Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I'd love to find an agreement myself, but in the end it always comes down to who has the authority to declare that a particular interpretation of scripture is correct. In absence of that authority we swing from one extreme to the other, lacking any authoritative statement on the interpretation. Is it not therefore more to do with coming into submission to an authority? If so who's authority?

Each of us can make our own interpretation of the scripture. Many have done so both on the conservative and liberal side of christianity. This always leads me to the point of when in doubt about who has the authority here on earth to decide these matters once and for all, we must offer it up to God and submit to the fact that we have no certain answer to this question.

Each side of the debate will claim authority, I should add, but I will humbly state that I feel the grounds for many authorities are on shaky ground. We must in private conversation with God, seeks his will on this matter and ask that he guides us where human authority on the matter has failed us.

This issue has really touched my heart as I have read through these forums. I get a sense of rebellion and disunity based on judgement and unforgiveness, and I don't just feel that on the liberal side either. The problems exists equally on both sides. I will make my thoughts on these issues private between God and myself from now on, and will not assume to have the authority above Him to declare what interpretation is in His will.

The passage where Jesus talks of Peter being the Rock seems critical to any interpretations, don't you think?

Historically who has authority is what is really at the heart of this matter. We are still some way from coming into unity over this issue, so in the meantime we can expect nothing but discordant voices. Where we find unity, we have certianty, where we have disunity we have uncertainty.

Upvote 0

Heartman

Follower of Christ
Feb 14, 2004
✟453.00
Faith
Christian
Crazy Liz said:
I often wonder why God allows brothers and sisters to continue to disagree about such important questions.

Sister, what choice is there?

"If I warn the wicked, saying, ‘You are under the penalty of death,’ but you fail to deliver the warning, they will die in their sins. And I will hold you responsible, demanding your blood for theirs. If you warn them and they keep on sinning and refuse to repent, they will die in their sins. But you will have saved your life because you did what you were told to do."

"If good people turn bad and don’t listen to my warning, they will die. If you did not warn them of the consequences, then they will die in their sins. Their previous good deeds won’t help them, and I will hold you responsible, demanding your blood for theirs. But if you warn them and they repent, they will live, and you will have saved your own life, too.” Ezekiel 3:18-21

"My dear brothers and sisters, if anyone among you wanders away from the truth and is brought back again, you can be sure that the one who brings that person back will save that sinner from death and bring about the forgiveness of many sins." James 5:19-20

"But you, my dear friends, must remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ told you, that in the last times there would be scoffers whose purpose in life is to enjoy themselves in every evil way imaginable. Now they are here, and they are the ones who are creating divisions among you. They live by natural instinct because they do not have God’s Spirit living in them."

"But you, dear friends, must continue to build your lives on the foundation of your holy faith. And continue to pray as you are directed by the Holy Spirit. Live in such a way that God’s love can bless you as you wait for the eternal life that our Lord Jesus Christ in his mercy is going to give you. Show mercy to those whose faith is wavering. Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment."

"There are still others to whom you need to show mercy, but be careful that you aren’t contaminated by their sins. And now, all glory to God, who is able to keep you from stumbling, and who will bring you into his glorious presence innocent of sin and with great joy. All glory to him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Yes, glory, majesty, power, and authority belong to him, in the beginning, now, and forevermore. Amen."
Jude 17-25

Heartman

Upvote 0

Heartman

Follower of Christ
Feb 14, 2004
✟453.00
Faith
Christian
QUOTE fromCrazy Liz In light of this, Heartman,how can you close your ears and your mind to your bruthers and sisters?

Dear Liz,

Such a rhetorical remark often signals a break in fruitfull efforts. Beyond this single paragraph, I will not act as my own advocate, for I do not work on my own behalf. "If you are suggesting that I do not ache for others you are mistaken. If you are referring to the principled convictions I hold and teach without diversion, question or doubt, you are correct."

