ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Such "clarity" might be a bit too much around here. If I indicated "acceptable" that might be construed as "promoting abortion," which is very much a no no in these forums.
Better that you provide objections to what you think is my position, or defenses for your position. Or in other words, tell me on what basis a fetus should be considered a human being.

The problem is that you're operating from such a strict and precise adherence to language and definitions that in order to have a meaningful discussion with you, I need to have a more clear picture of what you actually believe. A person can be Pro-Choice (as you clearly are) without being someone who promotes abortion. You have never come off to me as someone who promotes abortion, just someone who thinks abortions are not immoral. I'm sure the moderators are intelligent enough to make that distinction.

So if you don't mind, I think what I need to understand more, and I tried asking is this - Can you provide a concrete, objective point in time in which you believe human life transitions into a human being? I challenged what your position is for a little more clarity in my reply 209, and so it seems that your response is that a human being does not exist so long as its location is inside a womb, but the moment it is outside the womb, and breathes its first breath it becomes a human being. Does this capture your position accurately?

You seem to be concentrating your belief in that the growing human life inside a womb does not become a human until it reaches the developmental level where it is capable of breathing air... No, where it actually breathes air for the first time - correct? Which if so, then it would follow that you believe that no matter where it is in its development inside the womb that it is not a human being. Therefore, abortion at any stage of development and for any reason by the mother is acceptable. Correct? Not something to be promoted! But something that is morally permissible. Correct?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
The problem is that you're operating from such a strict and precise adherence to language and definitions that in order to have a meaningful discussion with you, I need to have a more clear picture of what you actually believe. A person can be Pro-Choice (as you clearly are) without being someone who promotes abortion. You have never come off to me as someone who promotes abortion, just someone who thinks abortions are not immoral. I'm sure the moderators are intelligent enough to make that distinction.

So if you don't mind, I think what I need to understand more, and I tried asking is this - Can you provide a concrete, objective point in time in which you believe human life transitions into a human being? I challenged what your position is for a little more clarity in my reply 209, and so it seems that your response is that a human being does not exist so long as its location is inside a womb, but the moment it is outside the womb, and breathes its first breath it becomes a human being. Does this capture your position accurately?

You seem to be concentrating your belief in that the growing human life inside a womb does not become a human until it reaches the developmental level where it is capable of breathing air... No, where it actually breathes air for the first time - correct? Which if so, then it would follow that you believe that no matter where it is in its development inside the womb that it is not a human being. Therefore, abortion at any stage of development and for any reason by the mother is acceptable. Correct? Not something to be promoted! But something that is morally permissible. Correct?

Look, please explain to me why or how what I "believe" is RELEVANT to the discussion. Can't you notice it is NOT ABOUT ME, at least should not be?
If I or a million others hold to a particular view, how is that relevant to a discussion of the TRUTH of various propositions and facts we can explore?
How does "strict and precise adherence to language and definitions" require knowing anything about me and what I believe?

"First breath" is only one element of the IMMENSE TRANSFORMATION OF BIRTH that I already pointed out. It would be appropriate to raise questions about any of those elements if you don't agree.

If the considerations re my beliefs matter, then perhaps we should also be examining what your actual beliefs are. But both are irrelevant to any discussion of the issue.

You indicated on page 11 of this forum that you think there is a human being at conception. I on the same page point out that at conception (and beyond a bit) there is NO FLESH. Can you reconcile the claim that there is an ANIMAL, an actual animal, a member of the human species, with the reality that there is no flesh, such an entity has NO FLESH WHATSOEVER?

How can you think there are "men," i.e. persons, who consist NOT of flesh and blood?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Look, please explain to me why or how what I "believe" is RELEVANT to the discussion.
Is this a serious question? Every single discussion you have on this forum is going to be related to what you believe about the truth of a subject. When you engage me in discussion and ask questions like you did in your reply, you're asking me to explain what I believe about subject X. I assume then that after I answer your questions you will respond with either agreeing or disagreeing with what I believe about subject X.

In order to have any sort of meaningful discussion each party has to understand what the other person believes about a given subject, or else there can be no meaningful dialogue. Is this not common sense?

I will answer your question, though you're not being very charitable by not addressing my questions.

