Do all Catholics think contraception is sin?

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I get endlessly tired of people saying this. Priests are not forced to take their vows, they choose to.

LOL!! It is amazing that people don't realize that those going into that position know what is going on and choose to do so . However , the resulting frustration is amuzing and deserved for the things that Catholics won't admit to understanding .

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As has been answered, there are Catholics who do not think contraception is sinful, but they are either ignorant of or indifferent toward Church teaching on the matter.

Essentially contraception is in violation of the natural act (which is the same reason Paul gave for why homosexuality was wrong, Rm 1:26-27) and thus violates the natural law. When one deprives one's spouse of the fullness of their sexuality, namely their fertility, the act is compromised and against the order of God's design.

The Magisterial references I can think of on this matter are:

Humanae Vitae, by Pope Paul VI
Theology of the Body, by Pope John Paul II
Catechism #'s 2370 and 2399.

Anyone interested in the more thorough treatment should read those.
It could be argued that God's design has been comprimised since Eden.

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think it is sretch to connect it to homosexuality.

I am not connecting it to "homosexuality" per se. I was pointing out how Paul said homosexuality was sinful for the reason that it was against what was "natural." Going by that principle, intercourse devoid of fertility is de facto an impediment to the natural act. Particularly with sexuality, which is a gift from God, a share in His "creative" powers, it is a rejection of the complete gift to contracept.

Of course, I also recognize the teaching of the Spirit through the Catholic Church to help explain and identify this moral issue, so aside from the Scripture I also have that.

Is this thread to get an answer on Catholic teaching or is it intended to say someone else's position trumps the Catholic position?

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
agents of truth.:cool:

why is it sin?
Because God commanded Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply. To answer your original question, no not every Catholic believes it's a sin and does practice birth control.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Where in the Scriptures does it say that?
where does it say that the Lord wants good things for us?
it says that in a lot of places
look at psalms, how many times are children counted as a blessing?

you yourself said that sex was for all of those things, to remove any of those things makes it something "unnatural"

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2009
America
✟10,055.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
where does it say that the Lord wants good things for us?
it says that in a lot of places
look at psalms, how many times are children counted as a blessing?

you yourself said that sex was for all of those things, to remove any of those things makes it something "unnatural"

Let me be more specific. Where in Scripture does it say that sex without the intention of procreation is sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 18, 2009
America
✟10,055.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
you asked an inncorect question
i do not know if any scripture says we must have the intention for procreatiion
the Chruch does not ask us to have this intention
so it is a bad question

Is there any Scriptures that say that contraception, or any form of sex that does not lead to conception, or sex with the intention of not having children, a sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aeyamar

Ecumenist
Mar 28, 2007
New Jersey or Rhode Island
✟8,334.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Whenever *I* say/write that I know of Catholics that don't agree with the group's teachings , a Catholic usually says/writes that the person(s) are not really Catholic if that is so . What would you say of those in your post that do not agree with this teaching ?

I don't view the church's teaching on birth control as a central tenet of the Catholic faith and it has not been defined infallibly, so I don't think you could say a person who disagreed with it wasn't a real Catholic. In fact, it really bugs me how much tension there can be in Catholicism between the more and less orthodox factions.

Upvote 0

cowboysfan1970

Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2008
✟16,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is there any Scriptures that say that contraception, or any form of sex that does not lead to conception, or sex with the intention of not having children, a sin?
There are people that do believe that and they have no problem quoting them to you. Look up anything that has to do with dicipline and self-control. If you say they are wrong they will come down on you like a cement mixer. And yes, there are still people that believe that to this day. More than you would think too.

Upvote 0

max1120

seeker
Oct 9, 2008
✟9,676.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The vast majority of Catholics like other religions practice birth control. Most catholic couples do not see it as "sinful". They are aware that the Vatican, the Pope and the church hierarchy do not approve of the practice, yet they see it as the church being out of touch with them and reality. The truth is most catholic couples love their children and want to be able to properly provide for them and educate them. They know that doing so requires that they limit their family size according to what they can afford. So no most Catholic's do not see birth control as a sin.

Upvote 0