• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Do all speak in tongues?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by W2L, Nov 25, 2017.

1. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+9,225
    Christian
    Private
    I heard a healing preacher on TV say that if you have the Holy Spirit you will speak in tongues. He said its the evidence of the holy spirit. Any comments are welcome.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Neal of Zebulun

Neal of Zebulun Active Member

+127
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul mentions that there are many gifts of the Holy Spirit, and that not everyone gets the same gift. Speaking in tongues is considered one such gift.

So the answer is no, if you have the Holy Spirit you won't necessarily speak in tongues.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,923
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    No one does. 'Healing' preachers are con artists that prey on the gullible, weak and captive audience that truly want to believe what they're saying.

If he was truly blessed with the gift of healing, do you really think God would have him all glammed up on a TV show with a scrolling donation number, or would God rather have him out on the street preaching the word and using his gift adding weight to the claim and proof(like in the bible)?

'Tongues' is not active in today's world.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  4. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,600
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    I heard a Baptist preacher decades ago explain that the gift of speaking in tongues was only intended for the Apostolic years. I do not know how widespread his view might be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+9,225
    Christian
    Private
    I agree.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+9,225
    Christian
    Private
    Thanks for the reply.

7. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+99,320
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    I suspect if questioned, this preacher would either get "tongue-tied" or defensive, because i suspect he cannot base what he said on Anything having to do with the living God. I would also suggest closely observing this preacher regarding any hints of the fruits of the spirit and if they are at all present, and his responses when challenged with legitimate questions re: "speaking in tongues", etc.

8. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+9,225
    Christian
    Private
    Thanks. :)

9. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+9,225
    Christian
    Private
    The preacher seems to lack understanding of the gifts.

• List
  10. brinny

+99,320
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Yet he promotes and says that speaking in tongues is evidence of being saved and/or being filled with the Holy Spirit?

Secondarily, an interesting question to ask him would be "who or what authorized him to say that"?

11. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+9,225
    Christian
    Private
    Yes. He clearly stated that speaking in tongues is the evidence that one has the Holy Spirit

12. brinny

+99,320
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    It would be interesting to find out from him by WHAT "authority" he claims such a thing.

13. Bluerose31

Bluerose31 Christian Flower Supporter

+6,527
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That is a sign of the Holy Spirit. I think you can also have the Holy Spirit without speaking in tongues.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. brinny

+99,320
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Who is this preacher, if you don't mind me asking?

15. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+9,225
    Christian
    Private
    He was saying that all believers have the gift of tongues, but thats not true.

16. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+9,225
    Christian
    Private
    Earnest Angly

• List
  17. Bluerose31

Bluerose31 Christian Flower Supporter

+6,527
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Oh I see. Thank you for clarifying that.

18. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+9,225
    Christian
    Private
    You're welcome.

19. salt-n-light

salt-n-light Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,069
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    "Healing preacher" gives me so many red flags. So many words, considering I've been growing up in a Pentecostal church, so I'll keep it short...

Tongues in the bible means languages. There's an order to it, and its there to serve the unbelievers as oppose to prophesies, which serves the believers. It served in the bible, for example, as a sign for the Jews. So yes, tongues in the bible served as a sign for the Jews that the Holy Spirit is present during that time. Tongues if it does still exist, suppose to be a sign for unbelievers who have a different tongue than the believer, with a interpreter present.Its like being a native English speaker, the Holy Spirit allow me to speak in french(although I have no knowledge of speaking the language) to reach to a French unbeliever to bring them to Christ, with an interpreter present.

Speaking in another language is not chaotic, and there's no confusion about it. There is purpose if it does come. From my experience, I've never seen it used properly. Its always chaotic, its never use to bring someone to Christ, and there's never an interpreter present. So personally, I've have my doubts that it still exist.

The truest sign of evidence of the Holy Spirit are the fruits of the Spirit. The sign that so many Pentecostals (because im pretty sure the preacher is) need to be seeking, is on the fruits, and those fruits can only come through Godly wisdom that is reveal in the Word and guided by the Holy Spirit. They tend to seek supernatural signs and forsake discernment.

Sigh.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. brinny

+99,320
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution