✟1,086,823.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
DNC Chair Tom Perez to Meet With Pro-Life Democrats

I am strongly in favor of Democratic candidates being allowed to advocate pro-life positions for several reasons.

The first, of course, is freedom of conscience. A pro-life Democrat could never run for office as a Republican, because Republicans most likely strongly oppose every single reason Democrats run for office. We are losing lots of good candidates because we don't grant them freedom of conscience (which is, of course, a Catholic principle).

The second reason, of course, is common sense. There are a whole bunch of swing states out there, and if we want a compassionate, fair country that values all those ideals shared by the USCCB---fairness to immigrants, stewardship of the environment, compassion to refugees, universal health care--we have to incentivize a critical number of voters to feel comfortable voting Democratic.

How many pro-lifers of conscience do we lose because they feel it's OK to vote against health care, immigrants, environmental stewardship, and refugees as long as a cynical pro-business Republican says he's pro-life?

I think this requires some hard prayer, guys. Do I think Democrats will abandon feminists en masse? No. If a pro-life Democrat ran against a pro-choice Democrat in a blue state primary, he would most likely lose.

But in every state, they should be welcome to throw their hats in the ring.

I used to get sick at my two former Democratic senators. No respectable New Yorker would have ever called them Democrats. One became a lobbyist for Monsanto after losing--after being an advocate for the small farmers for years. RRRRRight....

But for all the Democratic causes they abandoned while pretending to be Democrats in a red state, they never abandoned their pro-choice positions. They kow-towed to business, but not to pro-lifers. They really disgusted me (but not as much as their opponents--or their successors--did).

So I hope Tom Perez gets over his pro-life ban, and helps Democrats in swing and red states follow their consciences and become competitive.

Yes, I know this has to relate to Catholicism. Specific parts are italicized.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tom Perez and others like him in the Democratic Party trying to force their views on my conscience is so objectionable to me that I don't want anything to do with the party. I will and have voted for Democrats but only if I cannot find a moderate Republican to vote for. In all honesty it has gotten harder and harder to find a moderate in either party. The politics in this country resemble the Civil War.

Upvote 0