On a different note, if I may. You always have been a puzzle to me Liz. You seem to investigate, speculate, analyse, catagorize and detail data like no one I have seen before, no matter what the subject at hand. You have a brilliant mind, but where is it directed? I know you know the facts, but what do you understand? What cause are you committed to Sister? What solid convictions do you hold. What really matters to you? Liz, what are you looking for? What do you hunger and thirst for?

With Christian brotherly love, and respect,
Heartman

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Heartman said:
On a different note, if I may. You always have been a puzzle to me Liz. You seem to investigate, speculate, analyse, catagorize and detail data like no one I have seen before, no matter what the subject at hand. You have a brilliant mind, but where is it directed? I know you know the facts, but what do you understand? What cause are you committed to Sister? What solid convictions do you hold. What really matters to you? Liz, what are you looking for? What do you hunger and thirst for?

With Christian brotherly love, and respect,
Heartman

Thank you, Heartman.

As for my personal commitment, it is not to a cause. Believe me, I am as frustrated as you with this conversation.

I would like to share with you what I do understand, and how, but you have insisted on keeping the discussion abstract and one-dimensional. Yes, I can hold my own at that level of discussion, but I think it's easy to miss something when we insist on looking at a problem only from one angle.

Like you, my heart breaks for all the broken marriages the people of God could help to heal, but feel unable to do anything about. Probably we have both been thinking about this for many, many years. Personally, this has touched me in a very different way than it has touched you. I want to know God's heart on this question so I can minister healing and wholeness. I would love to have someone who has studied as much as you have consider the things I think I've discovered, take a fresh look at it, and give me some honest feedback. Yet I find most people either aren't interested, haven't studied, feel helpless, or are unwilling to think about something different from the conclusion they have already reached.

I think God's Word tells us what we, as a church, can and must do when Humpty Dumpty can't be put back together again. If you don't want to talk on this level in public, send me a PM. Either way, I'll keep praying.

Upvote 0

CSMR

Totally depraved
Nov 6, 2003
Oxford, UK & Princeton, USA
Visit site
✟3,466.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I looked into this question a few months ago.
David Instone-Brewer has has studied biblical marriage law. I think he has a good approach. You can read one of his books, and chapter summaries at:
http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Brewer/PPages/DRC/Index.htm
He finds that what Jesus said about remarriage after divorce applies to "divorces for any cause", a then common easy-to-obtain divorce, which Jesus does not consider a valid divorce. Therefore remarriage is technically adultery. He says that under Jewish law a divorce assumed the right to remarry, and could be given for reasons other than fornication. He claims that Jesus doesn't contradict this, despite only excepting fornication in the gospels, and takes some support from Paul.
I think he has a plausible and consistent position which resolves some of the seeming biblical contradictions.

Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Yet I find most people either aren't interested, haven't studied, feel helpless, or are unwilling to think about something different from the conclusion they have already reached.

I'm willing to learn. :)

Study can be a full-time occupation though, so I don't think it's an option for the majority of people.

That being said, I listen to both sides of the argument and draw my own conclusions. People can't just drop life and go off and scholastically approach real and immediate problems. So they do what they can within using their best judgement. Some opt for the strictest interpretation and others approached it with a view to more liberal interpretations.

In my view the sharpness and/or clarity of Christian philosophical thought has failed to develop alongside rational philosophies and its philosophical thought that is the driving force behind society. We have been stuck in a quagmire of deeply entrenched dogma, as opposed to taking on the philosophies of rationalism head on. We should be brave enough to step out of dogmatic structures and take the battle to the rationalists. In doing so we define our beliefs more clearly and they can be applied more practically to everyday life.

/me throws hands up in the air....

Bah!..perhaps I expect too much...hehehe :)

Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
CSMR said:
I looked into this question a few months ago.
David Instone-Brewer has has studied biblical marriage law. I think he has a good approach. You can read one of his books, and chapter summaries at:
He finds that what Jesus said about remarriage after divorce applies to "divorces for any cause", a then common easy-to-obtain divorce, which Jesus does not consider a valid divorce. Therefore remarriage is technically adultery. He says that under Jewish law a divorce assumed the right to remarry, and could be given for reasons other than fornication. He claims that Jesus doesn't contradict this, despite only excepting fornication in the gospels, and takes some support from Paul.
I think he has a plausible and consistent position which resolves some of the seeming biblical contradictions.

