Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I do recall being told that the Southern Baptist Church is not so dogmatic about the PTR and gives its members more liberty in their views.
As a denomination, their official doctrinal confession is little more than "yes, Jesus is coming back" without offering any schedule of events. The church we've been attending (Southern Baptist) started a series tonight on eschatology and it's fairly clear that at least this congregation holds to PTR.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks to this forum, I am learning a lot of words that I was never taught in my little small town church.

We had about 14 people, including the pastor, my family and my best friend.

Pre-tribulation, dispensationalism, premillennialist, euchology etc were not words I had come across until recently.

We talked about being baptized, walking with Christ, the rapture and the Holy Spirit but all of these other things? Never. Certainly not phrased in these ways.

Then, for 20 years, I ignored everything Christian and made science and education my religion.

Finding my way back to Jesus is a big learning curve from when I was that little chubby kid in a small town!

So, what I will say, I was raised as Pentecostal Holiness/Southern Baptist and ONE or the other (maybe both?) taught pre-tribulation rapture.

Now, I'm seeing that this is something that is contested by some.

Thanks for this section, also. I didn't know this existed until today.

Man, I just keep learning!

Reactions: Michael Snow
Upvote 0

Michael Snow

Sep 24, 2015
✟36,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John MacArthur has done some great expositions, this isn't his best work. He talks about how the church isn't mentioned after the fourth chapter, ok so who are these people?

When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” (Rev. 6:9-10)​
They die for the word of God and for their testimony, no, they are not specifically called they church. But that's a pretty good description of what you would expect the church to be doing during the tribulation...
Yes, this bit about the 4th Chapter is pure eisegesis on Mac's part. https://textsincontext.wordpress.com/2023/07/12/revelation-4-no-rapture-of-the-church/

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some do believe in the rapture, though.

Simply stating that it's in error or 'heresy' doesn't really help to educate anyone.

From what I can see, there is a lot of evidence from the scriptures for a rapture but I can also see the other side.

If someone like Billy Graham is conflicted and won't take a stand on either side, then is it very surprising that we are having this discussion?

Ultimately, I'm not sure it matters that much. I have never read anything in the Bible that states that salvation is contingent on the details of this point?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟21,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't, though I also believe Jesus can return at any time:
I go by Mark 13:33-37. Jesus says watch and pray for ye know not when the time is. Vs 35 "Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight,or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning."

That says it all right there. He mentions 4 different watches of the night, and it's ironic there are 4 main teaching of a pre-millennial rapture: pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, pre-wrath, and post-tribulation.

There's also nothing in scripture that specifically tells us NONE of the tribulation will happen before the church is raptured. I hear people say we won't see the antichrist, but there's a lot of scripture that appears to indicate we will, such as 2 Thessalonians and 1 John.

1 Thess 5:9 quoted by so many pre-tribbers is out of context.
"For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ"
"Wrath" here is "orge" which is also used in John 3:36, all throughout Romans, and implies Gods wrath upon the sinner in judgment. In Rev 6:16, 17 & 11:18 in context it's also dealing with final judgment.

However when we are dealing specifically with the wrath of God poured out upon earth during the tribulation, we find another word, thymos, used in Rev. 14:10 & 19, 15:1 & 7, and 16:1
Revelation 19:15 switches back to orge when it speaks of the conquering Jesus treading the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

"For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ" - In context means we've been appointed to salvation by faith in Jesus, therefore we will not suffer the wrath as John 3:36 because ye have not believed.
It does NOT mean we won't be appointed to the great tribulation. Those who teach that are really stretching it to mean something it don't say.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟21,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I ran out of edit time.

I honestly think whether or not we see part of the tribulation depends on the condition of the church at the time.
There is Luke 21:36
"Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man." (escape is ekphuego - to flee from, flee out of.)
Conditional; but even there He may not mean physically escaping the earth but the persecution, as in Rev. chapter 12, the woman fled into the wilderness (phuego - to flee, seek safety from)

• Useful
Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟72,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm a premillennialist, but I'm on the fence about the pre-trib rapture and dispensationalism.

I don't think most modern evangelicals and fundamentalists fall neatly into either dispensationalism nor historic premillennialism, and probably hold to some mixture of the two views.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0