Massachusetts
✟341,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A mathematician in the UK did calculations and said that the possibility of evolution is about a trillion trillion trillion to one.
Sigh. Lots of very good mathematicians actually study evolution, and they are of a different opinion. You should try learning something about the subject sometime.
Since Darwin was the catalyst for evolution (he said that evolution could not be proved on his findings) not one thing has evolved.
Things are observed to be evolving all the time.
It is a known fact that evolution cannot happen because in the scheme of things each part of creation is dependent on each other. If they came about one after the other they would have died before "the other" came about.
This "fact" is not known to biologists.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
They've evolved just as much as humans have. We just tend to lump other species together as if they were all the same, since we're more aware of subtle human differences than we are differences in other animals.

I'm unclear what you mean by that? If monkeys and apes evolved as much as humans, wouldn't they be using tools and speaking with discernible languages, etc. Living in societies with clothes and such. Buildings and comforts of science and technologies?

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I find it far fetched to believe that this beetle somehow gained the ability to do this without an amazing creator

That's the "argument from incredulity". You are saying "because I don't understand evolution, it must not exist." That doesn't make sense. That's the same as saying:
"because I don't understand quantum mechanics, it must not exist."
"because I don't understand cancer, it must not exist."
"because I don't understand plate tectonics, it must not exist."
"because I don't understand viral disease, it must not exist."
"because I don't understand atomic theory, it must not exist."
"because I don't understand gravitational theory, it must not exist." and so on.....

In all of these cases, I'd suggest learning about something instead of deciding it doesn't exist because you don't personally understand it. I would have never finished High School if I had just decided algebra didn't exist because I didn't understand it.

For starters, this video shows that the evolution of the bombardier beetle is pretty understandable.

Off topic, but it still bothers me that textbooks in schools still lie to kids.....

Which, as sfs (who is an expert biologist) pointed out, is nearly all false. You've been told a bunch of lies, and have been fooled to believe all that. The truth is that there are literally hundreds of transitional fossils between earlier apes and humans, and they show our evolutionary origins beyond any reasonable doubt. And that's on top of the DNA evidence which also is sufficient by itself to prove our evolutionary past. Here are just a few of the fossils from ape to human, and they make a very easy to see gradual transition.
hominids2_big.jpg

• (E) Homo habilis, OH24, 1.8 My
  • (N) Homo sapiens sapiens, modern
I think what one must consider is that scientists are human, the bible is the inspired written word of God. So then the obvious question is, Is the bible trustworthy and Can God lie?

Of course not - but that doesn't mean that we interpret non-literal text as literal text. What, do you think that God flew the Jews out of Egypt on giant eagles, like it literally says in Exodus 19? Scientists say that giant eagles don't exist, after all.

h-2-0242-eagle-dori-bilbo-2.jpg

And your evidence that they are not a literal description is.......

There is a lot in scripture to show that Genesis is not literal. First, a literal reading makes no sense - Christians have recognized this since early Christianity. Plants before the Sun? Day and night before the Sun? Livestock before humans? A talking snake? magical fruit? It's pretty obvious it's not literal, just like Exodus 19, above.

It's written in the Hebrew parallel poetic structure, with days 4-6 paralleling days 1-3.

The second creation story, if read literally, contradicts the first one. There is more, of course.

Do you think that the Psalm that says that God makes new babies by knitting is literal? Why not?

Ever read up on carbon dating, where they get the millions and millions of years from?

As pointed out before, this is wrong. It's like saying that "their millions of years must be wrong, because clocks weren't invented yet, and because the migrating wildebeest migrate unevenly anyway."

The millions of years is not measured by carbon dating, and carbon dating is calibrated by several other dating methods, none of which is based on sunlight.

If the Bible is God's word and it is and the Holy Spirit is leading you into the truth of those words, the version you use is irrelevant which you would know if you really wanted to know the truth rather than just trying to sound superior and intelligent.

it has always been a problem with mankind that he thinks he knows better than God.

Right - for myself and millions of other Christians, the Holy Spirit has shown us that evolution is how God created. This denial of evolution we see from some people is just humans thinking that they know better than God.

This is exactly the reason our daughter will not be attending a secular college. The God of this world has taken over the education houses in this country and we are only partially seeing the results.

The biggest victim here is your daughter, who is being denied full range of choices for a quality education by your irrational fear. Do you consider the Christian University Notre Dame acceptable?

In Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm unclear what you mean by that? If monkeys and apes evolved as much as humans, wouldn't they be using tools and speaking with discernible languages, etc. Living in societies with clothes and such. Buildings and comforts of science and technologies?
No. Evolving doesn't mean becoming more like humans -- there's no particular target for evolution. It just means that they've changed.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...There is a lot in scripture to show that Genesis is not literal. First, a literal reading makes no sense - Christians have recognized this since early Christianity. Plants before the Sun? Day and night before the Sun? Livestock before humans?...