You indicated on page 11 of this forum that you think there is a human being at conception. I on the same page point out that at conception (and beyond a bit) there is NO FLESH. Can you reconcile the claim that there is an ANIMAL, an actual animal, a member of the human species, with the reality that there is no flesh, such an entity has NO FLESH WHATSOEVER?
I can imagine a burn victim who has lost all his flesh. I would still consider this person a human being, would you not? I can also imagine someone coming down with a rare blood disease and the only cure was to replace their blood with a synthetic liquid - would we say that this procedure caused this person to no longer be a human with human rights?

I think the problem is that I don't even know what your definition of a human being is. What are the necessary traits that a human must have to be considered a human person - can you outline that for me?

We know for example that a 9 month fetus has flesh, organs, blood, and is actually completely viable and could survive if removed from the womb. Yet, according to you, because this fetus has not yet breathed on its own it is not a human being. Can you put something in outline form that defines your understanding of what a human is? It's hard to discuss this with you because honestly, your beliefs are so far "out there" that it's hard to have a meaningful discussion. That's probably why you feel as if you go round and round in circles with everyone. Frankly, your thoughts on what constitutes a human doesn't seem to be anything I've ever encountered at any rate.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Is this a serious question? Every single discussion you have on this forum is going to be related to what you believe about the truth of a subject. When you engage me in discussion and ask questions like you did in your reply, you're asking me to explain what I believe about subject X. I assume then that after I answer your questions you will respond with either agreeing or disagreeing with what I believe about subject X.

In order to have any sort of meaningful discussion each party has to understand what the other person believes about a given subject, or else there can be no meaningful dialogue. Is this not common sense?

I will answer your question, though you're not being very charitable by not addressing my questions.

I can imagine a burn victim who has lost all his flesh. I would still consider this person a human being, would you not? I can also imagine someone coming down with a rare blood disease and the only cure was to replace their blood with a synthetic liquid - would we say that this procedure caused this person to no longer be a human with human rights?

I think the problem is that I don't even know what your definition of a human being is. What are the necessary traits that a human must have to be considered a human person - can you outline that for me?

We know for example that a 9 month fetus has flesh, organs, blood, and is actually completely viable and could survive if removed from the womb. Yet, according to you, because this fetus has not yet breathed on its own it is not a human being. Can you put something in outline form that defines your understanding of what a human is? It's hard to discuss this with you because honestly, your beliefs are so far "out there" that it's hard to have a meaningful discussion. That's probably why you feel as if you go round and round in circles with everyone. Frankly, your thoughts on what constitutes a human doesn't seem to be anything I've ever encountered at any rate.

I was addressing your questions, though you didn't like what I said.
Your imagination surprises and somewhat baffles me - I wonder if a dictionary would help. Let me give a clue - if someone lost ALL his flesh "he" would be ALL bone and CERTAINLY NOT ALIVE.
And I certainly never claimed that having some blood was the definition of a human being!

"What are the necessary traits that a human must have to be considered a human person?"
BE BORN! I think I've given you that answer a few times now. (And having human flesh of course - but your question already incorporates "human.")

"Can you put something in outline form that defines your understanding of what a human is? It's hard to discuss this with you because honestly, your beliefs are so far "out there" that it's hard to have a meaningful discussion. That's probably why you feel as if you go round and round in circles with everyone. Frankly, your thoughts on what constitutes a human doesn't seem to be anything I've ever encountered at any rate.
BE BORN - I've already given you that "outline."
Presumably "birth" is not too incomprehensible to you, too "far out there," especially since I have pointed out to you a number of features of being born.

"In order to have any sort of meaningful discussion each party has to understand what the other person believes about a given subject, or else there can be no meaningful dialogue. Is this not common sense?" THIS IS NOT COMMON SENSE AT ALL !
A simple illustration: some kid hasn't seen an apple before and asks: "What is it?" Someone replies "an apple, it's good for eating" and thereby with meaningful dialogue (and not ANY question about what anyone "believes,") has meaningful discussion indeed.

Time for you to try to defend your position, rather than ATTACK ME PERSONALLY.
In other words, how can your mind suffer the blatant falsity of those claiming there can be living persons having NO flesh and blood?
(I say this with a bit of abrasion partly because you evaded the obvious question that I raised, and it seems to me I cannot help it, it seems such a ridiculous idea, the person with NO flesh. And certainly NOT EVEN BONES, yet need we mention that?) I didn't call the idea ABSOLUTE NONSENSE when I first raised it, though I was certainly tempted to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'm just trying to figure out on what basis you determine that breathing is the determining factor in what makes a human being. That just doesn't make sense to me, and I'm not sure what it's based upon.

