• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Do any catholics speak in tongues?

Discussion in 'The Lord's Table - Liberal Catholics' started by Godlovesmetwo, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+27,746
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes I know. But my only experience with the crazy is in the protestant branches.

2. ewq1938

ewq1938 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,482
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Most do since most are literate and speak a native tongue. Many are multi-lingual. Some also speak Latin.

3. ewq1938

+4,482
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

Paul was talking about speaking in foreign languages not babbling.

4. Godlovesmetwo

Godlovesmetwo Fringe Catholic

+7,153
    Djibouti
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    CA-Others
    No I wasn't. :)

5. ewq1938

+4,482
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

You weren't but please tell us what you think the other Paul was talking about when he spoke of unknown tongues and how that he spoke more tongues than the others.

6. Godlovesmetwo

+7,153
    Djibouti
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    CA-Others
    I don't know. I'm not familiar enough with interpreting that part of scripture. And a lot of other parts of scripture too.

7. ewq1938

+4,482
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

Ever hear this so called "speaking in tongues" before? What did you think of it?

8. Godlovesmetwo

+7,153
    Djibouti
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    CA-Others
    the phrase yes but not what it actually means.

9. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic Supporter

+9,947
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    i have heard them spoken in the assembly by one person and have heard the message given and confirmed by a second person.
    and while it's not a gift that i operate in on a regular basis, I have heard a message given and have been given the understanding of the translation. but the full translation was given to another person at the same time, and they were the ones who in turn spoke it to the assembly.
    At that time i was given enough of the message to confirm the main points for my personal knowledge, but not so much that I was also tasked with the telling forth.

10. ewq1938

+4,482
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican

I meant the actual "speaking" of it.

11. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+27,746
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  12. tadoflamb

tadoflamb no identificado

+7,256
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    I've been meditating on this one all day and all I can say is wow.

My friend who speaks in tongues has a tendency to expand the scriptures in a way I hadn't seen before as well.

13. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Supporter

+7,649
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    That's how it was in the church I grew up in. Some people had the gift of interpretation and they would translate the tongues when it happened.

14. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,856
    Catholic
    Single
    you do make some interesting points about the infallible nature of the Church and the idea of a type of falling away

you question speaking in tongues, which has a questionable history
    but you also question exorcism, that has a VERY strong history in the Catholic Church

we can go back to Tertullian and Origen to see references to exorcisms (even exorcisms done by members of the laity)

15. Colin

Colin Senior Veteran

+6,857
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    UK - SNP
    Tongue speaking can also be a prayer of devotion: “A man who speaks in a tongue is talking not to men but to God. No one understands him because he utters mysteries in the Spirit” (1 Cor. 14:2). “Talking to God” defines prayer pretty accurately. Notice that in this case the language does not appear to be an intelligible one. St. Paul tells us some of the characteristics of this type of prayer. Even though the one praying does not understand the words he utters (1 Cor 14:2, 13), nevertheless this activity does him good (1 Cor. 14:4). It is a kind of prayer that leaves the intellect in neutral, so to speak (1 Cor 14:14), allowing for the deeper levels of the human spirit to express praise to God by the Holy Spirit and a yearning for His presence. Since it is true prayer that strengthens the individual, St. Paul is thankful that he speaks in tongues, and he wants everyone to have the gift (1 Cor. 14:5, 18, 39). He carefully warns, however, that it confers no badge of privilege. It has value only in relation to love, without which the tongues of men and angels are mere clanging cymbals (1 Cor 13:1).

16. anjelica

anjelica Well-Known Member

+3,302
    Catholic
    Private
    It is all very interesting. I believe that there is a lot of good in it but that it can so easily get out of control. This was my experience and also the experience of others in other towns. I think we and the Church needs to be aware of and alert to its dangers. The Catholic Church that I spoke of is the one where I have been going lately, and there are still many charismatics in it. Many fall down slain in the Spirit as they say, but not in Mass. It is under control now, but it did get horribly out of hand at one time. I don't like the emotionalism of it, but peoplempraying in tongues in their own private devotionsnis another matter entirely. I think that Paul says he would rather have love than the gift of to gues.

17. anjelica

anjelica Well-Known Member

+3,302
    Catholic
    Private
    Colin, you and I,posted at the same time, so I had not read what you said.

I too have had this experience, but it was many years ago, and yes, it is kind of like prayer when words fail you. Like in adoration of God or a kind of yearning for Him. He interprets us as we pray in this way and knows the depthsof our hearts. It says something like this in Romans 8 too. About not praying in words but even in groans. God knows what iur spirit is saying.

Because of my bad experience of the Zcharismatic Movement I would avoid it now. But yes, I too have spoken in tongues in the distant past.

18. Colin

Colin Senior Veteran

+6,857
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    UK - SNP
    I suggest , Anjelica , that you renew this gift of prayer and thank God that He has given it to you .

19. Godlovesmetwo

+7,153
    Djibouti
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    CA-Others
    You definitely make it sound more appealing now Colin. I see parallels to contemplative and meditative prayer.

20. Colin

Colin Senior Veteran

+6,857
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    UK - SNP
    I can only speak for myself Paul , but I know millions of Catholics in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal who would agree when I say that it works for me .

Of course there are abuses .

There are abuses in the Liturgy .

There are abuses in how some pray the Rosary .

There are abuses in how some priests "run" their parishes .

No doubt there are abuses in every sphere of Catholic Tradition .

That's life , but we don't chuck the whole thing out because some abuse it .

We reform and renew it under the guidance of the Spirit .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.