Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Just because God does His part in forgiving all people does not mean forgiveness takes place, God is like the King in the parable of the ungrateful servant. Matt. 18:

The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant
23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold[h] was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.
26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.
28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.
29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’
30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.
32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.
35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”
So he who is forgiven much doesn't love much, as you earlier stated.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
These people, like me, were going along, enemies of God. Unable to please God in their state (see Romans 8:8) yet, out of the blue, just decided to follow Christ, but nothing caused this. That is essentially what many in this thread have stated. Or, they take credit for being the cause.

Romans 10:17
17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
They had a bleeding heart wanting repair, if they got a new heart prior to Acts 2:38 there would be no need to accept God's forgiveness.
Where is that in the text?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
They had a bleeding heart wanting repair, if they got a new heart prior to Acts 2:38 there would be no need to accept God's forgiveness.
Why not? Would they not still be under the condemnation of sin?

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And I have to wonder how much God really loves them.

There is a consensus that God loves everyone, but does the bible actually say that? Seems to me he was pretty angry with some at times, and there are those that seem to say God loved all people all the time no matter what their sin, and so on and so forth, but is that really true? It just sounds a little too "happy place/wishful thinking" to me.

But it may be he does, and for the moment I'll assume people have a reason for believing that, and maybe someone can show me where that's biblical?

Romans 9:13 - "As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated."

God loves the sinner but hates the sin? Is that in scripture? This is just one I ran across that more than suggests otherwise..

Hosea 9:15 - "All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house, I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters."

All that said, we are to love our brother and of course God loves all that truly love him. Also, I have my doubts God hates everyone who does not love him, but some? apparently so.
I've always been conflicted on this issue I've always and still do learn towards the god hates sinners but only sinners who reach a certian level though. THose sinners he hates such as the ones in the scriptures you mention weren't making an effort to seek god or acknowledge him in any way and we're just filthy as can be. He is willing and able however to reach and show love to a sinner that is seeking truth and trying to get saved though, he says draw nigh unto me and I will draw unto you. now the idea of just hate the sin ironically comes from
Gaundi supoosidly but yeah it's not biblical that god never hated an indidivual who was so deep in sin. But yeah in the end I believe the hate is just shown towards Sinners that have reached a certian level. We even see in scripture how gods anger is released on a city or group of people only once they get to a certian point.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God's hate doesn't preclude God's love.
Merciful Truth : Does God Hate You, Sinner?

Another man's opinion of scripture, that simply does not override scripture that conflicts with his view.

Show where God loves everyone is Biblical? I have, numerous times.

John 3:16 - God loves "the world". No one has yet substantiated any claim that "the world" excludes some people.

1 John 4:8 & 16 - twice John says, "God is love." If God *IS* love, then by definition He loves everyone.

Yet there is still this and verses like it:

Hosea 9:15 - "All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house, I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters."

Now what? :)

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Just because God does His part in forgiving all people does not mean forgiveness takes place, God is like the King in the parable of the ungrateful servant. Matt. 18:

The man was forgiven in that parable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Judas felt some guilt. Quite a bit actually. Enough to kill himself. . . but not repent.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've always been conflicted on this issue I haven't yet chosen a side myself but I've always and still do learn towards the god hates sinners but only sinners who reach a certian level. those sinners he hates such as the ones in the scriptures you mention weren't making an effort to seek god or acknowledge him in any way.

Still looking into it myself, and I tend to agree with all you say there. there is just too much in the bible to directly support it, and once we look closely, not enough to support that God does not hate, abhor, or despise, some people.

• Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Still looking into it myself, and I tend to agree with all you say there. there is just too much in the bible to directly support it, and once we look closely, not enough to support that God does not hate, abhor, or despise, some people.
I agree that's why I for sure can't say god doesn't hate some sinners. Romans 1:16-28 shows an example of what happens to people that are just too far gone and deep in sin for example. We see a lot of examples of this in Jeremiah also. I just believe you have to reach a certian point I don't believe it's just something god feels to all sinners because we are all born in sin and shapeth in inequity when we start out in this world. Based off examples of people who he stated he hated you have to reach a certian level and ignore gods warnings a certian amount of times but that's just me

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree that's why I for sure can't say god doesn't hate some sinners. Romans 1:16-28 shows an example of what happens to people that are just too far gone and deep in sin for example. We see a lot of examples of this in Jeremiah also

Those were my thoughts when I mentioned God doesn't hate all those who don't belong to him. In every single case, in the scripture I ran across in my brief search, he was hating on people who pushed him to a limit.

• Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So he who is forgiven much doesn't love much, as you earlier stated.
You are hung up on one word that has two meanings as Matt. 18: 21-35 points out. Being forgiven is not the same as God forgiving you. Being forgiven can mean the forgiver did His/her part in forgiving you and forgiven can mean the whole transaction of forgiveness was completed, the person was forgiven and humbly accepted the forgiveness as charity. Again this comes out of Matt. 18: 21-35

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You are hung up on one word that has two meanings as Matt. 18: 21-35 points out. Being forgiven is not the same as God forgiving you. Being forgiven can mean the forgiver did His/her part in forgiving you and forgiven can mean the whole transaction of forgiveness was completed, the person was forgiven and humbly accepted the forgiveness as charity. Again this comes out of Matt. 18: 21-35
Didn't the man receive forgiveness? It says his debt was cancelled.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Judas felt some guilt. Quite a bit actually. Enough to kill himself. . . but not repent.

How do you mean "repent" there?

Repent to me is to be sorry for/confess ones sin and stop doing it as a habit. He certainly stopped doing it, and his actions showed him to be about as sorry for it as anyone can possibly be.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, he was brought to his senses, yet refused to accept God/Christ's forgiveness as pure charity. This might have happen to other on the day of Pentecost, you need more than just a bleeding heart provided by God, you need to accept His forgiveness.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
How do you mean "repent" there?

Repent to me is to be sorry for/confess ones sin and stop doing it as a habit. He certainly stopped doing it, and his actions showed him to be about as sorry for it as anyone can possibly be.

Remorse isn't the same thing as repentance (by a biblical definition), which means a turning around.

"Repentance in Christianity means a sincere turning away, in both the mind and heart, from self to God. It involves a change of mind that leads to action--the turning away from a sinful course to God." What Does Repentance Truly Mean?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Didn't the man receive forgiveness? It says his debt was cancelled.
Again forgiveness can mean just the forgiver's part or the completed transaction. The forgiveness (canceling of the debt) was on the table so to speak, but the servant refused to pick it up.
We know the transaction of forgiveness did not take place or the servant would have had automatically an unbelievable huge Love since he was forgiven of an unbelievable huge debt and certainly would not have found another servant of the master and treated him totally un-lovingly. Also, the servant would not in the end owe the master anything if the forgiveness transaction had been completed.

Upvote 0