as the gift of tongues is. I can avoid using the enablement if I so choose, and I can still go to heaven, but my effectiveness on earth as a servant will be seriously curtailed.

~Jim

The question was,
"Must you speak in tongues to be saved?
" :) I was merely responding to the original post.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The question was,
"Must you speak in tongues to be saved?" :) I was merely responding to the original post.

Oops. I stand corrected. I was responding to the title of the thread, not the OP. Sorry.

~Jim

The shortest distance between two points is usually under construction.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2010
Bakersfield California
✟8,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not the question (I don’t think :)). Tongues are necessary for service, not salvation. If you hire me to build an addition to your home and give me a hammer would you say the hammer is necessary to do the job, just as much as, say, a saw or crowbar? I can always use a wrench or any other tool as a hammer, but the hammer is designed for a particular job just as the gift of tongues is. I can avoid using the enablement if I so choose, and I can still go to heaven, but my effectiveness on earth as a servant will be seriously curtailed.

~Jim

Tongues are necessary for service ?

The holy spirit is necessary for service

1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[

Tongues are necessary for service ?

The holy spirit is necessary for service

1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Okay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Jesus is who I Follow He did not speak in (unknown) Tongues

He didn't drive either. The disciples did though, they were all together in one Accord.

He also didn't use interact, shop at a grocery store, ride on a motorbike or own a computer. These things are to help us, although some things can hinder us as well. Gifts are similar.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2010
Bakersfield California
✟8,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He didn't drive either. The disciples did though, they were all together in one Accord.

He also didn't use interact, shop at a grocery store, ride on a motorbike or own a computer. These things are to help us, although some things can hinder us as well. Gifts are similar.

I'm not against tongues It was to the Op If tongues were necessary for salvation Jesus would have spoke in them as an example to us

lol I like the accord one

some even smoked cigarettes

Gen 24:64 And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trish1947

Free to Believe
Nov 14, 2003
California
Visit site
✟24,917.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
By JE Brady Jesus never said anything about speaking in tongues, to my knowledge.

Jesus did mention tongues.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:19So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

But how many people would consider them non-believers because they never had been bitten by a poisonous snake and lived?
Or never had cast out a devil?
Or had never accidently drank poison, and lived to tell about it?

I believe we can speak in tongues because Jesus says we can as believers, but none of these signs is what saved the person. We are just asked to believe that we can as being believers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JEBrady

Mar 24, 2006
NY
✟17,370.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jesus did mention tongues.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 16:19So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

Excellent, thanks. I stand corrected!

Upvote 0
C

covefromoz

I think people need to define what the gift of tongues really entails. Most people hear "gift of tongues" and think of that "halimashanda bo say to bay rrrrrobosay" type language that a lot of people do when they're praying in the Spirit or whatever.

I think, rather, the gift of tongues is exactly that...the supernatural ability to suddenly speak accurately a tongue which you are not familiar with - whether it be an ancient tongue, a heavenly tongue or an existing tongue (French, Mandarin, Tagalog, etc.)

That's how it kind of manifested when the Spirit came - the disciples began to speak in languages they were unfamiliar with but were known to some of the people around them and it was a sign and a wonder.

The gift of tongues doesn't save you. It's just like any other gift, it's cool but not necessary for salvation.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
The salvation experience is likened to the "Outer Court" of the tabernacle. The Pentecostal experience is likened to the Holy Place. You entered into covenant through the outer court. You come closer to God in the Holy Place. Jesus Himself said that one of the signs following the believer is speaking with "new tongues". Praying in the Spirit edifies you and you pray mysteries, according to the will of God. Do you need to do that? If Jesus said it's for you and your benefit, it's in your best interest to receive that. They say that the word saved or "sozo" implies more than eternal life. It's also healing and deliverance. Everything you need for soundness in your entire being was purchased by Jesus. If being a doer of the Word makes you blessed in your deeds, and speaking with new tongues is in the Word, then receiving and doing it will enhance your blessing. Whatever the more "fringe" elements in some churches do, they're not the norm, and if they are to the right or to the left, keep your eye single on Jesus at the throne and receive from Him how He intends for you to have it. Nothing weird! A righteous prayer for anyone who doesn't and would seriously consider it if it were truly a blessing and not weird is: "Holy Spirit show me!" Don't speak in judgment with your mouth against it. If you already have, repent of it first, then as Him to show you. Really believe like He's gonna do it! You may "run into" some people you haven't met who will lead you into the experience. If your faith is there to receive now, go for it!

Upvote 0