Do all Catholics think contraception is sin?

B

bbbbbbb

Because it puts an artificial barrier between a husband and wife and God's creation.

So, is it a sin for a husband (who snores loud enough to shake all creation) to sleep in a bedroom separate from the one his wife is sleeping in? The wall(s) between the bedrooms are most assuredly not a natural barrier. Speaking of which, is there such a thing as a natural barrier between a husband and wife and God's creation? Lambskin condoms are marketed as a natural product (although much less effective as latex condoms),

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Because it puts an artificial barrier between a husband and wife and God's creation.

How do you know God wants them to have 6 kids?

Actually it seems like a contradiction.You guys put a barrier up,where priests can't have kids,but somehow,as bbbbbb said,a thin piece of condom,is somehow a barrier.:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cowboysfan1970

Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2008
✟16,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The position is that we weren't created with an "on" and "off" switch for our fertility. Artificial contraception is more or less telling God that you know better than He does and are saying that you don't want to go along with His natural design.

Artificial contraception however is being questioned in Protestant circles now. There is an increasing number of Southern Baptists seminaries that are challenging it and speaking out against it. The tide might be starting to turn. Sooner or later either they or another Protestant denomination will officially come out against it.

Upvote 0

Aeyamar

Ecumenist
Mar 28, 2007
New Jersey or Rhode Island
✟8,334.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, not all Catholics do, but it is still church teaching.

From what I've read, most of the argument against it has more to do with the negative effects birth control has had on society or the family life as a whole. Or at least that is the most convincing part of the argument.

This was one of the better articles I read addressing the whole thing. It's a little long.
Contraception: Why Not?

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
As has been answered, there are Catholics who do not think contraception is sinful, but they are either ignorant of or indifferent toward Church teaching on the matter.

Essentially contraception is in violation of the natural act (which is the same reason Paul gave for why homosexuality was wrong, Rm 1:26-27) and thus violates the natural law. When one deprives one's spouse of the fullness of their sexuality, namely their fertility, the act is compromised and against the order of God's design.

The Magisterial references I can think of on this matter are:

Humanae Vitae, by Pope Paul VI
Theology of the Body, by Pope John Paul II
Catechism #'s 2370 and 2399.

Anyone interested in the more thorough treatment should read those.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
As has been answered, there are Catholics who do not think contraception is sinful, but they are either ignorant of or indifferent toward Church teaching on the matter.

Essentially contraception is in violation of the natural act (which is the same reason Paul gave for why homosexuality was wrong, Rm 1:26-27) and thus violates the natural law. When one deprives one's spouse of the fullness of their sexuality, namely their fertility, the act is compromised and against the order of God's design.

The Magisterial references I can think of on this matter are:

Humanae Vitae, by Pope Paul VI
Theology of the Body, by Pope John Paul II
Catechism #'s 2370 and 2399.

Anyone interested in the more thorough treatment should read those.

I think it is sretch to connect it to homosexuality.

Do you have scripture to prove it is sin?

And why are priests forced to not go with the natural order of life,yet a Christian family is forced to have many children?

And not only that,but late life pregnancy can be dangeous.And too many children can be an emotional and financial burden.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No, not all Catholics do, but it is still church teaching.

From what I've read, most of the argument against it has more to do with the negative effects birth control has had on society or the family life as a whole. Or at least that is the most convincing part of the argument.

This was one of the better articles I read addressing the whole thing. It's a little long.
Contraception: Why Not?

Whenever *I* say/write that I know of Catholics that don't agree with the group's teachings , a Catholic usually says/writes that the person(s) are not really Catholic if that is so . What would you say of those in your post that do not agree with this teaching ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sarcalogos Deus

Welch Ein Mensch!
Jan 1, 2010
Archdiocese of Oklahoma City
✟8,843.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And why are priests forced to not go with the natural order of life,yet a Christian family is forced to have many children?

I get endlessly tired of people saying this. Priests are not forced to take their vows, they choose to.

And too many children can be an emotional and financial burden.

This reason just betrays a lack of trust in God to provide for any children the person may have.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I get endlessly tired of people saying this. Priests are not forced to take their vows, they choose to.
That's a relief because then you can sympathize with how tired I get of people denying that the choice they make is forced on a calling that doesn't itself require it. The Latin rite has no right to force it on those who have no choice but to obey God's calling.

Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I liken it to saying that modern medicine thwarts God's will by saving lives that in the past, would've been impossible to save. I'm wondering if this argument was once used against immunizations as well...or antibiotics.

I don't think God want's us to be a slave to our biology. I think we are to master it as we have mastered the world around us. The seas were at one time a natural boundary and then we mastered them. Atmosphere was a natural boundary and we are mastering that. Our biology was once a boundary to longevity and we are mastering that through modern medicine.

I'll tell you why this reeks of misogyny...because history tells us that women have had very little control over their sexuality(in terms of saying no to sex) and have suffered the consequences of repetitive childbirth. The great Sir Thomas More had a teenaged wife that produced 4 children in 6 years of marriage and then died...a footnote in his life.

I have a chronic disease that is exacerbated by pregnancy. My last pregnancy was not only dangerous to myself but resulted in serious issues for my son. So I prevent pregnancy now. My choices are to deny my spouse intercourse or use modern medicine to prevent pregnancy....quite the conundrum in certain religious circles. Oh...there is the "trust God" theory...which basically says "ignore the idea that pregnancy prevention is a tool from God". You know..it's like drowning and not taking a life vest from a human because that would come from man and perhaps it's God will that you drown. So instead you decide you will only accept a vest if it appears to drop from heaven. The reality is God is bigger than a life vest or birth control..and if it's His will that you become pregnant or you are called home...neither will prevent His will from being done.

Upvote 0

Sarcalogos Deus

Welch Ein Mensch!
Jan 1, 2010
Archdiocese of Oklahoma City
✟8,843.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's a relief because then you can sympathize with how tired I get of people denying that the choice they make is forced on a calling that doesn't itself require it. The Latin rite has no right to force it on those who have no choice but to obey God's calling.

I'm sure this has been debated to death, but celibacy is according to Paul the preferred way to live. I even agree with you that the priesthood does not require celibacy. Put quite simply if you aren't called to be celibate you aren't called to be a priest in the Latin Rite.

Reactions: MrPolo
Upvote 0