A minor but perhaps important sometime quibble. I liked your post and we agree on almost everything, but this part is more interesting than you've got here. I am a lifelong reader in astrophysics, which I enjoy so much, and it turns out that even though Genesis chapter 1 (as distinct from chapter 2, etc.) reads like a stylized poem *about* creation (or possibly like a vision (or series of visions) given and then poetically written), even then it turns out it agrees with current modern theory of solar system and planetary formation in surprising ways (and that really surprised me when I saw it). In day 1, the "light" could only be the sun, of course, that which allows a day/night cycle on a planet. (more distant star light won't). Now, here is where things get surprising and fun and interesting.

It turns out that computer simulation shows that early Earth would have constant cloud cover -- total, 24/7/365, for a billion or more years ! -- even long, long after it cooled enough for liquid water to remain on the surface.....

Since we now have evidence of early microbial life on Earth starting about 4.1 billion years ago, we can then see that life began under constant cloud cover (sort of like many days in Great Britain)....

That means life on Earth began long before the sun, moon and stars would be visible from the point of view of being on the surface of Earth. Fun stuff, eh? Also, of course various forms of livestock like animals predated modern humans, so if it is indeed a vision, even a stylized vision, even then, it corresponds to actual progression.

Of course, everyone needs to forget all about mere doctrines when they read, regardless, so that they get the real message, which pretty much every time is via metaphor, like "dust to dust" and such, telling us key things about life and our human condition. The Garden is about the birth of self-consciousness and moral judgement, and the resulting loss of bliss, inevitable things we need to have some feeling for. But even here, in Genesis 2 through 4, we still can wonder -- did Adam receive the first ever spirit (not merely animal consciousness) in that "breath"? Who can say they know what God did, even while we observe in Genesis 4 the fact other humans already existed, as Cain went away to the land of Nod and took a wife....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The textbook examples of our supposed ancestors have all been discredited, some of them as deliberate frauds. The Heidelberg man was built from a jawbone; the Nebraska man (1922) was made from just one tooth that was later discovered to be part of an extinct pig; the Piltdown man (1912) was made from the jawbone of a modern ape and was filed and treated with iron salts to make it look old. Neanderthal man was found in the Neander valley near Dusseldorf. The International Congress of Zoology that it was just an old man suffering from arthritis. The Java man (1922) was built by an 1891 skull cap and femur, the teeth were from an orangutan.
The only one in this list that is a genuine hoax was the Piltdown man, and science uncovered the fraud. You see how science is self-correcting!!!

Nebraska man was never agreed upon as being human remains -- a large number of the scientific community were unconvinced. Those who did believe it was human did not deliberately deceive, but made a genuine mistake. And... once again, science itself uncovered the mistake. That's two out of two.

Java man is homo erectus. Do you understand how many gazillion remains of homo erectus have been found? And they are all over the earth.

Do you realize how MANY Neanderthal remains have been found and over what an extensive territory?

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A minor but perhaps important sometime quibble. .... so if it is indeed a vision, even a stylized vision, even then, it corresponds to actual progression.

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I've heard that, but on reading Genesis carefully, I'm not sure it fits so well. Again and again the order in Genesis is wrong if read literally. (I've marked the ones that are solved by the "can't see through clouds" idea with *).

Some examples, by day of "creation":
Initial State
Watery abyss with no land.
wrong - Land has always existed on Earth

1 Light (no Sun yet)wrong - Light without sun? *

2 Firmament/inverted bowl
wrong - Hebrew word shows this to be solid, but there has never been a solid dome over the earth.

3 Dry land, then All land plants
wrong - sea animals preceded land plants

4 Moon, Sun, stars and the whole universe *
wrong - Those existed long before life and most of the other things made in days 1-3.

5 Aquatic Animals & Birds
wrong - Birds were not before animals on land.

6 Land animals and humans
But this is a different order than Genesis 2.

7 Rest

* Proposed solution is "clouds covered the early earth, blocking out the light, being removed on 'day' 4." However, this doesn't work on at least two counts. First, it doesn't say that. If one is using a literal-only reading, then it specifically says "made" (bara) the sun, which is not "became visible". "Became visible" would have been easy to write if that was intended. It can't be a person's perspective, because there were no people then, and bacteria don't have eyes. If it's a vision, then a vision can show anything, and very often doesn't show literal history (there are many visions throughout scripture, such as in Rev, with all kinds of symbolism).