You need to edit your link CSMR. It's been incorrectly done.

I found it by taking out the extra bits

Here it is in correct form.

A quick perusal of the website and I am pleased. It's going to take a lot of reading to come to any final conclusion on my thoughts about it. At least he is attempting to come to some rational, historical and scriptural basis for his point of view.

Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Mustaphile said:
I'm willing to learn. :)

Study can be a full-time occupation though, so I don't think it's an option for the majority of people.

I agree. Why am I replying to messages here when I have so much studying to do? :scratch: ;)

That being said, I listen to both sides of the argument and draw my own conclusions.

If this is what you do, I think you are making a mistake. I think it is a mistake to view this question as merely framing a two-sided argument.

People can't just drop life and go off and scholastically approach real and immediate problems.

Very true. And exactly how scholastically you approach the scripture, how real and immediate the problems are, and how many similar problems one has seen and dealt with all affect the quality of the result of study.

So they do what they can within using their best judgement. Some opt for the strictest interpretation and others approached it with a view to more liberal interpretations.

This is why one of the principles many Christians use in making difficult judgments is not to do it alone, but to be informed by brothers and sisters. I come from an Anabaptist background, which emphasizes the idea that the whole church interprets scripture together.

In my view the sharpness and/or clarity of Christian philosophical thought has failed to develop alongside rational philosophies and its philosophical thought that is the driving force behind society. We have been stuck in a quagmire of deeply entrenched dogma, as opposed to taking on the philosophies of rationalism head on. We should be brave enough to step out of dogmatic structures and take the battle to the rationalists. In doing so we define our beliefs more clearly and they can be applied more practically to everyday life.

...perhaps...

I've reached some rather unconventional conclusions based on seeing thousands of divorces "up close," and studying scripture and theology. I would love to be able to find someone seriously interested in testing these ideas, because I think they address issues other Christians have missed. I started at the beginning of this thread with the ontological question. I think many Western Christians veered off-track during the Middle Ages by arguing that what appears to be a marriage might not really be a marriage and what appears to be a divorce is not really a divorce. I can find no support in scripture for this view. This view originated in the Latin West, and I have a feeling it was a result of scholasticism and possibly a wrong understanding because of linguistic differences between Latin and Greek.

Here is where it starts: First, Jesus said, "What God has joined together, a human must not separate." In Greek, this is a third-person imperative, or jussive verb. We do not have jussives in English. I do not believe Latin has Jussives, either, or if it does, they look just like indicative verbs. The question, then, is whether Jesus means separating what God has joined is something that is impossible to do, or that it is possible to do, but forbidden. The Greek indicates it is possible to do, but forbidden. There is no reason to command anyone not to do the impossible. If it truly were impossible, Jesus would have said it a different way.

Second, (actually, this should not come second, but there should be a lot of steps in-between, but this is often the second question in the real world) what are we as Christians to do when a command of the Lord has been broken? I think scripture gives a lot of guidance on this. Personally, I think the key scriptures are in Matthew 16-20. WRT marriage issues, Paul then gives real-life examples of how to apply these principles in 1 Corinthians. Neither Jesus nor Paul ever says to the divorced and remarried, "Leave your second spouse." Rather they both say, "Don't divorce." I think this establishes pretty clearly that the end-game is not based on applying logic to the ontological question of whether the past marriage or divorce is valid or not. We never see the validity of a marriage or divorce addressed in scripture. There are some who argue that when Jesus says a divorced and remarried person "commits adultery," this is an ontological statement that the divorce is not valid. However, when Jesus says a person who hates his brother is guilty of murder, Jesus is not making an ontological statement that the hated person is dead. I think this is a misinterpretation.