An embryo begins developing blood cells around week 5, I think, and certainly the heart is beating, and we know that the heart pumps blood, by week 7. As far as skin goes, it's pretty much defined and skin looking by week 11. Yet, you maintain that prior to birth there is no human being. So our human determining factor can't be blood and skin. Perhaps it's the first breath, as you've indicated?

But I just don't see any good reason for us to use the first time a human baby breathes as the moment in which they suddenly possess inherent moral worth and are considered created in the image of God. If this was our standard, then it would be morally permissible for a woman to deliver a baby, and then for the doctor to break its neck before it drew its first breath. There seems something wrong that idea, doesn't there?

As Christians, where I assume (hope) we agree is that all human person are created in the image of God, have a soul, and possess inherent moral worth. We agree on this. So what confuses me is why would a baby that was just delivered but hadn't yet taken its first breath not possess any moral worth or soul? For someone to believe that the delivered baby that had not yet drawn breath did not possess any moral worth or a soul, but that 2.5 seconds later after it drew its first breath was suddenly bestowed with a soul and moral worth - that belief I would assume must be theological in nature. It's certainly not philosophical or medical.

So the burden of proof really rests upon you making that claim, I see no reason why I should accept that as true.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I'm just trying to figure out on what basis you determine that breathing is the determining factor in what makes a human being. That just doesn't make sense to me, and I'm not sure what it's based upon.

An embryo begins developing blood cells around week 5, I think, and certainly the heart is beating, and we know that the heart pumps blood, by week 7. As far as skin goes, it's pretty much defined and skin looking by week 11. Yet, you maintain that prior to birth there is no human being. So our human determining factor can't be blood and skin. Perhaps it's the first breath, as you've indicated?

But I just don't see any good reason for us to use the first time a human baby breathes as the moment in which they suddenly possess inherent moral worth and are considered created in the image of God. If this was our standard, then it would be morally permissible for a woman to deliver a baby, and then for the doctor to break its neck before it drew its first breath. There seems something wrong that idea, doesn't there?

As Christians, where I assume (hope) we agree is that all human person are created in the image of God, have a soul, and possess inherent moral worth. We agree on this. So what confuses me is why would a baby that was just delivered but hadn't yet taken its first breath not possess any moral worth or soul? For someone to believe that the delivered baby that had not yet drawn breath did not possess any moral worth or a soul, but that 2.5 seconds later after it drew its first breath was suddenly bestowed with a soul and moral worth - that belief I would assume must be theological in nature. It's certainly not philosophical or medical.

So the burden of proof really rests upon you making that claim, I see no reason why I should accept that as true.

Oh, and you still accept an entity with NO FLESH WHATSOEVER is a person? What possible actual fact of reality can lead you to such a position - except of course WANTING it to be the case?

I told you, BIRTH is the determining factor (not breathing.) Breathing is only one of many changes that come at birth.

Did you miss the other things I pointed out about birth? Do I have to repeat them?

So now "moral worth" is a soul? What is that exactly? To say it means "created in the image of God" seems rather circular?

Like I told you before, the "moral worth" you are talking about, and we agree human beings possess, is based on things like what an animal being is, an autonomous member of a species, that it certainly is not something that has NO HUMAN FLESH. (To think "the image of God" is something found in what looks like a rat or less is really to minimize God - I would say what has the image of God should at least have the flesh of a man. )

Are you still wanting to recite the trope, "a human being from the moment of conception," but not confront the ridiculousness of thinking there is an animal having NO ANIMAL FLESH?

But please especially tell me JUST WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED "SOUL" that supposedly can be found in the single cell zygote?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You misunderstand my point. No, it is not likely a baby in the womb lusts. My point was that God judges the heart, not just actions.

I was not saying the baby is demanding grace. The one who claims that all babies that are aborted are saved by God because it would not be fair if God did not give them grace, is the one who is demanding God's grace.

Hi Joe, I'm afraid that you've missed my point as well. My belief concerning the judgement (or rather, the lack thereof) of infants and unborn children puts no demands on God, it simply acknowledges the God given basis, the criteria He tells us He will use, for both the judgment and the condemnation of the reprobate.

Matthew 16
27 The Son of man shall come in the glory of His Father with His angels; and then shall He render unto every man according to his deeds.

If you know of a place in the Bible that tells us God will judge some of us worthy of eternal punishment based upon our "nature" alone, please tell me.

