Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
This is why we see no miracles in our present day people have no faith. People dont even believe in Gods gift..the gifts he gives to his believers.

Nonsense. People didn't believe back during the Apostolic era, either. That's why they were used! To convert the unconverted; to make the unbeliever believe.

Truth remains true whether you believe it's true or not; that's what objective truth is.

Raise someone from the dead, heal someone for all to see, you know, not much people can do to dispute that.

In Biblical times, to heal a leper -- someone with very obvious physical deformities -- was a good way of demonstrating miraculous power. Do we see that today with 'healers'? Do we see them take someone that is famous, is known to have a physical deformity and is perhaps known for their physical deformity, and healed them? No. What about someone whose body is scarred permanently by burns? No. What about someone maimed by the weapons of war? No.

See where I'm going with this? People don't believe because they aren't being shown anything. 'Healing' someone's unseen ailment on a TV show broadcast to a captive audience is a joke and the sort of people that do it are not Christian at all. They're shepherding people through the wide gate.

The gifts served to make the unbelievable believable. That's why people don't believe today, because there's no good reason or example to make them believe.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nonsense. People didn't believe back during the Apostolic era, either. That's why they were used! To convert the unconverted; to make the unbeliever believe.
Exactly, they were signs of the Lord and His apostles. They were not meant for us to believe in physical healing, but that we would believe in Jesus himself and eternal life. Nowadays we hear the word and believe. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word.

John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

• Agree
Reactions: High Fidelity
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
It would be interesting to find out from him by WHAT"authority" he claims such a thing.

The authority of the scriptures and of the apostles.

Apparently, Waggles, Mr. Engley doesn't know a whole lot about fruits of the Spirit, and therefore he speaks of what he knows little about.

I mention "Authority" because it behooves us to know by WHOSE Authority we "speak" in any manner, including when claiming that speaking in "tongues" is THE sign of being "saved"/filled with the living God's Holy Spirit.

There are witnesses to those claiming to "speak in tongues" who were speaking Satanic utterings.

We are to "test" ALL things.

• Agree
Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I heard a healing preacher on TV say that if you have the Holy Spirit you will speak in tongues. He said its the evidence of the holy spirit. Any comments are welcome.

A similar thing must have been said by someone in the Church at Corinth during St. Pauls life time his teaching on that can be found in 1Cor. 12:4-11.

4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the discernment of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are activated by one and the same Spirit, who allots to each one individually just as the Spirit chooses.

The Holy Bible: New Revised Standard Version (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1989), 1 Co 12:4–11.

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Some "tongues" spoken are demonic.
Whether any tongues spoken in this world are demonic - I'm not prepared to say - even if they are tongues spoken by admitted non-believers in Jesus Christ.

But true believers do not need to worry that they will receive a rock or a snake, much less a demon, when they ask God for the Holy Spirit.

Whether all believers who manage to say some supposed words they don't understand are speaking something from the Holy Spirit as opposed to something out of the flesh, however, is another matter.

I believe it is often the case that it is the legitimate biblical tongues being spoken. This happens, IMO, because of the widespread teaching in many charismatic churches that those who are "baptized in the Holy Spirit" must speak in tongue as an evidence of such.

I do believe that there is an element of faith involved in "praying in the Spirit". Because it is said in the scriptures to be something we must do out of our own will, that kind of tongues is exercised by faith.

But there are other tongues, such as those we often see on display on television where it is, IMO, something done purely out of the flesh of the individual.

If all Christians would simply heed the admonition of the Lord given in the scriptures not to speak out loud unless there is legitimate interpretation available - there would be no problem at all with any tongues and certainly not with the private practice of tongues.

I will say, however, that there will always be those among us who feel it is their God given duty to undermine the faith of those who practice tongues - even in private.

I wouldn't say that it is always the case. But, IMO, many of those kinds of critics are doing it out of pride themselves.

I.e. if it were real they themselves would be doing it since they are so knowledgeable concerning the scriptures or holy in their own eyes when it comes to their personal walk with the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Strange.. haha.. I just had a dream about tongues. I do not get tons of dreams.. would love to HELLO FATHER! Jesus told them to wait. Where there just 12? No 120 right? Jesus.. that only said what He heard the Father say.. if you being evil know how to give good gifts to you children.. how much more.. STOP THERE. Did we miss this? YOU know how to give good gifts to your Children.. and the Father is what? A word "Father"? Or your REAL Father..Abba? God to Israel some time and watch the kids.. run around saying "ABBA, ABBA".

So.. if you ask He will give the Holy Spirit to them that ask. And Jesus did what He told us to do. He asked the Father for the what? Promise. And they shall receive power after?

So in this dream a group was praying asking and.. they stopped because nothing happen. In the dream I said.. can God lie? The guy looked at me "what"? I said can God lie? Then just read it..and believe.

This was written not by a Baptist or Word of Faith or Catholic. You just read it.. and can God lie? If GOD is who He said He was.. then He will be faithful will do what He said. In ALL the times we are not faithful. Just believe. Yes.. tongues I believe if for all. I watched a show on TV when there was only 3 channels. A preacher MANY know..said something that never gets said when SOME talk about him "if you dont believe in speaking in Tongues.. praise GOD!.. its like yeah yeah yeah.. what ever.. WHERES JESUS? Thats what matters. I will say this.. I can not imagine what live would be like with out it.. I just did what that book says.. I asked.. and it happen the same day.with in min.. I did nothing lol.. was awesome.. Thank you Father for always being faithful

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Strange.. haha.. I just had a dream about tongues. I do not get tons of dreams.. would love to HELLO FATHER! Jesus told them to wait. Where there just 12? No 120 right? Jesus.. that only said what He heard the Father say.. if you being evil know how to give good gifts to you children.. how much more.. STOP THERE. Did we miss this? YOU know how to give good gifts to your Children.. and the Father is what? A word "Father"? Or your REAL Father..Abba? God to Israel some time and watch the kids.. run around saying "ABBA, ABBA".

