Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And can they cast out demons?
I was recently told that many protestants believe they have the power to cast out demons in themselves and others by speaking in tongues.
Must be a useful skill to have.

Yes , I knew a Catholic mother and son who regularly visited a couple Pentecostal churches I attended also I took in a Catholic man for a week who some time before was told before the day was out he would be dead due to his severe heart condition by his Dr . God had told a nurse at the hospital that some one would be healed , God grew him a new and big artery and he was as good as ever . The nurse had told the Dr and when he checked in on him said "you the one' and he got up and checked out of the hospital that day ... The man told his testimony to everyone and from that day and he was 100% no nonsense for Jesus . He was a very polite and thankful guest and scoured the neighborhood door to door inviting folks to the lay-revival . He had said it felt like a pendulem ax swinging back and forth through his heart as he confessed his sin while receiving his healing .. Also had a Baptist guest who was strong in the Lord but you could tell the Catholic guy had a big experience with God .

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
You're right, I forgot that one. It's been a long time since I attended a Pentecostal church so my memory is a bit fuzzy on some of the specifics.
All my input about this comes from the Catholic Charismatic Renewal not from any Pentecostal church .

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
All my input about this comes from the Catholic Charismatic Renewal not from any Pentecostal church .

And how old is that group and how did it start?

Edit:

Origins of the Renewal Movement
In search of a Spiritual experience, professors from Duquesne University, a Catholic university in Pittsburgh, attended the Congress of the Cursillo movement in August 1966. While visiting, they were introduced to the book entitled The Cross and the Switchblade, which emphasized the Holy Spirit and the Spirit’s charisms. This book became the focus of their studies and further led them to pursue the Holy Spirit.

In January 1967, professors Ralph Keifer and Patrick Bourgeois attended a prayer meeting where they ultimately received the baptism in the Holy Spirit. The following week, Keifer laid hands on other Duquesne professors, and they also had an experience with the Spirit. Then, in February, during a gathering at Duquesne University, more people asked Keifer to pray over them. This led to the event at the chapel where they too received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues, as well as many other students who were present in the chapel.[5] Keifer sent the news of this event to the University of Notre Dame, where a similar event later occurred, and the Renewal began to spread.[6]

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Interesting videos already posted but worth repeating......

This video of leaders of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal at a gathering with Pope John Paul II shows them singing (praying) in tongues , just over five and a half minutes into the video .

And Italian Catholics in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal praying in tongues over Pope Francis......

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Interesting videos already posted but worth repeating......

This video of leaders of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal at a gathering with Pope John Paul II shows them singing (praying) in tongues , just over five and a half minutes into the video .

And Italian Catholics in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal praying in tongues over Pope Francis......

They could be uttering anything!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then, in February, during a gathering at Duquesne University, more people asked Keifer to pray over them. This led to the event at the chapel where they too received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues, as well as many other students who were present in the chapel. Keifer sent the news of this event to the University of Notre Dame, where a similar event later occurred, and the Renewal began to spread.
I was in a pentecostal church near ND when that happened. The pastor got so upset that those darn catholics "got the Holy Ghost" that he declared the entire bible a pack of lies and quit the faith.

A couple of years later I attended one of the convocations there at ND and went back for a few more - the last one being 1974. I still have the program from the 74 one as it had a bunch of songs. I also used to have the 73 one, but it was damaged in a home flood we had 3 years ago.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Find me a pope that promotes speaking in tongues pre-1960s (Outside of claiming "St Peter" or the Apostolic era, if one's going to be persnickety). Anyone . . .

And their words on it.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Find me a pope that promotes speaking in tongues pre-1960s (Outside of claiming "St Peter" or the Apostolic era, if one's going to be persnickety). Anyone . . .

And their words on it.
Who was pope in the 1880s? At one of the conferences, Ralph Martin was talking about that, and said that pope had issued a paper to all the cardinals and arch bishops, directing them to pray for a "renewed Pentecost" within the Church. Is it a coincidence that in less than 20 years the Pentecostal movement breaks out?

I also find it interesting that the modern Messianic Movement started in the late 1880s with Orthodox rabbi Lichtenstein in Rumania and Chassidic rabbi Joseph Rabinowitz in Moscow. Since all the participants in Acts 2 were Jews, to renew a Pentecost required believing Jews to be extant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Pentecostalism is a heresy birthed outside. I'm talking about within the Church. Why would anyone go outside of the Church in order to do attempt or claim to being God's will. It's one thing to not know. It's a wholly different to purposefully fabricate one's own sect outside of the Church and religion Christ imparted to mankind.

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Linet Kihonge

Shalom
Aug 18, 2015
Nairobi
✟9,980.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks , all Catholics , as are all Christians , are charismatic , for as Christians we are totally dependent on the Holy Spirit and Its charisms .

I cannot speak for what is termed "The Charismatic Movement" outside of the Catholic Church because I know little of it and have had no experience of it .