Before we go on, it would probably help me to understand what you believe about all of this a bit more. I understand that you do not believe what Calvin taught (that all babies who die are elect and God will save them because they are), but do you go as far as Servetus did in the other direction? IOW, do you believe that babies and unborn children cannot be saved because they cannot choose to "believe"? Or do you believe something else about them, that 'some' of them will be saved even though they cannot believe (and if the latter, what is the basis for God's choosing of the "some" for salvation)?

Thanks!

--David

Romans 9
9 For this is the word of promise: “AT THIS TIME I WILL COME, AND SARAH SHALL HAVE A SON.”
10 And not only this, but there was Rebekah also, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac;
11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God’s purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls,
12 it was said to her, “THE OLDER WILL SERVE THE YOUNGER.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ok, so birth is the determining factor. That's better at least because we know that by the 11th week the "baby" has skin and blood, and we know that often times a baby is outside the womb for a short period of time before it breathes.

So why birth? Developmentally, a 9 month old still inside the womb is more developed than a prematurely delivered baby that relies on a respirator because it's lungs aren't developed enough.

And I ask about the soul because it seems to me that you must believe fetus' neither have a soul nor are they created in the image of God, because if they were then they would possess inherent moral worth. Thus, it seems you believe that at birth God then gives the baby a soul. But I don't see any evidence of that in Scripture.

And could you answer this question with a simple yes or no please: Would it be morally permissible for a woman to abort a baby that was 2 weeks past her due date for no other reason than the mother decided she didn't want to raise the child anymore?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi SPF, the belief that human "life" begins outside of the womb, when we take our first "breath" and, supposedly, "receive" our souls from God, is based upon Genesis 2:7. Of course, Genesis 2:7 speaks of our first father ALONE, doesn't it, and specifically of the lifeless blob of mud that God formed into the shape of a man who would become the first human being.

This is hardly true of an unborn child within his/her mother's womb, whose physical essence is alive from the moment of conception, so this analogy (between the first man that God created/formed from a blob of lifeless mud and all of his progeny, who are begotten alive at conception), is hardly possible (but the analogy is still made by those who choose to believe this fallacy nevertheless .. :doh:).

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - question, how could John personally experience/respond to the emotion of "joy" if he wasn't "alive" when he was inside his mother's womb, IOW, if he didn't exist yet and all that was in Elizabeth's womb at the time was a soulless blob of cells :scratch:

(Douglas, that last question is for you, of course ;)).

"Behold, when the sound of your greeting reached my ears,
the baby leaped in my womb for joy"

Luke 1:44

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hi SPF, the belief that human "life" begins outside of the womb, when we take our first "breath" and, supposedly, "receive" our souls from God, is based upon Genesis 2:7. Of course, Genesis 2:7 speaks of our first father ALONE, doesn't it, and specifically of the lifeless blob of mud that God formed into the shape of a man who would become the first human being.

This is hardly true of an unborn child within his/her mother's womb, whose physical essence is alive from the moment of conception, so this analogy (between the first man that God created/formed from a blob of lifeless mud and all of his progeny, who are begotten alive at conception), is hardly possible (but the analogy is still made by those who choose to believe this fallacy nevertheless .. :doh:).

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - question, how could John personally experience/respond to the emotion of "joy" if he wasn't "alive" when he was inside his mother's womb, IOW, if he didn't exist yet and all that was in Elizabeth's womb at the time was a soulless blob of cells :scratch:

(Douglas, that last question is for you, of course ;)).

"Behold, when the sound of your greeting reached my ears,
the baby leaped in my womb for joy"

Luke 1:44
Hi David,
What is this "physical essence"? Obviously what is ALIVE at the moment of conception is physical in only the most minimal sense, i.e. is not even visible to the naked eye.
And what it is, what the physical material thing is at this point, is a single cell, the union of a sperm and an egg.

Are you saying the fertilized ovum is THE ESSENTIAL PHYSICALITY OF A PERSON? Much more "essential" than flesh and blood? And also much more physical than flesh?

Are you saying anything more than that the genetics is the essential thing, that there is new genetics?
------------------------------------
I think we've discussed Luke 1 before, right David. Thanks for the reference.
Are you insisting we understand "the babe leaped" as something other than the usual "kicking" or movement of limbs that often occurs in the late fetus? You seem to be saying it was John personally experiencing or responding to Elizabeth's joy; I think that is REALLY A STRETCH, pretty much a fabrication.
There are those who like to appeal to scientific pretense in this area; real science recognizes that COINCIDENCE is not causation. The "when" of v.44 means the two items indicated were coincident - it does NOT mean the one caused or was in any such manner related to the other.

