Do any Christians think its wrong to fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2015
✟796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it depends how you fast, if you are actually using it as a slimming aid, to look pious in front of others or to force God in to answering your prayers or blessing you, yes it is wrong.
If you feel god has called you to fast to clear your mind and focus on him for an answer, i would say it's a good thing.

Upvote 0
A

aChildOfMary

smead has a line on the bottom of the page that says...

"Pray for us, o holy Mother of God, that we may be worthy of the promises of Christ."

Wow. That is so wrong on so many levels. Jesus is both human and Divine. Mary was the mother of the human part of Jesus only. The Divine part, (the second person of the Trinity) existed before the world began. So Mary did not bring the God part of Jesus into being. It is completely misleading to call her the "mother of God". That is total blasphemy and complete foolishness.

I don't know who is the fool around here, but Christ got forever changed after his incarnation.
He is and will always be 100 per cent God and 100 per cent man.
Until he got borned by The Blessed Virgin he was only God so he changed after the Incarnation, a change that lasts for all eternity.
So it's foolish not to refer to her as Theotokos as she is his human mother and that she is as much his mother as your mother is yours.

Also Mary called God her Savior. In Luke 1:47 Mary said... "My spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior." If Mary was not a sinner then why did she need a Savior?

I certainly don't need Mary to pray for Me when Jesus, who is God, is said to be our Great High Priest who prays for us and we are invited to come boldly to Him and pray to Him directly. (Hebrews 4:14-16) By praying to Mary, Catholics are saying that Jesus is insufficient for our needs. As if His work as a Mediator were not enough.

I know this subforum is non denominational, but when you lye about us and speak untruth I have to speak up!
We conterary to you belive Jesus when he says that those who believe in Him will live even though they have to die.
Of all righteous people who have passed on from this world there are non who doesn't live with Christ in heaven so when you say that people dying in a gracefilled relationship with God is dead you actually denies Christs power to resurrect from the dead.
Because every saint is living with God we can communicate with them through the one and only mediator which is Christ.

I'm sure you ask sinful christian brothers and sisters on earth to pray for you, it's the exact same thing.
The only difference is that they're close to God and in heaven where we're still on earth.
Close to God and righteous as they are, they pray for the world and for those who adress them with such petition.

So if you don't feel like you need anyone praying for you you're of course free to feel so, but having people praying for us is important and who is closer to Christ than his mother?, at least no human has ever been closer to him than her.

Finally, of course you can pray directly to Christ and you stated falsely that we don't.
We pray often to Christ and when we pray to Mary we actually glorify Christ because as we pray to Mary for interseccion we kindly ask her to pray on our behalf.
She may influent Christ, but never overrule him or anything.
She only talk our case so to speak.

Hebrews 7:25 We read... "Therefore He (Jesus) is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him (not Mary) since He always lives to make intersession for them (again Christ makes intersession for us... so we don't need Mary to intercede for us) Notice that it says that we can come to God through Christ (not Mary) and that Christ is able to save us to the UTTERMOST. That means that Christ does the job so completely that nothing more is needed. We certainly don't need Mary's help.

This is so typical really.
The easiest way and narrowest Way to salvation attitude.
Why is it so important to erase your family (the saints) and only communicate with your savior?
Christ is God, He suffered for our sake and He is the one who will return at his 2nd coming to separate the rightcous from the unrighteous.
No well informed Catholic has ever stated that Christ doesn't do the job?!
The difference between you and I is that I believe that Christ is alive and not a machine.
He can alter his decision based upon our prayers and the interseccion of the saints.
He is a personal God, he is passionate and alive, he is emotional aswell.
When I cry out to him he listens and may even change his view of me this also goes for Mary prayers for us.
He loves his mother very much (Her influence at Cana being a good example) and words coming from her lips reaches his heart in a great way.
It's not that we HAVE TO pray for her intercession it's rather that we want her to help our case when we fail to live accordingly to his teachings.

Mary needed a Savior. So we don't need a person to help us who needed a Savior herself. We need Jesus only. He is our Savior.

Yes Mary needed a Savior.
AGAIN please don't lye about us, I assume you consider speaking untruth is a sin as well?
Jesus is our ONLY Savior yes, Mary's and the other saints only influence him with their prayers nothing else.

If you are determined to lash out against the church you're free to do so, but please at least read up a bit beforehand will you?
You only come of as ignorant and bigoted when you falsely accuse us of things.

Pax Christi
aChildOfMary

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus is our ONLY Savior yes, Mary's and the other saints only influence him with their prayers nothing else.

Why is this necessary? Don't you see why you were trained to have this attitude? Your church teaches that laypeople need an intercessor for everything. You have to confess your sins to a man. You need a man to read the bible for you. You need a man deliver the seven sacraments. And you need men and women to "influence" Jesus for you.

He doesn't love you enough to hear you? Are you too far down on the chain of command for his open door policy to apply to you?

The mariolatry is just a symptom of the greater problem in the Roman church.

Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0
A

aChildOfMary

Why is this necessary? Don't you see why you were trained to have this attitude? Your church teaches that laypeople need an intercessor for everything. You have to confess your sins to a man. You need a man to read the bible for you. You need a man deliver the seven sacraments. And you need men and women to "influence" Jesus for you.

I'm not trained to anything, I'm a adult convert to Catholicism so your kinda far off.
Btw if you don't mind me turning the question around, why don't you care for interseccion?
Don't you allow yourself to pray for someone?
If you pray for me are you commiting idolatry?
if so, how?

