Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
That's how it was in the church I grew up in. Some people had the gift of interpretation and they would translate the tongues when it happened.
exactly. tongues as a prophetic utterance is only done in public before witnesses, and is dependent upon the separate gift of interpretation. that is also done as a witness to those who don't believe.
tongues as a prayer language is done in praise to God alone, and thus needs no interpretation.

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Those are good points Colin re abuses.
For myself I have no desire whatsoever to speak in tongues again, and nowadays my prayer is always silent contemplation. God speaks to ME in that kind of prayer, and from that flows my poetry, which one of my priest friends has said is a gift of the Holy Spirit and I do that every single day, and it is put to good use, for the edufication of others. Mind you, this past week I have not been able to do it. But hopefully this week will be better.

I believe God is using me in this way because I am unable to do anything else.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It still does not say if it is good or evil that is speaking in tongues though. I would be very scared myself. How would you know that it is not from evil that the tongues is coming from?
I have run into a person speaking demonicly powered tongues once. It sounded very different from regular tongues.

I suppose the main way to tell the difference is from the gift of discernment.

Beyond that, I would just TRUST in the Lord:

Luke 11:13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?”

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would be very wary of 'speaking in tongues'.

I was, too. For a very very long time I was scared stiff and refused to use it.

For me, I have only prayed in tongues a small number of times. Looking back on it now, I suspect that part of it was God teaching me to trust Him; once I had got past that immense hurdle of letting go and letting the Spirit do His thing, I have very seldom felt the urge again. But at the time it became a huge thing, did I trust God or not? Was I going to demand to understand everything or could I just accept? I think for me personally it was good to learn that amount of trust.

Reactions: anjelica
Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Paidiske, I love what you said there.

I do not know why I did it. Everyone else was doing it, and I resisted for SO LONG, as was not really interested. What I saw happening around me put me off so much. Actions and ways of being did not match their said experience. It did not seem to produce good, but only competition, boasting, arrogance, heightened emotion, and a disparaging kind of behaviour towards those who did not do it. There was the elite group who did it, who were supposedly the more advanced Christians, and us ordinary ones who were not worthy of having the gift. You had to be advanced spiritually to receive it and it made you very special. I was never in that group and did not want to be. To me, Paul's words about love were far more inportant. I did not see love emanating from thesenpeople.

Upvote 0

Linet Kihonge

Shalom
Aug 18, 2015
Nairobi
✟9,980.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Oh no, the Charismatic Catholics are very powerful when it comes to their devotion in the Trinity. I know a sister who prayed a whole night for another lady to have HER shorter leg fully restored and she saw it grow full length (Dang') I KNOW!!! Anyway, no comment for the Charismatic Catholics and I think they are more robust in nature!!! :D

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since the OP talked about "casting out demons," I thought I would share this.

I was channel surfing yesterday afternoon and came across a show called "The Demon Files" on Destination America. Usually those kind of shows are all a bunch of junk masquerading as "science," so I just move on when I find them. For some reason I stopped and watched it. I was actually impressed.

The head guy is a retired NYPD officer and devout Catholic. He is not afraid to call a demon out in the name and authority of Jesus. He is also not afraid to tell people to renounce and repent from sinful behaviors that led to the demonization. How strange is that for a non-christian television station?

Reactions: Linet Kihonge
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Linet Kihonge

Shalom
Aug 18, 2015
Nairobi
✟9,980.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Since the OP talked about "casting out demons," I thought I would share this.

I was channel surfing yesterday afternoon and came across a show called "The Demon Files" on Destination America. Usually those kind of shows are all a bunch of junk masquerading as "science," so I just move on when I find them. For some reason I stopped and watched it. I was actually impressed.

The head guy is a retired NYPD officer and devout Catholic. He is not afraid to call a demon out in the name and authority of Jesus. He is also not afraid to tell people to renounce and repent from sinful behaviors that led to the demonization. How strange is that for a non-christian television station?

:fearscream: I'm so watching it!!!

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
And can they cast out demons?
I was recently told that many protestants believe they have the power to cast out demons in themselves and others by speaking in tongues.
Must be a useful skill to have.
Our pastor said that to speak in a tongue that one doesn't understand naturally or at all (one that one has never before used or understood) is a large indicator of demonic influence though perhaps not outright demonic possession.

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Our pastor said that to speak in a tongue that one doesn't understand naturally or at all (one that one has never before used or understood) is a large indicator of demonic influence though perhaps not outright demonic possession.

This seems right to me

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Oh dear, I just said I admired the Charismatic Catholics :)
Thanks , all Catholics , as are all Christians , are charismatic , for as Christians we are totally dependent on the Holy Spirit and Its charisms .

I cannot speak for what is termed "The Charismatic Movement" outside of the Catholic Church because I know little of it and have had no experience of it .

All that I say is based on the Catholic Charismatic Renewal .

The Catholic Charismatic Renewal has been accepted and encouraged by all the popes except once since 1967......Pope Paul VI , Pope John Paul II , Pope Benedict and Pope Francis , the exception being Pope John Paul I whose short papacy is the obvious reason we know nothing of his thoughts on the Catholic Charismatic Renewal .

St Paul urges us , " Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption."

It grieves me that some can treat with disdain the charisms of the Holy Spirit , and can regard these gifts of the Spirit as just some objects of man's invention , to be used at one's whim and discarded as a fad when one's fancy for them has dissipated .

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There are two different kinds of tongues, though. There's the kind where you speak a language you don't know and that is to evangelize (like happened in Acts on Pentecost). The other kind is not a real language (or at least not a known earthly language) to give testimony or prophecy and that only needs to be understood by certain members of the congregation who can translate the message for the whole congregation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
There are two different kinds of tongues, though. There's the kind where you speak a language you don't know and that is to evangelize (like happened in Acts on Pentecost). The other kind is not a real language (or at least not a known earthly language) to give testimony or prophecy and that only needs to be understood by certain members of the congregation who can translate the message for the whole congregation.

And there is the third gift when tongue speaking can also be a prayer of devotion: “A man who speaks in a tongue is talking not to men but to God. No one understands him because he utters mysteries in the Spirit” (1 Cor. 14:2).

Reactions: Tallguy88
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced

Still to be very wary as the members of the congregation, who are the only ones that can translate a message may be 'in on the act' so to speak. Those speaking a language of no origin could be uttering 'nothing'.

Can i ask a question?

Which group / denomination 'speak in tongues' more than any other Christian group?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And there is the third gift when tongue speaking can also be a prayer of devotion: “A man who speaks in a tongue is talking not to men but to God. No one understands him because he utters mysteries in the Spirit” (1 Cor. 14:2).
You're right, I forgot that one. It's been a long time since I attended a Pentecostal church so my memory is a bit fuzzy on some of the specifics.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced

He could be uttering stuff from the devil too! How would you know?

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
He could be uttering stuff from the devil too! How would you know?
I think Matthew 12:22-30 is relevant:

"22Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. 23And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?24But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

25And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: 26And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? 27And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children castthem out? therefore they shall be your judges. 28But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. 29Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

30He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.