The even bigger fabrication, in my opinion, is that it was John (a man, a disciple of Christ) that was doing something in a womb. Not sure what I need to say at this point about such IMAGINING, that there is a person in a womb; especially since it requires a lot of distortion about what we know of real people to say any such thing, seems to me.
You do seem to acknowledge by your very last point that the bit about "he" being there is based on what I perceive to be the spurious idea that Mary's salutation caused the "babe" to "leap."

On the idea of an "ANALOGY" (a straw man?) between Adam and fetuses, what Genesis 2:7 says is that FOR MAN there is the breath of life, given by God to the human race. And please note that this breath is essential in that when we are without it we are dead! (Speaking of physical essentials, required by the essence of what a man is, or at least the reality.)
Also note that it would seem to be this breath that brought into being the LIVING SOUL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Ok, so birth is the determining factor. That's better at least because we know that by the 11th week the "baby" has skin and blood, and we know that often times a baby is outside the womb for a short period of time before it breathes.

So why birth? Developmentally, a 9 month old still inside the womb is more developed than a prematurely delivered baby that relies on a respirator because it's lungs aren't developed enough.

And I ask about the soul because it seems to me that you must believe fetus' neither have a soul nor are they created in the image of God, because if they were then they would possess inherent moral worth. Thus, it seems you believe that at birth God then gives the baby a soul. But I don't see any evidence of that in Scripture.

I don't think I make any claims about soul - it is YOU that wants to say it is something, and even that it is found inside a womb.
SO TELL ME WHAT IT IS, I need to know what a soul is to know what you are talking about.
(I can maybe give a hint, it seems humankind was given a soul when it was given breath. Gen. 2:7)

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

And could you answer this question with a simple yes or no please: Would it be morally permissible for a woman to abort a baby that was 2 weeks past her due date for no other reason than the mother decided she didn't want to raise the child anymore?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

It's not about "more developed," it's about when it is a human being.

I have already pointed out a number of reasons why "birth," including some of those that determine "human being."
To answer your question about "morally permissible," I cannot answer that question knowing only the one factor - there will be many others both pro and con, I suppose.

NOW YOU TELL ME WHAT A "SOUL" IS, that supposedly it is found in a fetus.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The "reasons" you've pointed out that the human inside the womb is not a human being seem to be left wanting. We know that there is both flesh and blood by 11 weeks so that doesn't seem to work.

I'm still not sure why you mark birth as the moment the fetus miraculously turns into a human.

It can't be the acquisition of flesh and blood because that happens inside the womb. Breathing doesn't seem to work because preemies at times can't breathe on their own if they're born too premature. It can't be development because sometimes babies in the womb that are born late are more developed than babies born early.

Autonomy doesn't make sense because I'm pretty sure that if you're a parent (are you?) you would recognize that newborns are just as dependent, if not more on other people to survive.

As for the soul, I don't want to get too side tracked. I think it's enough for this discussion to simply say that possessing a soul is an integral part of being a human. We are both physical and spiritual in nature.

Thus, if as you suggest we aren't human beings until birth, then it would logically follow that humans in the womb do not possess a soul.

This then leads back to my question regarding the mother who is 2 weeks past her due date deciding to have an abortion. If you were consistent then you shouldn't hesitate to say that there would be nothing immoral about that mother aborting the human inside her because according to you no fetus possesses inherent moral worth.

So why birth?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
The "reasons" you've pointed out that the human inside the womb is not a human being seem to be left wanting. We know that there is both flesh and blood by 11 weeks so that doesn't seem to work.

I'm still not sure why you mark birth as the moment the fetus miraculously turns into a human.

It can't be the acquisition of flesh and blood because that happens inside the womb. Breathing doesn't seem to work because preemies at times can't breathe on their own if they're born too premature. It can't be development because sometimes babies in the womb that are born late are more developed than babies born early.

Autonomy doesn't make sense because I'm pretty sure that if you're a parent (are you?) you would recognize that newborns are just as dependent, if not more on other people to survive.

As for the soul, I don't want to get too side tracked. I think it's enough for this discussion to simply say that possessing a soul is an integral part of being a human. We are both physical and spiritual in nature.