Instead, when a sin has been committed and things can't be put right again between the sinner and the sinned-against person privately, such issues are to be taken to the church, which has the power to "bind and loose" (Matthew 18). Jesus and Paul have both given advice on when to bind and when to loose. For example, they both say it is better for the married to remain married and for the unmarried to remain unmarried. If this is impossible, we seek the Lord's wisdom and discernment together and go on from there.

Now, in contrast, I'm going to state what I think Heartman's view is, and ask him to correct me if I'm wrong. I think Heartman, or some people he knows, have been hurt by pastors who loosed a spouse too quickly. Many pastors do this when they perform a second marriage. They do not try to help mend the previous marriage. They do not counsel the divorced spouse to stay as she is or else be reconciled to her husband. They do not investigate whether her statement that the previous marriage cannot ever be restored is true or not. They do not make the decision to "bind or loose" within the whole community of faith that knows these people, their families, and their histories, as well as their strengths and weaknesses. Now, if I am correct, I agree 100% with Heartman that this is a very grave wrong.

However, I do not agree with him that the solution to this wrong is to say the church can never "loose" anyone and allow them to remarry. This process of discernment and judgment is a serious responsibility of the church, and should be handled in a way that seeks maximum love and wholeness for wounded people. If the spouse who has been abandoned, abused, mistreated, or cheated-on can stay single, waiting for a restoration, this is second-best (best being a healthy marriage). If that spouse can stay single and celibate even after their ex has remarried, still a very good thing. But if that person does not have the gift of celibacy and have tried to restore the marriage, but the whole church has given up hope of ever doing that (as in the example Paul gives of a believing spouse abandoned by a non-believer) then the church is enslaving this person if it uses its power to "bind and loose" to bind, instead of to loose. The Jewish law does this to women, who are called agunah, or chained women. It is mentioned or alluded to in several OT narratives in cases where a widow's dead husband has a brother who is too young to marry her under the levirate system. It happens today when a Jewish husband is missing in action. There is no proof this woman's husband is dead, and he has not given her a get or "bill of divorce," so even though everyone is sure he is really dead, she is still chained, bound and enslaved to a dead man and a dead marriage. The same thing happens today if her husband divorces her legally, but doesn't give her the religious divorce. When Paul says, in 1 Corinthians 7, "She is not bound," or "She is not enslaved" (depending on your translation), he is saying the church should not follow the Jewish practice of keeping women in this agunah state.

Deciding questions of "binding and loosing" is a process that takes time and discernment. It can't be done in a vacuum, but only in a community of faith that is willing to support each other unconditionally in trying to live a holy life.

In a few paragraphs, this is the result of my study. I'd be interested in hearing your comments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heartman

Follower of Christ
Feb 14, 2004
✟453.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Crazy Liz,

....some people he knows, have been hurt by pastors who loosed a spouse too quickly. Many pastors do this when they perform a second marriage. They do not try to help mend the previous marriage.-Crazy Liz

Fancy meeting you here! There is a lot to digest in your letter, but I am chewing. I wanted to comment on this point. I will ignore the "loosed a spouse too quickly" phrase which separates our theology a distance wider than the east is from the west. But otherwise, even though I have not experienced it personally, I have witnessed it from thousands of people we have counselled, answered questions for and heard their personal stories, as they have confided in the ministry. Often I am on the phone with some of them half the night. They represent victims, victimizers, pastors, and in a few cases, children themselves. They are representative of untold millions of victims of "another gospel."

The devastation looks like a slaughter house of sin and disease. That is why the team members and I work around the clock to call the church back to faithfulness. Liz, I know you have worked up to your elbows in the same mess. But my beloved sister, I believe you are treating the symptoms instead of attacking the disease.

Its a blood bath out there, and I could sure use some active, talented assistance from someone like you if you would come along side, so I remain hopeful. Satan is alive and well and he is slaughtering families from inside the church! This isn't just about patching problems, can't you see that sister. Don't get me wrong, we spend 90% of out time treating the wounded with all the love and wisdom God gives us. Its a war of ideas, ideas that lead to repentance, or ideas that lead to sin, and we are not to be neutral.