Secondly - even with the "cloud" idea, it still doesn't work for the order. The sky was visible *(day 4) hundreds of millions of years before there were land plants (day 3) - again in the wrong order.

Third - 'day' 4, as well as the rest of the story (along with literally dozens of other verses in the Bibles) shows a flat earth, under a hard dome, under water, with little stars inside the dome as little lights. We can't take that literally without rejecting both a spherical earth as well as heliocentrism.

Just like any other primitive creation story, some things are right here and there - especially since most of these stories (as shown above) go from simpler to complex, as makes sense.

Our story isn't anywhere close to being in the right order if read literally. The most accurate stories are by religions made up recently - like scientology. But that, of course, only means that we knew more when they made up the religion, not that scientology is right.

In Christ-
Papias

I liked your post and we agree on almost everything, .........., so that they get the real message, which pretty much every time is via metaphor, like "dust to dust" and such, telling us key things about life and our human condition. The Garden is about the birth of self-consciousness and moral judgement, and the resulting loss of bliss, ...

Yep. Good stuff. Have a fun day-

Papias

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
....wrong - Land has always existed on Earth

In Christ-
Papias

Yep. Good stuff. Have a fun day-

Papias

It's valuable for everyone to be humble, and it doesn't matter at all who is right in their understanding of modern theory in planetary formation (which is inside my constant reading in astrophysics)....

But, if I even brought every mainstream current theory/hypothesis I've read connected to these pieces to bear, it might not help you or me (e.g. since the early molten Earth was naturally in hydrostatic equilibrium, it had no mountains and no higher elevations, but only equal elevation in terms of sea level even mostly after the crust was cooling enough so that later as more water appeared on the cooling surface it well could have been a water world for a while, etc., etc.). :) But please consider just a moment the endless possible ways to read Genesis 1 -- for instance, if the "days" are like widely spaced snapshots in time (individual visions for instance, or separate scenes), we don't know a precise time between them of course, so that doesn't even connect in any manner to the precise length of the constant cloud cover, right? (e.g. significant but not total cloudiness might last 1.4 billion years, 1.8 bn, etc., (who knows?) but "day" 4 might be long past that time period, and doesn't have to be on the first days the cloudiness broke...etc.....) But, we could argue (or better merely discuss without any ego) our points, and it's involves quite a bit of hypothetical pieces, and we want to avoid being caught up in argument. Better is if we do this:

We each and all should strive just routinely to gain by rereading scriptures as best we can without using our preconceptions and or looking for any point we want to see as our goal (even my own! :) ), but instead asking the word to speak to us and convey to us the deeper things it has. The real meanings in the metaphors and the spiritual level, the real reasons for the passages. We want to....read with a fresh openness, an openness of heart. We are so lucky to be able to, all of us. God Bless, and have a great day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heaven's Child

Sep 15, 2016
california
✟18,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is if you believe lies as in apes and human share 99% of genes.

As former British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli observed indignantly upon reading Darwin, human beings are more like angels than apes. And he was right. No animal speaks, composes symphonies, paints masterpieces, sends probes to Saturn, or more importantly—desires a relationship with God.

Even if the "99%" canard were true, it wouldn't make us 99% chimps any more than a diamond's carbon composition makes it 99% coal. We're not the sum of our genes, and it's past time that journalists and commentators evolve past this outdated assertion.

A mathematician in the UK did calculations and said that the possibility of evolution is about a trillion trillion trillion to one.

Since Darwin was the catalyst for evolution (he said that evolution could not be proved on his findings) not one thing has evolved.

It is a known fact that evolution cannot happen because in the scheme of things each part of creation is dependent on each other. If they came about one after the other they would have died before "the other" came about.
Episaw, I'm fairly new to the site, so excuse me if I'm reading this incorrectly. But, it appears as though someone else's posting has gotten mixed up with mine. Personally, I don't agree with evolution. I am a firm believer in God as being the creator of this universe and will preach it until I die. Honey, we are in total agreement! Go bless!

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Episaw, I'm fairly new to the site, so excuse me if I'm reading this incorrectly. But, it appears as though someone else's posting has gotten mixed up with mine. Personally, I don't agree with evolution. I am a firm believer in God as being the creator of this universe and will preach it until I die. Honey, we are in total agreement! Go bless!

Hi there. It's good to see your comment, and I want you to know that many see that God as the creator of all that is has to mean that He created physics also. The "laws of nature" -- physics.

So, physics is God's, for those of us believing in God as the creator of all that is. That means that all that happens by the laws of physics -- geology, radioactive decay, fusion in stars -- all the working of "nature" even(!) -- all of it, all is God's creation, by His design. Physics is his design.