Thus, if as you suggest we aren't human beings until birth, then it would logically follow that humans in the womb do not possess a soul.

This then leads back to my question regarding the mother who is 2 weeks past her due date deciding to have an abortion. If you were consistent then you shouldn't hesitate to say that there would be nothing immoral about that mother aborting the human inside her because according to you no fetus possesses inherent moral worth.

So why birth?

Thanks for the reply SPF. (You could maybe do like David ("St Worm 2) and give a first name to address you by. It's up to you.)
There are a number of problems in what you say in this post. The one most obvious to me involves "a human." First you refer to "the human inside the womb... ." Later "humans in the womb," etc. Your second paragraph with "turns into a human" does not really make sense when you have already called it "the human" in your first sentence.
What is necessary, so as not to claim what is not yet argued for (by merely substituting some words for others that are very similar), is to call what is in the womb what we know FOR SURE it is, and not begin with the conclusion that you may want but needs to be established.
In other words, it is necessary to DISTINGUISH BETWEEN "HUMAN" as in composed of human flesh or having human DNA, "human" the adjective, AND "A HUMAN" OR "A HUMAN BEING" (noun). "A person" is the latter, and of course it is a human person, rather like saying a human human (using both the adjective and the nominative).

Point is, we can very correctly speak of what is in the womb as "human," the cells are human cells just like the cells of a human cancer are human cells. That is what we know for sure, what you and I should certainly be able to agree on.
The point of contention is whether it is a human being, a person, so to call it "a human" or "the human" in the context of this discussion is to ASSUME your conclusion rather than prove it. To correct some of what you said in this regard, I would suggest that you should add a noun like "substance" after the first "human" in your first sentence, so it reads: "The 'reasons' you've pointed out that the human substance inside the womb is not a human being..." Otherwise you are essentially saying "the human is not a human" which does not make sense; I imagine you think my position does not make sense but I WOULD NEVER SAY "THE HUMAN IS NOT A HUMAN BEING." (Which is how your first sentence reads.)
It's great we at least have the knowledge of English that we do. Any who ...

BIRTH IS NOT SOME MIRACULOUS TURNING, as though some hidden essence were added (how you use soul maybe?); it is in no way arbitrary, is precisely and well recognized. And there is not much mystery about what happens at birth. One may not notice everything in witnessing an actual birth, but one can think through what it involves. And certainly birth is not one simple thing.

About preemies sometimes not breathing, I don't think that's true, although they certainly may have assistance breathing. Are there machines that give oxygen to blood in much the same way a woman does to the fetus, with a placenta barrier - I don't think so. They can pump air (oxygen) in and force it back out, I suppose. (Glancing at Wiki I see there can be problems with undeveloped lungs and a need for oxygen supplementation.) But no, like with everyone (born!), no breath means death.

So BREATHING, I would venture to say, is very much a fact of any actual birth (including preemies), and humans have noticed and known this for thousands of years. I already pointed out once to you that this is one very important aspect of that "autonomy" that you want to be so dismissive of. And like we just noticed, A VITAL THING, breath. Without it everyone is dead.
AUTONOMY is not a simple matter of greater independence; it is part of what makes an organism a distinct member of a species. MOBILITY is part of that, the fact that real animals can move from place to place distinguishes them from plants, etc. EATING and DIGESTING distinguish the real animal from its surroundings and are part of what maintains it in those surroundings.

Consider all the constraints the fetus is under, how unlike a real baby it is. Entirely in the dark, NO GOD'S KINGDOM OF LIGHT THERE. With USELESS EYES (no vision) and USELESS MOUTHS (no eating let alone speaking);USELESS LUNGS, USELESS DIGESTIVE SYSTEMS, all this only starts actually working at birth. If the fetus were a human being, it would have to be considered A TOTALLY USELESS, unable to even begin to maintain its self, "ANIMAL." However, that is not what animals are, TOTALLY IMPRISONED, sealed from the world, certainly not in the world and of the world.
Just to have open eyes that register light is a far different reality than tethered inside like a parasite.

I could look up what I said before but I think you can catch the drift. It is no small matter, birth. Very totally consequential.