"I do not agree with him that the solution to this wrong is to say the church can never "loose" anyone and allow them to remarry." Crazy Liz

In my opinion, this is the very root of the problem Liz. May God bless you.

Heartman

Upvote 0

CSMR

Totally depraved
Nov 6, 2003
Oxford, UK & Princeton, USA
Visit site
✟3,466.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
CrazyLiz said:
I've reached some rather unconventional conclusions based on seeing thousands of divorces "up close," and studying scripture and theology. I would love to be able to find someone seriously interested in testing these ideas, because I think they address issues other Christians have missed. I started at the beginning of this thread with the ontological question. I think many Western Christians veered off-track during the Middle Ages by arguing that what appears to be a marriage might not really be a marriage and what appears to be a divorce is not really a divorce.
Doesn't sound unconventional, as far as protestantism goes. [Luther, the estate of marriage: Know therefore that marriage is an outward, bodily thing, like any other worldly undertaking. (Following up from his attack on the sacraments in on the Babelonian captivity)]
CrazyLiz said:
I do not believe Latin has Jussives, either, or if it does, they look just like indicative verbs.
I think third person imperatives exist in latin, but are very rare. A gerundive would be equal to the task.
I looked up the vulgate, and it used the subjunctive:
quod ergo Deus coniunxit homo non separet
separet is the present subjunctive "may he separate" or "let him separate", which would give "What God has joined may/let man not separate", which is hard to translate as "man is unable to separate". (That would be "homo separare non potest, potest=can.) Subjunctives are somewhat ambiguous things though. We just get some desire or longing or will on the part of Jesus that man not separate what God has joined.
Ages since I studied latin. Brings back good memories.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
CSMR said:
Doesn't sound unconventional, as far as protestantism goes. [Luther, the estate of marriage: Know therefore that marriage is an outward, bodily thing, like any other worldly undertaking. (Following up from his attack on the sacraments in on the Babelonian captivity)]

Thanks for that note on Luther, and the Latin lesson.

I am concerned about theological frameworks that create legal fictions. I don't think Moses, Jesus, Paul, or anyone else in the Bible thought of marriage and divorce this way. Yet a few biblical characters played around with legal fictions in connection with marriage - Abraham and Isaac, Pharaoh, Abimelech, perhaps Hagar, Bilha and Zipporah, the levirate system... There certainly were a lot of irregularities in OT families, especially in Jesus' own ancestry. Could we actually determine which marriages were valid and which were invalid?

I find Luther's straightforwardness rings more true.

I'm aware that my ontological view of marriage is not unconventional for protestants. What is unconventional is where it touches ecclesiology. Is that part so "out there" that no one is interested in talking about it?

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
Heartman said:
Fancy meeting you here! There is a lot to digest in your letter, but I am chewing.

Good! I've been hoping for some feedback.

But otherwise, even though I have not experienced it personally, I have witnessed it from thousands of people we have counselled, answered questions for and heard their personal stories, as they have confided in the ministry. Often I am on the phone with some of them half the night. They represent victims, victimizers, pastors, and in a few cases, children themselves. They are representative of untold millions of victims of "another gospel."

The devastation looks like a slaughter house of sin and disease. That is why the team members and I work around the clock to call the church back to faithfulness. Liz, I know you have worked up to your elbows in the same mess. But my beloved sister, I believe you are treating the symptoms instead of attacking the disease.

Yes and no. The symptoms can't be ignored. Hurting people need someone to minister to them, as you well know.

One of the things that has got us into this mess is the breakdown of Christian community and lack of pastoral care. The root of the disease, as I see it, is in our ecclesiology. Lack of commitment to our brothers and sisters matches lack of commitment in marriage. Mobility, thinking of church as a service provider, consumerism, fragmentation, etc. - all these lead to people having no place where they are transparent enough to build integrity except possibly the home. When the nuclear family is in trouble, there is no extended family or church family to shore it up.