Since all chemistry, etc., is just physics in action, it's God's creation too. I point out all of this to reach this point -- that evolution, the theory, is just a theory about chemistry and mutations, etc. -- it doesn't in itself in any manner imply God's did not create. It could be the tool He choose to accomplish His intent (for instance if time passed between the "days" in Genesis 1, or any of another dozen ways to guess at what happened.). While I think He directly intervened, it's only my opinion, and I will not guess at other's faith in God according to whether they agree with me. While all of us are limited in our understanding, not knowing every mystery, we can know that we must believe in Christ for our salvation, and that makes us brothers and sisters in Him.

• Agree
Reactions: sfs
Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't mind if people disagree with me but even better if they do agree with me. I have never been called "Honey" before, not even by my wife. Sounds rather nice.

• Haha
Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There is a lot in scripture to show that Genesis is not literal. First, a literal reading makes no sense - Christians have recognized this since early Christianity. Plants before the Sun? Day and night before the Sun? Livestock before humans? A talking snake? magical fruit? It's pretty obvious it's not literal, just like Exodus 19, above.

It's written in the Hebrew parallel poetic structure, with days 4-6 paralleling days 1-3.

The second creation story, if read literally, contradicts the first one. There is more, of course.

Do you think that the Psalm that says that God makes new babies by knitting is literal? Why not?

Right - for myself and millions of other Christians, the Holy Spirit has shown us that evolution is how God created. This denial of evolution we see from some people is just humans thinking that they know better than God.

The biggest victim here is your daughter, who is being denied full range of choices for a quality education by your irrational fear. Do you consider the Christian University Notre Dame acceptable?In Christ-Papias

A literal reading may not make sense to you but to millions of Christians, it does.

Because everything in creation does not fit your paradigm does not mean that it is not literal. Many, many Christian Ph.D's have explained the exact nature of God's creation and what is recorded in Genesis is entirely possible and right.

The Hebrew parallel poetic structure is not necessary to know about because if it was, then God would have made it clear in Genesis one.

The second creation story does not contradict the first one. That is a figment of people's imagination who do not understand how God created the heavens and earth and are looking for flaws.

Your comment about Psalms shows your ignorance of the English language.

For myself and millions of other Christians, the Holy Spirit has shown us that evolution is not how God created the heavens and the earth. This promotion of evolution we see from some people is just humans thinking that they know better than God.

The biggest victim here are students, who are being denied a full range of choices for a quality education by the education system denying then the right to consider both sides of the story.

Fortunately, some school boards have seen the light and insisted that evolution and creation are taught side by side. They obviously do not have an irrational fear of the truth.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Sigh. Lots of very good mathematicians actually study evolution, and they are of a different opinion. You should try learning something about the subject sometime.

Things are observed to be evolving all the time.

This "fact" is not known to biologists.

ONE. You should try and learn not to be so sarcastic.

TWO. Tell me one thing that has evolved since Darwin's theory on the subject.

THREE. This fact is not known to biologists who do not want to know. Those that do and can handle the truth are fully aware of it.

FOUR. It is a known fact that academia will say what the funding wants them to say.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Basically: GENETICS

Sorry but I am not convinced. What you call evolution is nothing more than environmental factors and I don't make judgments based on ideas like "presumed" and "may also contribute."

The article is out of whack because it says things happened when the earth did not exist. Apart from the fact, that is one view and no science is ever produced in one view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The article is out of whack because it says things happened when the earth did not exist.
Things DID happen before the earth existed. All you have to do is realize how many lightyears it takes for starlight to reach the earth to realize that when you look up in the heavens you are looking billions of years farther back in time than the earth has been around.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Things DID happen before the earth existed. All you have to do is realize how many lightyears it takes for starlight to reach the earth to realize that when you look up in the heavens you are looking billions of years farther back in time than the earth has been around.
So light coloured skin evolved (8,000 years ago) before the world existed? (6,000 years ago)

• Haha
Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ONE. You should try and learn not to be so sarcastic.
Why? (Not that what I wrote was particularly sarcastic.)
TWO. Tell me one thing that has evolved since Darwin's theory on the subject.
Chloroquine resistance in P. falciparum malaria.
THREE. This fact is not known to biologists who do not want to know. Those that do and can handle the truth are fully aware of it.
Really? Who are these biologists who think it is a fact that evolution cannot happen? What fraction of Christian biologists believe this?
FOUR. It is a known fact that academia will say what the funding wants them to say.
You should try and learn not to slander people about whom you know nothing.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's perfectly good for a Christian who believes to say "I don't know every small detail of how God created, because I am not all-knowing, and I only have some very partial knowledge about it."

Upvote 0