Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Now you say that His love changed you first. Shall I copy and paste your other answers? I'm not performing an act. I'm trying to understand what you POV is, and it's been a bit tough to nail down.

Your salvation is based upon: "I got saved because of my deaiscion to do all I can to love him back."
No dude... like you can't be that dense man. You for some reason thought I was saying gods love wasn't always there but what I told you I was saying was that my love for god wasn't always there. So I decided I would do all I can to love him back because he first loved me.. now the reason I used the word strive is because you can't truly love him back until you're saved obeying his commandments. I simply repented in my hotel room that night but I didn't get saved there. At the convention I mentioned during a service I received the Holy Spirit and from then on started obeying his commandments.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Not entirely sure I understand the question.

We know people are born in sin, and thus separated from God, not "following" him but "following" our own desires.

When we heard the gospel, we decided to either do something about the message or ignore it. Sometimes people may hear multiple times before they "do something about it". But do something they must.

The general theme here is man's love for God, and God's love for man. Just prior to this, I asked if God's love had any power. I asked if God's love had an effect on a man.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No dude... like you can't be that dense man. You for some reason thought I was saying gods love wasn't always there but what I told you I was saying was that my love for god wasn't always there. So I decided I would do all I can to love him back because he first loved me.. now the reason I used the word strive is because you can't truly love him back until you're saved obeying his commandments. I simply repented in my hotel room that night but I didn't get saved there. At the convention I mentioned during a service I received the Holy Spirit and from then on started obeying his commandments.

OK. Since God's love was "always there", it obviously had no impact on you, at least as far as this hotel thing goes, right? You just decided to strive o obey the commandments.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OK. Since God's love was "always there", it obviously had no impact on you, at least as far as this hotel thing goes, right?
No it always has I always struggled between giving my life to god and not doing so eventually I hit a point to where I decided to turn to him. Sure it didn't have an immediate effect (that's the case with almost everyone though) it was a process. God kept loving me and I was like I noticed how he kept reaching me and finnaly decided to respond because I finnaly realized how much he loved me.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The general theme here is man's love for God, and God's love for man. Just prior to this, I asked if God's love had any power. I asked if God's love had an effect on a man.

Ok.

I answered it, but perhaps in a very bad way.

God's love interacts with each person on a level that the natural man cannot comprehend. When Peter preached to the crowds at Pentecost they said they had been "cut to the heart". That "cutting" was a result of God's love. They still had to respond to the message. They still had to 1- Repent, 2- Be baptized to receive the Holy Spirit

In Acts there is account after account of the Apostles preaching and people accepting the message receiving salvation or rejecting it, sometimes violently.

God does all he can to save all man, but it is up to each man to respond.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Those verses talk about God disciplining his people like you might send your child to his room for a much less significant offence.
Taking Gal. 6:7 out of context might make you think it is cut and dry. I have sown after the flesh, but I have not reaped destruction, but loving discipline because of what I have sown after the flesh, since I quite doing that. Sowing after the flesh and needing forgiveness and disciplining and that has been done, but destruction (hell) is not going to happen for me.
Good point.

God treats His people different from those who are not Christ's. Becoming God's child changes our relationship with Him and Him toward us, because we have made that decision to become a child of God.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
First you weren't "following God". Then you were following God, and this change happened prior to your knowledge or experience of His love toward you, is that right?
God's love has always been there for all of us. It is just a matter of when we realize the love that has always been there.

God loves the unsaved also, He just cannot work in their lives without their coming to Him.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I think we change only in attitude of heart. I decide I want to follow God and that change of attitude is what allows God's love to flow.

The flesh cannot crucify the flesh. But at the same time God cannot and will not impose himself on someone who does not want him.
Would you agree or disagree that our nature is at enmity with God? If so, what would make us change to want to love God?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course not.
Jimmy, I usually avoid any topic you create because I am convinced you are a strong Calvinist and are baiting people into debate. I have no interest in the debate. I believe the Elect refers to Jesus and all who abide in Him. I do not believe the choice of God is one way. He loves all and seeks whosoever will respond to Him. I believe we have free will. I don't believe in Total Depravity, Unconditional Election for those He chooses, Limited Atonement for the Elect, Irresistible Grace that all he calls must accept salvation, nor the Perseverance of the Saints as something totally on God without our responsibility to continue trusting Him. I believe salvation is a dance of choices His choosing all to abide in Christ and our choosing to abide in Christ or reject Him.