So.. if you ask He will give the Holy Spirit to them that ask. And Jesus did what He told us to do. He asked the Father for the what? Promise. And they shall receive power after?

So in this dream a group was praying asking and.. they stopped because nothing happen. In the dream I said.. can God lie? The guy looked at me "what"? I said can God lie? Then just read it..and believe.

This was written not by a Baptist or Word of Faith or Catholic. You just read it.. and can God lie? If GOD is who He said He was.. then He will be faithful will do what He said. In ALL the times we are not faithful. Just believe. Yes.. tongues I believe if for all. I watched a show on TV when there was only 3 channels. A preacher MANY know..said something that never gets said when SOME talk about him "if you dont believe in speaking in Tongues.. praise GOD!.. its like yeah yeah yeah.. what ever.. WHERES JESUS? Thats what matters. I will say this.. I can not imagine what live would be like with out it.. I just did what that book says.. I asked.. and it happen the same day.with in min.. I did nothing lol.. was awesome.. Thank you Father for always being faithful
Doesnt paul teach us that God gives gifts differently as He wills? Do all have the gift of tongues? No.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Truth remains true whether you believe it's true or not; that's what objective truth is.

Raise someone from the dead, heal someone for all to see, you know, not much people can do to dispute that.

In Biblical times, to heal a leper -- someone with very obvious physical deformities -- was a good way of demonstrating miraculous power. Do we see that today with 'healers'? Do we see them take someone that is famous, is known to have a physical deformity and is perhaps known for their physical deformity, and healed them? No. What about someone whose body is scarred permanently by burns? No. What about someone maimed by the weapons of war? No.

See where I'm going with this? People don't believe because they aren't being shown anything. 'Healing' someone's unseen ailment on a TV show broadcast to a captive audience is a joke and the sort of people that do it are not Christian at all. They're shepherding people through the wide gate.

The gifts served to make the unbelievable believable. That's why people don't believe today, because there's no good reason or example to make them believe.
But even Jesus said there were some places he couldnt do miracles in because of the peoples unbelief.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But even Jesus said there were some places he couldnt do miracles in because of the peoples unbelief.
There are times that the Lord healed because of disbelief.

Matthew 9:4 But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts? 5 For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise and walk’? 6 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—then He said to the paralytic, “Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” 7 And he arose and departed to his house.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
Some "tongues" spoken are demonic.
Whether any tongues spoken in this world are demonic - I'm not prepared to say - even if they are tongues spoken by admitted non-believers in Jesus Christ.

But true believers do not need to worry that they will receive a rock or a snake, much less a demon, when they ask God for the Holy Spirit.

Whether all believers who manage to say some supposed words they don't understand are speaking something from the Holy Spirit as opposed to something out of the flesh, however, is another matter.

I believe it is often the case that it is the legitimate biblical tongues being spoken. This happens, IMO, because of the widespread teaching in many charismatic churches that those who are "baptized in the Holy Spirit" must speak in tongue as an evidence of such.

I do believe that there is an element of faith involved in "praying in the Spirit". Because it is said in the scriptures to be something we must do out of our own will, that kind of tongues is exercised by faith.

But there are other tongues, such as those we often see on display on television where it is, IMO, something done purely out of the flesh of the individual.

If all Christians would simply heed the admonition of the Lord given in the scriptures not to speak out loud unless there is legitimate interpretation available - there would be no problem at all with any tongues and certainly not with the private practice of tongues.

I will say, however, that there will always be those among us who feel it is their God given duty to undermine the faith of those who practice tongues - even in private.

I wouldn't say that it is always the case. But, IMO, many of those kinds of critics are doing it out of pride themselves. I.e. if it were real they themselves would be doing it since they are so holy and knowledgeable concerning the scriptures and holy in heir personal walk with the Lord - in their own eyes .

The living God is not a God of confusion. As it is written, ALL things must be done in an "orderly" fashion. What we have here is the "flesh" wanting its own way, and wanting "signs" and not caring where the utterings, etc. are generating from. As mentioned earlier in this thread, confusion, babblings coming from every direction in a congregation, and barking, laughing, and rolling on the floor, etc. is NOT of the living God.

• Winner
Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I heard a healing preacher on TV say that if you have the Holy Spirit you will speak in tongues. He said its the evidence of the holy spirit. Any comments are welcome.
As someone who started speaking in tongues without being told that I had to, or what it was, this is totally the wrong focus.
Any gift we are given from God whether it is listed in the bible or not is to be used to edify the body of Christ, and help those around us. People taking a sign as "evidence" usually have an ulterior motive like proving some heresy to be true because of these signed testimonies of miraculous healings performed for example.
Any gift can be used for personal gain, but Godliness with contentment is gain, choose your reward.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So you think my gift is demonic? Though I havent been subject myself to anytjing like that..like the occult
What happened then?
read his books and read them over and over and over. all the books ended up telling me it's my fault and not believing in thier je$u$. 40 years later I learned all the tricks behind this cause I wanted to know the real truths. It turn out to be a simple vibration that does things to the body and causes some to make vocal bursts. like almost falling asleep but you jurk right back up. stuff like that and folks are right, those kinds of demonic tongues are in other occults all over the world. guys aren't smart enough to know the real natural physics behind it all. lower level folks who thinks the earth is flat or the moon will fall on them. anything to make profit is the real goal and they did make lots of $$$. they preach another Je$u$. sort of right about blasphemy. real Christians know what real demons do. when I tell the truths about it, I ended being kicked out. they don't want to hear it.

Reactions: Emli and W2L
Upvote 0