Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
In 1 Corinthians 14 Paul declares, "I want you all to speak in tongues" and "I thank God that I speak in tongues more than you all." His preference for the gift of prophecy in no way undermines the validity of his wish for the church. In fact, Paul adds, "you can all prophesy one by one." So every believe can in principle both speak in tongues and prophesy simply because of their possession of the Holy Spirit. This insight informs the right interpretation of Paul's questions in 1 Corinthians 12: Not everyone speaks in tongues or prophesies in actual fact. But Paul is not defining what is normative by these questions: he is simply observing actual patterns in his churches. Perhaps many have not sought this gift or are not spiritually open to it or ready for it. But the gift of tongues is theoretically a gift available to every believer.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tongues is a very rare gift. With that said avoid Earnest like the plague. Hes a false preacher. On top of that his ministry/church has forced people into getting abortions, vasectomies and forcing people to show their genitals to others.

Upvote 0

Purity Clarity Parkes

Jun 4, 2017
Melbourne
✟15,369.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I tend to speak in tongues, however, my main feild tends to be spiritual sight. I can see angels, demons and the divine power. All people blessed with the Holy Spirit have different gifts, yet all are able to feel God communicating to them through one way or another.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I heard a healing preacher on TV say that if you have the Holy Spirit you will speak in tongues. He said its the evidence of the holy spirit. Any comments are welcome.
You don't necessarily speak in tongues even if you have the Holy Spirit. It is not even the greatest gift according to Paul. It comes last after administrations in his list:

And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts. (1 Corinthians 12:28-31 NASB)

On the other hand, someone who appears to be speaking in tongues may not necessarily have the Holy Spirit.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God (1 John 4:1 NASB)

Upvote 0

Grandliseur

Nov 15, 2017
Naha
✟10,561.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I heard a healing preacher on TV say that if you have the Holy Spirit you will speak in tongues. He said its the evidence of the holy spirit. Any comments are welcome.
Totally disagree. Speaking in tongues was one of the lesser gifts and it stopped being given once the apostles and disciples around the apostles died. It was given by means of the apostles laying of hands on a person after baptism, and God chose which gift each was to have. Once the apostles had died, there was none who could do the laying of hands with a gift left any longer.

This is indicated by scripture, though, all things may be subject to interpretation.
Some of the present speaking of tongues has been related to things that do not come from God.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The short answer is not every one will have the gift of tongues. First, to speak in tongues is to speak another language that one did not study or had no prior knowledge. The reason of the gift in my opinion was to spread the message of the gospel in the early church. The list Paul gives in 1 Cor 12:29-31 is interesting because the English is vague where the Greek is clear. There is an untranslated particle in the Greek μη (may) which used to start a question the answer is a always no.

So yes, I deny that everyone has the gift of tongues because Paul denies that everyone has the gift of tongues. The doctrine of tongues as stated by the TV preacher is not found nor in accord with scripture.

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Speaking in tongues as it is heard today in packed out venues with people writhing on the floor, falling over, uttering utter 'gibberish' is just a 'modern' thing!' It's showmanship, its, 'look at me', its far far from what the Apostles did.

God will be the judge of what is so called 'tongues' in this modern world.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Tongues is a very rare gift. With that said avoid Earnest like the plague. Hes a false preacher. On top of that his ministry/church has forced people into getting abortions, vasectomies and forcing people to show their genitals to others.

:OOOOOO...abortions, vasectomies, and genitals oh my!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
saddens me to read this topic.
bentov_torus.gif

When the gel like brain bounces in a rhythm for a certain time, bio electrical currents flows in a pattern in the brain. that pattern creates a sensation starting at the top of head, moves down to vocal throat and on down to the toes. you babble. GET OVER IT !!
more at Itzhak Bentov - Stalking the Wild Pendulum - On the Mechanics of Consciousness

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You don't necessarily speak in tongues even if you have the Holy Spirit. It is not even the greatest gift according to Paul. It comes last after administrations in his list:

And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts. (1 Corinthians 12:28-31 NASB)

On the other hand, someone who appears to be speaking in tongues may not necessarily have the Holy Spirit.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God (1 John 4:1 NASB)

That is a good point. A brother testified that he has witnessed some speaking in "demonic" tongues.

• Agree
Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No one does. 'Healing' preachers are con artists that prey on the gullible, weak and captive audience that truly want to believe what they're saying.

If he was truly blessed with the gift of healing, do you really think God would have him all glammed up on a TV show with a scrolling donation number, or would God rather have him out on the street preaching the word and using his gift adding weight to the claim and proof(like in the bible)?

'Tongues' is not active in today's world.
That's not true many can speak in tongues, I do myself.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Reactions: Bluerose31
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tongues is a useless gift if there is no interpreter. In the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

1 Corinthians 14:13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding. 16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say? 17 For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified.

18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; 19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. 2

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong so.........

Not me, and I really don't know, but that would not surprise me.

When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken.

Exactly, and funny thing...doesn't ever sound like my language, but that "sombody" you mention seems to explain that away with... "it's the language of Angels and no man can understand it", interestingly enough, making it unprovable as to it meaning something or not....how convenient.

So real or not is the question? I tend towards not real and claim tricky tactics to make it appear real. What would be the point of a language no one can understand, but for someone to claim it's the Holy spirit, or make some look, feel holy? And after all, no one can prove it's not the holy spirit because no on can understand it...lol, sorry, that's just too much for me not to laugh at.

At the time, tongues had a good purpose, and was a miracle, today, it'a miracle how anyone can believe something they can't even understand has anything to do with our God, who is NOT a God of confusion.

Upvote 0