Its a blood bath out there, and I could sure use some active, talented assistance from someone like you if you would come along side, so I remain hopeful.

:)

The way I read the Bible, it is just as wrong to break up second marriages as to break up first marriages. If we could find a way to stop working against each other on this one issue, I think we could effectively cooperate.

Satan is alive and well and he is slaughtering families from inside the church! This isn't just about patching problems, can't you see that sister. Don't get me wrong, we spend 90% of out time treating the wounded with all the love and wisdom God gives us. Its a war of ideas, ideas that lead to repentance, or ideas that lead to sin, and we are not to be neutral.

"I do not agree with him that the solution to this wrong is to say the church can never "loose" anyone and allow them to remarry." Crazy Liz

In my opinion, this is the very root of the problem Liz. May God bless you.

Heartman

And you, also.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think "common sense theology" applies to this subject.

There is a passage where the pharisees criticised Jesus for healing on the sabbath. Jesus responded by pointing out that they circumcized a child on the sabbath when the eighth day fell on the sabbath yet didn't consider that breaking the sababth. Biblical commands clearly stated that a child must be circumcized on the eighth day but it also stated that the sababth must be kept. The pharisees resolved this contradiction by making an exception based on "common sense". Jesus justified healing on the sabbath on the same basis. He said "is it lawful to do good on the sabbath" and in another place "the sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath"

Now I know this is a discussion about marriage and not the sabbath. But I think the principle applies that there is a time for common sense in these matters. Clearly God commanded against divorce. But also clearly he made these laws for our good and not to harm us. If a person is in a abusive situation (which is not covered in the scripture by the way) then I think God's commands against divorce are not there to keep us in bondage.
If even the pharisees could use common sense to resolve tough issues, then we as christians should be able to also. One other situation that comes to my mind is the situation of abandonment. If a spouse abandons the other spouse, is that person obligated to stay single? Commons ense tells me no. The command about staying single is speaking to persons where there is a hope of reconciliation in my opinion.

Anyway, do whatever you do with a clear conscience. Common sense theology is not for the purpose of justifying sins but rather to keep in perspective that rules are made for man and not man for rules. Divorce hurts people, espeacially the children. It is always lawful to do good and to love no matter what rules people throw at us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
It is always lawful to do good and to love no matter what rules people throw at us.

Which makes me think of some scripture.

13Remember, Brothers, to you the Call came to give you freedom. Only do not make your freedom an opportunity for self-indulgence, but serve one another in a loving spirit. 14Indeed, the whole Law has been summed up in this one precept- -'Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thou dost thyself.' 15But, if you are continually wounding and preying upon one another, take care that you are not destroyed by one another. 16This is what I have to say--Let your steps be guided by the Spirit, and then you will never gratify the cravings of your earthly nature. 17For these cravings of our earthly nature conflict with the Spirit, and the Spirit with our earthly nature--they are two contrary principles--so that you cannot do what you wish. 18But, if you follow the guidance of the Spirit, you are not subject to Law. 19The sins of our earthly nature are unmistakable. They are sins like these--unchastity, impurity, indecency, 20Idolatry, sorcery, quarrels, strife, jealousy, outbursts of passion, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21Feelings of envy, drunkenness, revelry, and the like. And I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who indulge in such things will have no place in the Kingdom of God. 22But the fruit produced by the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindliness, generosity, trustfulness, gentleness, self- control. 23Against such things there is no law! 24And those who belong to Jesus, the Christ, have already crucified their earthly nature, with its passions and its cravings. 25Since our Life is due to the Spirit, let us rule our conduct also by the Spirit. 26Do not let us grow vain, and provoke or envy one another.

If there is no law against these fruits of the spirit, then they are the key to how we should approach divorce and remarriage. If two partners our believers following the Spirit then they are equally yoked, but if one partner is no longer working in the Spirit, but in the flesh, then they are now unequally yoked.