I don't believe you are seeking answers. Just people to argue with.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
God's love interacts with each person on a level that the natural man cannot comprehend.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me. Care to explain it further? Especially in light of your words below: "God does all he can to save all man"

God does all he can to save all man, but it is up to each man to respond.

Does he have apostles preach messages that cut to the heart of ALL people at all times? If not, how do you account for this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Would you agree or disagree that our nature is at enmity with God? If so, what would make us change to want to love God?
That depends on the person it could be a trial, experience, sermon, healing, family member death etc. and what enables us to love god is the Holy Spirit. So what causes someone to want to love god varies but what enables them to do so is he same, the Holy Spirit

Upvote 0

Seymore Bell

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2017
Jackson, MS
✟49,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
If God loves all people, as many say, do all people love Him?

Ch. Bell

1. Does God loves all people? Yes, but hate their sin.
2. Do all people love HIM? No, for example, Atheist and Agnostic fit this bill.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I thought that is what I had said. I am not denying that it is not God that draws men to himself, what I am saying is man still has to decide what he will do in response to God's love.

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It seems an awful lot like there are a couple here who want to lead everyone to the conclusion that we can only love God because His love COMPELS us to love Him back, we don’t actually choose to. Which basically makes God some kind of spiritual rapist.

Now, I’m certain they would deny such a thing, but if we aren’t actually making any choice of our own accord, I’m not sure what other option we are left with.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I thought that is what I had said. I am not denying that it is not God that draws men to himself, what I am saying is man still has to decide what he will do in response to God's love.

Does His love have any impact or role in this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't seem to make sense to me. Care to explain it further? Especially in light of your words below: "God does all he can to save all man"
Does he have apostles preach messages that cut to the heart of ALL people at all times? If not, how do you account for this?

Natural man cannot perceive what goes on in the spiritual world around him or in him. It is our natural sense that guide us. That is what I meant. God reaches out to all people for he wills that all people be saved yet we know that very few will be. So two things.

Either Universalism is correct and all people will be saved regardless of believing. Or there is something greater meant.

“And Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, "It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭13:46‬ ‭ESV‬‬

No man, must decide if he will accept God's love that reaches out to him or if he will reject him.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It seems an awful lot like there are a couple here who want to lead everyone to the conclusion that we can only love God because His love COMPELS us to love Him back, we don’t actually choose to. Which basically makes God some kind of spiritual rapist.

Now, I’m certain they would deny such a thing, but if we aren’t actually making any choice of our own accord, I’m not sure what other option we are left with.
I hope I don't come off that way but what I'm saying is I chose to love him cause I finnaly recognized he truly loved me. I'm not saying the love forces you to love him back if that was the case I wouldn't have went so long talking bad about him. I know people who have rejected his love also so yes we all have to make a choice is what I'm trying to say god doesn't force us. He didn't force me either

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok I seem to be playing at two different people here and it is getting rather confusing, so I will give one last response because I am really tired of repeating the same thing.

God draws all men to himself, it is his love that allows this through the cross and does this through the Holy Spirit.

All men must decide if they will accept his love and be saved or if they will reject it and continue in condemnation.

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I hope I don't come off that way but what I'm saying is I chose to love him cause I finnaly recognized he truly loved me. I'm not saying the love forces you to love him back if that was the case I wouldn't have went so long talking bad about him. I know people who have rejected his love also so yes we all have to make a choice is what I'm trying to say god doesn't force us. He didn't force me either
Oh, no, I was NOT talking about you.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That depends on the person it could be a trial, experience, sermon, healing, family member death etc. and what enables us to love god is the Holy Spirit. So what causes someone to want to love god varies but what enables them to do so is he same, the Holy Spirit
I hope this doesn't take it off topic, but what does the Holy Spirit do to enable us to love God?

Upvote 0