I confess only to Christ, I confess venial sins as I see fit and mortal sins (severe sins) also to Christ, but through father.
You know that for the first 1500 years this was the Tradition right?
Both in the West RCC and the East EO, OO.
So you guys living in the last 400 - 500 finaly saw the light and decided to invent your own theology on the matter.

FYI I read in the Bible everyday so??
Based upon the heterodox teachings of other men you believe the opposite.

Again all prayers to Christ is a attempt to influence him isn't it?
isn't that the reason as for why we pray?
isn't it because we have an personal relationship with him?

He doesn't love you enough to hear you? Are you too far down on the chain of command for his open door policy to apply to you?

Don't you believe in the bible passage that says that where two persons or more are gathered in my name I'll be present? (Sorry for that I don't quote it, but I'm typing with my Galaxy and my English is horrible)
It's the same thing really, the only noticeable difference is that they are saints and not viewable in the same way as we on earth are

The mariolatry is just a symptom of the greater problem in the Roman church.

I see how you're trying to keep up the patronising style by being funny and refer to Mariology as mariolatry, Very funny...

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not trained to anything, I'm a adult convert to Catholicism so your kinda far off..

OK. One thing at a time then. Does your church tell you that laypersons need an intercessor? Can you skip confession and just go straight to God? Do you need to get Mary and the saints to intercede on your behalf?

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't you believe in the bible passage that says that where two persons or more are gathered in my name I'll be present? It's the same thing really, the only noticeable difference is that they are saints and not viewable in the same way as we on earth are

When it says "two or more gathered", it doesn't include the people who aren't physically present. That is a form of ancestor worship, commonly found in pagan cultures.

Upvote 0
A

aChildOfMary

OK. One thing at a time then. Does your church tell you that laypersons need an intercessor? Can you skip confession and just go straight to God? Do you need to get Mary and the saints to intercede on your behalf?

Need? No, while its highly encouraged and spiritually beneficial to venerate Mother Mary it's not ''uncatholic'' not to pray to her.
It's as I said voluntarily.
Christ gave his church a unique authority to loose and bind sins both in heaven and on earth so to obey the church as institution is just a prolonged way of obeying Christ who established his one church.
Confession is a part of the church and it's hierarchy and way of distributing the authority of Christ.

We define church entirely different than Protestants does.

When it says "two or more gathered", it doesn't include the people who aren't physically present. That is a form of ancestor worship, commonly found in pagan cultures.

How do you back up that statement?
do you think likewise about the liturgy of the hour?
is that praying alone too even though monasterys and clergy across the globe prays at the same time?
Since I cannot pray with them physically I'm praying alone because their miles away?

It illustrate the same phenomena as prayer with the saints and Mary.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The question was:

Does your church tell you that laypersons need an intercessor? Can you skip confession and just go straight to God?

Christ gave his church a unique authority to loose and bind sins both in heaven and on earth so to obey the church as institution is just a prolonged way of obeying Christ who established his one church.
Confession is a part of the church and it's hierarchy and way of distributing the authority of Christ.
Does the Roman Catholic Church allow a Catholic skip confessions to a Priest and only confess directly to God?

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Answer = see post 24

It seems like you are trying to be vague. Does the Roman Catholic Church require that you "go to confession with a Roman Catholic Priest"?

One would think that was a pretty clear and simple yes or no question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

aChildOfMary

It seems like you are trying to be vague. Does the Roman Catholic Church require that you "go to confession with a Roman Catholic Priest"?

One would think that was a pretty clear and simple yes or no question.

it wasn't my intention to be vague at all, I simply felt that I responded to your question already.

Anyway to be very specific, If I have comitted a severe sin (a grave sin according to the RCC catechism, with culpability and with full consent of the will) I'm required to seek confession before recieving communion.

I'm allowed to confess at all churches in communion with Rome.
This includes all of the Eastern churches aswell, such as the Melkits, Ukrainian Catholic, Greek Catholic etc aswell as of course the Latin Church.

I'm also allowed to recieve all of the sacraments in the Orthodox Church if I'm far from my nearest Catholic Church and/ or in case of emergency (such as deathbed etc).
This does not mean that the Orthodox Church feel likewise just to clarify that.
a Orthodox Priest are free to refuse this arrangement if he like, but IRL it's very rare that they refuse this in a case of emergency.

I hope this is detailed enough ;)

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it wasn't my intention to be vague at all, I simply felt that I responded to your question already.

Anyway to be very specific, If I have comitted a severe sin (a grave sin according to the RCC catechism, with culpability and with full consent of the will) I'm required to seek confession before recieving communion.

I'm allowed to confess at all churches in communion with Rome.
This includes all of the Eastern churches aswell, such as the Melkits, Ukrainian Catholic, Greek Catholic etc aswell as of course the Latin Church.

I'm also allowed to recieve all of the sacraments in the Orthodox Church if I'm far from my nearest Catholic Church and/ or in case of emergency (such as deathbed etc).
This does not mean that the Orthodox Church feel likewise just to clarify that.
a Orthodox Priest are free to refuse this arrangement if he like, but IRL it's very rare that they refuse this in a case of emergency.

I hope this is detailed enough ;)

So then you can not choose only to confess directly to God, bypassing a Priest, and remain a Catholic in good standing with your church? Because if you do not go through a Priest, you are denied communion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,748,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread is closed for staff review.

FOLKS, this is NOT the Catholic forum. The site rules include this:

Congregational Forum Restrictions and orthodox Christian Only Forums
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum. There are forums reserved for orthodox Christian members only. Please do not post in these forums unless you are truly a Nicene Creed, Trinitarian Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox doctrines, you may do so in the Unorthodox Doctrinal Discussion forum.
Please do not even respond to someone breaking that rule.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.