Just a thought. :)

Obviously it would be more complex than that as often times there is some earthly nature on in both parties, but if at least one side can be brought to the Spirit, then there is room for justification of an unequally yoked relationship.

Reactions: Yitzchak
Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Mustaphile said:
Which makes me think of some scripture.

If there is no law against these fruits of the spirit, then they are the key to how we should approach divorce and remarriage. If two partners our believers following the Spirit then they are equally yoked, but if one partner is no longer working in the Spirit, but in the flesh, then they are now unequally yoked.

Just a thought. :)

Obviously it would be more complex than that as often times there is some earthly nature on in both parties, but if at least one side can be brought to the Spirit, then there is room for justification of an unequally yoked relationship.
Oops , I cut out your scripture quote by mistake. It was a good one too. Anyway, I agree 100%. We cannot fool the Lord who knows our hearts better than even we know them ourselves. I highly favor a christianity which is a living relationship with a living Lord. Religion tends to bring us into bondage. We are free in Christ. But not free so that we can sin.

Divorcing so that I can fulfill the lusts of my flesh more is clearly wrong by any intepretation. Freedom can lead to dangerous conclusions for those whose hearts are not right. But nonetheless, whom the son has set free is free indeed.

Upvote 0

Heartman

Follower of Christ
Feb 14, 2004
✟453.00
Faith
Christian
Yitzchak said:
Oops , I cut out your scripture quote by mistake. It was a good one too. Anyway, I agree 100%. We cannot fool the Lord who knows our hearts better than even we know them ourselves. I highly favor a christianity which is a living relationship with a living Lord. Religion tends to bring us into bondage. We are free in Christ. But not free so that we can sin.

Divorcing so that I can fulfill the lusts of my flesh more is clearly wrong by any intepretation. Freedom can lead to dangerous conclusions for those whose hearts are not right. But nonetheless, whom the son has set free is free indeed.

But nonetheless, whom the son has set free is free indeed.

Yes, we are free from the bondage of sin, not free from the obligation to obey Christ's commands on marriage. Anyone who uses their "salvation ticket" to liscense sin, does not have one. To indicate that freedom in Christ is freedom to sin is probably the single most false doctrine alive today.

Heartman

Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Heartman said:
But nonetheless, whom the son has set free is free indeed.

Yes, we are free from the bondage of sin, not free from the obligation to obey Christ's commands on marriage. Anyone who uses their "salvation ticket" to liscense sin, does not have one. To indicate that freedom in Christ is freedom to sin is probably the single most false doctrine alive today.

Heartman

But you sin now, Heartman. :) Or do you have no sin in your life?

We are all sinners. The blood of Christ covers our sins. When we are before God, he will make the judgement on whether we sought to follow his commandments or not. If we judge harshly, we will be harshly judged by God. God forgives your sin, as you should forgive others of their sin.

You take it to far when you say that people who want to remarry are licencing sin. They are not licencing sin. They will remarry and carry on their walk with God.

Upvote 0

Heartman

Follower of Christ
Feb 14, 2004
✟453.00
Faith
Christian
Dearly loved friends,

I had been eagerly planning to write to you about the salvation we all share. But now I find that I must write about something else, urging you to defend the truth of the Good News.

God gave this unchanging truth once for all time to his holy people. I say this because some godless people have wormed their way in among you, saying that God’s forgiveness allows us to live immoral lives. The fate of such people was determined long ago, for they have turned against our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

I must remind you—and you know it well—that even though the Lord rescued the whole nation of Israel from Egypt, he later destroyed every one of those who did not remain faithful. And I remind you of the angels who did not stay within the limits of authority God gave them but left the place where they belonged. God has kept them chained in prisons of darkness, waiting for the day of judgment.

And don’t forget the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighboring towns, which were filled with sexual immorality and every kind of sexual perversion. Those cities were destroyed by fire and are a warning of the eternal fire that will punish all who are evil.

Jude 3-7

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.