On your persistent question I told you I couldn't answer, I can say this, if a fetus IN ITSELF possessed no moral worth (I don't really understand what your "moral" adds, or I might say it did possess such, because for instance there are those who would buy and use fetal parts, so it has value in that sense), I would think there are many moral questions about it, about sustaining it to birth, that could be answered based on how able prospective parents are, whether the world needs more children, etc., etc.
A thing one might notice about this is that AS ITS SELF, AS A FETUS, the fetus is of no value to anyone, not wanted by anyone. As a fetus.
ONLY BIRTH GIVES IT VALUE - birth, that event you try to say does not mean much, is the thing of greatest value for the pro-lifer, the one thing many are MOST CONCERNED to see happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My aunt was mentally handicapped, blind, mute, and deaf. She seems to have failed all your autonomy tests except for breathing - did she still qualify as a human being?

And just for clarification, when a baby first fully emerges from the womb, often times the lungs have to be cleared before it takes its first breath. During that brief period of existing outside the womb, yet still having not opened its eyes, not breathing, etc... Is that a human being yet?

At the end of the day, can we throw away all the noise of seeing, hearing, breathing, etc... and simply say that in order for a human being to exist it simply must not be located in a womb?

In which case, the logical conclusion would of course be that abortions would be morally permissible at any stage of pregnancy - even 2 weeks past a woman's due date.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
My aunt was mentally handicapped, blind, mute, and deaf. She seems to have failed all your autonomy tests except for breathing - did she still qualify as a human being?

And just for clarification, when a baby first fully emerges from the womb, often times the lungs have to be cleared before it takes its first breath. During that brief period of existing outside the womb, yet still having not opened its eyes, not breathing, etc... Is that a human being yet?

At the end of the day, can we throw away all the noise of seeing, hearing, breathing, etc... and simply say that in order for a human being to exist it simply must not be located in a womb?

In which case, the logical conclusion would of course be that abortions would be morally permissible at any stage of pregnancy - even 2 weeks past a woman's due date.

"Giving birth" may require a little help with the starting of breathing, that is part of the generally rather brief process (except for the labor). Without breathing it is not an autonomous alive being. I've seen no discussion of the "emerged without breathing" situation, but it would seem to be very much the same as any other person who had temporarily stopped breathing. We try to revive anyone we find in that situation. This is an example of why it is wrong to suppose there is any one thing that is the "test" of what qualifies as a human being. Certainly it is not a parasite-like thing "living" inside total darkness and having no experience of a being in the world, something that for many reasons does not qualify to be an animal.

You do get one vital point about being a human being, and that is that one is NOT a fetus. Re your aunt, etc. But saying that is circular, does not prove the point. Certainly a "due date" is not relevant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Given that my aunt was born mentally handicapped, blind, mute, and deaf - I think we can say that "autonomy" (which you've never defined) doesn't always apply to a human being.

I think we've narrowed our understanding of what distinguishes a fetus from a human being to birth and breathing, right? And breathing doesn't even need to be "autonomous", it can be mechanically driven as in the case of a preemie or unhealthy baby.

Would you agree with that assessment?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Given that my aunt was born mentally handicapped, blind, mute, and deaf - I think we can say that "autonomy" (which you've never defined) doesn't always apply to a human being.

I think we've narrowed our understanding of what distinguishes a fetus from a human being to birth and breathing, right? And breathing doesn't even need to be "autonomous", it can be mechanically driven as in the case of a preemie or unhealthy baby.

Would you agree with that assessment?

NO, certainly not.
All the features I have pointed out remain to distinguish the human being from what is not a human being.
Your aunt has the autonomy of an organism, an animal; she is NOT tethered in the dark like a fetus.

IF YOU WANT TO CALL THE PREEMIE "NOT BORN" OR NOT ACTUALLY A HUMAN BEING THAT IS UP TO YOU. Perhaps it is indeed a borderline case?

That may be ok (or not - I don't know for sure). I do know that the law generally considers the preemie as a born human being and therefore worthy of preservation.
As long as you are clear there is absolutely no possibility of human beingness in the womb.
I certainly wouldn't start defining things so your aunt is not a human being, but if you want to there is perhaps some good reason for doing so?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hi Douglas, we've been down this road before, as I know you know. I remain Pro-Life and believe that the life growing in the womb is a human being, a separate person from his/her mother, and that the intentional destruction of a zygote, embryo or fetus by abortion is murder.

Yours and His,
David
Hi David,
"Murder" has a definite definition, though who and in what circumstances they can be convicted of such will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Do you think what is murder should be based on somebody's BELIEF? That it is not a matter of reality, facts of the world, whether something is MURDER?

Upvote 0