All that I say is based on the Catholic Charismatic Renewal .

The Catholic Charismatic Renewal has been accepted and encouraged by all the popes except once since 1967......Pope Paul VI , Pope John Paul II , Pope Benedict and Pope Francis , the exception being Pope John Paul I whose short papacy is the obvious reason we know nothing of his thoughts on the Catholic Charismatic Renewal .

St Paul urges us , " Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption."

It grieves me that some can treat with disdain the charisms of the Holy Spirit , and can regard these gifts of the Spirit as just some objects of man's invention , to be used at one's whim and discarded as a fad when one's fancy for them has dissipated .

I have witnessed them first hand, and they were speaking from the Spirit of Truth. I once thought everyone was possessed during a revival until one of them declared most of the Christians were just bitter and needed to let the Holy Spirit work through them. I had never known the amount of bitterness and grudges I had held against my loved ones until that time. Amazingly, I left the meeting a new person, freed and freed indeed. :D I can bear witness for them, well as for the traditional, I can't say much about that because I have never been into it you know like knowing how the Holy Spirit works through Fathers, and the others etc. :D

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Still to be very wary as the members of the congregation, who are the only ones that can translate a message may be 'in on the act' so to speak. Those speaking a language of no origin could be uttering 'nothing'.

There's someone I know, who is now a grown man, but when he was ten or so he went to a church service - not his usual church - with his parents where someone was speaking in tongues. And after the service, the adults were discussing this and whether it had been appropriate etc. And he was listening to their conversation very very puzzled and eventually said, "Why is everyone so upset? She was just saying the Magnificat."

On further questioning, it turned out that while everyone else heard a language they didn't understand, he had heard this woman reciting, "My soul magnifies the Lord..." Which was how he discovered he had the gift of interpreting tongues.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Modern-day "Charismatic Movement" in the Catholic Church has it roots in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; where, so-called "Charismatic Catholics" got involved with Pentecostals from outside of the Church. The birth of the "Charismatic Renewal" has its origins outside of God's Church; hence, that should give pause to one. It's origins are not of the Church of God, whose soul is the Holy Ghost, but rather outside of it. Outside of the Body of Christ. This movement originates, was birthed from, and stems from heresy; ergo, can it really be of God?! Answer: No.

Find me a "Charismatic Catholic" movement or promotion of Speaking-in-Tongues pre-1960s by any orthodox Catholic bishop or Pope. I want a solid, reputable source. If you can do so, I will oblige and accept this as "genuine". Otherwise, this is just a novelty and more brouhaha from the New Religion, the New Order sect; more chaos from Modernism, the synthesis of all heresies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Modern-day "Charismatic Movement" in the Catholic Church has it roots in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; where, so-called "Charismatic Catholics" got involved with Pentecostals from outside of the Church. The birth of the "Charismatic Renewal" has its origins outside of God's Church; hence, that should give pause to one. It's origins are not of the Church of God, whose soul is the Holy Ghost, but rather outside of it. Outside of the Body of Christ. This movement originates, was birthed from, and stems from heresy; ergo, can it really be of God?! Answer: No.

Find me a "Charismatic Catholic" movement or promotion of Speaking-in-Tongues pre-1960s by any orthodox Catholic bishop or Pope. I want a solid, reputable source. If you can do so, I will oblige and accept this as "genuine". Otherwise, this is just a novelty and more brouhaha from the New Religion, the New Order sect; more chaos from Modernism, the synthesis of all heresies.
You do realize you're in the Liberal Catholic subforum, right? I doubt you will find many posters here who put a great deal of stock in the "pre-1960s Catholic teaching is better than more recent teachings" line of thinking.

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

Linet Kihonge

Shalom
Aug 18, 2015
Nairobi
✟9,980.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Why doesn't that sound like my Ishmaelites, (There's only One God Allah and His True Prophet Mohammed), your definition, (There's Only One God I AM and His True Church the RCC)!!! They are both stuck in old covenants

Now I wanted to share a testimony about the Holy Spirit filled CC but I just had to respond!!!

Upvote 0

Linet Kihonge

Shalom
Aug 18, 2015
Nairobi
✟9,980.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
NOTE OF CONCERN: The Holy Spirit doesn't move because He follows a particular way of doing things. He Moves as the LORD wills Him, What would happen, if the Spirit came upon a man in Namib Desert to preach the Gospel of Christ would he have defiled the "Church" and if So, "What would the Church do?" The Holy Spirit is not subject to any doctrine and even if the Church has His Spirit, it should never dictate where He should always be!!! :confused2: Now back to my testimony!!!

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You do realize you're in the Liberal Catholic subforum, right? I doubt you will find many posters here who put a great deal of stock in the "pre-1960s Catholic teaching is better than more recent teachings" line of thinking.
Eventually, I realised that . . .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.